Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Calligraphy, Manuscripts, Bookmaking Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2012 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thanks, again! I have a bunch of older calligraphy books in Virginia, so when I head down there I'll check out my "collection". The Eleanor Winters book does look nice!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I had to share this photo of cat paw prints on manuscripts, which I originally found on Father Z's Blog. This post has more about the cats and mice and manuscripts.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A few more books to recommend regarding Illuminated Manuscripts:

The Book of Hours with a Historical Survey and Commentary by John Harthan, copyright 1977. Out of print, the used copies aren't too expensive. This is not a children's text, but the illustrations are sumptuous, most full page. Looking it over, it is tempting to think of framing them. So gorgeous, and I find real-life examples really inspire my boys to try and imitate. They were also looking for examples that inspired Marguerite's book. It is an oversized (coffee table style) and thick book.

Bibles and Bestiaries: A Guide to Illuminated Manuscripts by Elizabeth B. Wilson. This is more recent, 1994. It's smaller, and the images are varied, but not as big as in above.

Illuminated Manuscripts by Janice Anderson, copyright 1999. This book is another oversized, not as thick as the first book. It covers many more centuries and examples of illuminated manuscripts, not just the Books of Hours.

And after seeing such inspiration, and nice "how-to" book is The Bible of Illuminated Letters: A Treasury of Decorative Calligraphy edited by Margaret Morgan. This book covers tools and techniques, and different alphabet styles including Celtic, Ottonian, Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance White vine and Renaissance neo-Classical, and then contemporary examples. It's not necessarily a beginning calligrapher book nor a children's book, but it's well-detailed steps and an intermediate calligrapher could follow.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 20 2013 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

That is so cool. Sending to all my catlover friends.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version