Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Calligraphy, Manuscripts, Bookmaking Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Last night we read Magic in the Margins: A Medieval Tale of Bookmaking by W. Nikola-Lisa, illustrated by Bonnie Christensen.

This is a book about a boy who was taken in a monastery and apprenticed to copy and decorate manuscripts. The story is about his process of reaching the point when he could finally officially work on the books.

It covers calligraphy, drawing, painting, preparing the parchment or vellum, quills, and pigments. The illustrations readily depict the wonderful types of illuminations one can find in these old manuscripts.

I know of one other picture book covering this area:

Marguerite Makes a Book by Bruce Robertson, illustrated by Kathryn Hewitt.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I know this is not the same thing..but I use it with the Marguerite book to show someone doing their special work for God...I usually tie them together:
Brother Joseph Painter of Icons
and then I bring in:
The Book of Kells to show examples of more holy work..I tie this into them learning how to write beautifully for love of God.

Thanks for the heads-up on the other book! I am looking forward to seeing it!

HTH!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ah, Donna Marie, we think alike! I have a version of the Book of Kells (that I bought in Ireland after viewing the real thing) that I use to show examples, too! I have other calligraphy books that show wonderful examples of illumination, too.

I'll add here that heraldry is another aspect of illumination. There's a book about St. Therese called Therese and Lisieux by Pierre Descouvemont that show actual heraldry work done by St. Therese and her sister Celine.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I meant to add, I love the idea of the icon painting, Donna Marie. It is a bit different media, but still wonderful fit.

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

We just finished a unit on illuminated manuscripts and enjoyed the two books you mention and also The Sailor Who Captured the Sea about the Book of Kells.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SaraP wrote:
We just finished a unit on illuminated manuscripts and enjoyed the two books you mention and also The Sailor Who Captured the Sea about the Book of Kells.

Thanks, Sara! Can't wait to check it out!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 1:34am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Across a Dark and Wild Sea (Don Brown) is a living book that I have suggested before as a possible basis for a unit study on monasteries, manuscripts, bookmaking, and uncial alphabet. It is listed in Catholic Mosaic so you've probably seen it. Though I think it's good for a study of this sort, I also note some caveats be aware of in a review I wrote in this thread.

Would you include Gutenberg and printing press in a unit like this? I've run across a good book for that, which does talk about illuminated manuscript and bookmaking.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Across a Dark and Wild Sea (Don Brown) is a living book that I have suggested before as a possible basis for a unit study on monasteries, manuscripts, bookmaking, and uncial alphabet. It is listed in Catholic Mosaic so you probably seen it. Though I think it's good for a study of this sort, I also note some caveats be aware of in a review I wrote in this thread.

This is one I haven't gotten yet. It's one that doesn't attract me so far, mainly because of your points.

MaryM wrote:
Would you include Gutenberg and printing press in a unit like this? I've run across a good book for that, which does talk about illuminated manuscript and bookmaking.

That is too funny, Mary, because I was thinking the same thing, to incorporate Gutenberg. So suggestions very welcome for me!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Johann Gutenberg and the Amazing Printing Press

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I'm tickled pink about this latest book I've found!

The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane by C. M. Millen, illustrated by Andrea Wisnewski.

The illustrations are papercut prints and handcolored with watercolors, reminiscent of illuminated manuscripts.

The story is about Brother Theophane who discovers other ink colors he could make from plants for the illuminated manuscripts.

The poems are based from real verses written by early monks, take from The New Oxford Book of Irish Verse translated by Thomas Kinsella.

The back has some interesting books and links for more information. All the books we've listed above are included.

The websites are really good:
how to make hawthorn ink

Extracting Colors from plants

How illuminated Manuscripts were made

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That looks like an amazing book! Thanks.

Our Domestic Church

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

Jenn-

The Walters art museum in Baltimore has an amazing collection of illuminated manuscripts and a great exhibit on how they were made. It's also very child-friendly - even my 4yo loved it.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SaraP wrote:
Jenn-

The Walters art museum in Baltimore has an amazing collection of illuminated manuscripts and a great exhibit on how they were made. It's also very child-friendly - even my 4yo loved it.

Great to know! That's definitely a doable day trip for us! Thanks!

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Jenn, thanks for posting this! I bought that book for one of my children for Christmas and it is just lovely.
ETA: I bought the Ink Garden book.
SaraP wrote:
Jenn-

Sara, do you know if this is a permanent exhibit? I'd love to take everyone up to see it, but I don't know if I can get there until after the first of the year. Sure hope it's permanent!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

stellamaris wrote:
Sara, do you know if this is a permanent exhibit?

I think they have a rather large permanent collection of manuscripts that is periodically rearranged to highlight different things. When we were last there the theme was medieval people at play and now they have an exhibit on animals in medieval manuscripts. So I would think that whenever you go, there will be something relevant.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Great! Thanks!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From this thread:

JennGM wrote:
After Ellie recommended it here, I requested this one for our library, waited forever for it to arrive, then I got laryngitis, but finally tonight we read it.

I think Brother William's Year: A Monk at Westminster Abbey is my new favorite picture book! This definitely fits into the gardening/spring theme, but it covers all the months.

It follows the Benedictine monks of Westminister Abbey in England around the year 1380 (so before the Protestant Revolt). The book is absolutely delightful. Even the final note about the dissolution of the abbey was spot on. The main character is Brother William, who is the gardener, so the book follows the seasons, and highlights some of the liturgical feasts.

What appeals to me the most are the illustrations and illuminations. The book is done is gouache and an egg wash, so very authentic, and it looks very much like an illuminated manuscript. The Illuminated letters for each month are gorgeous and inviting.

I have to add this book to the list. Although it doesn't treat calligraphy outright, it does have illumination, both as examples throughout the book, and within the story, an illustrator adds Brother William picking apples in one of the illuminated manuscripts.

And since the art of calligraphy and illumination originates from the religious of the monasteries, this is a perfect book to add to this genre.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I found another book that falls into this category. This is one of my favorite topics, so I like to have books that inspire my boys, too.

Illuminations by Jonathan Hunt. This was printed in 1989, so you'll have to find a used copy. I found this one in my library.

It's an A to Z book covering the Middle Ages, especially related to King Arthur Legends. The book is gorgeously illustrated in illuminated style of manuscripts.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2012 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Jenn, thank you for sharing Illuminations. It looks wonderful! My "artsy" son loved The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane. I'm sure he's going to love this. He recently asked if he could learn how to do calligraphy, so this will fit right into that new interest.

Flowing Streams

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 27 2012 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
Jenn, thank you for sharing Illuminations. It looks wonderful! My "artsy" son loved The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane. I'm sure he's going to love this. He recently asked if he could learn how to do calligraphy, so this will fit right into that new interest.

Some of the creative art work for the children in Levels II and II of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (ages 6-12) is calligraphy--copying passages of Scripture, making Scripture booklets, prayer cards, illuminating them.... I find these books have really helped keep that ignited here in our family.

I've looked over many books for calligraphy, and recently someone recommended Eleanor Winters Calligraphy for Kids. I just checked it out, and I think it's the best out there for beginning calligraphy. And believe me, I have lots and have looked through many more. Her companion book 1-2-3 Calligraphy!: Letters and Projects for Beginners and Beyond is good, but not necessary.

I've been slipping into lazy calligraphy, and looking over the book yesterday I was able to zoom in onto some key points and tighten up my Italic printing.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version