Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: American History through DVD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 27 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We are done with our nautical unit and moving on to the next thing. Ds wants it to be US History. I cannot afford a bunch of books right now (I have a few to get us started) but I do have a Netflix subscription, and we get so much out of watching historical movies like our current obsession Horatio Hornblower. So...
Has anyone put together a US History spine using DVD's?
Got any suggestions?
I'd like at least one good DVD for each major period. Perhaps more. Shooting for a good dozen or so. We are open to dramatizations, documentaries, historical fiction, etc. This will mainly be for my ds age 11, who can handle PG 13 OK.
I will start off by saying we have already seen "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson and will likely use that for part of the Revolutionary War period.
I will also likely use parts of "Gettysburg" for the Civil war, but would like something on the underground Railroad and other aspects of the era as well.
Ladies, what ideas have ya got?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Theresa,

We just covered the Revolutionary War and we watched Liberty!, a PBS documentary. It was good. We also watched The Crossing,about the crossing of the Delaware. It was good but there were a lot of swear words and at least one off colored joke. We also watched 1776, more for fun than from historical value. I found this website that might be helpful:

historical movies

I didn't use them but A&E have that biography series that should have biographies of a lot of the American heroes.

HTH some,

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2006 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Theresa,
    Here are some ideas (I'll try to do this chronologically):

COLUMBUS - "1492-The Conquest of Paradise"
JAMESTOWN - "The New World"
PLYMOUTH - "Squanto-A Warrior's Tale" (not overly historically accurate, but the kids loved it)
PURITANS - "The Scarlet Letter" (there are several versions ranging from 1926 to 1995)
SALEM (if you're up to this...) The Crucible (I have NOT seen this, so can't vouch for it, it may even be rated R, just a warning...)
COLONIAL - "Felicity Movie"; "A Day in the Life" series about life in Williamsburg; "Daniel Boone, Trail Blazer" also the old Daniel Boone tv series is fun
FRENCH & INDIAN WAR - "When the Forests Ran Red" documentary; "Guns along the Mohawk"; "The Last of the Mohicans" LOVE the Daniel Day Lewis version; "Northwest Passage"; "The Broken Chain" end of the Iroquois Confederacy, really good;
GOLDEN AGE OF PIRACY- "Captain Kidd", "Captain Blood", "Blackbeard's Ghost" (Totally silly Disney movie, but my kids loved it and it inspired our trip to Blackbeard's lair in the Outer Banks!)
AMERICAN REVOLUTION - "Randolphs of Virginia; "1776", "The Crossing", "Liberty" Documentary;
"Lafayette"; "John Paul Jones"; "Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor"; "Alexander Hamilton"; "Johnny Tremain"; "Swamp Fox" series, my kids loved it; "The Patriot"; "Liberty Kids" (thumbs up!)
WAR OF 1812/ANDREW JACKSON YEARS - "The Buccaneer" about Andy Jackson & Lafitte, Battle of New Orleans; "Tecumsuh" (really good);"The President's Lady" about Andrew Jackson's wife; "Distant Drums" Seminole Indian war; "Seminole"
ANTEBELLUM ERA - "Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier"; "Alamo: 13 Days to Glory"; "The Last Command" (about Jim Bowie); "Texas" based on the Michener book...likewise "Hawaii" if you want to get into Hawaii's earlier history, also the miniseries, "Centennial" about the Western Settlement,over many years...; "One Man's Hero" about Irish Americans who join the Mexicans
...& WESTWARD EXPANSION - see above! also "Westward the Women" about Women going on the Oregon Trail; "How the West was Won"; "Jeremiah Johnson" about a mountain man, a few graphic scenes; "Little House" series; "Sarah, Plain and Tall" with Glenn Close, I think; "Western Union" about setting up the telegraph; "Kit Carson" ;
WAR BETWEEN THE STATES - "Roots" tv mini series; "Amistad" about slave ship rebellion and repercussions in the American courtroom!; "A Woman Called Moses" about Harriet Tubman; "Glory" about black army unit who fought for the north; "Gone with the Wind" (of course!); "Santa Fe Trail"; "Of Gods and Generals"; "The Hunley" about Charleston submarine; "Journey to Shiloh", "Gore Vidal's Lincoln"; "The Day Lincoln was Shot", "Hellgate" about Dr. Mudd and Lincoln assasination; "The Horse Soldiers" John Wayne movie about Vicksburg; "The Gangs of new York" about ethic troubles in NY and the riots there in 1863; "Booker" about Booker T. Washington; "Gettysburg"; "Kansas Raiders" about Quantrill's raiders & their involvement with Jesse James

How far along in American History did you want to go? We're big fans of using historical movies for history!

Kelly in FL

Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2006 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Ooops...I remembered (well, sort of...) four more movies that are great. The problem is I can't remember their exact names, but maybe someone out there recognized the description. They would all be useful to a History Thru DVD curriculum

about the life of Fr. Eusebio Kino- is it "Desert Priest" or "Cowboy Priest" or something like that. About his missionary life in the SW. I recently saw this film listed in the Ignaitius film catalog, but can't find my copy to check name Not a blockbuster, but definitely interesting era.

about life of St. Elizabeth Seton -also recently spotted in the Ignatius catalog.

now this is a tricky one. It's a movie aout Henriette Delille, the beautiful "octaroon" of New Orleans who turned her back on the glitter and glitz of New Orleans and started an order. She called herself "Servant to the Slaves" and dedicated herself to helping their plight. Somebody, a while back, raved about this movie and I've been looking high and low for it. Maybe this rings a bell with someone???

Movie about Bl. Fr. Damien de Veusters, the missionary priest to the lepers of Molokai, Hawaii. That tall, good looking actor who was in 1776 was in the version I saw-it was great.

about Lewis & Clark expedition. I believe National Geographic made this documentary about the expedition (they were actually selling it on the back of granola cereal at one time-we had seen it already at an IMAX theatre so didn't snag a copy, and I wish I had. It was very good.) Anyway, it was quite informative and my kids liked it enough to drive to Tampa with me to see it! There may be some other, new version about the Lewis and Clark mascot, Seaman the Newfoundland dog that travelled with them, but I can't vouch for that. Might be worth checking.

Sorry I don't have titles, but I thought these movies were "worthy" enough to see if anyone has any info!

Kelly in FL

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Kelly wrote:
about the life of Fr. Eusebio Kino- is it "Desert Priest" or "Cowboy Priest" or something like that. About his missionary life in the SW. I recently saw this film listed in the Ignaitius film catalog, but can't find my copy to check name Not a blockbuster, but definitely interesting era./QUOTE]

I think you are talking about Padre on Horseback

Kelly wrote:
about life of St. Elizabeth Seton -also recently spotted in the Ignatius catalog.

It is something like A Time for Miracles?

Kelly wrote:
now this is a tricky one. It's a movie aout Henriette Delille, the beautiful "octaroon" of New Orleans who turned her back on the glitter and glitz of New Orleans and started an order. She called herself "Servant to the Slaves" and dedicated herself to helping their plight. Somebody, a while back, raved about this movie and I've been looking high and low for it. Maybe this rings a bell with someone???

I don't know about this one.

Kelly wrote:
Movie about Bl. Fr. Damien de Veusters, the missionary priest to the lepers of Molokai, Hawaii. That tall, good looking actor who was in 1776 was in the version I saw-it was great.

I think this one is called Molokai. Even though I think there are more of one version of Fr. Damien.

[QUOTE=Kelly]about Lewis & Clark expedition. I believe National Geographic made this documentary about the expedition (they were actually selling it on the back of granola cereal at one time-we had seen it already at an IMAX theatre so didn't snag a copy, and I wish I had. It was very good.) Anyway, it was quite informative and my kids liked it enough to drive to Tampa with me to see it! There may be some other, new version about the Lewis and Clark mascot, Seaman the Newfoundland dog that travelled with them, but I can't vouch for that. Might be worth checking.

It is The Great Journey West and there is also a PBS version called the Journey of the Corps of Discovery.

Natalia

PS Sorry this post is all messed up. I haven't the time to fix it. Hope it helps as it is.

Cindy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 29 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Cindy

The Ken Burns DVD Series titled The Civil War is excellent. Following it up with Gone With the Wind.
I wrote some about it on my journey blog.

We are also listening to The Killer Angels (about Gettysburg) on CD

I would be careful of The Patriot. It is very violent and my history loving dh says it is skewed in its portrayal of the British.

Have fun!

It Is About The Journey
Back to Top View Cindy's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks so much for these awesome suggestions! You ladies are an incredible resource! Kelly-wow! You really outdid yourself. Than you so much for taking the time to type out that fantastic list!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Thanks, Natalia, three out of four ain't bad! Big help.

Happy Movie Viewing, Theresa...break out the popcorn

Kelly in FL

PS Your pm mailbox is full!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Hey Theresa! Just getting a chance to answer your query. With our last study of USA History we used the Presidents as a unifying theme through history. We watched   The History Channel's The Presidents and used the Presidents: Fandex Family Field Guides as well. Marianna traced around their head onto the top of the Story Paper and colored or shaded them in, then wrote a paragraph about each after watching the snippet from the DVDs and reading the Fandex. It was an excellent overview of US History!

She just reminded me, there is also a game, though we never ended up playing it so I can't tell you about how the game plays, but the playing cards are super cool. Each president has a few pertinent facts listed behind their portrait.

Any study that involves popcorn is a good study in my opinion!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Great ideas, Jennifer! I just ordered the fandex guide and I love the story paper! And I put the Presidents on my Netflix queue!
Thanks!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2006 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Theresa,

We use videos/DVD's all of the time in our study of history.....netflix has been great for that.

So far everything we have seen by American Experience (PBS, I THINK) has been simply wonderfully made. All of the kids from 9 yrs to the mom have enjoyed them. The one about Theodore Roosevelt was a blast.......and the One Woman, One Vote about the history of suffrage was excellent and non-biased.......surprisingly so since Susan Sarandan was the narrator

We are watching Woodrow Wilson now......only a few minutes of a bleep......

...and the laying of the Trans-atlantic Cable is next, too!

BTW.........just a head's up..........we LOVE 1776 here...........but we rarely watch it as it is full of swearing.....including taking the Lord's name in vain and then some togetherness by Jefferson and his wife is highlighted.........not as discreet as I like.....though I could be prudish ....I would watch it first before letting the kids see.....it is one very funny story! The voting on the declaration is so humorous...priceless!........My kids wish there was a version without the swearing ......we love Abigail and John's chemistry.

Gotta get to bed.......

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Theresa,
   This is a chronological listing of movies for history, but it's world, and American all mixed together. It may help though???
Chronological list of movies

For an $11.99 per year subscription, this is a site that has some lesson plans for the use with movies for teachers. It's called "Teach With Movies". I'm not sure if it'd be something you'd want, but just thought I'd mention it just in case:
Teach With Movies

There is also a home school book written called, *Learning With the Movies*. I own it, and like it. It's very helpful. You can see it here. I wonder if your library would consider buying it if you asked???

Learning with the Movies

I hope this helps some anyway.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

TracyQ wrote:

For an $11.99 per year subscription, this is a site that has some lesson plans for the use with movies for teachers. It's called "Teach With Movies". I'm not sure if it'd be something you'd want, but just thought I'd mention it just in case:
Teach With Movies

Tracy, this looks interesting. Have you used it?

Natalia

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

No, I haven't yet, Natalia, but am considering it. I just happened upon it one day, so thought I'd mention it here in case it could help someone.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Just a note of thanks to Kelly for the wonderful list of movies. We just signed up for Netflix this weekend after cancelling Pay-per-View and I'm expecting a few movies any day now to jump-start interest in studying the Jamestown settlement and then the Pilgrims.

Thanks also for the link to the chronological list of movies, Tracy. I was browsing the Teach With movies website the other day after watching 'Braveheart', thinking I'd easily find some movies related to medieval British Isles and/or the Vikings. I like the chronological listing so much more!

It's a rainy day and the local school kids are home from school for Election Day (trying to pass a levy for the school district), so I hope the Netflix movies come today and we can settle in to watch them.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

We just watched "The New World" yesterday. It is a rather slow moving movie with very little dialogue for the first 45 minutes or so. Much of it revolves around the relationship between John Smith and Pocahontas, rather than focusing on how difficult life was at the Jamestown settlement. The movie makers hint at it, but for only about 5 minutes at most. So, if you have wiggly kids who hate to sit through "boring" movies, you might skip this one. My two oldest indulged me and sat through the 2 hrs and 15 min. At times even I wanted to get up and do something else.

The positive for viewing the movie is that it has and will spark discussion about certain things. One thing I realize my kids are somewhat ignorant of is the status of the Catholic faith in those times. There is one scene where Pocahontas is baptized and my daughter remarked, "Oh, she's becoming a Catholic." I wasn't entirely sure that was correct, so I will need to address that. We'll be covering Jamestown for the next couple of weeks and then venture north (virtually, that is) to the Plymouth settlement in MA to discuss the Pilgrims in time for Thanksgiving. Somewhere in there, we will need to touch on the Reformation that took place in Europe before the 1600s.

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 19 2006 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Valerie,
   I took all the gang to see "The New World" and though it WAS slow in parts (really slow, as in, go get popcorn and read your emails slow...) we still benefitted from seeing it so much (complaints from the younger peanut gallery aside ) Unlike so many of these type of movies, it was shot entirely on location along the James River in Virginia, they worked closely with the archaeologists at Jamestown and really strove to be historically accurate in their dipiction of colonial and indian life alike. Too bad all that interior dialogue slowed it down, but I got positive goosebumps when they showed Pocahontas meeting James I-dressed exactly as she's portrayed in her famous portrait in the National Gallery. Not to mention that Captain James Smith was, well, incredibly handsome    

Anyway, all was not lost in that 2 hours and 15 minutes I told my caterwauling children it was as close to timetravel as they may ever get!   

Kelly in FL

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Theresa, I wanted to bump this thread. We are currently studying early American history with my dds 10 and almost 7. At the suggestion of an earlier thread we have been watching the Liberty Kids series (a couple of episodes on Friday afternoons). My 10 year old (while enjoying the series) loves films (like her daddy). I'm just wondering how did some of these titles work for you. Kelly's list looks great but I couldn't tell age appropriateness off some titles. What do you think would be your top 6 for "founding/exploration" through maybe "civial war" or "reconstruction" that the girls (at least my dd 10) would enjoy? She is trying to finish reading Johnny Tremain so we can watch the film . I want to use the films as an extra for Friday evenings or weekends when activities are low . I should mention that she loves adventure and action. She just finished reading Swamp Fox and loved it. (Her sister is more of a "Felicity" girl).

I'd love to hear from anyone else, this group always has great ideas    .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version