Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

kristinannie wrote:
I just finally got out my binding machine from Lakeshore Learning.

Oh, I'm so excited for you! Hope this tool is as useful for your home ed needs as it has been in our home!

Could you give me the name of your binding machine though? Your link just goes to the Lakeshore home page, and I'd love to see what you ordered! Maybe if you just give me a name I can search on it.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

Great, thank you!!

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I don't know if this will work. It is their Heavy Duty Bookbinding Machine. It is $99.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

So our first day is today and I'm very excited to use our brand new Proclick notebooks!!

The boys are totally excited to begin... and they *love* their books with the color covers that they picked! I'm excited because I was able to compile so many of our resources in just one or two notebooks!

All my FLL downloads, Building Thinking Skills, my spelling pages, my Saxon math worksheets (for my oldest), etc.!! Then we each have a history binder filled with stories from The Baldwin Project, things I wrote, select SOTW chapters (that I downloaded!)...

And then we just need our good books!

It's just so great to simplify!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Maryan wrote:
So our first day is today and I'm very excited to use our brand new Proclick notebooks!!

The boys are totally excited to begin... and they *love* their books with the color covers that they picked! I'm excited because I was able to compile so many of our resources in just one or two notebooks!

All my FLL downloads, Building Thinking Skills, my spelling pages, my Saxon math worksheets (for my oldest), etc.!! Then we each have a history binder filled with stories from The Baldwin Project, things I wrote, select SOTW chapters (that I downloaded!)...

And then we just need our good books!

It's just so great to simplify!

I'm so jealous!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2011 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

I am having a great time with the ProClick as well. A free download from IEW, A guide to Shakespeare from CHC, a weather work book for my aspiring meteorologist! I love it!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this thread. I would love to hear feedback on your pro click books now that you have used them for awhile. Do they hold up? Did you use mostly 3:1 coil binding?

I'm also wondering about clear covers. These are sold separately. Does that mean the binder doesn't punch cover very well? Did you buy the premised covers?

What size binding do you use the most?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Jennifer,

I'll see if I can finish this response this time. Last time something went wonky.

I am still using my Proclick binding system and am still very happy with it. I am currently using a Proclick book based on the Citizenship in the Nation MB, one based on the Citizenship in the Community MB, one as Winter notebook, one as a Year notebook, and my second homemade Proclick planner. I do not use them for all subjects, but they come in useful for specific studies. Oh, and I did make my own TM from a book that contained both student and teacher pages. It was a good idea, but my son couldn't keep up with the pace of the program so I am not using that one currently.

I do use the clear covers on occasion, but only when the book gets a lot of use (like my planner) or needs to be protected (like the Insect Study one that I had to take out in the field)). I have not used the 3:1 coil binding, but I may in the future.

FWIW...

In Christ,
Deborah

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I made notebooks for my small monthly boys club. I went cheap on the covers because I knew it wouldn't get tremendous use and I simply used the clear plastic sheets (like overhead projector types). It punched through them fine. I did buy the specially made back covers because those were sturdier than just the card stock I thought about purchasing.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

ETA: I used Proclick.

Love it. The only tedious part is punching all the holes in the paper, but our notebooks have been the reason we are doing well this year despite all of my appointments.

We have two books: one is a Big book of everything (Language, writing papers, math worksheets, spelling pages, poetry memorization, etc.). The other is our "sir" book which is our map work, narration pages,coloring pages,and reading assignments and projects for our medieval studies. (I didn't do a BOC this year because of our high level of activity. It would have been nice for John Paul, but had to draw a line somewhere). So this book serves as their BOC of sorts.

I made five for the year for each kid. They were used and abused daily and held up great! I used the plastic covers and punched the holes through them myself with no trouble. The *only* time there is trouble punching is if you don't realize that the well is full of punched holes and it doesn't go all the way through. FYI.

ETA: I also was able to open them and add pages I might have forgotten.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I did pull the trigger and should be binding by the weekend.

This was a tough decision -- use the money for a Kindle or laminator and binder?

Kindle can wait.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

For all our hs copywork or e-book manuals/books I've used the proclick binder. I'm very pleased with it. I do like to put a sturdy cardstock scrapbooking page as a cover and then a Fellowes frosted cover with the Fellowes black grain covers as a backing. Overkill, maybe, but my kids pull these in and out of the filing cabinet everyday and they get such wear through the year that I thought it useful. Also, my thoughts are to take the Fellowes covers of at the end of the year and re-use them. The machine punches great through these. Yes, like others have mentioned you do tediously have to go through the process of punching your pages a few at a time.

I'm not much help on the spine sizes because I've used all three I'll add that I've enjoyed this much better than our at store spiral bounds. The spines stay in place and I'm not constantly winding them back. The books I would have bound came with the clear unfrosted covers and I always felt they clung to the first page that's why I chose the frosted thicker kind.

So far they are holding up great, even my first graders copy book and my 5yo math manual still look very nice. And believe me those are the two that get the most tear from little boys .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I did pull the trigger and should be binding by the weekend.

This was a tough decision -- use the money for a Kindle or laminator and binder?

Kindle can wait.

Sorry, Jenn I was typing my reponse while you posted your choice. But I laughed at your decision because last year this was my choice binding machines or Kindle. I went with the machines and this year my dh surprised me with the Kindle Fire for Valentines. Lamintor and new sewing machine are on my wish list now. Might have to wait another year .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm late to your thread, Jenn....but I'm because as I post we have nearly 12,000 views on this thread alone!!!!!

JennGM wrote:
I would love to hear feedback on your pro click books now that you have used them for awhile. Do they hold up?

I just can't say enough about our Proclick! I use ours all the time and I could not be more pleased with the binding, and ESPECIALLY the fact that I can "unzip" and rebind. I've been adding to my son's WWII notebook for over a year now, every couple of weeks we unzip, add more images, and rebind. It still clicks together like a champ! I am so pleased with this binding machine and the durability of it!

JennGM wrote:
Did you use mostly 3:1 coil binding?

It uses ONLY 3:1 pitch coil binding. If there was one drawback, this would be it. Most binding machines use a 2:1 pitch, which makes their coils a bit easier to find. But, in the scheme of things, this isn't a HUGE deal. MyBinding.com offers FANTASTIC customer service and offers every size imaginable of the 3:1 pitch coils. So, it isn't a huge drawback. And, one of the things I discovered last year is that I can get larger (non-Proclick brand...meaning they don't open and close) coils for binding larger books like our Math mammoth books we print.    I know I posted pics of that - on p. 4 of this thread. So, the fact that I can get a coil in any size I need for the Proclick, in almost any color I want, through mybinding is a plus! (And....watch for sales on Proclick binding coils - every now and then mybinding offers a sale on a particular color. I think navy was on sale over the summer at a VERY reduced price!)

JennGM wrote:
I'm also wondering about clear covers. These are sold separately. Does that mean the binder doesn't punch cover very well? Did you buy the premised covers?

I've done both - bought prepunched and punched my own. Both work fine. The prepunched has a square punch, which is a minor annoyance for me. The holes of the Proclick are round. It fits fine over a Proclick book though. Transparency sheets make good proclick book covers once you punch them. Go for a thicker mil plastic the more durable and rigid you'd like your cover to be. I don't put a cover on everything - some things just get a piece of cardstock for a cover, but the clear cover will help protect the book.

JennGM wrote:
What size binding do you use the most?

1/2 inch

And, I'm down to my last 2. Which means it's time to order more!

I have never, ever regretted this as one of my bigger purchases in the home school room. Since we don't buy big expensive curriculum packages, I'm not used to spending $$ big bucks on home ed purchases....so I kept this purchase on the back burner for almost 2 years debating its usefulness and considering how I'd use it. I've been so glad I got it! I use it for absolutely everything! A bound book can look quite professional if you want it to, or it can be really simple. Your choice! And one of the biggest pluses of the Proclick for me was one of its original selling features - a book can be unbound and added to and then rebound. I had serious doubts that with the kind of action we would give a coiled book that the binding would last as well as it has, but I've been very pleasantly proven wrong!

Happy binding, Jenn!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the detailed answer. Only one thing I want to say:

Mackfam wrote:

JennGM wrote:
Did you use mostly 3:1 coil binding?

It uses ONLY 3:1 pitch coil binding. If there was one drawback, this would be it. Most binding machines use a 2:1 pitch, which makes their coils a bit easier to find. But, in the scheme of things, this isn't a HUGE deal. MyBinding.com offers FANTASTIC customer service and offers every size imaginable of the 3:1 pitch coils. So, it isn't a huge drawback. And, one of the things I discovered last year is that I can get larger (non-Proclick brand...meaning they don't open and close) coils for binding larger books like our Math mammoth books we print.    I know I posted pics of that - on p. 4 of this thread. So, the fact that I can get a coil in any size I need for the Proclick, in almost any color I want, through mybinding is a plus! (And....watch for sales on Proclick binding coils - every now and then mybinding offers a sale on a particular color. I think navy was on sale over the summer at a VERY reduced price!)

My question should have been, did you use the regular pro-click binding, or found that you had to use the 3:1 coil more often?

I can see with handwriting and nature study that a book that pages can be added without problem is going to be a huge help.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Mackfam wrote:
I'm late to your thread, Jenn....but I'm because as I post we have nearly 12,000 views on this thread alone!!!!!

Great thread!! I was one of the nearly 12,000

Sorry I haven't been around in a LOOONG time but it is great to hear from you gals.

Now I'm off to read the Leap Day thread.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
did you use the regular pro-click binding, or found that you had to use the 3:1 coil more often?

I like having both. I use the Proclick brand more. I prefer the option to bind, unzip, add, and re-bind. But, if you try to put too many pages in a 1/2 inch coil it won't turn smoothly and that gets very frustrating, so it is nice to have the larger coils. I have a 1 inch, 3:1 pitch coil, but when I re-order 1/2 inch Proclick coils, I'm thinking of ordering some 3/4 inch coils (non-Proclick brand) as well.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Helen wrote:
Sorry I haven't been around in a LOOONG time but it is great to hear from you gals.

Helen!!!!

It is so wonderful to see you here!! Anywhere you pop up is a treat!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:
did you use the regular pro-click binding, or found that you had to use the 3:1 coil more often?

I like having both. I use the Proclick brand more. I prefer the option to bind, unzip, add, and re-bind. But, if you try to put too many pages in a 1/2 inch coil it won't turn smoothly and that gets very frustrating, so it is nice to have the larger coils. I have a 1 inch, 3:1 pitch coil, but when I re-order 1/2 inch Proclick coils, I'm thinking of ordering some 3/4 inch coils (non-Proclick brand) as well.

When you have a moment, would you mind just making a list of the bindings you use or have on hand, and the non-Proclick you're eyeing? I know I keep asking for lists of late, but it helps me think through these things!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Helen wrote:

Helen!!!!

It is so wonderful to see you here!! Anywhere you pop up is a treat!

Ditto here, Helen! I had a dream the other night I was near you and visiting.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version