Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Aluminum free deodorant Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 31 2011 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Rats, I have to have unscented products or I get flare=ups of eczema.

But I will keep the sanitizer idea in mind...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

knowloveserve wrote:
Made an odd discovery a while ago:

So you know the 5 o'clock "pick-me-up" your armpits may need (especially if you are going aluminum free)... when whatever you're using is wearing off and you notice an "aroma" that is unpleasant emanating from your very own blessed pits???
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=knowloveserve]
I found a quick cure when you are out and about or for whatever reason you can't reapply whatever it is you were using:

Instant Hand Sanitizer (I usually have some conveniently in my van).     Just put a small blob on your hand and rub it on each armpit and the smell will be gone! It must be the alcohol killing all the bacteria.

Now, I wouldn't recommend this for daily, consistent use... but it sure can come in handy if you need a quick freshen up!

Awesome idea! I think you're right about the alcohol, someone had suggested alcohol for deodorant here, I believe.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 24 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Syncletica wrote:
Just a heads up on the Body Shop ones...the clerk there told me that the stick works better than the roll-on. Just so you know.

I apologize if I am making a nuisance of myself, but wanted to say that it seems to be dependent on the season of life one is in on how well those Body Shop ones work -- I am post partum, and have not been having much luck -- resorting to anti-perspirant for the time being...

"Live as though your judge were to meet you today, and you will not fear Him when He does come." - St. Augustine
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Pilgrim wrote:

Instant Hand Sanitizer (I usually have some conveniently in my van).     Just put a small blob on your hand and rub it on each armpit and the smell will be gone! It must be the alcohol killing all the bacteria.

Now, I wouldn't recommend this for daily, consistent use... but it sure can come in handy if you need a quick freshen up!

Quote:
Awesome idea! I think you're right about the alcohol, someone had suggested alcohol for deodorant here, I believe.

It makes sense because the odor comes from bacteria not sweat so the hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol kill it.    Anti-bacterial wipes work too.

I have noticed that the less sugar and processed food I eat the less I smell.

Also, Arm and Hammer has a natural deodorant that works pretty well for me (and is inexpensive!) but I think it's unrealistic to expect anything to work all day long --touch ups are almost always going to be needed.

I have found that sprinkling cornstarch into the armpits of my blouses and tops keeps me drier and keeps them from getting stained. I read this tip somewhere (Pinterest I think) and they said to iron it in but I have found sprinkling works just fine.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Great tip, Michele. Thanks! I feel like I am in deodorant jail... don't want to use the bad stuff, but always feeling a bit uneasy about whether or not the natural stuff is going to hold out.   I am always rushing upstairs before I leave the house to reapply- and I'm not even a heavy sweater/smeller.

My kids are not yet of deodorant age, but I want to have a solid product to offer them when they need it. A local doctor recently reviewed deodorants and talked about all the bad things in them.... then went on to say that he has only found one kind that really works (available at only one store in town and expensive) .

I am going to look in to the A&H, also

Oh, heck- maybe I'll just smell

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Ooo, I've been meaning to share my latest finds (which may have already been mentioned.)

Alvera Aloe Herbal All Natural Roll On Deodorant

Naturally Fresh Spray Mist Body Deodorant

Both are reasonably priced and worked better this summer than anything I've tried so far.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

The only natural deodorant that has ever worked for my family is the one made by Melaleuca. I don't know if you have to be a member to buy it. We used to be members but now just order with my neighbor who continues her membership. We love their products and have found them to work very well, but I didn't order enough monthly for membership to be a wise financial option. My neighbor has 5 kids and finds it to be a huge money saver for her. Their products are eco-friendly but they work.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, I'm trying again to go to the natural deodorant. I'm using all the suggestions above, and it's not even hot out. Anyone have new suggestions? Just a little desperate.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think I've heard of using Colloidal Silver wiped on.. that the odor is from the harmless bacteria on the skin (maybe it was even beneficial bacteria.. but in that location causes odor.. and using something.. CS, peroxide etc that would reduce the bacteria in the area it reduces odor.

I have just come to the conclusion that I like the comfort level of anti-perspirant deoderants and don't think about it

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Someone on another thread suggested about dietary issues when it comes to smells....

if it's perspiration that's the issue, I have found that natural fibers for clothing, as well as looser clothes (let the skin breathe) and many months of letting the body work itself out - have all minimized the perspiration "evidence" - and even the perspiration itself. I seem to sweat different now - it's hard to explain, but a good thing!

I've been doing baking soda and cornstarch combo for 4+ years now. I won't go back to anything else.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm a sticlkler for natural fibers. I think some people just sweat more than others. I happen to be one of them.

The baking soda is irritating my skin, so how about just cornstarch? Waste of time?

I have been thinking like that for years Jodie. If this is too hard and requires so much thought and worry I may just revert back to the bad ways. It is nice to only have to think about once or twice a day.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote greengables

Hi Ladies,

A neighbor told me about a deodorant stone called THAI made from crystallized natural mineral salts which kill odor causing bacteria. This stone contains no harmful chemicals, oils, perfumes, or emulsifiers and of course no aluminum chlorhydrate. It is just pure and natural so I ordered one! So far so good! Evidently it also works great for foot odor, but I haven't the need for that thankfully! :)

God bless you,

Jill

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

knowloveserve wrote:
Made an odd discovery a while ago:

So you know the 5 o'clock "pick-me-up" your armpits may need (especially if you are going aluminum free)... when whatever you're using is wearing off and you notice an "aroma" that is unpleasant emanating from your very own blessed pits???

I found a quick cure when you are out and about or for whatever reason you can't reapply whatever it is you were using:

Thanks so much for this tip! I was out one day and had forgotten my deodorant, and was so happy to remember this tip, and it worked!!! Thank you.

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2012 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This is weird... I found Crystal Spray Deodorant on clearance at my grocery store, so I figured I would buy a bottle and give it a try. Nothing to lose for $1, ya know....

Oddly, it works! How can this be? The first ingredient is mineralized water, which made me nervous right off the bat, and the only other thing in there is mineralized salts.

But- I've been using it almost two months now, and it is working really well. A couple of times I put it on in the morning, then forgot to reapply before running around all afternoon. I was nervous, but there was no problem.

Also, it is not an antiperspirant, but I seem to be sweating less overall since starting to use it. It is doing as good a job as my old bad-for-you deodorant/antiperspirant, and way better than the Toms of Maine I was using before.

Weird, but,,, yay!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I'm glad this thread got bumped because I wanted to post too but was too lazy to go looking for the thread.

I've been using NOW Solutions long-lasting deodorant stick for several months now and it's by far my favorite. It's works better than any natural deodorant I have used so far. The main ingredient is coconut oil and it has a nice lavender scent.

Edited to add: It says it provides "Odor Eliminating Protection for Days" and I have to say that for me it really does.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I didn't get in the first rounds of this discussion, but it of interest so I'm intrigued.

Melinda - the link says it can be spraying inside of shoes for odor. Have you tried that? Sounds intriguing.

Thanks for the recomendation Michele - I really like NOW products and this one looks like one I'd try. The fragrances it includes are great - though I have a rosemary hating son who might be repelled by me also...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I actually used just plain coconut oil for a while and it worked really well. I don't know if that's because I was drinking it, too, and not eating any processed foods at that time? This thread made me think about it, and I'm going to try it again.

Has anyone else used coconut oil as deodorant?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

This article explains why the coconut oil might work. I can't vouch for the rest of this blog, as I just googled around and found this. But it seems as if it worked for her, too.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Coconut oil is one of those super foods.   
I have used it as skin lotion but not as deodorant. Thanks for the tip!

Mary- I have not tried the Crystal in shoes, but it's good to know that is an option.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

JennGM wrote:
I'm a sticlkler for natural fibers. I think some people just sweat more than others. I happen to be one of them.

The baking soda is irritating my skin, so how about just cornstarch? Waste of time?

I have been thinking like that for years Jodie. If this is too hard and requires so much thought and worry I may just revert back to the bad ways. It is nice to only have to think about once or twice a day.

The baking soda by itself was really starting to irritate me for a while - when I switched to 50/50 it cleared up. I personally can't do 100% cornstarch - it doesn't seem to work.

One of these days I'm going to get brave and mix the 50/50 with coconut oil, just to see how it feels :)

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version