Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Goal and Our Guides Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Erin wrote:
Paula,

Is Teacher's Manual how it was labeled in your search engine?

I did a search using the title and the author, and received a list of five books, all at different libraries in our system. Only one of them says Teacher's Manual. I must have requested it without realizing, but I was surprised when I was told my book was ready.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been trying to find one on Abebooks, but haven't yet, I'll keep trying

Regards the writing style, how would you describe it?

Also I note it was written pre-Vatican 2, is this an issue? In particular if you don't attend the Latin Mass?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I thought the books very easy to read, not conversational but more casual than typical text book style, if that makes any sense. Currently we attend NO, and the focus is on our faith, more than on the order of Mass.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank you so much! Easy to read is what I needed to know. If you were to choose between a 1948 publication or 1954, which one would you choose?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'd go with the 1948, because it appears some things were left out of later versions.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Are there visual differences between the two? If so which is the most appealing?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 28 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
Paula,

Is Teacher's Manual how it was labeled in your search engine? Sounds so interesting.

I found it just by searching "Teacher's Manual Our Quest for Happiness"...well...I found it...I didn't say I found it available. While I can easily find the original books, I haven't found the Teacher's Manual available yet. I'll definitely post back here if I find them.

Erin wrote:
I'm seriously considering switching to Our Quest for Happiness for my ds15. He is finding the Didache style doesn't suit him, they are very wordy, lots of information and the words are often unfamiliar to him. I think the latter is the biggest problem.
What style of writing is the OQFH written in? Is it more basic, actually I'd be interested in knowing what style Bishop Morrow's writing is like too?

I asked my 9th grader what she thought of the writing style. She finds them to be very informative and easy to read. She said they aren't as engaging as a living book, like a novel by Louis de Wohl, but they aren't super dry either. She likes the concrete examples given and the illustrations.

Because I could find the older versions VERY inexpensively, I purchased 2 of the older (1945) books so that I could compare side by side the newer (1955) version.

Here is an example of the changes we've found between the two series. I'm quoting from the same sections, though the page numbers are off. I'm in Volume 1, Our Goal and Our Guides, in the section on Tradition.

This is the 1955 edition:
Quote:
What Tradition Is
In its wide sense, tradition embraces the entire teaching of the Catholic Church, including the Bible. In fact, someone has said that, "Tradition is the very life of the Church, animated and directed by the Holy Spirit." It is the living Church acting as a witness to Christ and the work of the Holy Ghost by her teaching, by her liturgy, by her entire life. Here we shall refer to tradition in its narrow and more common meaning. In this sense tradition means only those doctrines of faith or morals which were taught by Christ and originally handed down from the apostles, but not recorded in the inspired books of the Bible.

Here is the 1945 edition:
Quote:
What Tradition Is
In its wide sense, tradition embraces the entire teaching of the Catholic Church, including the Bible. Here we shall refer to tradition in its narrow and more common meaning. In this sense tradition means only those doctrines of faith or morals which were taught by Christ and originally handed down from the apostles by word of mouth.

The content seems to be clarified, or added to, in a few places. You'll have to decide which one you prefer.

Erin wrote:
Also I note it was written pre-Vatican 2, is this an issue? In particular if you don't attend the Latin Mass?

You'll need to be aware that there will be some content that will reflect pre-Vatican II liturgical norms and canon law, such as the topic of mixed marriages (marriages between Catholics and non-Catholics). Also, the section on The Liturgical Year, because it is based on the Old Calendar, would have terms more familiar to one participating in the Old/Extraordinary Rite, like the three week preparation before Lent, Septuagesima, Sexagesima, Quinquagesima, but this would be a lovely way to rediscover some of the depth of the richness of the Liturgical Year, and I don't find it to be contradictory to or a stumbling block if one attends the Novus Ordo. Ember days, for example, won't be on the new calendar, but there's no reason one cannot learn about and incorporate these beautiful seasonal days of penance through learning about them and reading of them. Also, you will need to recognize some differences in names of Feasts like The Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord on January 1 is now called Mary, Mother of God. So...will you notice some differences if you attend the Novus Ordo - yes. But, I find the presentation of them quite beautiful and informative, and think that the differences could be a rich learning experience. Only you know your comfort level there, so please just take my 2cents for what it is. I know you'll discern carefully for your family, Erin.

Erin wrote:
Are there visual differences between the two? If so which is the most appealing?

Yes and no. Every illustration from the 1945 version is present in the 1955 version as far as I can tell. However...the illustrations are quite crisp and much clearer in the 1945 version. Both my daughter and I noticed that immediately! There are MANY, MANY amazing illustrations throughout this book. I'd probably hunt it down just for the illustrations now that I've had time to look through it!!! They're stunning! I'd liken them to those wonderful illustrations which are so helpful in the newer St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechisms...do you know the ones I'm talking about? They illustrate with an image a truth of the faith. Well, these are similar, but on a high school level. Amazing and wonderful!!! In the 1945 edition you will find many b/w images, but these illustrations of a truth of the faith are in stunning color! Also, the 1945 edition contains color images of sacred artwork which pepper the book. An example of one of these would be The Trinity Adored by the Heavenly Choir by Tintoretto. Again, the 1955 version appears to have ALL of the illustrations, but where the 1945 edition contains some color, ALL of the 1955 edition illustrations are b/w. AND...I think the 1945 edition to have much crisper illustrations. This is important when looking at a very detailed illustration of a smallish size. Additionally, the 1945 edition is printed on a smooth-to-the-touch quality of paper; it is very pleasant. I mention that because I have a very tactile-sensitive guy, and this kinda thing would be important for him. The other book is printed on normal paper which is fine, but I thought I'd mention that difference as well.

Another comparison...the review questions at the end of each unit. The book is divided into 6 units, and from there several sections within each unit. Both the 1945 edition and the 1955 edition make use of the same review questions at the end of each unit! That's a big plus because that would mean that you could make use of the newer Teacher's Manual for help with answers (this TM is available used, and I've seen it at Adoremus Books, and of course it's available through OLV.) The differences...the 1955 edition contains a short review section after each section which the 1945 edtion does not contain. HOWEVER...the 1945 edition has so much extra at the end of each unit for review! This is part of what Jenn reviewed earlier in the thread...each unit review contains:

** A lengthy set of review questions which are QUITE meaty (both 1945/1955 versions contain identical review questions)
** Parallel readings in other high-school religion texts!! So important to me because I also use the Father Laux series in high school! His series as well as a few others are cross-referenced if something in that series runs parallel to the unit just covered. I can't help it - I find that to be extraordinarily helpful!!!!!
** Related reading in books and pamphlets. Another treasure of a resource.

To answer your question, Erin, after comparing the two (both Volumes I and Volume III), my overall preference is the 1945 edition of this series. However, if it were an issue of cost or means (maybe you could find the newer version locally, but not the older version), I absolutely find the 1955 version to be a FANTASTIC version and would snatch it up!

Sorry this got to be so lengthy! I've been piecing it together over the last couple of days and have quite enjoyed comparing the two versions! I want to make one final clarification...I refer to the 1945 edition and the 1955 edition. I'm pretty sure that there is a 1945, 1948, 1955, 1957 edition...and there may be more. The important thing to note would be that from 1955 onward is a revised edition. The changes I point out are changes consistent between the first edition and the revised edition. Hope the details aren't overwhelming!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
** A lengthy set of review questions which are QUITE meaty (both 1945/1955 versions contain identical review questions)
** Parallel readings in other high-school religion texts!! So important to me because I also use the Father Laux series in high school! His series as well as a few others are cross-referenced if something in that series runs parallel to the unit just covered. I can't help it - I find that to be extraordinarily helpful!!!!!
** Related reading in books and pamphlets. Another treasure of a resource.

I'm trying to type those up to share for everyone, as Paula shared the scans with me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote Erin

My copy has arrived!! Haven't had a long look yet as I wanted to share the news with you first

Oh I ended up buying a 1948 copy. Thank you very much to Jenn, Jen and Paula for your patience and hand-holding whilst I made the decision.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Erin, I'm happy for you! You'll have to let us know what yo think once you've really dug into the book.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well ds has said the Introduction was, "okay" so looking good    Now I'm sitting here with paper and pen breaking it all up into weeks etc. What do you so at the end of each Section where it says "Review of Section One"? Do you break the Review of Unit One questions up over the weeks? How much extra reading would you assign to a reluctant reader?(for this genre )

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version