Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Chemistry books for middle readers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 12 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Can anyone recommend beginning chemistry living books for 3rd and 6-7th grade?

TIA!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I'd love to hear about some too We're using Secrets of the Universe this coming year and in Matter and Energy Ch. 3: Mendeleyev's Periodic Law, it is an intro to chemistry.

I've been wanting to buy Jean Henri Fabre's Wonder Book of Chemistry and maybe use some chapters when we read through Matter and Energy. Anyone used it? Does it fit Donna Marie's criteria?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I was also thinking about The Mystery of the Periodic Table.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2011 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I don't have time to link these, gals, but I wanted to suggest these books. We used them last year and they were enjoyed by 5th grade - 9th grade so I think they all fit perfectly within your criteria, Donna Marie. They narrate very well, and spring-boarded many experiments and investigations on their own (not led by me, but pursued at the child's interest). Some of these may be oop.

The Wonder Book of Chemistry by Jean Henri Fabre
It's Elementary: How Chemistry Rocks Our World by Robert Winston
The Mystery of the Periodic Table by Benjamin Wiker
The How and Why Wonder Book of Chemistry by Martin Keen (How and Why Books)
The Chemical History of a Candle by Michael Faraday (better suited to an older or chemistry passionate reader)
Periodic Kingdom: Journey Into The Land of the Chemical Elements by P.W. Atkins (better suited to an older or chemistry passionate reader)

Also, I added the University of Nottingham's periodic table of elements in video to the kid's lesson plans 1 -3 times weekly. I assigned one video/element for each visit. Nothing made chemistry of the elements come alive more for them than this site! Do consider adding this (free) site to your plans!!

For studying chemistry, you'll want to check out elements.wlonk for their free and very engaging printables.

Chembalancer game (free online) - fun game for beginners balancing chemical equations.

Animated intro to oxygen - my kids absolutely love this and can now quote it VERBATIM!!!

The Periodic Table of Elements in song - this song contains all elements known circa 1955, so it is somewhat dated, but still fun!

Hope this is a start for you both!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:

My mom is reading a couple pages each day with my older girls (2nd - 5th grade) right now and it's a really nice book! It's a beautiful and fun book without being silly and trite.

Some of it is a bit over their heads, so I'd say it's a great book for that 3rd-7th grade range that you're looking for.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

quote Also, I added the University of Nottingham's periodic table of elements in video to the kid's lesson plans 1 -3 times weekly. I assigned one video/element for each visit. Nothing made chemistry of the elements come alive more for them than this site! Do consider adding this (free) site to your plans!!

Seconded!

I assigned these as part of my oldest's science over a year ago (she was eleven).   She and her younger siblings still visit the site to check out updates and rewatch old favorites(according to her the seven and under crew just love the BANGS but her ten year old sister is learning something from it-it's currently not part of formal studies so I haven't been keeping track) The university has added astronomy and physics video sections as well.

The Chemistry book which my then eight year old liked the best was the Basher book of the Periodic Table. While cartoonish (much fruit for discussion involved in pondering the artist's choices) and non-narrative, it was fun and informative- a good memory help. There's a Basher book of Chemistry also available now. My older child enjoyed going over the book with her younger siblings.

A good source of hands-on activities for the younger child would be the Jr. Chemhead book.   It's extremely well laid out with GOOD explanations and as a bonus there is a very useful section on science fair projects at the back which can be used as a guideline for going beyond the provided books and experiments for independent learning. Most of the activities are safe enough for an eight or nine year old to do by his or herself and those that aren't are well marked.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

For an inquiry-based approach, and one that fits in well with several parts of Secrets of the Universe, check out these free and extensive resources from the American Chemical Society.

Middle School Chemistry is at the middle school level, and has over 600 pages of information.

Inquiry in Action is over 400 pages and can be used with a wider range of ages.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

Mackfam wrote:
I don't have time to link these, gals, but I wanted to suggest these books. We used them last year and they were enjoyed by 5th grade - 9th grade so I think they all fit perfectly within your criteria, Donna Marie. They narrate very well, and spring-boarded many experiments and investigations on their own (not led by me, but pursued at the child's interest). Some of these may be oop.

The Chemical History of a Candle by Michael Faraday (better suited to an older or chemistry passionate reader)
Periodic Kingdom: Journey Into The Land of the Chemical Elements by P.W. Atkins (better suited to an older or chemistry passionate reader)

How many books did you have going at once? I am very new to the idea of reading multiple books over an extended period. Before I started reading CM and this forum , I had planned to use God's Design Properties of Matter and Properties of Atoms and Molecules. Now I am wondering if I can use those books chiefly for the experiments (which is what attracted me in the first place), and use several other books (I have The Mystery of the periodic Table and the old How and Why Chemistry) as on-going readings. Maybe?
Back to Top View MicheleB's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleB Visit MicheleB's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 23 2011 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

It will depend on what you think is a good schedule for your kids. I pick books that are complimentary, or stack books to be read in succession for topics covered for long periods. My kids do have multiple books on subjects but often it will be a non-fiction with a fun book. For example, in history they read a non-fiction and an historical fiction at the same time, for both US and world history, plus their science/nature reading.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MicheleB wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

How many books did you have going at once?

Well, do keep in mind that some of these books were read by a 5th grader, while others were read by my 9th grader. There were often 2 meaty books going at once for my 9th grader (per term), and 1 meaty and a couple of lighter books on the subject per term for my 5th grader. (Light book vs. meaty books could differ from child to child depending on their science passions.)

MicheleB wrote:
I am very new to the idea of reading multiple books over an extended period. Before I started reading CM and this forum , I had planned to use God's Design Properties of Matter and Properties of Atoms and Molecules. Now I am wondering if I can use those books chiefly for the experiments (which is what attracted me in the first place), and use several other books (I have The Mystery of the periodic Table and the old How and Why Chemistry) as on-going readings. Maybe?

What age would this be for, Michele? The How and Why book is easier to read (for us), and will likely go quicker. The Mystery of the Periodic Table is enjoyable and could be spread out over a term, with a little How and Why thrown in. And then an opportunity every couple of weeks to explore or do experiments if a child is inspired. By the way, I don't coordinate or plan experiments. I support! Happily!!! But I don't plan or coordinate!! I do provide time once every week, or once every couple of weeks, to do labs. And I try to provide a generally stocked lab area with a number of books and guides that might inspire a child to experiment, but I don't coordinate or plan experiments here!!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

My girls are 7 and almost-11.

I am coming from 6 years of WTM, so the idea of not planning and coordinating labs, spooks me a bit. But that is what I am here to learn about! I am trying to ease into CM because it does appeal to me more and more. I have certainly found a feast of ideas for my own mind on these forums the past few days! Now to prepare a feast for my girls!

ETA: They have been having some feasting, but in a different manner.
Back to Top View MicheleB's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleB Visit MicheleB's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Ah! Ok - 7 and almost 11. Well, the two books you spoke of could certainly work for your 11 yo, though I'm not sure that most of this wouldn't be above your 7 yo's head. It would be above my 7 yo's head anyway. I'd probably stick with some chemistry type picture books for her probably, and let her enjoy the reading with the 11yo if she wanted to.

I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with the WTM ideas so I'm not really sure where you're coming from. We probably have way more in common than not though.

The choice not to plan or coordinate experiments is entirely my own, not necessarily a reflection of a CM mandatum, though I do think it's pretty consistent with how she allowed a child to pursue and investigate ideas on their own, based on the child's own interests and questions. Now, I do put them in the way of things that I hope will inspire them to investigate, and I do work with my high schooler who will complete some labs for credit, but for the most part, I'm a support person, a resource person, a lab organizer, an idea giver...but not coordinating experiments saves me loads of time and headache! They happen quite naturally on their own here!

MicheleB
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleB

Thank you, for your replies, Kris and Jen, I have much to think on!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping and adding a couple things I've found for this Upper-Elem to Middle School age range, since I'm getting ready for my mom's visit in July. She's a chemist and usually does some fun experiments with the kids when she's here.

We're stepping it up a notch this time with some living books and prep work ahead of time for my older 2 (or maybe 3) who are 11 and 12.

Good thread to get me going!

Chemistry Games thread

Middle School Chemistry. Nice, simple lesson plans, with some quick videos/diagrams, and activity sheets.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version