Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Favorite spring books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
We've been prepping our garden area lately and the little boys have had fun helping me dig up trenches. We've also been moving compost around and what do you find in compost and good soil: worms.

They enjoyed reading Yucky Worms by Vivian French. The illustrations are sweet and show lots of garden angles. It was just enough information about worms for them that while we've been working they've been able to remind me that our plants will need our new friends!

A real winner! Thanks for the recommendation on this one!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Wow, so many new additions to this thread! Thank you, ladies!!

Glad you bumped. I have this armload of spring/gardening books I wanted to mention and need to return to the library.

We are totally hooked on Mousekin books by Edna Miller. OOP, and some title are harder to find -- I'm afraid my library will drop the titles one day...gotta find some for our own home. Anyway, Mousekin's Easter Basket is perfect for spring. MaryM is of course saying "I told you so."

Eddie's Garden and How to Make Things Grow

How My Garden Grew by Anne and Harlow Rockwell

K Is for Kite: God's Springtime Alphabet by Kathy-Jo Wargin. Very sweet, joyful, and positive.

Pick, Pull, Snap!: Where Once a Flower Bloomed by Lola M. Schaefer. Nice fold-out pages that my boys enjoyed, guessing what the plants might be.

Strega Nona's Harvest by Tomie dePaola

Up, Down, and Around by Katherine Ayres

And the Good Brown Earth by Kathy Henderson. The illustrations are not my favorite but the text is fabulous.

Jack's Garden by Henry Cole is still one of our annual favorites.

Little Farm by the Sea by Kay Chorao has to be one of my favorites of this year. It's an older one, OOP, but really gives a great picture of a little family farm around the seasons.

The Year At Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen in the same genre.

And there are quite a few Little Golden Books illustrated by Eloise Wilkin and Garth Williams that we reread. And Robert McCloskey's books, fit well into the Spring/Summer reading basket, especially the spring ones Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal.

We've read loads more. This time of year has so many choices!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just added a bunch to our hold requests! Thanks, Jen!

The boys are loving Muncha, Muncha, Muncha, even though we do not have bunnies (too many fox! ).

And, thanks for the reminder on Strega Nona's Harvest. We checked it out in the fall and enjoyed it a lot. And just yesterday in the van, ds5 was asking about "that book where the funny man planted a garden that looked like a jungle..." and I was at a loss . Just requested it again!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I know it's not spring - so kinda funny to bump this thread, but...

JennGM wrote:
After Ellie recommended it here, I requested this one for our library, waited forever for it to arrive, then I got laryngitis, but finally tonight we read it.

I think Brother William's Year: A Monk at Westminster Abbey is my new favorite picture book! This definitely fits into the gardening/spring theme, but it covers all the months.

It has taken me a while to get to this book after Ellie and Jenn spoke so highly of it. Our library didn't have it - then I requested it and it came while we were in Spain. Just getting to read it today. I concur - it is a fabulous picture book for Catholic families - so rich in history (monasteries), liturgical year, plants, seasons. I can see why you were quoting from it and commenting on it in so many different threads, Jenn. It fits a lot of themes!    

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version