Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ask Sister Mary Martha Hoax Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

she is supposedly in a convent/mission in marina del rey?
http://www.blogger.com/profile/00580244097177195453

I would find it hard to beleve the bishop there would be unaware of a nun in his diocese giving advice on a blog and making money off rosaries/saint bracelets she makes in the convent. I would think the locals there would be aware of her and make mention if nothing else?

Maybe I'm giving too much credit, but I really would think a phone call to the local bishop would easily decide if this nun is in fact a nun or not?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Ok, pretend I set up a blog where I claimed I was a priest and I wrote as a priest, describing my home, other priests I lived with. I write advice-y type stuff to people who email with questions on matters of faith, both practical and spiritual. I also have a small shop where I sell candles or soap and infer that this helps support me and my brother priest I live with. None of my advice is heretical and it is also quite funny.

Mind you I do not say anywhere on the blog that this is just a persona of mine. Some readers may guess I am not an actual priest, but many, many readers take what I offer in good faith. Oh and I am in a 'Best Religious Blog' contest, maybe a finalist or winner.

Some of you would have no problem with that at all?

Let me be clear, I am asking this hypothetical in good faith. I am not out to tar and feather Ms. Morris.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I agree with you tracy.
Except for one big huge thing:
You don't know that this nun is not a nun, much less that she is Ms. Morris.

That's a big claim to make at this point that I for one can't back up and thus cannot commit to. That's a serious charge to make and shouldn't be done unless there's certainy.

Like I said, it should be easy enough to verify if there's a nun in a convent in marina del rey making money with saint jewlery she sells on the internet and blogging religious advice.

I think so anyways.

Been wrong about what I consider to be practical before.

And I honestly hope I am wrong and she is a real nun and not an imposter.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Martha, I admit perhaps I shouldn't be stating this categorically as we all have to find our own level of certainty, but based upon my research I am certain that SMM is indeed Jane Morris.

As you have said, hopefully I can confirm next week by contacting the diocese and I will pass along whatever they tell me here. In the meantime, I refer y'all to RedCardigan's blog where she has a couple more links connecting Jane Morris and SMM.

However, I am still curious about the folks who do not see anything wrong with SMM allegedlynot being a nun and not having any disclosure on the site.

Like my priest persona senario...

There's a thread here asking people to link their favorite priest blog. What if someone had linked to my hypothetical priest blog? Wouldn't people be upset to discover that it was only a persona, a character I was playing? Wouldn't I be wrong to deliberately lead people to believe I was one person, when in fact I am not?

I am posing these questions in the spirit of discernment and learning, not to hurt anyone's feeling's or spark anger.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I see your point, Tracy.
I guess I just feel like people should assume that anything online could very well be less than authentic unless they have good reason to believe otherwise. Which is why I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the scenario you describe may indeed exist. Who knows for sure what is real in this virtual reality of ours?
Now don't get me wrong. I'm not excusing it, (and certainly not if actual fraud is being perpetrated)just saying that when it comes to the internet, "buyer beware" may be a good guiding principle, and let doubting St. Thomas be our role model!LOL!
But in all seriousness,the internet is an evolving medium. Is it entertainment? Is it a news source? Because each of those industries has it's own set of standards.Is protected under free speech? Under which countries laws? Who knows what rules and regulations will eventually apply and under which circumstances?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

*************MODERATOR'S NOTE****************

Ladies, just a gentle caution that this topic is one we need to be careful with. We each have opinions, some differing opinions, on this topic and on the question of the identity of the person writing the Sister Mary Martha blog. Expressing them here can be helpful, particularly for those who may just be learning about this, and need a safe haven to express the concerns of their heart. We cannot make assumptions about the motives of the person writing this blog, because we cannot know those.

This board does discourage or limit some conversations held here but it is never our intent to discourage a person or the way she strives for truth and holiness. For example, any member who feels a desire to act on this topic can do so through a variety of means off-board. The limits of this board are a container, a focus, that is best expressed in our About Us documents. In general, the further a topic strays from being about home education and how families live their faith within their homes, the more likely the moderators will help clarify the limitations of the 4Real boards.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote molly

I read that blog one time and instantly knew somet,hing was not right. I agree with Erin (red cardigan) this blog has, lent itself to be subtly anti pre Vll.

I read your cautionJennifer, quite right and wise, hope you do not mind another voice chirping in
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version