Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Solemnity of the Annunciation, March 25 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Unless the search engine is failing me, I don't think we've posted ideas for the Feast of the Annunciation. My sister is looking for feast treats for school that offer symbolism of either the Annunciation of the Incarnation. She's busy with 4 children, so she's asking for easy idea. I'm thinking of ideas, but my brain is a little foggy today. I know many of you have some fabulous ones already-- could you please share?

Catholic Culture March 25

Women for Faith and Family Annunciation Ideas

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Symbols of the Incarnation and Annunciation:

Unicorn, lily, fleur-de-lys, gladiola, the angel (as in Gabriel)

I was also thinking a bell would be an appropriate symbol. The Angelus is the prayer of the Incarnation, and is traditionally prayed when the bells rung.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

JennGM wrote:
My sister is looking for feast treats for school that offer symbolism of either the Annunciation of the Incarnation. She's busy with 4 children, so she's asking for easy idea.

This may be a bit more work than she needs, but Pillsbury has an easy and adorable angel cookie idea made from refrigerated sugar cookies. She could make the angel less "girly" and use icing to print the message "Ave Maria" on the front.

These lovely sounding and easy Lily Cookies could also be used to represent the Annunciation.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This probably won't help since the need is pretty immediate - no time to order. I had meant to post a link to these terra cotta cookie stamps when a friend got some earlier this year. They remind me of the House on the Hill designs but on a smaller scale and definitely cheaper. They don't have a ton of religious designs - some St. Nick, St. Lucia, Nativity, & Noah, but did have ones that could fit with the Annunciation symbols you mentioned.
lily
fleur de lis
trumpeting angel

They don't have retailers listed yet on line, but I gave them a call and two stores in No VA that carry their products are:
Simply Country in Manassas
Country Clutter in Leesburg

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Those are so lovely, Mary! Thanks.

This link on Feast of the Annunciation has no author listed, but I believe it's originally from Helen Hitchhock and Women for Faith and Family. Some great ideas there...although not food, that I'm looking for.

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

As far as food, an angel food cake might be a good idea. Our groceries usually have them premade in the bakery, making the treat easy.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

My dd MaryGrace celebrates her nameday on the Feast of the Annunciation. In preparation, I was enjoying Jenn's link to Catholic Culture
and was further intrigued by a highlighted event for March 25th stating, "The Station is in the church of St. Susanna".
I had no idea what this was, but since my name is Suzannah (although clearly mispelled thanks to my parents ) I did some investigating.

I found that "Station churches are the churches that are appointed for special morning and evening services during Lent, Easter and some other important days. The tradition started in order to strengthen the sense of community within the Church in Rome, as this system meant that the Holy Father would visit each part of the city and celebrate Mass with the congregation. In addition to Mass, the station services consist of a procession, the Litany of Saints and veneration of relics."

Here's a neat link to an interactive website that allows you to "visit" each Church and learn the history and see the relics.
Station Churches

It's neat for our family to have these two events occuring on the same day. Just wanted to share my findings.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2006 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

It's mine and dh's 8th anniversary, so our family tends to do LOTS on this feast!

Hope everyone has a lovely, lovely Feast of the Annunciation!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzC wrote:
My dd MaryGrace celebrates her nameday on the Feast of the Annunciation. In preparation, I was enjoying Jenn's link to Catholic Culture
and was further intrigued by a highlighted event for March 25th stating, "The Station is in the church of St. Susanna".
I had no idea what this was, but since my name is Suzannah (although clearly mispelled thanks to my parents ) I did some investigating.

That is neat! I love the station churches. Before Vatican II many of the mediations on the Mass concentrated on the station of the day. I'm going to overload you with information, but you might enjoy the following for more on station churches:

Stational Churches

Guide on Station Churches

Station Churches. This site is fabulous! Browse around for a guide to the churches of Rome. ETA: this link doesn't work, but most of the information and pictures moved to Churches of Rome Wiki

Station Churches: A Roman Way to Reflect During Lent
Ancient Tradition Focuses on Paschal Mystery and Communion of Saints

On EWTN during Lent there is a short 15 minute description of the Station Church of the day by Dr. Timothy O'Donnell. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the name or the times of day it plays...I always come upon it by accident. It has some marvellous footage of these churches and detailed history. Worth catching.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

alicegunther wrote:
These lovely sounding and easy Lily Cookies could also be used to represent the Annunciation.

I can highly recommend these cookies, lovely to look at - like calla lilies - delicious and flaky to eat.

Now...how to clean powdered sugar off a keyboard???

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

Wow, Jenn, thanks! I wish I had done my homework when dh and I were in Italy during Lent (1999). Oh well, maybe we'll have another chance...until then, thanks for all the links!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzC wrote:
Wow, Jenn, thanks! I wish I had done my homework when dh and I were in Italy during Lent (1999). Oh well, maybe we'll have another chance...until then, thanks for all the links!

Oh, the name of the EWTN program is "Rome's Hidden Churches", so you can find it in the listing (it helps when you have the title! ).

I also came across this website Rome's Hidden Churches. Not the station churches, but it's so enjoyable to look at all the treasures in Rome!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just thought to push this thread up since we will be on a lenten break during this feast.

Any more food ideas?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

SuzC wrote:
My dd MaryGrace celebrates her nameday on the Feast of the Annunciation.

That's wonderful I also have a Marygrace, and we celebrate her day as well.

God bless.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

SuzC wrote:

Thanks so much for this information. .my middle name is Susan and my mom always insisted it was a saint's name, but I never could find out anything about a St. Susan, LOL!

God Bless,
Melinda in SE Texas

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

The Annunciation gives us a nice long weekend this year during Lent! Because the 25th falls on a Sunday the observance of this feast has been moved to the 24th (in the US that is, I don't if it's the same in other countries).

It's a solemnity so that means we celebrate from evening prayer Friday (we generally mark that as 5:30 PM here since that when our parish has the vigil mass) until midnight of Saturday and then of course Sunday is... well...Sunday, which also lasts until midnight. My children felt the need to remind me of all this as we were talking about Lenten sacrifices at the dinner table last night. Makes me think they need more practice in that area!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Oh Michele...
I think just like your kids! I spend my time looking at your calendar for feast days!

I'm always reminding my dh (who is the more virtuous of the two of us - I have a ways to catch up to be as sacrificial as he is) about feast days before and after Mass -- so we can get a donut!

I definitely need more practice in that area. It's good that I have my dh to set the example!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

Bumping this again...and bumping my head against the wall!

I'm confused about the date of this feast. My (MicheleQ) calendar shows today, but Catholic Culture shows Monday. My MaryGrace is a bit concerned she won't get her nameday meal.

Help.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SuzC wrote:
Bumping this again...and bumping my head against the wall!

I'm confused about the date of this feast. My (MicheleQ) calendar shows today, but Catholic Culture shows Monday. My MaryGrace is a bit concerned she won't get her nameday meal. Help.

Michele in another thread apologized for the error on this year's calendar. The Liturgy for Sundays in Lent cannot be bumped, so sometimes the solemnities of St. Joseph and Annunciation get moved, but not removed.

So March 26 is her feast day this year, this Monday, so not too bad.

If this was Palm Sunday then her feast would be moved to the Second Sunday of Easter! A long wait!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I'm wrong - Catholic Culture is right, it's Monday.

My source was (and still is) wrong. I'm very sorry about that. I'm trying to use different sources to make sure the next planner is correct. Next year the Annunciation falls on Easter Tuesday so it gets transferred to the following Tuesday, April 1. And the Solemnity of St. Joseph falls during Holy Week so it's transferred to March 31 st!

My apologies again to all.

We still get to celebrate though!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version