Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Aluminum free deodorant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

SeaStar wrote:

Also, it is not an antiperspirant, but I seem to be sweating less overall since starting to use it. It is doing as good a job as my old bad-for-you deodorant/antiperspirant, and way better than the Toms of Maine I was using before.

I discovered this too - that I sweat less. But even when i do sweat a decent amount, it is not as stinky. Could be diet as well - more careful about what I'm eating, that sort of thing. But initially, the change in sweating amount was definitely making the change to baking soda only (now 50/50 baking soda and cornstarch for me).

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Maureen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 24 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Maureen

Dr. Mercola has a recent article which indicates a possible link between deodorants and breast cancer. He said even natural deodorants could pose a problem:

>>>Be Cautious with Natural Deodorants, Too

There are many brands of chemical-free, aluminum-free deodorants on the market, and many of these are safe alternatives. "Crystal" deodorant stones, which are a popular natural deodorant alternative often used by health-conscious shoppers looking to avoid aluminum, often claim to be aluminum-free, but some actually contain a different type of compound known as an alum, the most common form being potassium alum, also known as potassium aluminum sulfate.

Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum are natural mineral salts made up of molecules that are too large to be absorbed by your skin. They form a protective layer on your skin that inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria. These deodorants are recommended by many cancer treatment centers, but while this may be a better alternative to most antiperspirants and deodorants on the market, it is not completely aluminum-free. Also remember to check the remaining ingredients, keeping a watchful eye out for parabens.

For the last few decades I have not used antiperspirants or deodorants--even natural ones. I noticed that they would cause a yellow stain in the armpit of my shirts. At first I thought the stain was due to my sweat but I quickly realized it was the chemicals in the antiperspirants. I routinely substitute soap and water in my armpits and that seems to work. Although last year I noticed that if I sunbathe my axilla regularly, the UV light actually sterilized my armpits in addition to raising my levels of vitamin D. There is no odor even without using soap and water. Essentially you tan your armpits. The effect is not long lasting and the bacteria repopulate in a day or so unless you expose your armpits to sunlight.

>>>>

Here's the link for the full article: 99% of Breast Cancer Tissue Contained This Everyday Chemical (NOT Aluminum)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 24 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Interesting, Maureen.

I tried several different types and was doing great in the colder months, as long as I was home. But now that warm weather has hit, nothing is working longer than a few minutes. If I have to be outside of the home, I can't keep reapplying and checking my arm pits.

So, I'm at a loss.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2012 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Maureen wrote:
Dr. Mercola has a recent article which indicates a possible link between deodorants and breast cancer. He said even natural deodorants could pose a problem:

Ugh. And here I was thinking to check out some of these other options, just for kicks, when I had a chance.

Guess I'm sticking to baking soda and cornstarch. I did try a bit with coconut oil - I think it might work better for the hottest days. But I am satisfied just with the powder version :) And it seems safe enough! (for now! )

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Betsy wrote:
I have used many different types of organic deodorant over the past 7 years. Most of them don't work very well. It's very disappointing, to say the least. Last year I was was wits end and had decided to go back to "regular" deodorant because I was tired of being embarrassed in my extremely hot and humid summers!!!!

I was at Whole Foods and Pristine Beauty's Take a Wiff! caught my eye, so I decided to get one more brand a try. I have been pleasantly suprised with how well it's worked. On weekends I have spent 8-10 hours outside with Travel Baseball and I haven't been embarrased! . It does really work.

They also recommend to put baking soda on if you need extra protection, and that also helps quite a bit (when I remember).

The price on the web site is more than what I paid at Whole Foods. But, price is a factor with this product. However, the tube is larger than most and it has lasted a long time. In the end I feel like it's worth it if you want something that is natural and works really well.

My next best solution would be what CatholicMommy recommends of baking soda with coconut oil. This works pretty well, but it's messy and needs to be reapplied more often.

Bumping this thread (even though it's thursday). Do you still use this, Betsy? Does it smell like a Creamsicle? That doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm still looking for something that will work for me. It needs to be a heavy duty magic formula.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

@JennGM,
I DO still use it and like it, a lot. However, I recommend it to a friend that has tried many different organic deodorants and it didn't work for her. She has determined that her body chemistry just don't work with the natural formulas. She just gave in a got a regular deodorant.

As for the smell...I do like it. I am very sensitive to smell. I get unscented everything. I can't even walk down the cleaning isle at Walmart because the smells are so strong. However, this doesn't bother me.

I hope that helps!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2013 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm sensitive to smell, and I'm the same way about the cleaning aisles, and candle aisles.

I just don't like the scent of creamsicle! Is it a sweet smell, or more citrusy?

I have a terrible feelign I'm like your friend. So what's a "regular" deodorant? No aluminum still, or what?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 11 2013 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
I just don't like the scent of creamsicle! Is it a sweet smell, or more citrusy?

This is funny - ironically I'm having a nostalgia moment regarding creamsicles. It is a flavor (more than scent) that brings back lots of childhood memories. I made a creamsicle lip balm for my cousin's 50th birthday a few weeks ago - shared memory . Also have been enjoying the creamsicle cocktail I pinned on Pinterest awhile back - yummy. But you are right it is a sweeter smell (vanilla and orangy) - less citrus-y. I prefer the strong citrus.

CatholicMommy wrote:
Guess I'm sticking to baking soda and cornstarch. I did try a bit with coconut oil - I think it might work better for the hottest days. But I am satisfied just with the powder version :) And it seems safe enough! (for now! )

My daughter has been experimenting with the coconut oil/baking soda deodorant (w/lavender oil). i have tried hers also. It does need to be applied pretty frequently to be somewhat effective.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

For several months now I have been using coconut oil and baking soda...I haven't mixed them before hand. I simply have a jar of coconut oil and a box of baking soda in the bathroom    I put about a nickel's size amount on my fingers and rub in the oil (do that on each side). Then I put about a half dollar's size of powder in my palm, rub my palms together and then "pat" my pits

I almost never have any wetness...only in extreme heat situations...I can even go for a 2 mile walk in the 80s and no wetness. And absolutely not one bit of scent.

I was still having wetness and odor by the end of the day with the natural deodorants. Love this alternative!!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

monica4patience
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote monica4patience

I also have tried several natural deodorants without success. They would work fine in the winter. But when the warm summer arrives I sweat like crazy. I had to stop wearing sleeveless shirts because it would get heat rash under my pits, couldn't use any deodorant, and couldn't shave. I would also get heat rash on my rib cage where the girls rested! It was horribly uncomfortable. I finally gave in and use the clinical strength anti-antiperspirants under my arms and under the girls. It really helps. I didn't have a single case of heat rash last summer, despite camping in 100 degree weather. I even bought some tank tops for this summer!

New to homeschooling 11/12.
Back to Top View monica4patience's Profile Search for other posts by monica4patience

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2013 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I was happy with my Crystal Spray Deodorant last summer until the end of August, when it started to really irritate my skin.

At first I thought maybe the extreme heat of August was causing a heat rash type of reaction, but I tried it again in October, and within 24 hours my skin was again very irritated.

I guess I developed some type of sensitivity to it? Not sure what the deal was. I am sure that it was not fun either time.

So- had to scratch that.   I went to the EWG site and found a couple of deodorant/antiperspirants that had good safety ratings. One was a Ban product and one was a men's product: Arm&Hammer UltraMax Invisible Solid, scent-free. Safety rating for both is a 2 on the EWG scale (zero is best).

I decided that instead of making myself crazy and worrying about reapplying natural products all the time, I would try these. They are probably not as safe as the natural ones, but they work for now.

I have to admit it is a relief not to be worrying about deodorant all the time.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Chocolate and Zucchini has a coconut oil - baking soda - beeswax - palmarosa oil recipe on her blog, which I'd link to right now except I have a gazillion tabs open and if I open another one my computer is probably going to crash.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Chocolate and Zucchini has a coconut oil - baking soda - beeswax - palmarosa oil recipe on her blog, which I'd link to right now except I have a gazillion tabs open and if I open another one my computer is probably going to crash.   

this is her first one and this is the travel version.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
I was happy with my Crystal Spray Deodorant last summer until the end of August, when it started to really irritate my skin.

At first I thought maybe the extreme heat of August was causing a heat rash type of reaction, but I tried it again in October, and within 24 hours my skin was again very irritated.

I guess I developed some type of sensitivity to it? Not sure what the deal was. I am sure that it was not fun either time.

I'm sensitive to the crystals and the mineral salts over time, too.

Quote:
So- had to scratch that.   I went to the EWG site and found a couple of deodorant/antiperspirants that had good safety ratings. One was a Ban product and one was a men's product: Arm&Hammer UltraMax Invisible Solid, scent-free. Safety rating for both is a 2 on the EWG scale (zero is best).

I decided that instead of making myself crazy and worrying about reapplying natural products all the time, I would try these. They are probably not as safe as the natural ones, but they work for now.

I have to admit it is a relief not to be worrying about deodorant all the time.

If you have a chance, could you link them? I have a devil of a time getting through that EWG database.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thanks for finding the links, Jenn! I have half the number of tabs open now :D but I'm glad you did it.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Thanks for finding the links, Jenn! I have half the number of tabs open now :D but I'm glad you did it.

I'm the queen of tabs. Greatest invention, evah! But I do overdo it!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Sure, Jenn.

Arm&Hammer

Ban Invisible Solid

Ban on Amazon

The Ban rating is actually only a one on the EWG scale. Right now I am using up my Arm&Hammer and then plan to switch to the Ban

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2013 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Jenn:

mom to five

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I have been following this thread and was excited to find ban in my local Target. However, why on earth did they have to include barley?? I am gluten free and try to be conscious of gluten ingredients in my skin care as well as food. Barley is included in this category of gluten. Just thought I would mention it for others who might need to know. Back to the drawing board for me!
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this thread again. I'm trying out Primal Pit Paste. It's been a week and I'm super pleased.

TMI, but I've noticed that anti-perspirants have not been working for me. The "deodorant" part doesn't really cover up the odor, and I don't really stay dry. So why keep trying?

I'm using the regular paste lavender scented. I'm amazed at how well the odor protection is, and I'm drier that I usually am with anti-perspirant! While it does wear off like other ones do, I don't stink as bad as I do with other types of anti-perspirants and deodorants (and home approaches).

I do have to reapply sometimes, but I had to do that with anti-perspirants, so it's not too much more. I'm trying other samples of their deodorants. It's not summer, so I know I'll need more, but so far I'm pleased.

So far the baking soda has not irritated me much, and I hope to try the extra strength to see if that works even better.

All these choices are just baby steps. I can't become a granola overnight. But while I was getting all my heart tests done, the echocardiogram technician was really saying that aluminum is just so bad. I decided to try this route again pre-surgery because I want to have my body as "clean" as I can.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version