Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Goal and Our Guides Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Has anyone used this series? I requested it from the library and it seems very thorough. I'm thinking of using it with dd next year and through high school. I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm using it! Actually, my daughter requested to use it after looking through the books which we were gifted. She's enjoying it so far, but I don't have enough perspective to give you a whole lot of insight.

They are quite thorough and comprehensive. I do find that I LOVE the Related Reading booklists at the end of each unit!! There are some gems listed there! I've already hunted down one of the titles and we are really enjoying it - Twelve Catholic Men of Science edited by Bertram Windle. Of course, I should mention that most/all of these titles are out of print since the series was originally published in 1955. Because the series was written pre-Vatican II you can expect that to be reflected in the content and liturgical format of the book.

My dd and I have already had some great discussions from her reading so far, and I find the illustrations and examples given very helpful. I do have my daughter narrate her reading to me, but I've also made use of some of the review questions at the end of each section. Some of them are quite thought provoking.

Hoping someone else can offer you more perspective and experience in using the series, Paula!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Which version are you using, Jen?

I know Our Lady of the Rosary uses this series in high school, and maybe Our Lady of Victory? They are very well-done, but the subjects covered in each year are a little different than the Didache series, to use as a comparison.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I think the version I'm looking at is from 1945. The illustrations are beautiful. I have now purchased the first volume from OLV.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2010 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Which version are you using, Jen?

I know Our Lady of the Rosary uses this series in high school, and maybe Our Lady of Victory? They are very well-done, but the subjects covered in each year are a little different than the Didache series, to use as a comparison.

I'm not sure, Jenn. It's hard to figure out with the copy I have. The first page does say: Book 1, revised. I'm not sure what year they were reprinted in, but I'm pretty sure the version we have is from the series reprinted by Lepanto Press for use in the Our Lady of Victory program. The Imprimatur date is January 25, 1955. There is no copyright date listed anywhere that I can find.   

I would agree. They do seem to be VERY well written and presented...but would be quite different from the Didache series.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, I responded thinking you were referring to the whole series, Paula, so my questions and contribution might have been confusing. I love to talk about books, so pardon my long post!

The whole series is called Our Quest for Happiness, printed by Mentzer, Bush & Company.

Freshman, Our Goal and Our Guides, which covers God the Father.

Sophomore, Through Christ Our Lord, Christ, the Incarnate Redeemer

Junior, The Ark and the Dove, Holy Ghost and the Church

Senior, Towards the Eternal Commencement, The Future

There are two versions, so the Lepanto Version is the revised version from 1954, the first version was about 10 years prior.

I have both versions of the junior year, to do a side-by-side. What is unique in the first version is that in each chapter there is a table of Parallel Readings in Other High School Religion Texts, including Laux, which you mention often, Jen.

The suggested readings in books and pamphlets are slightly different, some have overlapping titles.

Not sure if the Lepanto Press includes the wonderful chart in the back cover, which shows the division of subject matter for the four years of high school. That was in the text of the original edition. That is extremely helpful.

I love these books. These and the Didache series (and My Catholic Faith by Bishop Morrow) are definitely what I would use as the ground plan for my high school religion. I dislike texts, but these are quite rich and thorough. Since I'm not teaching high school now, though, I use them personally for my reference and enrichment to help plan for the lower grades. I do really appreciate the Didache because it gives a really rich Bible study, and also the connection with our Catechism of the Catholic Church, which wasn't written at the time of the Quest for Happiness series.

I do think we live in a wonderful time, when many older books are being reprinted in a well-done fashion. (It's not universally true, but it's so much better!)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Oh, I agree with Jenn and Jen!

I was gifted, once upon a time, with a carton of books from an estate (someones mom had passed away and would I want these 'old fashioned' books...oh the treasures in that box...I have the first 3 of this series and we are still slowly working our way through book 1. I have been using it to teach the kids to take notes because of the way the material is divided....they have the material outlined for you, so it is great to jot down notes and include your own thoughts as you go along on the other side of the page of notes. (I have the kids do this in a steno book) I also have them copy the charts and pics included in most chapters. They remind me of the visuals you would see in the Baltimore Catechism which is helpful when you have 2 kids that think heavily in pictures.

...best move I made last year, I tell you!

We also use the Morrow book..I picked that one up when Jenn mentioned it more than a year ago...love that too...and the Didache series. I have to say that these 3 together make me VERY comfortable with what the kids are learning for religious studies for High School...and that is the only subject that I can say that about 100%

We do use other resources, but these 3 are my go-to in planning. I throw in lots of living books as we go along..or as they find us! ...also depending on what we are covering.

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I did get the set of four from the library, and they are the original version. I'm going to end up buying the other three in the series, and now I'm looking at Jenn's other recommendations!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 15 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This has been super helpful for me! Thanks for asking the question, Paula!

Donna Marie, I so appreciate your perspective! I too was feeling very comfortable moving forward with high school religion with these in hand. The considerations shared here are so affirming!   

Jenn, I value your 2 cents on this so much! I'm so grateful for the comparison of the two versions! I had no idea that the reprints would be missing things that sound so helpful and useful. I wonder why they weren't included in the revision?

I have the 1st, 2nd, and 4th books in this series, along with the answer/teacher's guides that OLV published, but have been looking for the 3rd/Junior year book (The Ark and the Dove). I knew that these were reprints, but I'm so grateful to know of the differences now! I would REALLY like to have that table of parallel readings after hearing about it!

Wonderful, wonderful conversation ladies! Thank you!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:
   I would REALLY like to have that table of parallel readings after hearing about it!

Oh so you Jen

Well now I couldn't help it I had to look, see how affordable they are! Now I'm off to ask about postage.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
   I would REALLY like to have that table of parallel readings after hearing about it!

Oh so you Jen

Well now I couldn't help it I had to look, see how affordable they are! Now I'm off to ask about postage.

I'm the same way, Jen. I was just thinking that wouldn't be hard to type up those tables. But I only have the 3rd volume in the older edition (although I think my mother has the rest). It would be a very handy reference.

Those prices aren't too bad. It was a widely published catechism, so that's good. There's another series I've been trying to track down, just to see what it's like and the cost is so prohibitive because the books weren't in print very long, nor widely used.

Donna, it's nice to know that you find these books helpful, too.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'm getting confused. Jenn, what tables are you talking about? I have all four books in the original edition, and they all have the same table. It's toward the front of each book, listing the contents and topics for all four years. Is there another table I'm missing?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Paula in MN wrote:
I'm getting confused. Jenn, what tables are you talking about? I have all four books in the original edition, and they all have the same table. It's toward the front of each book, listing the contents and topics for all four years. Is there another table I'm missing?

At the beginning of the text, (volume 3, p. 24) there is a list of Other Religion Textbooks.

Not all listed are used. The ones cited in the following tables are:
::Campion, Catholic Action Series, 3 vols., Sadlier.
::Cassilly, Religion: Doctrin and Practice, Loyola.
::Christian Brothers, Manual of Christian Doctrine (61st ed), La Salle Bureau, N.Y..
::Falque, Catholic Truth in Survey, 2 vols., Benzinger.
::Gaume, J.J., Catechism of Perseverance, 4 vols., Gill, Dublin; Benziger, N.Y.
::Graham, Faith for Life, Bruce.
::Laux, Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools, 4 vols., Benziger.

p. 31 has the table for Unit One, which covers the 8th articles of the Creed, Holy Spirit, Confirmation, and Sanctifying Grace, and for each of the above there are the corresponding pages or chapters.

p. 135 is Unit Two, etc.

Seeing as there are only 5 or 6 units per volume, it doesn't seem hard to type up a table and all the book recommendations for each unit (and then perhaps combine both editions of the book recommendations).

That's what I would like to do for myself. I'll start with Vol. 3 to illustrate.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

2010-07-16_123342_Parallel_Readings_in_other_high_school_rel igion_texts.doc

Here's an excerpt from Unit I.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I got it. In Book One the table of parallel readings is at the end of each chapter. I'm scanning them now.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

JennGM wrote:

At the beginning of the text, (volume 3, p. 24) there is a list of Other Religion Textbooks.

Not all listed are used. The ones cited in the following tables are:
::Campion, Catholic Action Series, 3 vols., Sadlier.
::Cassilly, Religion: Doctrin and Practice, Loyola.
::Christian Brothers, Manual of Christian Doctrine (61st ed), La Salle Bureau, N.Y..
::Falque, Catholic Truth in Survey, 2 vols., Benzinger.
::Gaume, J.J., Catechism of Perseverance, 4 vols., Gill, Dublin; Benziger, N.Y.
::Graham, Faith for Life, Bruce.
::Laux, Course in Religion for Catholic High Schools, 4 vols., Benziger.

My list is different! It is on P.22 and is from a book dated 1958...same volume...published Mentzer, Bush and Co...interesting! It includes Sister Jane Marie's The Christian Religion Series..(of which I think I have one of them here)

Listed under General bibliography with lists under them are:
The Bible
The Liturgy
General References
High School Religion Texts
Saints: Collected Lives
Magazines
Newspapers
Pamphlets

Do you want me to post the list?

Arg! Looking closer at your link I see that I don't have the table you have! I love that feature! I just have lists of books used kind of thing...sigh! I still love this book tho...

Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

1958? Interesting, Donna Marie. My volume 3 editions are 1945 and 1957.

Because there are about 10 years difference between revisions, it's not surprising there are different religion series listed. I didn't include the whole list, just the ones in the table for the 1945 edition.

What is different about the reprint (1950s) editions is that there is no table in the following units which gives pages or chapters for the other religion series. So while the front section has the similar categories and lists (although differing somewhat in content) it's the tables that are lacking in the later editions.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Bumping this because....

I didn't know I had requested the Techer's Manual for use with Our Quest for Happiness when I requested the series.

I HIT THE JACKPOT!

What a treasure trove of information, charts, exam questions! Printed in 1947, it covers all four books. It is OOP, but I'm putting this at the top of my list.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Paula in MN wrote:
Bumping this because....

I didn't know I had requested the Techer's Manual for use with Our Quest for Happiness when I requested the series.

I HIT THE JACKPOT!

What a treasure trove of information, charts, exam questions! Printed in 1947, it covers all four books. It is OOP, but I'm putting this at the top of my list.

If anyone finds one of these, would you let me know?    

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Paula,

Is Teacher's Manual how it was labeled in your search engine? Sounds so interesting.

I'm seriously considering switching to Our Quest for Happiness for my ds15. He is finding the Didache style doesn't suit him, they are very wordy, lots of information and the words are often unfamiliar to him. I think the latter is the biggest problem.
What style of writing is the OQFH written in? Is it more basic, actually I'd be interested in knowing what style Bishop Morrow's writing is like too?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version