Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Real Learning Bloggers: Join the Webring! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

OK, ladies, to make it easier to keep up with all these wonderful new blogs, I have started a Real Learning webring. This is a way of linking all our blogs (and websites) in a chain, so that people can click through from one to the next very easily.

If you haven't seen a webring before, go to my blog and scroll down to the bottom of the righthand sidebar. You'll see a section called "Rings and Things" where I have links to several webrings—including the new Real Learning Blogs ring.

To enter your blog in the webring, go here. (Or click "join" on the ring info at my blog.)

After you join, you'll need to add the webring HTML to your site. Typepad users: add it in the Notes section of a Typelist. (Make sure the typelist is configured to display notes.)

I can help you get the code in place if you have trouble. It will look something like this:

Quote:
<table border=0>
<tr><td>
<div style="{padding: 5px; border: solid 1px #0000aa;}">
<center><b><a href="http://melissawiley.typepad.com/bonnyglen">Real Learning Blogs</a></b><br></center>
<a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;acti on=addform">Join</a> |
<a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;acti on=list">List</a> |
<a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;id=1 ;action=prev">Prev</a> |
<a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;id=1 ;action=next">Next</a> |
<div align=right><a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/"><sup>Powered by RingSurf</sup></a></div>
</div>
</td></tr>
</table>

(But your site ID number will be different. Also, the code you are given by Ringsurf when you join may be longer, because they include more scrolling options--random, skip next, etc. I chose to include only the code for Join, List, Prev, and Next on my blog. I can help you customize your code if you wish.)

Let's include ALL our member blogs--food, gardening, and the rest. This is a great way to build traffic to your site, and our non-blogging 4Real-ers might find it easier to keep up with our sites in this way.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Neat! I'm off to try it! Thanks for setting it up Lissa!

ETA: so far it's not working on blogspirit. I think because it is too wide? I've had trouble with that before. I'm trying to add it to a sidebar. I think I'll be able to add it somewhere to the bottom when I have more time...

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Great, Amy! I see you're in the queue; you just need to get the code added to your site.

We're off and running!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

oops, just saw your update. You can add <br> between the next/prev/join/etc sections to break it up if need be.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Lissa, you're a genius even post-partum, I LOVE it!! Thanks for hooking us all up here, brilliant I'm in!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thanks Lissa! I *think* I did it!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Meredith, Sweetness and Light is up and running now. Your others are still awaiting the code. (You're probably working on that right now.)

Dawn, I'm getting a "site does not respond" message for yours--looks like there's an extra http:// in your URL?

UPDATE--never mind--I was able to fix that part--but now it's telling me there's something wrong with your code. I see you got it inserted on your site, but for some reason it says there's an error. Maybe try copying and pasting the code again?

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Lissa wrote:
Meredith, Sweetness and Light is up and running now. Your others are still awaiting the code.

Lissa, I think I messed up Mama's Muse and Poetry Muse let me know if they come up at all. Thanks, the kitchen one should be up already.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Kitchen one says:

Quote:
This http://happyheartsmom.typepad.com/sweetness_in_the_kitchen/ site failed the test because of the following reasons:

action=next Failed
Right Code Should be:href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;i d=5;action=next"

action=prev Failed
Right Code Should be:href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;i d=5;action=prev"

?

Your other two are in the queue & awaiting code. Mama's Muse is there twice--looks like the second one was meant to be your poetry blog?

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote amyable

So do we get a new code for each of our different blogs - like I'd get one code for Among Women and Another for Haiku of a Homeschooler or my kitchen blog, etc?

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Lissa wrote:
I see you got it inserted on your site, but for some reason it says there's an error. Maybe try copying and pasting the code again?

Lissa, I re-copied and pasted the code ~ maybe that worked?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Lissa,
You are amazingly on top of things, esp. for a woman with a newborn.

I just joined and added the code to my site ... is that all I need to do from my end?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Lissa wrote:
Kitchen one says:

Quote:
This http://happyheartsmom.typepad.com/sweetness_in_the_kitchen/ site failed the test because of the following reasons:

action=next Failed
Right Code Should be:href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;i d=5;action=next"

action=prev Failed
Right Code Should be:href="http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=reallearning;i d=5;action=prev"

?

Your other two are in the queue & awaiting code. Mama's Muse is there twice--looks like the second one was meant to be your poetry blog?

Well, I did check and the code is appearing on all my sites?? I think I just made a typo with the Mama's and can I go back in and change it later??

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Great idea Lissa

I think I managed to add mine OK.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Karen, yours is working!

Everybody else is coming up with code errors--I don't know what the problem is because I assume you're just cutting and pasting the chunk of code into place, and Ringsurf keeps telling me people have just one little bit of code wrong, not the whole thing. And it's never the same little bit! Kathryn, yours says the code for the "Join" link isn't right. Dawn, yours is still saying your Previous and Next links are off.

But I'm sure you're pasting it in correctly, since the rest of your code is working! Maybe there's a break or an extra space or somthing somewhere?

Meredith and Karen, could I ask you to make one little tweak in your code? The URL that links to "Real Learning Blogs" should be: http://melissawiley.typepad.com/reallearningwebring
(Currently yours says /bonnyglen -- I made a new page for the webring's home page, and you two got your code in place before Ringsurf recorded the change. No hurry on changing it--as it currently is, people who click on that link will just wind up at my blog instead of the webring page. I won't fuss about the traffic!)

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

amyable wrote:
So do we get a new code for each of our different blogs - like I'd get one code for Among Women and Another for Haiku of a Homeschooler or my kitchen blog, etc?

Yes, register each separate site separately. You'll get a different ring ID number for each one. That way, people clicking through the ring will get to all of your blogs.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Elizabeth, you're in!

Dawn & Meredith, I got you fixed up--you're in!

UPDATE: Kathryn's in, Rebecca's Babylove is in, but your others aren't coming up right yet, Rebecca.

We're getting there!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 23 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I only did Real Learning and then got called away to referee Settlers of Catan .

I'm a little confused; please bear with me. How is this better than just a sidebar list of links? How is it better than bloglines (which I finally set up yesterday and just )?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Wonderful idea! I did one of mine, so far. I will try to add a couple on Tuesday. Thank you for setting this up.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

AHA!!! I figured out part of the problem. It's just the Typepad users: If you've enrolled multiple blogs and added the code to the bottom of your 4 Real Learning Blog typelist, your SITE ID NUMBER is set to keep bringing people back to your main site over and over. So Meredith, for example, when I try to click through the whole webring, I get to Sweetness in the Kitchen and it sticks there. I'll move your spinoff blogs back to the queue until we get it sorted out.

I guess you'll need a new Typelist for each of your blogs, with the code specific to each site you enroll in the ring.

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version