Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Best Wordless Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've been trying to remember all the wordless books we read. One finally came to mind:

The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola

Brings back fond memories for my oldest.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2012 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It is not totally wordless. It has sound words (onomatopoeia) that accompany the actions of the story - but there is no text to tell the story, so I am going to consider it wordless. It is a very cute "read".

Red sled by Lita Judge

See a preview video here on her website.

This is the photo from her childhood (her parents were wildlife photogrpahers) that inspired her picture book story.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2012 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Wave by Suzy Lee is another fun one. I like the limited color scheme... And it's perfect for summertime!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 27 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

knowloveserve wrote:
Mirror by Jeannie Baker. Baker is a collage artist and she uses an assortment of materials, fabric and natural foliage to construct this very novel book. It is testament again that wordless stories aren’t just for preschoolers; in fact I think you’d really need to be about eight years old at least to really appreciate what’s going on here. When you open this book you have two stories side by side on each side the outside covers, so you are flipping pages from the inside binding to show the daily lives of an Australian child and a Morrocan child. It’s a beautiful social studies lesson on the uniqueness of two very different cultures but the same threads of family, meals, and home life bind us all together.

Got this one a while ago but just having a chance to really "read" it. It is really engaging - such an great interwoven story with so much richness to mine. Like Ellie said, you have to be mature enough to get the cool connections between the families and how they are connected to each other though they live in very different cultures.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole (Nov. 2012)
A great wordless picture book of the Underground Railroad. Amazing the power of a story that can be told without words. The title has double meaning - it is a wordless picture book about an encounter between a young girl and an escaped slave (who we really never see) yet so much is conveyed. Not for the youngest set as it would be over their head, but other readers should enjoy. The illustrations are quite striking - pencil drawings on sepia.

Our Domestic Church

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

SeaStar wrote:
Peter Collington's A Small Miracle is a great one for the holidays.

Peter Collington has several other wordless books too (though Small Miracle is my favorite) that are excellent including another Christmas one called "On Christmas Eve."

It answers the question of how St. Nick could deliver presents to a small girl without a chimney.   

Midnight Circus is also lovely.

Sadly most of his stuff is out of print, though readily available and cheap on the used market.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Winter Visitors
The Summer Visitors

Almost wordless books which feature a family of bears that take up residence in a cabin when the human family leaves and how they have to leave when the humans return. They are very cute and reminded me of the idea behind Gus was Friendly Ghost that I remembered from childhood.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thunderstorm (Arthur Geisert) - 2013 publication, lovely artwork from Geisert, a fun book for anyone who has experienced a thunderstorm

MaryM wrote:
A recently published one that is spectacular (Caldecott Honor Book) is The Lion & the Mouse illustrated by Jerry Pinkney.
The followup to the above book - another Aesop fable retold in pictures (& a couple words) by Jerry Pinkney. Beautiful.
The Tortoise & the Hare

The Boy and the Airplane (Mark Pett) - Very simple illustrations. Story of a little boy who is playing with a toy airplane until it gets stuck on the roof. Attempts to retrieve it fail...proceeds with a very unusual twist.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 21 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Ellie's blog alerted me to an old Caldecott acceptance speech of David Wiesner (Tuesday). I loved reading what he said about wordless books and thought it would be a nice addition to this thread.

Quote:
A wordless book offers a different kind of an experience from one with text, for both the author and the reader. There is no author’s voice telling the story. Each viewer reads the book in his or her own way. The reader is an integral part of the storytelling process. As a result, there are as many versions of what happened that Tuesday night as there are readers. For some, the dog in the story is rightfully defending his territory against amphibian invaders, and their sympathy lies with the dog when the frogs get the best of him. For others, the dog is a humorless bully who gets his comeuppance. As the author of a wordless book, I don’t have to concern myself about whether the reader’s interpretation of each and every detail is the same as mine. My own view has no more, and no less, validity than that of any other viewer. Since my intent was for the book, as a whole, to make people laugh, all that matters is that the pictures are funny.

A series of individually funny pictures, however, does not necessarily add up to a successful story. The book was very carefully plotted, and details were developed in ways that move the story forward as logically as possible, from the full moon that rises slowly in the sky that first Tuesday night, to the gibbous moon that appears a week later at the end. By placing my characters in the context of a familiar reality, I hoped to entice readers to take that great leap of faith and believe that frogs, and perhaps pigs, too, could fly—if the conditions were just right.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Flashlight (Lizi Boyd) - this is a fun little story for anyone fascinated by flashlights. I loved flashlight play as a kid... . Anyway it is a mostly black and white illustrated book, with the color coming in the light of the flashlight - really clever illustrations. It is a simple story which follows a child out at night with a flashlight, illuminating different objects and creatures he finds along the way. Then the tables turn and the creatures get the light and illuminate the boy. Has little cut outs between the pages for a peak at the next page.

Our Domestic Church

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Newcomer Aaron Becker has a gorgeous little series going. Wordless books lend themselves so very well to the absurd, the fantastical and the adventurous. Journey is his first book... there is also Quest.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

MaryM wrote:
Flashlight (Lizi Boyd) - this is a fun little story for anyone fascinated by flashlights. I loved flashlight play as a kid... . Anyway it is a mostly black and white illustrated book, with the color coming in the light of the flashlight - really clever illustrations. It is a simple story which follows a child out at night with a flashlight, illuminating different objects and creatures he finds along the way. Then the tables turn and the creatures get the light and illuminate the boy. Has little cut outs between the pages for a peak at the next page.

I saw this! I am always amazed at how there are still novel, interesting innovations in the picture book world! Very cool.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Erin

The Chicken Thief by Beatrice Rodriguez Very well done

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
Will you throw tomatoes at me for admitting I don't like wordless picture books?

Erin wrote:
The Chicken Thief by Beatrice Rodriguez Very well done

YAY!! So are you a wordless picture book convert, now, Erin?!?!? Did we convince you???

knowloveserve wrote:
Newcomer Aaron Becker has a gorgeous little series going. Wordless books lend themselves so very well to the absurd, the fantastical and the adventurous. Journey is his first book... there is also Quest.

Thanks for pointing those out - I had forgotten to mention. -They are fun.

Our Domestic Church

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well you convinced me to take a second look and this book was actually interestingly done. So a semi-convert

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
Well you convinced me to take a second look and this book was actually interestingly done. So a semi-convert

OK - we will keep working on you...

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 21 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Have a few more to add. 2014 seems to have been a more abundant year than some for wordless picture books.

The Girl and the Bicycle - Mark Pett
Oh, my goodness, this is such a sweet book. Made me teary eyed. I could tell toward the end where it was going and that is what happened. In that sense good for students if they can catch the details even without words. So powerful that a great story can be understood visually. Another super cool thing about the book for those who are observant and have read Mark Petts previous wordless book, The Boy and the Airplane. (which I recommended last year above) is a subtle visual reference. Are you aware of the term "Easter egg" to refer to an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword? Anyway it is a great "Easter egg." Made me smile. Now I need to go back and reread the airplane book to see if there is even more significance than I remember.

Fossil -Bill Thomson
Fabulous pictures in a somewhat oversize book which is really cool for a book relying on illustrations to tell a story. I thought is was an interesting fantasy. Basically a boy and his dog find some fossils on a walk, then the plants and animals from the fossils start to come to life which leads to some drama. Several reviews on Amazon object to the ending which has the boy destroying the fossils to end the "illusion" or whatever it is. Felt it was encouraging destruction of of something of scientific value. Anyway, I kind of agree - it was kind of a weird ending.

Flora and the Penguin - Molly Idle
This is the second in a series of adventures of a little girl with a bird. In the first (Flora and the Flamingo) she is dancing with a flamingo and in the second skating with a penguin. They are super cute and funny books. Both have interactive flaps that add to the fun. Another aspect I really liked was the color scheme. Each is primarily in a monochromatic scheme - the flamingo one in pinks and the penguin one in blues.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, and this is not a recent one but just found it. I really enjoy the collage illustrations of Steve Jenkins so enjoyed this.

Looking Down

It is a nice look at the study of magnitude. Starts with a view of earth from space. Each page getting closer, continent, region, city, neighborhood, yard, little boy, magnifying glass, insect. Very cool. Would be a nice supplement to Mary Daly's "Universe in My Hands" curriculum.

Our Domestic Church

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2015 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am in love with Draw! by Raul Colon (Illustrator of Angela and the Baby Jesus).

I saw it at the library and was immediately drawn in by the whole idea...
boy dreams of Africa, takes his sketch book, away he goes.

I love the colors and the flow of the pages- also the humor!
My ds (12) was inspired today to try his hand at sketching African animals after reading it

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2015 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Float (Daniel Miyares) - very sweet story, engaging illustrations, and I always love a story about a child playing in the rain.

Before and After (Anne-Margot Ramstein) - clever concept, great for expanding thinking in young children, would be good for talking through the ideas together ("what happened?" Why did that happen?" etc.), simply illustrations that are well done.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version