Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: At Home Book Binding - Spiral & Otherwise Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 06 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding a little more about the Proclick which extends its usefulness a great deal for me!!

I called the very helpful people at MyBinding and asked them about larger diameter spirals for thicker books. Proclick doesn't make any (the largest diameter coil for Proclick is the 5/8" which comfortably holds between 100-120 depending on paper weight), BUT any 3:1 pitch coil will fit the holes punched by the Proclick!!!!! How exciting!!!

I ordered the 25mm (1 inch) 3:1 pitch coils and LOOK:

It works GREAT! Now I can bind a larger book easily! I also ordered some prepunched covers which provide a little more rigidity to the larger book and give it an overall more finished look. The crimping pliers are useful because the spiral length will need to be trimmed and the pliers create a "throw" so that the spiral doesn't come out as easily.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Hmm... now that's making me think of ProClick more. Thanks for sharing Jen!   
Off subject: Did you print the cover to that Math Mammoth book on a colored laser? Or an ink jet? (I'm a laser girl, and always wonder if a colored laser would be a good investment).

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maryan,
That Math Mammoth book is printed on my WOEFUL HP Inkjet. It looks nice because what you're seeing is the nice high gloss cover I added. Helps, doesn't it?!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
KackyK wrote:
I see that pro click can be opened and added to, correct? Can you reuse the bindings okay? My whole purpose is to make workbooks for the kids and then when they are through I'd want to just trash their work but save the binding.

Can the Zutter do that? As I'm clicking through these links, the pro click looks obviously more office purposes whereas the Zutter is for crafts. I'll still go play ay my moms though

This was one of those on my why not to get it list. I spent a year binding at Staples and in the end decided this was a feature that won't affect my purpose (for the sake of aesthetics )

It's great you can play with it

Jenny, I'm having problems commenting on your blog, too.

So the Zutter can't be removed easily? and definitely can't be reused?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jen, Fabulous pictures, and so helpful!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I love my Zutter bind it tool. I like the look it gives my teacher manuals and such and I'm already working on some nature study cards project. ... don't regret the purchase at all. I've got plenty of ideas and I do like my manuals to look so pretty.

But for my younger students I still liked the plastic spiral look/feel. So seeing as I spent my mother's day gift on the tool, I've been waiting on an Ebay deal. Over a week ago I was the only bidder to a brand new proclick with 13 spines for $30. I couldn't pass up. I bought some frost covers and leather feel covers at amazon for their books. Thanks for the pictures Jen, can't wait to try it. The FedEx man just dropped it off

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
Jenny, I'm having problems commenting on your blog, too.

So the Zutter can't be removed easily? and definitely can't be reused?

I just cross posted with you.

No, it can't. The spines are wires so once you put them in, I'd think it would ruin the look of the project.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
The FedEx man just dropped it off

Oh how exciting, Jenny!!!!!!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Mackfam wrote:
Maryan,
That Math Mammoth book is printed on my WOEFUL HP Inkjet. It looks nice because what you're seeing is the nice high gloss cover I added. Helps, doesn't it?!

Makes it look awesome!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

How do you label these spiral bound books so they can be easily identified on the shelf? They all look the same from the side. I find myself pulling out several before I actually get the one I want. I tried little tie-on tags (kind of like gift tags), but they tended to get pulled off. So, do you use tags of some kind or what?   

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 08 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stellamaris wrote:
How do you label these spiral bound books so they can be easily identified on the shelf? They all look the same from the side. I find myself pulling out several before I actually get the one I want. I tried little tie-on tags (kind of like gift tags), but they tended to get pulled off. So, do you use tags of some kind or what?   

I haven't found a way to label them so far. I'm still working on it though!!!

Having said that, I do keep my books organized by subject matter, and sometimes subdivided further within that (like for example science has its own shelves, but I have subdivided books by branch of science within that), so it helps knowing generally what I have and what goes where. Keeping the shelves labeled helps with this, too. From there, I can remember that I printed an ebook resource on "x" and I know it's a spiral bound book.

Not all books that I bind go on a shelf though. The books I bind for the kids, like the one pictured above, go in their baskets so the books face forward most of the time which makes them easy to identify regardless of the type of spine they have.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Didn't Levenger make tags to go on the outside of spiral books at one time? I can't find them now, though. So maybe I imagined it.

I just ordered the Proclick, and am awaiting it in eager anticipation.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
Didn't Levenger make tags to go on the outside of spiral books at one time? I can't find them now, though. So maybe I imagined it.

I thought I remembered that, too, from an older Levenger catalog...but couldn't find it either. ??? But, they would be EXACTLY the ones to come up with something for this! Maybe I need to dig some more on their website tonight.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

some ideas here in an older thread

or you can try these

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
some ideas here in an older thread

or you can try these

Same links, Stef.

But it looks interesting. How do I mark the spine? It doesn't mention that.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 08 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It looks like you could just put a label on the spine once you cover it...or use a sharpie.

And...I think this is the thread Stef was linking to....

Labeling Spiral Bound books

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I just finally got out my binding machine from Lakeshore Learning. It has been sitting in my school room in the box for a couple of months (I used a 30% off coupon to buy it). I was so intimidated by it, but the manual was a couple of pages long and it was so simple to use! I just bound the Iditarod books we made today in our Alaska unit study. I just wanted to recommend this product if anyone is still looking for a binding machine. It is heavy duty and looks like it will last for years. It is simple to use and easy to add or take out pages whenever you want.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

Mackfam wrote:
It works GREAT! Now I can bind a larger book easily!

Is it very difficult to manually spin the coil binding through the holes onto the book?

We are using Math Mammoth this year, too, and I was trying to figure out how I could use it without printing off a page everyday...

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Ladies,

I have been on Amazon ALL DAY!!!!!!!!! and found that the ProClick is on sale for $57.75!!!!
Here is the link

Anyone who was on the fence, I think this is a great price!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 04 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

*Lindsey* wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
It works GREAT! Now I can bind a larger book easily!

Is it very difficult to manually spin the coil binding through the holes onto the book?

We are using Math Mammoth this year, too, and I was trying to figure out how I could use it without printing off a page everyday...

Not difficult at all, Lindsey! I got my Math Mammoth book punched and together and sat it so that the hole-punched edge sort of hung off the edge of my desk a bit...just right in front of me. Then I just started the spirals going round...and kept gently twisting and rolling the spirals into the book. It twists into the punched holes very easily...I'd say 60 seconds or less without any frustration on my part. Hope that helps!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version