Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Simplicity Parenting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

I'm in. Should we take a chapter each to ask questions about? Or discuss the points in the "stretchy oval" things?

Pam

Just finished today and so glad to have company as I try to go through slowly and make changes for my children and myself. Going to try to apply a few things to me, too.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

What would everyone prefer?
I like a chapter at a time- maybe one every week or two-, but I am flexible.
I think we should have the discussion over in the book club forum...?

I just finished Chapter 2 and got through the toy purge of Chapter 3.
I have A LOT of questions

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I am so in on this. We have moved three times in the past five years and I keep telling myself I will go through all this stuff when we get settled. Thanks!

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Sarah M wrote:
it's really on my heart and mind these days. I think I need to get my hands on that book- that's the third time I've heard it mentioned in the last 24 hours!

Anything that comes in 3's is worth looking into.

Must be a Holy Spirit thing...

I was reading your blog and was very inspired by your de-cluttering efforts and household projects! Send some of your motivation this way, please Sarah.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Maggie wrote:
I was reading your blog and was very inspired by your de-cluttering efforts and household projects! Send some of your motivation this way, please Sarah.

My motivation comes in the form of my husband's voice: "Hi Sweetie. I'm sorry that I'm 2600 miles away for 6 months, but can you please get the household ready to move across the state and the house cleaned up and ready to rent in the next couple of months?"

I don't make any claims to keeping my sanity in the process.

As for the book study...

I like the idea of doing a chapter every week or two.
But I'm flexible- whatever everyone else wants works for me!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I'm hating to jump the gun here, but last night I read the part about why you so often find dismantled or naked Barbies around your house (ie, headless Barbie, legless Barbie, etc). I laughed but: OH MY GOODNESS. This book makes so much sense!

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

stellamaris wrote:

Or perhaps it is "lust of the eyes"..wanting things we see that we think will benefit our children, like books, toys, etc.

This seems it for me. There are sooooooooooooooooo many choices that I find it hard to decipher what is the BEST so I choose a LOT. We're prob. on the moderate end with regards to toys but school stuff...well, I have def. feasted since I'm so new. For me, it's still the mind set of "I don't want them to miss out". It's just really hard to discern how to find that balance.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I'm in..sorry I couldn't post sooner. I like the idea of doing a chapter every week or so. However, I'm sure it will take me a lot more than a week a chapter to go through this process.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

Oh, wow. I am SO in on this! I had read Sarah's post (Thank YOU!!), and loved it.

We were in house construction for 7 years (added on a new kitchen, extended master bedroom, added on two more bathrooms-oh, old kitchen became new homeschool room!). My wonderful husband, who is a saver, wanted to do all the construction CASH, hence the 7 years. Well, it is nearly done..just missing some baseboards and painting!

Anyways, through all the tears and the mess, I became very simplified and threw out tons of "stuff". Funny thing is, no one misses it. Extra and unneeded clothes, shoes, and toys. Since the girls just play with their Little Pet Shops and plastic animals, everything else went to the big round, um, "filing cabinet", that gets picked up every Wednesday. Also, of course big bags went to charity.

Also, the big realization came when my mom died. She was a "collector", and when I walked into her little house after she had passed, I thought, "wow...you CAN'T take it with you". It was an eye opener. So, I really purged after that, and since we were going through the construction, I was purging even more.

It felt very, very freeing. Less housework, less stuff to keep track of, and less squabbling. We even got rid of cable, so now we just watch DVDs, which the children have to earn the "right" to!!

I am always on the lookout for ways to pare down. Don't get me wrong, I still have grocery clutter and homeschooling clutter (papers galore! I am a paper nut).

This would be a wonderful post to follow in the future. Thank you mommies for posting this!
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

I've been doing this here. The guys at Goodwill know my husband by name . It's a wonderful feeling. It's so much harder to get messy and so much easier to keep up with. I'm going to try to get this book for additional inspiration and do the study, too. That sounds great!

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I may join in too. I like a chapter a week or so format. We could do a thread for each so folks could go at their own pace and find the right spot easily (with Mod permission of course.)

If you are like me and reluctant to bring another book/clutter into the home even for the sake of simplicity, you can download Kindle for the computer from amazon for free and order the online version (~$15 I believe).

Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

SeaStar wrote:
I'm hating to jump the gun here, but last night I read the part about why you so often find dismantled or naked Barbies around your house (ie, headless Barbie, legless Barbie, etc). I laughed but: OH MY GOODNESS. This book makes so much sense!

Okay, so now I am sold! I was on the fence, thinking we live pretty simply and I don't need another book that I won't put into action. But the naked,headless Barbies.... I won't say more.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I wanted to link to the thread that Becky Parker began on The Simplicity of Mary. I really think studying Simplicity Parenting will help us to more closely conform ourselves to Mary's simplicity in her home at Nazareth. I hope as we work through the chapters (maybe starting after Epiphany?), I can keep meditating on making my life more like Mary's. Also, for those who aren't aware of Abby Sasscer's work on Simplifying the Domestic Church, this is another resource for meditating on and praying about simplifying our lives for Christ's sake.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

SusanMc wrote:
I may join in too. I like a chapter a week or so format. We could do a thread for each so folks could go at their own pace and find the right spot easily (with Mod permission of course.)

If you are like me and reluctant to bring another book/clutter into the home even for the sake of simplicity, you can download Kindle for the computer from amazon for free and order the online version (~$15 I believe).

These are both excellent ideas. I really like the idea of having a separate thread for each chapter- I think it would be especially helpful when looking for a certain subject or referring back to a discussion.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I second the idea of a separate thread for each chapter. Since I started this thread, should I start the discussion? I can't really do that until about the second week in January, though, so if someone else wants to start it up sooner, that's great.

Flowing Streams

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I'm in. I'll place my order for the book later today.

Thanks for the head's up.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

stellamaris wrote:
I second the idea of a separate thread for each chapter. Since I started this thread, should I start the discussion? I can't really do that until about the second week in January, though, so if someone else wants to start it up sooner, that's great.

Caroline- I think waiting until you are ready is fine. That will give everyone ample time to find a copy of the book. I am finding that it is best read slowly, as there is much to ponder, and I am reading just a few pages at a time.

I am also moving this thread up to philosophy of education, because I believe it deserves a spot there. The simplicity life style is a philosophy that touches many areas of our lives.... I am hoping to apply this to school as well as general clutter.

I think we will do the discussion over in BookClub with links to the original thread. Does that sound good to everyone?

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Sounds fine, Melinda!

Flowing Streams

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I have to second the recommendation for Abby's book. That book has saved me this year (from myself, mostly ). I have a more peaceful Advent and it feels good to have LESS. Since I've read that book I think we've given away about 15 bags of STUFF to Freecycle. I am embarrassed to say I have the basement and other rooms still to work on -- that was just the study and the master bedroom and one child's stuff.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 23 2009 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

I've seen a download of Abby's book- is that the complete book or a sampler?

Happy to join in when Caroline starts us off.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version