Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ask Sister Mary Martha Hoax Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm picking up a comment on another thread on Halloween by sheaf mom, I too googled around and found that it is indeed a hoax.

I am really saddened and scandalised by this and I am wondering if/how to get this exposed. I know many who link to her in good faith, thinking she is giving an authentic Catholic nun's view point. I know we should know better about the dangers of trust in the blogosphere, but still, I am sad.

For those interested visit this site:

http://tuesdaywriteclub.blogspot.com/2009/09/write-club-memb ers-antonio-sacre.html

and scroll down to the side to the Write Club Writers Blogs where Ask Sister Mary Martha is listed as one of their blogs.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Fuzzy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote Fuzzy

I couldn't get this link to work. Can you tell me a little more about it? I am really bummed by this, and it does make me sad as well.

Back to Top View Fuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Fuzzy Visit Fuzzy's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Hmm I'll try again sorry:

Link

I don't know anything more than it appears to be an actress/comedian named Jane Morris. Sheafmom wrote in the Halloween thread that she and some others tried to comment on the Ask Sister Mary Martha blog about her identity and they were never published and received no response.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Hmm. That's fraud if true.
*sigh* I pray it isn't.

I'll have to get on my computer to take her off my link list.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I'm not sure I see the scandal. I never thought that it was an actual nun writing the blog. I've enjoyed reading it a great deal, and I don't recall ever reading anything heretical on the site. I'm interested to see how this develops.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Hmmm. This is interesting.

I got a very "off" feel from "Ask Sister Mary Martha" and never linked to it. My best guess as to its author was that it might be Maripat Donovan, the writer responsible for the "Late Nite Catechism" show; the writing style seemed to fit what I've read about that show.

As it turns out (see here), a Jane Morris (though I can't, of course, say if it's the same one) is listed as having worked with Maripat Donovan and Marc Silvia on "Sister's Christmas Catechism," another live show in the "Late Night Catechism" tradition. While the authors and creators of the LNC "franchise" insist the shows aren't anti-Catholic, such diverse groups as the Catholic League and "America" magazine have criticized them for the tenor of ridicule the shows have for Catholic beliefs or for having a "sadistic" nun. The "America" criticism which is rather brief, from 2000, is here, , while the Catholic League wrote the following back in 1996 about the LNC play:

"New York, NY - The off-Broadway play Late Night Catechism premiered at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. The play ridiculed virtually every aspect of Catholicism including Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the Saints, the sacraments, Catholic schools, and Catholic customs. In particular, the sexual statements that the play made about Catholic beliefs and practices were unusually coarse. "

The handful of posts I've read on the "Ask Sister Mary Martha" site seemed to me to be subtly poking fun at Catholic beliefs and traditions, not really presenting them in good faith. So if the Jane Morris who may be the blog's author turns out to be the same as the one who assisted in the creation of "Sister's Christmas Catechism," that may not be such an erroneous assumption.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Red Cardigan wrote:

The handful of posts I've read on the "Ask Sister Mary Martha" site seemed to me to be subtly poking fun at Catholic beliefs and traditions, not really presenting them in good faith.

I always thought of the tone to be more of a humorous familiarity , rather like my sisters and I talking about how we need to bother "St. Joe." Maybe I should have been reading more carefully...

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Noreen, tone is a really hard thing to discern on the Internet!! I might just have easily have learned that there was a real retired elderly nun out there writing those posts. If anything, what tipped me off to the possibility of someone from LNC being involved is that "Sister Mary Martha" is always telling people not to give her money, but to give it to retired nuns--and some of the proceeds from LNC always goes to retired nuns...

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It is clear from the discussion that there are two different experiences of how the Sister Mary Martha blog was read and perceived. For those who feel mislead or hurt, this is very disconcerting and to express personal feelings is fine and often helpful.

kingvozzo wrote:
I'm not sure I see the scandal. I never thought that it was an actual nun writing the blog. I've enjoyed reading it a great deal, and I don't recall ever reading anything heretical on the site.

The Sr. Mary Martha blog has been mentioned numerous times in the past by members here. When mentioned there has generally been some expressed doubt as to this being a real identity - example in this thread. I've even seen a blog poll looking at viewer opinion on the matter. Like Noreen, I have never really thought she was a sister - not that I knew one way or other for sure, but when I happened to read it I always read it assuming she wasn't. And I guess I figured most people did as well because I have heard people say as much. She does seem more like a character. From comments I heard it appeared many folks accepted the idea that someone could be playing a part to do Catholic apologetics of sorts. It's a very different approach and tone that may reach a different audience. What was presented was not contrary to Church teaching.

Information has been found and shared regarding identity and while it does seem from the information posted that SMM is not a real person, much of the discussion could get into conjecture and speculation. Let's not venture into speculation on intent or motives or make judgments. If anyone is feeling compelled to pursue the topic with action it is appropriate to do so outside of the board.

This is a good reminder that with the internet or any media in general, it is always wise to have a healthy skeptism and a discerning eye.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 3:57am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Red Cardigan wrote:
Hmmm. This is interesting.

I got a very "off" feel from "Ask Sister Mary Martha" and never linked to it. My best guess as to its author was that it might be Maripat Donovan, the writer responsible for the "Late Nite Catechism" show; the writing style seemed to fit what I've read about that show.

As it turns out (see here), a Jane Morris (though I can't, of course, say if it's the same one) is listed as having worked with Maripat Donovan and Marc Silvia on "Sister's Christmas Catechism," another live show in the "Late Night Catechism" tradition. While the authors and creators of the LNC "franchise" insist the shows aren't anti-Catholic, such diverse groups as the Catholic League and "America" magazine have criticized them for the tenor of ridicule the shows have for Catholic beliefs or for having a "sadistic" nun. The "America" criticism which is rather brief, from 2000, is here, , while the Catholic League wrote the following back in 1996 about the LNC play:

"New York, NY - The off-Broadway play Late Night Catechism premiered at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church. The play ridiculed virtually every aspect of Catholicism including Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the Saints, the sacraments, Catholic schools, and Catholic customs. In particular, the sexual statements that the play made about Catholic beliefs and practices were unusually coarse. "

The handful of posts I've read on the "Ask Sister Mary Martha" site seemed to me to be subtly poking fun at Catholic beliefs and traditions, not really presenting them in good faith. So if the Jane Morris who may be the blog's author turns out to be the same as the one who assisted in the creation of "Sister's Christmas Catechism," that may not be such an erroneous assumption.

i find this very surprising.

LNC has been playing in Phx for years. not only that but parishes will have it come in from time to time to do private shows, and after listening to everyone, i would have to say that the diocese in Phx is on the conservative side.

anyway - w/o seeing it, i just don't think jumping to conclusions and bringing in other things is such a hot idea.

eta: whoops, Mary, i guess i should have read the whole thread before posting. should i remove my post?
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote sarahb

I have always enjoyed the blog, thought she gave solid catholic explanations and suspected she was not really a nun. This is the internet. I have enjoyed the blog and would continue to recommend it.

There certainly was never anything off or sexual or coarse about the blog.

I once asked her advice on taking complaining kids to mass and her answer was to ignore the whining and continue to sing the old familiar song "This is what we do as a family on Sunday" so really, the idea she is poking fun doesnt fly with me.
Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

The reason I am saddened is that there isn't full disclosure. There is a sense of 'pulling over a fast one' on many who DO think she is real. Furthermore, what about when sheaf mom tried to ask her about her identity?

When you go to see the LNC show, you know it is a show.

Of course we should all be wary of whom we trust on the internet.

I never saw anything I felt was heretical either, but I still think she should be honest that she is an actress, playing a role. One can still remain 'in character' on the blog though and have fun with it.

I mean maybe you, me or some others suspected she was not a real nun, but there are many in the blog world who do and link to her and comment and take her advice on those false grounds.

eta: Mary I see your point about false conjecture, but then when would it be appropriate to share info. such as this? At this point I don't see how it could be false conjecture, SMM is not a real nun period. and folks shouldn't be taking her advice under those false pretenses.....Right?!!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I don't see it. I have read her for years and have never once seen anything anti-Catholic. And her saints recommendations on the blog and in her etsy store are valid. So if she is just trying to insult Catholicism and make money, she is putting an awful lot of real effort into it. I have seen her answer questions with authentic Catholic teaching and common sense.

If she is a member of a writers' blog circle, what is the harm in that? Maybe she wants to be a writer. Maybe she was linked there by the blog owner without her permission or knowledge. Any blog owner can put any link in their sidebar and call it anything they want. In short, is there any real proof other than one link on one blog? Is there anything in her blog posts which raise red flags?

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Red Cardigan wrote:
"Sister Mary Martha" is always telling people not to give her money, but to give it to retired nuns--and some of the proceeds from LNC always goes to retired nuns...

Why is this a problem? Is she suggesting giving it to them directly? Or to retired religious funds?

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Noreen, I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't give money to retired nuns--that's always admirable!

It's just that it was one piece of "evidence" that made me pretty sure the LNC crowd was involved somehow. And some have said that the blog author doesn't disclose where the proceeds from her shop actually go, since she *isn't* a real nun and presumably isn't using the money to support the fictional life she describes on the blog (e.g., herself and some other "sisters" sharing a home in CA).

As to the objectionable nature of LNC itself, there will be differences of opinion, but many who found it objectionable specifically thought that it was pre-VII Catholicism or traditional Catholicism coming under attack (e.g., Latin, "smells and bells," rules about fasting, etc.). The SMM blog occasionally drifts into this tone; see this post about Ember days for one example. Consider this part of her answer:

"Ember days were days of fasting that happened four times a year. In the old pagan days, there were three times set aside for some kind of idol worshiping prayers to the gods for a good harvest, a good grape crop and a good seed planting. The early Church grabbed up all the pagan holidays they could to make them relevant to a life in Christ and made these times into days of fasting. They added a four set somewhere in there and voila, there are your ember days."

The notion that the early Church "grabbed up all the pagan holidays" is one I've heard a lot--from non-Catholics. "Sister" also says in that post that her appreciation for the changes of Vatican II puts her at odds with lots of Catholics, though that's not really the case, is it?

Since I have strong opinions on the subject of people masquerading as religions or (heaven forbid) clergy, I'll drop out of this conversation here. I'll be happy to discuss it further at my blog or via email (my email add. is on my blog) if anyone wants to talk about it.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I always suspected she was not a real nun but merely a persona, and so I suppose that's why it doesn't other me. But I can see why someone would be very disappointed to find this out if they had thought all along she was real.I can see how someone would feel lied to or mislead. It would be nice if she went ahead and put a disclaimer on her blog, but she has the right to preserve her anonymity (her secret identity, so to speak) I suppose. Still, it's no fun being deceived.

So far I've never seen anything anti-Catholic on her blog at all and I've been reading it for years. And if by chance there are a few things that some may see as a little irreverent on there, well then that just makes her human in my eyes. And it has never so far as I can tell ever ventured into anything heretical or misleading. On the contrary, the balance of it has been very authentic, uplifting and true to Catholic teaching.
And she still cracks me up on a regular basis.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

hmmm...
I think there are 2 seperate issues here.
I don't need to know her name or convent for her to be "real".
Otherwise I guess a lot of YOU and even myself, are not really home schooling parents?

If she is simply a layperson with a cute psuedo name - fine. but be up front about that.

However, if she is a fraud, that is a serious criminal offense we should not take lightly!!!

A fraud: purposely impersonating or perpetuating a false identity.

If she is making money off it - that just makes it worse. Selling rosaries for a charity tht doesn't exist for example is a felony.

I would greatly hesitate to make such a claim at this point for reasons that allegience mom and noreen gave.
And because I want to believe her.

but really it should be relatively simple to have an absolute answer to this by the end of next week. Esp if a few of you moms that live in California could PM me some key info or take it upon yourself.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Seriously, it never even crossed my mind that she was really a nun! I never considered purchasing anything from her because I have so many other great resources to go to first. I read her blog occasionally for entertainment. I never thought she was anti-Catholic at all, very funny, blunt, and sometimes crass - a little like my husband!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Regarding Ember Days, "Sister" was not wrong or anti-Catholic. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia of 1917 article entitle Ember Days (from the New Advent website):

"The purpose of their introduction, besides the general one intended by all prayer and fasting, was to thank God for the gifts of nature, to teach men to make use of them in moderation, and to assist the needy. The immediate occasion was the practice of the heathens of Rome. The Romans were originally given to agriculture, and their native gods belonged to the same class. At the beginning of the time for seeding and harvesting religious ceremonies were performed to implore the help of their deities: in June for a bountiful harvest, in September for a rich vintage, and in December for the seeding; hence their feriae sementivae, feriae messis, and feri vindimiales. The Church, when converting heathen nations, has always tried to sanctify any practices which could be utilized for a good purpose. At first the Church in Rome had fasts in June, September, and December; the exact days were not fixed but were announced by the priests. The "Liber Pontificalis" ascribes to Pope Callistus (217-222) a law ordering: the fast, but probably it is older. Leo the Great (440-461) considers it an Apostolic institution. When the fourth season was added cannot be ascertained, but Gelasius (492-496) speaks of all four."

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

Back one last time because someone posted the same thing as Allegiance Mom did on my blog.

I said that what bothered me was Sister's offhand remark that the Church went around grabbing pagan holidays. Aside from the fact that no one who was around before VII would characterize Ember Days as "holidays," for good reason, her offhand comment is the sort of thing one hears from anti-Catholic fundamentalists, who insist that Christmas, Easter, and the like are really pagan devil-worship "dressed up" as Christian feast days. A real nun would, one hopes, know better than to fan those flames.

But the subtlety of what I can't help but see as the irreverence of the blog is like the subtlety of the irreverence of the whole Late Nite Catechism thing. I think it mocks the Church, especially Catholic traditions prior to Vatican II, though I recognize that many will disagree.

I also think that the reason the actress writes the blog is simple--Late Nite Catechism, its sequel, and "Sister's Christmas Catechism" have had decent box office returns whenever they've run; I don't know how Ms. Morris' "Ask Sister Mary Martha" improv play has done, but I'm sure if it is a success she'll perform it alongside those other plays. The blog must be an excellent way to gather material for the show.

Now I really am dropping out of this conversation, and will not be active on the forum for the rest of this year, either. Every time I come here lately it seems that I end up discouraged, and this conversation has been no exception.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version