Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Manners and Courtesy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm pulling together a mini-unit study on Manners and Courtesy. Please share your favorite books, activities, and tips on this topic!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

My younger set love the humor in Manners Can Be Fun by Munro Leaf (of Ferdinand fame). Geared to probably the 6-8 age group, it's a humorous look at both what not to do (whine, grab, sneeze all over everything) and what to do (obey, say please, etc.) Great fun drawings of characters such as "The Whineys" and a "Me First".

As far as activities, we sometimes play a table game that involves passing around a napkin ring. I begin the game by passing my napkin ring to someone who is not having proper manners (talking with the mouth full, no napkin in lap, and so on). They can pass it on when they see someone else being unmannerly. The person with the napkin ring at the end of the meal has to do a chore (clear the table or help with the dishes) or perform a silly song/poem/entertainment for the benefit of the table. The children really enjoy this game, and it helps them watch their manners. After they have the basic manners learned, you do have to explain that it isn't super-polite to be calling out other people on their poor manners in the real world...only during the game

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Funny, I just ran across a review of this newly published book a few days ago and have requested it from the library when it is purchased. It looks like a humorous yet educational approach to Emily Post and etiquette/manners.

Thanks a LOT, Emily Post!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Angie,

We just absolutely loveEveryday Gracesby Karen Santorum. We bought it because of a recommendation from another thread on here and I am so very glad.

It has stories and lessons and parts of longer stories ( a lot of classics) My children really enjoy the first person narratives in parts and I enjoy the shortness of the passages. I pick and choose what we are learning for the month. We finished the parts about Good Manners at Home, Using Words wisely and Table Manners last year. This year we are continuing with Washing and Dressing, Appreciating people with Disabilities and caring for the Elderly and Sick.

I cannot recommend this book enough.

HTH!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Trying to remember a title, doing searches and not coming up Something like "Someday I will have manners" Anyone?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Found it Someday We Will Have Very Good Manners by Harriet Ziefert

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm likely to duplicate some of the suggestions offered, but I have been pulling together some favorite books/read-alouds for the various ages around here on this topic.

Here are my favorite virtue gems:

Preschool and Under

** Manners In God's House selected and explained by Sister M. Juliana (Neumann Press)
** Stories to Learn By by Msgr. John Koenig
** Goops and How to Be Them - A Manual of Manners for Polite Children by Gilett Burgess
** What Do You Do, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin
** What Do You Say, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin
** Kindergarten Gems - Stories and Rhymes For Little Folks by Agnes Taylor Ketchum (this one IS a gem!)
** Please and Thank You (Golden Books)
** Please and Thank You by Richard Scarry

Elementary (though they really love the younger books, too!)

** Devotional Stories for Little Folks by Nancy Nicholson
** Devotional Stories for Little Folks, too. by Nancy Nicholson
** The Children's Book of Virtues by William Bennett
** Everyday Graces - A Child's Book of Good Manners by Karen Santorum (this is a favorite!)
** Garden of Virtues: Planting Seeds of Goodness by Christina Keffler

Jr/Sr. High

** Moral Compass by William Bennett
** Etiquette (1945) by Emily Post

Love the "pass the napkin ring game" Caroline! Thanks for sharing that one!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just read this picture book - okay not tons of manners presented here - it only covers about 4. But it is a very funny and a lighthearted look at manners. It has several plays on words and clever references to fairy tales. It had my 9 year old in stitches...

Mind Your Manners, B.B. Wolf (B.B. as in "Big Bad")

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has feedback or additional suggestions....

Oh Angie, I love the video on your blog. Ahhh, the good ole days!

Living in NC, I've been taken back by all the manners and proper etiquette classes. I'm reminded I live in the south quite often! Do these classes work, really?

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons is a sweet choice for the younger set.

Kimblerlee's Writing the ABC's on Little Hearts coloring pages would also be a good addition for that age group.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

My children LOVE the book Animal Manners by Barbara Shook Hazen. Copyright 1974.

My mom rescued this book from her school librarian who was throwing it out. She has rescued many, lovely books for me this way. :)

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jenn Sal wrote:
Living in NC, I've been taken back by all the manners and proper etiquette classes. I'm reminded I live in the south quite often! Do these classes work, really?

What do you think about cotillion classes? These are big in our area (and costly)- I am a little sceptical of them as I wonder why we would pay to have someone else teach our kids' manners - but I would be interested in hearing different opinions on this.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

One of our favorite manners books for young ladies is Social Graces: Manners, Conversation and Charm for Today

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I have a lot of love for this subject and many books I consider integral to teaching manners, courtesy, character, behavior, etc. in our library that I won't part with.   Maybe it's because one of my kids' all time favorite books is Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book----they can never tire of it!

Manners books that are faves are: Richard Scarry, as mentioned; Clifford's Manners---Bridwell; Please is a Good Word to Say---Josse; A Little Book of Manners for Boys, A Little Book of Manners for Girls---Barnes; Goops, and More Goops, Madeline Says Merci---Marciano; What do you DO/Say Dear---Joslin; Why Should I Share?, Why Should I Help?, Why SHould I Listen?----Llewellyn; My Mouth is a Volcano, A Bad case of Tattle Tongue---Cook; Peas and Thank You (Veggie Tales)---Nawrocki; It's a Spoon, Not a Shovel---Buehner; Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners; Polite as a Princess (Disney)---Arps.

Food/Eating-related Issues: Gregory, the Terrible Eater---Sharmat; The Greedy Python--Carle; How do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food---Yolen; Little Pea---Rosenthal; I Will Never Not Ever eat a Tomato----Child; Seven Silly Eaters----Hoberman; Bread and Jam for Francis-----Hoban; You've Got Manners! Table Tips from A to Z-----Elerding.

Books on Behavior:

Pierre---Sendak; Harriet, You'll Drive Me WIld---Frazee; Papa Gatto ----Sanderson; The Selfish Giant---Wilde, acc. to Waters; Princesses are Not Quitters---Lum; The Talking Eggs---San Souci; Little Hoot, Little Oink---Rosenthal; Herman the Helper----Kraus; Babushka's Doll---Polacco; Max and Ruby's Midas, Max and Ruby in Pandora's Box; Little Girls' Devotional Storybook for Mothers and Daughters---Larsen; A Little Princess, A Little Hero in the Making----Barnes; Stories to Learn By---Koenig; The Little Brute Family----Hoban, THe Rainbow Fish---Pfister; George and Martha Treasury----Marshall, A Little Girl, BOy After God's Own Heart----George, Cookies-Bite-sized Lessons.

Good Books on Virtues for Littles:

9 Fruits ALive---MacDonald; First Virtues for Toddlers---Simon

GOod series on Virtues, Good Behavior:

series by Dandi Daley Mackall----

We like: The Armor of God; THe GOlden Rule, I'm His Lamb; I've Got a Job to Do; The Best Thing is Love; (I can be Happy Because) God Blesses Me.    There are more. They rhyme.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

365 Manner Kids Should Know and the manners game from Queen Homeschoolsupplies: Manners for Mealtimes.

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Around here we get a chuckle out of Do Unto Otters (A Book About Manners) by Laurie Keller. Fun way to introduce manners..

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I found some books at the library and through those discovered Emily Post Institute on the web. The institute, originally created by Emily in 1946 is run today by third generation family members.

They publish quite a few books for all ages and on various specific topics. These are the ones for children (and parents). I have read a couple of the ones they refer to as those for the toddler set - whimsical illustrations that follow the adventures of a little girl named Emily (and a boy Ethan, too). They are well done and present different aspects of etiquette and good manners. Emily's Magic Words is sweet. I also have been reading through The Guide to Good Manners for Kids which is for older kids (upper elementary/middle school probably). Includes lots of what would be traditional as well as updated topics - like techno manners, mall manners, etc. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the titles.

Our Domestic Church

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

A book more for parents is the one by Letitia Baldridge: Letitia Baldridge's More Than Manners. This link gives you an excerpt.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Aggie gal wrote:
Around here we get a chuckle out of Do Unto Otters (A Book About Manners) by Laurie Keller. Fun way to introduce manners..

Oh my gosh, my kids love Laurie Keller books SOOOOOO much.   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

After reading
Mind Your Manners by Diane Goode

I asked the children to help me make a list of the manners that they need to work on. They told me things like...

Don't gnaw on your bones or blow on your steak.

This was from the book.

I picked up some wood pieces from the craft store and some letter Cs. I painted the wood pieces a cheerful orange color and the Cs blue. I glued the Cs to the front of the wood pieces. They are called our Courtesy Cards. With a Sharpie permanent marker, I wrote one of the points of good manners on the back. I put them out at breakfast time. (We've pulled them out again this January. We need to update our list and make some new ones.)

But if a child gets the
Don't gnaw on your bones or blow on your steak card
he's supposed to wrok on his table manners for the day.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version