Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Solemnity of the Annunciation, March 25 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 24 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

My calendar also says Monday. I just checked the USCCB website and according to the readings of each day, it is Monday. Good thing, since I still thought it would be celebrated on Sunday and only looked at the calendar this morning!

God Bless!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

Michele - no need to apologize!!! I had in my head March 25th and only today realized it was also Sunday. I do recall this coming up here before and I failed to note it on my calendar. Happy Feast of the Annuncitaion to all...on Monday!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MicheleQ wrote:
Next year the Annunciation falls on Easter Tuesday so it gets transferred to the following Tuesday, April 1. And the Solemnity of St. Joseph falls during Holy Week so it's transferred to March 31 st

Wrong again!!

Quote:
In 2008, if the feast of St. Joseph were to be celebrated as usual on March 19, it would fall on the Wednesday of Holy Week and if the feast of the Annunciation of the Lord were to be celebrated March 25, it would fall on the Tuesday during the octave of Easter.

While the two feasts are among the 14 solemnities marked with special care in the Catholic Church, they do not take precedence over the commemoration of Christ's suffering, death and resurrection.

Therefore, the congregation said, in 2008 the feast of St. Joseph will be celebrated March 15, the day before Palm Sunday, and the feast of the Annunciation will be celebrated March 31, the Monday after the second Sunday of Easter, which also is Divine Mercy Sunday.

Thanks Jenn for jogging my memory!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 24 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MicheleQ wrote:
Next year the Annunciation falls on Easter Tuesday so it gets transferred to the following Tuesday, April 1. And the Solemnity of St. Joseph falls during Holy Week so it's transferred to March 31 st!

All this juggling... thanks for the info.

The early date for Easter next year is going to be so weird. FYI, this (2008) will be the earliest that Easter has been in our lifetime. The last time it was on March 23 it was 1913. The next earliest this century was March 24 in 1940. My birthday has only been after Easter a couple times in my life and never this much after and nor do I remember the Feast of St. Joseph ever happening afterward. It will feel very strange!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

It's the end of the day on the 25th and yet with the liturgical day of the Annunciation being tomorrow as well, we will continue to celebrate this feast.

Tonight I thought I would read a story about Our Lady (apparition or shrine) from Joan Carroll Cruz's Miraculous Images of Our Lady and I picked one of my favourites (or should I say, one of the children's favourites...) on page 104 "Our Lady of the Willow Tree."

When I was about to start reading, I thought, "I wonder if there will happen to be a reference to the feast of the Annunciation in it?" (You know, those slight goosebump moments....)

Sure enough there was, the first miraculous event took place on the feast of the Annunciation, the apparition took place a few years later on the same day. The whole reason for the miraculous events was to show the importance of honoring this feast. The children loved the story, as usual and if anyone has this lovely book it is worth a read!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote momwise

aussieannie wrote:

Tonight I thought I would read a story about Our Lady (apparition or shrine) from Joan Carroll Cruz's Miraculous Images of Our Lady and I picked one of my favourites (or should I say, one of the children's favourites...) on page 104 "Our Lady of the Willow Tree."

When I was about to start reading, I thought, "I wonder if there will happen to be a reference to the feast of the Annunciation in it?" (You know, those slight goosebump moments....)

Sure enough there was, the first miraculous event took place on the feast of the Annunciation,

I was just given this book not too long ago. Thanks for pointing out this story!
We will also be reading Angel in the Waters.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I really want to do another post with all my Sunday readings resources, but for now I want to let you know about these Fine Art links for the feast of the Annunciation.

To see other feasts/themes scroll up and click on Art Index.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

So, is tomorrow a holy day of obligation in the US? We will be celebrating the Feast but I didn't know about mass attendance. Our priest didn't mention anything about it today at mass.
Thanks
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Ruth

I asked my priest the same question today. Tomorrow is a Solemnity, not a Holy day of obligation

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I like it when they fall on Sundays because then we get an extra day to celebrate

My Ds turned 12 today. He is always so proud that his birthday is on this wonderful and special day!!!

Hope you all had a great day!!

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
I really want to do another post with all my Sunday readings resources, but for now I want to let you know about these Fine Art links for the feast of the Annunciation.

To see other feasts/themes scroll up and click on Art Index.

Thanks, Gwen. Happy feast day, everyone!

Today our pastor said that during medieval/renaissance times there were many feuding families (you know, like Capulet and Montague feud). When an alliance or peace was made, they would commission a painting of the Annunciation, with the Archangel Gabriel wearing the colors of one family and Our Lady wearing the colors of the other family.

I never heard of this, and I found this so interesting, but I'd love to read more or confirm it in writing. Can anyone help?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 24 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping for Monday's Feast. This year we have an extra day to prepare due to the movement form the 25th to 26th.

Other than the obvious like Mass, what are your plans? We have been invited to a dinner feast by our seminarian friends of the community Servants of Christ Jesus. Their house is turning into the place we party on feast days. I'm bringing a side dish so need to figure out what would be fitting - so I'm reviewing the old threads and Catholic Cuisine for ideas of something Marian. I'm thinking something lily themed would be nice as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I am getting the angel out from the Christmas box (from the top of the tree) and putting it on the mantle with a larger nativity statue I have of Mary.

I still have to figure out the food and print out some Marian coloring pages for the kids Liturgical Year folders.

Something simple, but fun!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version