Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Civil War - 150 Year Remembrance Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This year marks the 150th anniversary or sesquicentennial of the start of the Civil War. From April this year through 2015 there are events planned around the country to commemorate this. It appears this may be the "official" site - Civil War 150th Anniversary. Each of the states participating have official sites of local events and locations of significance. Still looking for good sites to link.

Starting this thread to have a place to focus on this commemoration. I'll link to our old Civil War threads that are scattered about the forum. Please post any resources, events, ideas you have to help study and learn about this era during the anniversary.

I love to LIVE history!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is a compilation of our past threads focusing on Civil War.

Unit Study/Living History
Civil War
Looking for a Civil War Unit
Civil War Resources

Picture Books
Willie McLean and the Civil War Surrender
Pink and Say (Patricia Polacco)
War of 1812 and Civil War books

Video resources
Civil War Videos?
American History through DVD

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

We are going to watch the Civil War by Ken Burns--it was on PBS and I just saw that I can watch it instantly on Netflix.

http://www.pbs.org/civilwar/

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:
I love to LIVE history!

Ditto! And I've been meaning to respond!

MaryM wrote:
Still looking for good sites to link.

I have a few I've been collecting that I'll share. I'd love to hear your ideas as well!

National Park Service Civil War resources
The National Park Service has an American Civil War page with a number of resources and a promised new website coming in April. On the sidebar of this page there is a state by state listing with links to what's happening to remember the Civil War in your state. And this is an excellent listing of Civil War National Parks.

This is a map detailing Civil War related sites in the National Park Service.

US Military Academy
The US Military Academy offers a number of maps - check out the American Civil War Atlas Index. There's so much there I haven't been through yet!!

Maps
Rare Maps of the Civil War
Field of Gettysburg on July 1, 2, 3 of 1863 (there is a downloadable map here) through the Library of Congress.
Entire Civil War map collection through the Library of Congress.

National Archives
Discovering the Civil War Exhibit - on display at the National Archives in Washington, DC, but also traveling to:
    * The Henry Ford, Dearborn, MI (Summer 2011)
    * The Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston, TX (Fall 2011 through Spring 2012)
    * The Durham Museum, Omaha, Nebraska (Fall 2013)

There are some interesting archived photographs by Matthew Brady.

PBS - Civil War - Ken Burns' documentary
PBS has a nice group of Civil War maps and a Civil War Timeline. Speaking of PBS, Ken Burns' documentary, The Civil War, is listed and there are some good resources that go along with it, including some classroom activities. The Civil War Music lesson plans look interesting. Regarding the documentary, the episode descriptions could be helpful, particularly since this is mature content. You can search on PBS's site to see if and when the program will be airing in your state.

Traveling along history's trails
We'll be taking some trips to the Tennessee Civil War National Heritage Area and visiting some of the national battlefields. Since we're so close to Tennessee, we're also thinking of following some Tennessee Civil War Trails.

We have 2 skirmish sites with Historic Highway Markers less than a mile from where we live. I found a listing of all the historic highway markers for our state, and our county. I noticed that most states have their own website detailing their National Historic Highway Marker's, and there is a very nice National Historic Marker Database - their right sidebar contains all the categories for the various markers. I thought it was odd that there isn't a specific "Civil War" category, but these are all the hits after a search through the Historical Markers Database with the search terms "Civil War."

I thought it would be interesting to visit as many of these as are in our area in person and map out visited skirmish and other Civil War historical sites that are around us. I realize this won't work if you're out west. , but if you're in the area....let us know!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary covers picture books so thoroughly.      I'm adding a few more books - these are all books for upper elementary (some Landmark books) and middle/high school pertaining to the Civil War. Some of these may be duplicates from other threads.

SLAVERY
Booker T. Washington - Up From Slavery (Booker T. Washington)
Amos Fortune: Free Man (Elizabeth Yates)

GENERAL/OVERALL CIVIL WAR
Madame Castel's Lodger (Francis Parkinson Keyes)
The Civil War: Strange and Fascinating Facts (Burke Davis)
This Hallowed Ground: The Story of the Union Side of the Civil War (Bruce Catton)
Across Five Aprils (Irene Hunt)
The Red Badge of Courage (Stephen Crane)

BATTLES
Gettysburg (Landmark books by Mackinlay Kantor)
Lee and Grant at Appomattox (Landmark books by Mackinlay Kantor) ** Both these Landmark books are still in print, but the updated versions do not include the original illustrations by Donald McKay. The older versions have been linked. **
Rifles for Watie (Harold Keith)

FIGURES OF THE CIVIL WAR
Clara Barton (Mildred Mastin Pace)
Abraham Lincoln: The War Years (Carl Sandburg) ** This was originally published as a 6 volume set, but the author condensed it considerably to fit into one volume - if you look for the originals, Vol. 2 & 3 cover the war. **
Abraham Lincoln's World (Genevieve Foster)

CIVIL WAR AT SEA
Anchors Away: The Story of David Farragut (Jean Lee Latham)

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
This year marks the 150th anniversary or sesquicentennial of the start of the Civil War. From April this year through 2015 there are events planned around the country to commemorate this. It appears this may be the "official" site - Civil War 150th Anniversary. Each of the states participating have official sites of local events and locations of significance. Still looking for good sites to link.

Starting this thread to have a place to focus on this commemoration. I'll link to our old Civil War threads that are scattered about the forum. Please post any resources, events, ideas you have to help study and learn about this era during the anniversary.

I love to LIVE history!
... so does this mean a field trip to come spend a few weeks in the heart of battlefield land visiting your favorite family????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I love to LIVE history!
... so does this mean a field trip to come spend a few weeks in the heart of battlefield land visiting your favorite family????

Oh how I wish... - hopefully sometime during the 4 year commenoration that could actually be a reality!

Our Domestic Church

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We are about to start this period in time in our history studies this year. I love all the links, how fortunate for us. I've got several of these titles on our list for the upcoming weeks. As an incentive (just for fun) the kids get some free time on the computer with an educational type game a couple of times per week.

My dc enjoyed the Liberty Kids and are currently enjoying the Oregon Trail PC games, but I just don't know if there is something similar for the Civil War Era. Everything I run into seems to advance or graphic for the younger crowd (11 and under). Just wandering if you ladies know of any Civil War PC game(s) you recommend?

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Some Virginia local links for the sesquicentennial:

Virginia Civil War

And our local battlefield:

National Park Service: Manassas or Bull Run Battlefield

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm glad you highlighted this, Mary.

There is a nice article in our local free paper, and I find it exciting that even a Catholic Mass is mentioned

Quote:
On July 24 at 10 a.m., Manassas concludes its sesquicentennial commemoriation with a church service on the Manassas Museum lawn in Old Town Manassas. A Catholic Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. at the Camp Manassas site at the Jennie Dean Memorial.

That's just an excerpt, but I'm happy to read it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Two Thomas Allen books on the Civil War. Very engaging. For older elementary and middle school age, I'd say.

Harriet Tubman: Secret Agent (How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War)

Mr. Lincoln's High Tech War (How the North Used the Telegraph, Railroads, Surveillance Balloons, Iron-clads, High-powered Weapons, and more to win the Civil War)

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 13 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...
Yesterday marked the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.

Saw this article today:
"Priests ministered to Catholic soldiers on both sides during Civil War

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Favorite Civil War music compilations on cd you can recommend?

How about favorite Civil War poetry - books or websites?

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Our reenactment is coming this month. Bumping this...just came back with lots of books from the library to start our Civil War Immersion.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 27 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I found this site by accident and thought it was so interesting!

Civil War Quilts

From the blog owner:
Quote:
During the anniversary year you'll find a true story each week about the people who lived at the time of the Civil War. Read their words from their diaries, letters and memoirs as you make a quilt block.

Quote:
Quilts and the Civil War has been my special area of quilt history for many years. Each week you'll get a free pattern for an 8" block, true stories from 1st person accounts and links to find out more. You don't sign up; there's no downloading. Everything is on the blog. I'll leave the blocks up all year so you can access them once they're posted.

Thought some of you might want to check it out or subscribe as part of the Civil War remembrances.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 27 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
From the blog owner:
Quote:
During the anniversary year you'll find a true story each week about the people who lived at the time of the Civil War.

That is a very intriguing site. Looks like it would be fun to follow. Thanks for sharing.

...but does she realize that the anniversary lasts 4 years - not one year....?????

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Love that site, Jen! Fabulous! Now, where to find neat (not expensive, though) replica material for the quilt squares?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just finished reading Chaplain in Gray, Abram Ryan: Poet-Priest of the Confederacy by Harold Jerome Heagney. This is an OOP book from the Catholic series "American Background Books" by P.J. Kenedy and Sons.

It's an excellent book giving a Southern and Catholic perspective of the war.

I had not heard of Father Ryan until now, and am interested in reading more of his poems. He really worked hard for peace and then after the war his writings were to reach and unite the nation, work as a balm to heal those gaping wounds.

A few sites I found:

Father Ryan House in Biloxi, MS

The Fr. Abram J. Ryan Archive (In reading the books I never pictured him with long hair! Surprising and shocking to me!)

Catholic Encyclopedia

Poems: Patriotic, Religious by Abram Joseph Ryan online book

He is most known for his The Conquered Banner:

THE CONQUERED BANNER
by Abram Joseph Ryan
(1838-1886)

Furl that Banner, for 'tis weary;
Round its staff 'tis drooping dreary;
Furl it, fold it, it is best;
For there's not a man to wave it,
And there's not a sword to save it,
And there's no one left to lave it
In the blood that heroes gave it;
And its foes now scorn and brave it;
Furl it, hide it--let it rest!

Take that banner down! 'tis tattered;
Broken is its shaft and shattered;
And the valiant hosts are scattered
Over whom it floated high.
Oh! 'tis hard for us to fold it;
Hard to think there's none to hold it;
Hard that those who once unrolled it
Now must furl it with a sigh.

Furl that banner! furl it sadly!
Once ten thousands hailed it gladly.
And ten thousands wildly, madly,
Swore it should forever wave;
Swore that foeman's sword should never
Hearts like theirs entwined dissever,
Till that flag should float forever
O'er their freedom or their grave!

Furl it! for the hands that grasped it,
And the hearts that fondly clasped it,
Cold and dead are lying low;
And that Banner--it is trailing!
While around it sounds the wailing
Of its people in their woe.

For, though conquered, they adore it!
Love the cold, dead hands that bore it!
Weep for those who fell before it!
Pardon those who trailed and tore it!
But, oh! wildly they deplored it!
Now who furl and fold it so.

Furl that Banner! True, 'tis gory,
Yet 'tis wreathed around with glory,
And 'twill live in song and story,
Though its folds are in the dust;
For its fame on brightest pages,
Penned by poets and by sages,
Shall go sounding down the ages--
Furl its folds though now we must.

Furl that banner, softly, slowly!
Treat it gently--it is holy--
For it droops above the dead.
Touch it not--unfold it never,
Let it droop there, furled forever,
For its people's hopes are dead!

You can find it here, and check this site out for more poetry of the time.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding some more resources. I enjoy using history magazines, especially with my older children, and I've been meaning to add some of these for awhile.

From HistoryNetShop History Magazine: (high school)
Abraham Lincoln

Civil War. This links to many options and special offers, but it might be helpful to mention that the History Magazine offers their own Civil War Magazine published every two months.

Learning Through History Magazine: We have enjoyed a few back issues of Learning Through History magazines, and find them to be excellent resources, with many articles, book recommendations, DVD recommendations, for a variety of ages. These magazines are probably most well suited from 5th grade - high school, but there is always something in each magazine for the younger ones.

The American Civil War

Cobblestone Magazine: The older issues of the Cobblestone magazines are hands down some of my favorite resources. I prefer the magazines from 1990 and earlier, finding the writing and quality to be much better in these. Best age for this magazine? Probably 4th/5th - early high school.

There are many others on the topic, but unfortunately not all are available for purchase as back issues. I'm listing them all here, but will indicate if not available:

Civil War Highlights (1981, Not available at this time)

Civil War Reconstruction (1987, Not available)

Battle of Gettysburg (1988, Available)

Robert E Lee (1992, Not available)

Abraham Lincoln (1994, Available)

The Battle of Antietam (1997, Not Available)

Battle of Vicksburg (1998, Available)

Children in the Civil War (1999, Not Available)

Jefferson Davis (2000, Available)

Civil War Cavalry (2002, Available)

Underground Railroad: Abolitionist Movement (2003. Not Available)

Navy in the Civil War (2004, Available)

Women in the Civil War (2005, Not Available)

Manassas: Tale of Two Civil War Battles (2005, Available)

Ulysses S Grant: Unlikely Hero of the Civil War (2006, Available)

Ken Burns' The War (designed to be a companion to Burns' PBS Civil War documentary, 2007, Available)

Art and the Civil War (2008, Available)

Lincoln: With Malice Toward None (2008, Available)

The West and the Civil War (2009, Available)

Gettysburg: Civil War Turning Point (2010, Available)

1861: A Year in the Civil War (2011, Available)

1863: A Year in the Civil War (2011, Available)

That's alot!!!! (Although...I'm so sad that so many of the older Cobblestones are no longer available!! They're so great, and I wish I had bought them all when I had a chance!) A recommendation on how to use these: They aren't a substitute for living books, though the articles in the earlier Cobblestones are VERY good reading! They're great if you:

** can't find any good resources for a particular aspect you're studying
** would like a resource to flesh out an aspect of the Civil War before attending a re-enactment, or visiting a museum.
** would like to dig deeper into a subject and would like to use this as an introduction.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding....

Cobblestone 10 book series - they're pricey though, and only 48 pages each.

Civil War Timeline Poster

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version