Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Catholic World History Timeline & Guide Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm asking about Catholic World History Timeline and Guide by Marcia Neill

Love2Learn Review

Sample Pages

Previous conversations:

::looking for a catholic timeline book
::timelines
::Timeline foamboard presentation
::and Jen mentioned it in one of her top 10 must haves a few years ago.

A few questions. Anyone have this? Use it often? Is it a good resource?

Jen, how does it compare to The Timetables of History by Bernard Grun that you recommended?

Has anyone used it for Book of Centuries instead of a timeline? Does it work well?

Is it only Catholic events, or a Catholic worldview?

Thanks!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Jennifer, I can't really answer your questions, just that I think that it's too expensive. I've noticed that Emmanuel Books has come out with their own Catholic time line figures. Here's the link: History Worth Remembering.

I tried a timeline book with my third grader once, but it was too much for him. He's very good at memorizing, but he didn't like to make his own timeline book. I'm planning on trying to make a book of centuries again with my 5th grader and will involve my 7th grader.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Eva, thanks so much for posting that! I had no clue these were available - awesome!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2010 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Eva, thanks for the hint. The funny thing about Neil's book is that it used to be $100, so this price is much more reasonable!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 08 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jenn,
I like the Catholic World History Timeline. I do not use it for creating a timeline because I don't have a lot of wallspace...and I prefer using a Book of Centuries. I find it to be a good general timeline reference and I appreciate having a good source for Catholic/Church contributions. I find Grun's Timetables of History to be far more comprehensive, and I prefer the way it is laid out, but I fill in and check with the Catholic Timetables. I do like the figures in the back of this timeline. The book is half timeline, and half cardstock with images for the using on the timeline. There are 3 timelines in this book:

** World History timeline - Includes from Creation to present day. Pre-historical events are not given a date, but rather a biblical reference and are ordered according to their mention in the creation account. There are helpful CCC and Biblical cross-references throughout this World History timeline. Each character/event gets a date (notes are made when the date is disputed or not exactly known), a listing of the character/event, and a small blurb about the significance of the event and cross-references. A lot of information packed in here! I really like the way this timeline moves through Early History providing an over-arching sense of where God's chosen people were in history, and then you get a sense of what else is going on. For example, there are shaded categories like Creation, First Stage of Revelation - Adam, Second Stage of Revelation - Noah, End of Pre-History (dates begin to appear following this section), Third Stage of Revelation - Abraham, ... , The Rise of Israel, ... , Return to Jerusalem, ... , Christ's Public Ministry In Judea, ... Within these clearly noted sections are listed the events that take place. Not every event has to do directly with where God's chosen people are...so, within Fourth Stage of Revelation - Moses is of course, information on Moses, but you'll also find at 1500's BC the Indo-Aryans migrate into India. I hope I described that well. I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that this timeline, while conveying a full sense of historically significant events, conveys all from a Catholic perspective.
** US Presidents timeline - a really nice level of detail for use. Each blurb for each president is well laid out making information easy to find at a glance and contains: *party affiliation *Native state *Term of service *years of birth and death *blurb of significant contributions *religious affiliation *wife & children *vice president
** Papal History timeline - comprehensive and a very nice timeline! Her source is The Lives and Times of the Popes by Chevalier Artaud De Montor, Vatican Edition. I really like this timeline. Anti-popes (false claimant of the Holy See) are included but clearly noted.

I use it alongside my favorite timeline book, Grun's Timetables of History.

My cons:
** I think the book is extremely expensive and probably prohibitively so for many families on a tight budget. It's clear from the amount of information collected that Marcia Neill has done a lot of research providing numerous cross-references to the CCC and Bible, and I find those so helpful that they certainly do merit a worthy price tag, but I wish the book were able to be split up so that it might be more affordable for families. I wish the make-a-timeline portion could be purchased separately from the 3 very useful and helpful timelines in the book.

** Because the book is set up to be used to make-a-wall-timeline it isn't as intuitively laid out as I would like if you're just using it as a reference. For example, if the book is open in front of you, every left facing page contains the information needed to build the wall timeline for the events on the timeline page which is on the right. So, only every right facing page is a timeline reference page.

** There are no dividers to easily reach different sections of the book. I remedied this by using Post-it note tabs to break up the book and note the different timelines.

In general
The book is a great collection of significant events and approaches history from a Catholic perspective which I truly appreciated. The cardstock images in the back were a huge help when studying ancient history since we incorporated a lot of Covenant History with our studies and it's hard to find an image of Abraham for a timeline. There are images of every single pope and every president as well. I will say that some of the picture images aren't terribly crisp. They're fine for us, but if crisp images are important to you, please note this. Another helpful feature is that in this timeline, if an event listed has an image in the back of the book that is clearly noted on the timeline.

pmeilaen wrote:
I've noticed that Emmanuel Books has come out with their own Catholic time line figures. Here's the link: History Worth Remembering.

These look great! I've never seen them before!

I'll answer other questions about the timeline figures we use on your other thread.

Hope this helps, Jenn. Fire away with more questions if you're looking for more specifics!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

You're very welcome, everybody!

I just wanted to add one more link for a cheap BOC: The Tanglewood Curriculum has a version you print out for just $2.50! Here's the link: The Tanglewood Book of Centuries.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version