Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: laminating machine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I have no time to research laminating machines and want to purchase one ASAP. Any words of wisdom? Brands? Features to look for? Also...

Tell me how you put this machine to good use!

Thanks and...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'll keep it brief...

Michael's 40% off coupon...

Xyron 900 laminating machine

You'll be laminating everything paper that comes in your house!

You can go cheaper, but I much prefer this one - it's a no heat laminator and laminates right up to the edge unlike some I've tried that really don't laminate up to the edge so you have to leave a 1/4 inch border of laminate around the edge of something. Because it's no heat it means you can just set it on your table, run the holy card/flash card/art print/map/whatever through anytime you want and then just park it back in its place on your shelf.

I LOVE LAMINATING! In fact...if I had to confess an obsession...it would be laminating!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I second Jen's recommendation for the Xyron 900. Love, love, love it.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

How much are refills and how long do they last?

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I recently got a Scotch laminator for about $25. I love it and prefer it to Xyron because I use a lot of velcro. (Hey, velcro is the best friend of a mom of an autistic child...) Velcro doesn't like to stick to Xyron's sheets. There is a way to deal with that, but I'd prefer not to.

In Christ,

sunshinyliving
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote sunshinyliving

I like the Scotch laminator too. I got mine at Sam's for $25, although I noticed last week that they are now $19. It came with 25 sheets. (I usually purchase refills at Walmart.) I haven't noticed a problem with it not laminating around the edges. It is a heat laminator, but it heats up and cools down quickly. It is small and light, easy to get out and put away.

There are so many expensive laminators out there that I'm convinced they must have some really neat and useful features. However, not knowing what they are I don't miss them, and this cheapo one to meets my homeschooling needs (we even laminate leaves with it).
Back to Top View sunshinyliving's Profile Search for other posts by sunshinyliving

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

These are very good points and I thought of them last night after I gushed about the Xyron...

Some things to consider...

Duck brand or Scotch brand
** Inexpensive - the Duck brand laminator is about $30 at Walmart
** Heavier/stiffer laminate
** Tape and velcro will stick to the back of this laminate
** You'll have to plug it in every time you use it and give it time to warm up
** Takes longer to laminate - the page moves through relatively slowly, so if you're doing a lot of laminating it could take some time.

Xyron brand
** No heat laminating - so if you want to laminate, you just put the paper in the machine, turn the crank, and laminate in about 10 seconds.
** Laminates up to the edge of a paper - in other words the laminate sticks to the edge of the paper so you can trim flush with the edge of the paper or material
** You can laminate a very long amount of something...like a timeline...in one consecutive laminate. You're not limited by length as the laminate for this is a 50 foot roll.
** Does not hold tape or velcro very well. I've used double sided tape, but I had to convince it that it wanted to stay. Consider this if you want to velcro laminated chore charts and calendar pages around the house.
** Is a lighter weight laminate than the Duck or Scotch brand laminate, but after a few...ahem... years of laminating everything with both brands...the Xyron seems to stick to the material better over time. I laminated a set of Jesse tree symbols using my *DUCK* and they're all separating and they're my favorite set of symbols.

sunshinyliving does bring up another useful feature of the laminator...I too laminate nature treasures with it!

Ok...I feel better now that I left you with some pros and cons of both. They're both useful laminators. My preference is the no-heat Xyron, but if this is a tight fit in ye olde budget, I'd buy an inexpensive one from Walmart and GET TO LAMINATING!!!!! and then save one day for the Xyron...and use both!

Happy laminating everyone! May we all find our holy cards, saints biographies, recipes, maple leaves, instruction booklets, art prints, old calendar images, shredded book jackets, latin flash cards, and homemade journal covers LAMINATED IN A HIGH QUALITY SHINY SHEEN OF PLASTIC HAPPINESS!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

From my **FAVORITES**

ISO printables on a white background - actually turns into a discussion on laminating heat vs. no heat - very helpful!

and...a discussion on laminators would not be complete without the 4 PAGE discussion...

laminators?

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I have my 40% off coupon for Michaels in my hot little hand and can't wait to get my Xyron laminating machine today! Thanks so much for your help .

Laminating Queens, if you were a newbie Laminating Princess, what would you laminate first? Or...if you *had* to laminate something today, what would it be? Or...what was the last thing you laminated?

I'm going to laminate spelling word lists...then maybe the cloud cards...then...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

...go find your favorite picture book...the hardcover one with the ripped dust jacket...and run it through there...and then come back here with a big on your face and tell us all about it.

...maybe you'd like to laminate a special prayer or holy card for the month of October to include in your family prayer area.

...and for goodness sake...get outside and collect some leaves for laminating for your nature books!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angie Mc wrote:
Laminating Queens, if you were a newbie Laminating Princess, what would you laminate first?

** A couple holy cards for the month of October.
** Your favorite recent picture of your family with everyone's signatures on the back for use as a bookmark!

Angie Mc wrote:
Or...what was the last thing you laminated?
Michelangelo's "Holy Family w/St. John the Baptist" with a hole punched at the top with a string attached to hang around the doorknob.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

You will never again be without a pretty, durable bookmark, Angie!!! Here's one we made for our God-daughter's First Communion:

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

You ladies are such a bad influence! I now have a Xyron 900 heading my way from Dick Blick...I never knew how much I "needed" one! Cannot wait to start playing with it!   

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Just saw this....I have the Xyron and love it! The only downfalls are that the cartridges are expensive and like Jennife said above, tape won't stick. But those things weren't enough to take away my joy, because I LOVE laminating!!!!

The last project was some of the art study pictures. My next project is fall leaves to hang in our school room windows.

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Must.laminate.something!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I'm trying so hard NOT to spend any money, and now I'm feeling an incredible urge to run to Michael's and buy a laminater and something for labels....

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Well, I just bought the Xyron 900. I bought it online through Jo-Ann fabrics, with a 50% off coupon good until tomorrow -- the code is TTF281A is anyone is interested. With shipping and tax my total was 74.76.

rose gardens
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote rose gardens

For those of you who want to laminate only a few items, (or who don't want a machine that requires storage space.) Scotch makes Self-Sealing Laminating Pouches. They come in a couple sizes, including 8x10. One draw-back is they can't be cut or one side of the plastic falls off, but otherwise they're easy to use and don't take any more storage area than paper. I found them at Wal-mart last year. I don't remember the price, but it seemed reasonable and they serve my purposes.
Back to Top View rose gardens's Profile Search for other posts by rose gardens

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version