Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: time lines Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2009 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

My oldest is going to be studying American History this year and I will be having him make an ongoing time line throughout the year. I know many of you have done this. I'm wondering what is the best way to keep it neat and organized? Should I just have him make a line through the middle of a white sheet of paper with years along the top and descriptions of events underneath? Are there any nice forms out there I could buy/download? How about anything you know of on wordprocessing/spreadsheet software?

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jackie,

I have had success with two different types of time lines:

Catholic World History Timeline and Guide

History Through the Ages: Record of Time

I actually prefer a timeline on the wall so I can see "everthing" at a glance.

However, the timeline book/book of centuries is more practical for us, now, as wall space is at a premium. Neither one of the above options is cheap, but the Catholic World History Timeline is completely worth the money. I saved and saved for it (about five years ago) and after prepping and getting it mounted, wow, was it terrific to have such a great visual to connect all our learning through history.

There are tons of free downloadables out there. I remember that Ambleside Online had a lot of free downloads for a Book of Centuries. Most people just print out the forms on card stock and collect them in a huge three-ring binder for ease of use.

And if you search this board you will find a lot of information...here's a a good one.

Good Luck!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Simply Charlotte Mason has a free Book of Centuries for download.

Tanglewood also has a Book of Centuries for a small fee for download I think.

Last year I finally caved and bought the Timeline Notebook from Homeschool in the Woods. I love them and so do the kids. We like the notebook, the heavy cardstock, the fact that it's all printed already, and the lined paper for young writers. The notebook is a 2 ring binder, so the kids can write something or draw a map and insert it in the binder. We also tucked the children's other timelines in the front of the notebook which we had previously made on fanfold computer paper. The seams at the fanfold were starting to separate which is why I decided to purchase the Timeline Notebooks. These are investment books that follow the individual child through all of the school years.

If you make your own print on cardstock!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

We do a wall chart and all the kids use it and see. Youcan take a peak at it here.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jackie~
I remember you posted about this a week or so ago, and I JUST decided what we're going to do this year. My oldest 2 are ages 8 and 7, and I just printed out this timeline from Guest Hollow.com for the beginning of a "family-timeline".

We have NO wallspace, so that eliminates THAT question. But, I put it in a nice 3 ring binder.   We'll enter things all together in that binder and then in a few years when they are older (maybe 11 or 12??? I don't know...) they'll get their own. They also keep their History Notebook pages/narrations/copywork, etc....in their own general/yearly notebook. Eventually they'll add those pages to their own Book of Centuries....but for now, they'll keep them separate from the Family BOC.

A couple other links that I found lately that were helpful:
Higher Up and Further In and Timelines for Homeschool
Not nec timelines, but I love this website and her concept: Heritage History. She was at our Homeschool Conference in May.

Check the archives too....there are a few threads with people weighing in about timelines/Book of Centuries, etc.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

From Ambleside: Article from The Parents' Review on Book of Centuries

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2009 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Thanks to all of you! I have a good idea of what I'm going to do!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version