Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:
did you use the regular pro-click binding, or found that you had to use the 3:1 coil more often?

I like having both. I use the Proclick brand more. I prefer the option to bind, unzip, add, and re-bind. But, if you try to put too many pages in a 1/2 inch coil it won't turn smoothly and that gets very frustrating, so it is nice to have the larger coils. I have a 1 inch, 3:1 pitch coil, but when I re-order 1/2 inch Proclick coils, I'm thinking of ordering some 3/4 inch coils (non-Proclick brand) as well.

When you have a moment, would you mind just making a list of the bindings you use or have on hand, and the non-Proclick you're eyeing? I know I keep asking for lists of late, but it helps me think through these things!

Sure! I'm sitting here with my bin of the coils right now.

Most often used by us:
1/2 inch Proclick coils - full size (which means that they are about 10 1/4 inch long...long enough to bind a regular piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper). This may not be the best size for everyone, but it is for us. We regularly make books, print materials and bind and this allows for between 80 - 90 sheets....100 if I push it, but only if I'm using a thinner weight paper than I usually use (I usually use 24 lb paper).

Used sometimes:
5/16 inch Proclick coils - again full size. (DO NOT waste money buying half size coils....you can very easily trim a regular coil with a pair of wire cutters or heavy duty scissors if you want to make a smaller booklet, or bind on the short edge of the paper. We don't use this size as often as the Proclick, but these do see enough use here that I'm glad I have them. These hold about 50 sheets for me. They work well for little books I make for my daughter (4yo) with tracing pages, connect the dot, etc.

Used for larger books:
25 mm 3:1 inch non-Proclick coils - 1 inch coil - I like having these around - they're truly useful! They bind a true 1 inch worth of paper very nicely. They can't be unzipped, but you *could* unwind the coil, add paper, and then add a new coil. You just wouldn't be able to reuse your original coil. BUT...you have to order a minimum of 100 of these, so you'd have plenty extra. It IS helpful if you can find someone to split an order with. You will need to cut and crimp these coils so that they fit and stay on your book. I have the oval hole spiral crimpers recommended for this pitch coil, so I can't tell you if something else could be substituted and work. You could definitely use scissors to cut the coil, but not sure about crimping? Maybe just a pair of pliers, grabbing the end and gently creasing the coil upward? Anyone done this?

Thinking of a purchase of....
Either 16 mm or 18 mm coil. I truly do wish Proclick made a bigger coil than the 1/2 inch...I even called and asked them if they would....         . Alas, no. It isn't in the cards. The Proclick is really for home binders and the market for that is small, so the coil sizes currently offered are all they're planning on making. I'd like something between the 25 mm (1 inch larger coil) and the 1/2 inch Proclick.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

As of right now, Navy 5/8 inch Proclick coils, box of 100 (!!!) are on sale for $9.95 at mybinding. That's a fantastic sale! And a very useful size!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Amazing sale and they have the zipper tool (which is totally lost here for only $3) Thanks!!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 01 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

KackyK wrote:
Amazing sale and they have the zipper tool (which is totally lost here for only $3) Thanks!!!!!

You're welcome, Kacky! That's the sale they had going on this summer...and I regretted not taking advantage of it then. The size is perfect (at just slightly bigger than the 1/2 inch coil - it's the biggest coil size Proclick makes) and the price is unbeatable for 100 coils. So, that's what I ended up ordering!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 12 2012 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just came back to say I bound my first book with Proclick and am very, very pleased! Now I'm just trying to think of excuses of other things to bind.

Does anyone create a booklet that you keep adding to it? Or does opening and closing too many times wear out the binding?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 12 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Does anyone create a booklet that you keep adding to it? Or does opening and closing too many times wear out the binding?

Do this frequently with many of our books, but most frequently with my son's WWII book. He adds to it regularly, and the binding hasn't quit clicking yet.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Today, I find myself here because I printed out some ready made cursive copybooks for my boys, and when I do my own copy pages, I orient horizontally so that the binder is not in the way of writing, especially for my lefty. Of course, these are oriented traditionally, and I would really like to bind them at the top.

My dh has access to a binding machine at work, and I'm thinking of having him do it. I'm not sure exactly what kind of machine it is or what the pitch is, but when I was exploring options at MyBinding.com, I saw that not only are 3:1 coils compatible with Pro-Click punched books, but I also noticed that Pro-Click Binder Spines are compatible with 3:1 pitched TWIN LOOP WIRE binding machines.

The most basic one they link to on their site is $49.95, which is a good bit cheaper than the Pro-Click machine and looks to punch the same amount of paper (6 pages of 20lb).

So, I guess I'm just confirming my finding with the gurus--can you buy the Papermonster for $49.95 and just use it with the rest of the Pro-Click system and supplies? The $35 price difference is not insignificant!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Does anyone know if you can spiral bind pages that were previously 3-hole punched? I have something in a binder (a very large book) and the pages tear easily since it is in a binder. I hoped I could have it put in a spiral to make it last longer.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 27 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

LLMom wrote:
Does anyone know if you can spiral bind pages that were previously 3-hole punched? I have something in a binder (a very large book) and the pages tear easily since it is in a binder. I hoped I could have it put in a spiral to make it last longer.

Yes you can. Obviously, you'll have extra holes from the 3-hole-punch, but it doesn't affect the paper being punchable and it still binds nicely. I've done it several times.

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2013 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote greengables

Hi all,

I have been one of the 12,000 visitors to this site on several different occasions and I am finally ready to make this purchase!

SO is thisthis the correct pro click binding machine??? You see, it kind of looks like my paper cutter so I am a little confused. It looks too small to bind those beautiful books! I am so ready to start binding..... so please give me all the info I need in a nutshell. I can't stand the thought of making a costly mistake in a purchase!

Thanks so much!

Jill (greengables)

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote greengables

Oh, wow!

I see that it is now over 23,000 that have viewed this topic!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 16 2013 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

greengables wrote:
SO is thisthis the correct pro click binding machine???

Hi Jill!

Yes, that's the Proclick P50. It does look a little like a paper cutter in shape, but it does punch holes. It can only take 6 pages at a time...less if you're using card stock.

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote greengables

Oh, thank you for the confirmation!

Now is there a book binding machine (gadget...thingy...) that can take more than 6 pages at a time that you would recommend or is this the "recommended" one ...OR....has another one popped into the market that you are aware of? (I did finally read through ALL the posts in this topic and so I am aware of the OTHER ones mentioned here.) Are you still happy with your Proclick?

You see, I happened to call my local Office Depot and they have a Proclick for about $53 so I am considering running over there to get it as it is in the budget right now and I have 4 books waiting for me!

Thanks again for your quick reply!

God bless,

Jill

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

stellamaris wrote:
How do you label these spiral bound books so they can be easily identified on the shelf? They all look the same from the side. I find myself pulling out several before I actually get the one I want. I tried little tie-on tags (kind of like gift tags), but they tended to get pulled off. So, do you use tags of some kind or what?   

I have just been thinking about this over the past several days. Hmm. We have handwriting books, Virtues in Practice Books, various e-books from SCM. I'm trying to find an easy way to be able to tell them apart when they are on the shelf.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 16 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

jawgee wrote:
stellamaris wrote:
How do you label these spiral bound books so they can be easily identified on the shelf? They all look the same from the side. I find myself pulling out several before I actually get the one I want. I tried little tie-on tags (kind of like gift tags), but they tended to get pulled off. So, do you use tags of some kind or what?   

I have just been thinking about this over the past several days. Hmm. We have handwriting books, Virtues in Practice Books, various e-books from SCM. I'm trying to find an easy way to be able to tell them apart when they are on the shelf.

For this, I've been using a dot of different color finger nail polish on the top ring of frequently used books. It's not an ideal solution, but it does help me tell them apart.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 16 2013 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

greengables wrote:
Oh, thank you for the confirmation!

Now is there a book binding machine (gadget...thingy...) that can take more than 6 pages at a time that you would recommend or is this the "recommended" one ...OR....has another one popped into the market that you are aware of?

I think MicheleQ may have mentioned a commercial one that punches more paper at a time....in an earlier post in this thread. I don't know of anything else though. And honestly, though this only does 6 pages at a time, it goes quickly. I can punch and bind a large book in just a few minutes. For home needs, I can't really justify a more expensive binder. I do use mine - all the time, in fact! The Proclick fits my needs really well!

greengables wrote:
Are you still happy with your Proclick?

Very! If something happened to mine, I'd replace it the next day. That's how much I use it! It is extremely useful to me! In fact, I've been printing ebooks and have a stack waiting to be bound, too!

greengables wrote:
You see, I happened to call my local Office Depot and they have a Proclick for about $53 so I am considering running over there to get it as it is in the budget right now and I have 4 books waiting for me!

If this is something that you've decided would be a wise purchase for you/your family, I'd move fast. That's an extraordinary price, and I'd jump on it.

If you're still not sure, Jill, and want me to bring mine to Mass let me know and you can see a demo of it in action! That might give you more of a sense of whether or not this would be a good tool for your family needs. Or if you want me to bring a sampling of some of my bound books so you can see them I can do that, too.

Hope this helps!

Edited to say......obviously I didn't mean I'd bring it to Mass...just to church! And I can show you AFTER MASS! I re-read my post and it sounded like I would brandish the Proclick in the middle of Mass and start punching everything in sight! Which, although hilarious to imagine, is NOT what I meant! Phew! Maybe next time I should read what I post before I hit POST!!!

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Mackfam wrote:
jawgee wrote:
stellamaris wrote:

For this, I've been using a dot of different color finger nail polish on the top ring of frequently used books. It's not an ideal solution, but it does help me tell them apart.

That was my exact thought this afternoon. OK, great, glad it's working for you.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

greengables
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote greengables

Correction on Office Depot price for Proclick.... Our local Office Depot has them for $54.99(Originally I said $53). I truly believe that $54.99 is their REGULAR price so if I had been smart and patient, I would have waited for the coupon that we often get in the mail.

However, I do not regret my purchase. I came home with my new Proclick (and other items as well!) and bound my first book!    An office supply store appears to be a near occasion of sin for me and I will have to pray very hard before I enter another one!

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 30 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

I've been eyeing the ProClick binding machine for years, and I was thinking this would be my year to get one. But now it has a 1-2 month expected ship date at Amazon, and it is out of stock and backordered at Office Depot and mybinding.com.   

I found it listed at a couple of sites I've never heard of before, but I'm a little leery to order from them. Is anyone else ProClick shopping this summer?

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2014 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I got mine on Ebay from a highly rated seller. Perhaps you can find one there.

In Christ,

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version