Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: laminators? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I don't have a laminator and have decided that I might need one. What kind do y'all use?

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 04 2007 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angela - Have you been reading my mind???? I was just going to post about this. I have an el-cheapo (think the brand is "Duck") from Walmart, and I am not really pleased. I mean it's ok, and I've used it a lot, but I don't like how it leaves 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch around everything un-laminated. I talked with ALMom this weekend about whether or not it was worth it just to pay the local school supply store to laminate for me. Was theirs a better quality? She said no. Home laminate is usually thicker. Ok. Does anyone know how to solve the border not laminating problem? Are you guys having that problem too? I was hoping to get a closer cut to the nomenclature cards. Didn't want to have all of that plastic border hanging off. I'd love to hear your recommendations for laminators if you're getting better quality from yours. Thanks for starting this Angela!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have a Brother Cool Laminator that allows me to chose a border or no border. It laminates very nicely, but I have found it is finicky about rolling the paper through. It seems that if the paper doesn't go in just so the machine rejects it. Sometimes I have try over and over to get the paper through

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 04 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

ooh! that's good to know Melinda. Where did you get it? Was it expensive?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I have a Xyron 900 I actually purchased mine at Michael's and there are several different cartridges (magnetic, stickers, adhesive) that can be used with it. I get 50' of double-sided laminate for about $35 also at Michael's or JoAnn's. It lasts a surprisingly long time considering ALL the cards I have been making

I really like this one as it is a cool laminator and stores very easily on a shelf

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

I have a Purple Cow Laminator from Joann fabrics. I am very happy with it. It is a hot laminator and everything that I have used it on stays very sealed. I even can cut out the image after it is laminated and it stays very secure. It also is lightweight and portable.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Meredith wrote:
I have a Xyron 900 I actually purchased mine at Michael's and there are several different cartridges (magnetic, stickers, adhesive) that can be used with it. I get 50' of double-sided laminate for about $35 also at Michael's or JoAnn's. It lasts a surprisingly long time considering ALL the cards I have been making

I really like this one as it is a cool laminator and stores very easily on a shelf

I second Meredith - I have the Xyron 900 from Michaels. I had a few teething problems the first time I used it with creases - but since then it has been a dream. I have it in the learning room and use it all the time. it also has a sticker option and one sided laminates. I get the cartridges from Michaels when they are on sale or when on offer. I have done lots of lamination since Christmas - and am still on the same cartridge.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I have a GBC heatseal 210. I love it. It is inexpensive and a breeze to operate. It seals wonderfully well, with no border at all. I can cut right up to the edge of the picture.
I have run out of pouches though and need to get more.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

My Brother laminator is probably 10 years old (but still going strong). I think dh bought it at Walmart for my birthday all those years ago. At the time I was thinking: laminator? Umm... is that like giving me a vacuum?

Little did I dream....

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I got the Xyron 900 from Sticker Maker for a whole lot less than it was at Michaels - I'm REALLY satisfied with it. I also like that it has a magnet cartride. Instead of using felt board materials, I've been making magnets.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

lapazfarm wrote:
I have a GBC heatseal 210. I love it. It is inexpensive and a breeze to operate. .

Can you link us to it Theresa? Where did you get yours?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Okay ladies, this may seem like a dumb question, but I've mostly been putting off buying a laminator because I'm not sure whether I'll be able to laminate my larger items at home...so how big is the biggest thing you've been able to laminate with ease?

We make lots of construction paper books (from the cut small-sized shape books to 12x18 "Big Books") and I've been taking them to Office Depot to have the covers laminated and the books bound (for durability).

Can a home laminator be that versatile?

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Just a quick note that I got my laminator...can't remember the kind...on ebay. I'm a big ebay lover and I got a good deal. So when you decide...see what auctions are available. There were well over 100 different auctions with all sorts of brands going when I made my purchase last summer. I know I ended up saving at least $30 (compared to the price at Office Depot).

KackyK
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I got mine as a gift from my Mom for Christmas. But it is available at Amazon.com for between 150 and 200 bucks.

As far as versatility, Kristine, mine cannot laminate things that big. Only up to legal size, I believe. You could laminate everything but the big book covers at home, though.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 05 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm doing some serious investigating of laminators to decide if I can justify replacing mine before I laminate the oodles of delicious nomenclature cards I have printed and sitting before me. This is soooo depressing. Must laminate! Must heat shrink everything!   

Ok-my question. I'm looking at Theresa's on Amazon. But, for those of you with the cool laminators - the no heat ones - like the Xyron, and the Brother - how well do they really work? Melinda, you specifically mentioned that you could set your Brother to no border. Does yours seal to the paper then? Is that what a cool laminator does? That's what I'm looking for - something that seals to the paper so I can cut right up to the edge of the card. Does the Xyron work that way?

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I have the Xyron 900 and I feel that it works really well - I've only had a couple of mishaps.

Mine also will not laminate larger than 8.5 x 11, but that hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Jennifer, to answer your question, I have been able to cut right up to the edge with no peeling of the lamination. This also applies when I use the magnet or sticker cartridge as well. HTH.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Ditto what Cindy said on the Xyron, it's great!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 05 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Cindy Mac wrote:
I have the Xyron 900 and I feel that it works really well - I've only had a couple of mishaps.

Mine also will not laminate larger than 8.5 x 11, but that hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Jennifer, to answer your question, I have been able to cut right up to the edge with no peeling of the lamination. This also applies when I use the magnet or sticker cartridge as well. HTH.

Yes this helps very much!! I think that the cool laminators actually "stick" to the paper - which is what I am looking for. For some reason (and it could be that I just have a clunker of a laminator-naturally ) mine won't laminate closer than 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch around the edge of something. I was just waiting to hear from someone - thanks Cindy. I am off to Costco and Michael's! I have a small Xyron which I think I just need to buy a cartridge for, and then I could be laminating

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 05 2007 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

we were posting at the same time - thanks for the extra validation Meredith!

hobbitmom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 17 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote hobbitmom

Just bumping this with the note that the Xyron 900 is on sale at AC Moore through June 19 for $70 (regularly $120). Refills for it are also 40% off.

Might have to pick one of these up myself... thanks for all the recommendations and advice!

Amy
Back to Top View hobbitmom's Profile Search for other posts by hobbitmom

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version