Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: swine flu and pregnancy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Our family chooses to not vaccinate and with all this swine flu vaccine debate I'm wondering if anybody else out there has some info to share. Pregnant women are one of the first in line to get the vaccine and I've even heard rumors that they may make it mandatory. I do not want it. I'm just wondering why this is being pushed so strongly on us pregnant women. We are taking the best care of ourselves when we're pregnant, taking vitamins, eating well, staying away from sick people...generally the elderly are the first to get the flu vaccine. What makes this one so different? Looking forward to hearing educated responses not just to vaccinate/not vaccinate debate. Thank you!

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Younger people are at more risk for the swine flu. Thinking is that older folks have some immunity to it from a previous strain that came through.
Maybe back in the 50s. Some of the deaths from swine flu have been pregnant women. But, these are still very rare. In general, the swine flu is milder than the seasonal flu.   There is always the chance of some "mutation" - but so far this has not happened. I can't imagine they would ever force you to get a vaccination. I would talk to your doctor. I know our concern is how fast they are getting it out on the market and how well tested it is. Also, if you are not in a high risk category o/w (health care worker, etc), would weigh into the decision. My DH works at a hospital and we live close to the border. I still don't think I would get it.

I think you also need to get the regular flu shot a month or so ahead of getting the swine flu shot. So, you would need to get that now if you wanted the swine flu shot when it come out next month.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

I asked about this earlier and heard a lot of different opinions: swine flu and pregnancy

what pushed me over into the "yes" camp was hearing the personal story of a 27-year-old, perfectly healthy woman who contracted swine flu near the end of her pregnancy. they were able to save the baby with an emergency C-section but she was in a coma for a month before dying. my big sister, who knew her sister, and my father, who has done a lot of research as well, both have begged me to get the vaccine, so I will ... with some trepidation but lots of prayer.

the study I linked to in my original post was most convincing for me personally, as well as this quote from the earlier discussion, but I know it's a decision everyone has to make on their own.

SaraP wrote:
KauaiCatholic wrote:
so it sounds as if pregnant women are at higher risk of contracting it as well as dying from it

The immune system is somewhat supressed during pregnancy so you are higher risk from all infectious diseases while pregnant. But as the others said, swine flu is actually milder than the regular seasonal flus that are around every year.

prayers for your discernment process.

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I am in Australia and we have just been through swine flu season. This was a small blip on the stats of normal flu deaths/damage. The trouble is the people who ended up in hospital clinging to life or dying hit headline news.

The truth is thousands die from flu in Australia every year, so the thousand plus people who died from another strain did not get that media coverage. It would be interesting to see how many pregnant women end up in ICU with flu complications each year, are they always a bit more susceptible? My immune system is not good in pregnancy and early post-partum, that is normal for me.

From what I have read and witnessed (we caught it and it went right through my dh's work place) is that there can be breathing complications, be vigilant in acting quickly if this occurs, better to have the hospital or doctor say 'you're fine!' than allow those sort of symptoms get too bad. Vomiting/headaches/nausea seem to precede the rest of the swine flu symptoms.

If I were pregnant and going through our winter again, I'd definately stay at home more, make lots of chicken stocks to use on a daily basis and take whatever immune enhancing herbs that were safe in pregnancy. Simple things too, like rigorous hand washing etc in the home and when out. These are things you mentioned as well Jackie.

My advice on the vaccination issue is research - always research, a personal decision can be made from there.

I think people must understand that to have the vacination does NOT mean you are guaranteed not to contract swine flu.

I am against vaccinations but I would not say to people on a public forum do not under any circumstances receive this shot (even though I would never) because people are of such a mind that if they contracted the swine flu and were not vaccinated, they are very likely to say they would not have caught it if they had received the shots. The trouble with that is it's reasoning with no scientific basis, nothing in life can give that sort of assurance, not even eating healthy at all times.

I should also add, praying for the health of our family is essential, use the sacramentals of our faith WITH faith and trust in God in all things.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Thank you for your thoughts everyone and especially for the link to the previous thread...I missed it obviously. From the research I did it seems the diminished lung capacity in pregnant women can make respiratory issues worse in pregnant women and so this can make the flu worse for them. Imo I think the vaccine has more to worry about. I will be staying home as much as possible and keeping the kids home, washing hands, and keeping everyone fed well and rested as always. I've read snipets about elderberry...anyone able to offer info on how it can help?

Thanks again!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Elderberry is a specific for the flu virus. I can't recall the technical info but I can remember how it works from a less technical view. The flu virus has a little hookie thing that will poke into healthy cells to infect them. The elderberry will coat the flu virus so that the hookie things can't poke into cells. That's why it works both preventatively and after you know you're getting sick to reduce the degree and duration of the illness.

Elderberry is also an immune booster so that when taking it I also find that the number of colds is reduced.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I just read the stats on our Australian news website, only 172 people died from swine flu, that is very small compared to annual flu deaths...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

crusermom wrote:
Younger people are at more risk for the swine flu. Thinking is that older folks have some immunity to it from a previous strain that came through.
Maybe back in the 50s. Some of the deaths from swine flu have been pregnant women. But, these are still very rare. In general, the swine flu is milder than the seasonal flu.   There is always the chance of some "mutation" - but so far this has not happened. I can't imagine they would ever force you to get a vaccination. I would talk to your doctor. I know our concern is how fast they are getting it out on the market and how well tested it is. Also, if you are not in a high risk category o/w (health care worker, etc), would weigh into the decision. My DH works at a hospital and we live close to the border. I still don't think I would get it.

I think you also need to get the regular flu shot a month or so ahead of getting the swine flu shot. So, you would need to get that now if you wanted the swine flu shot when it come out next month.

We were just eating breakfast in a local greasy spoon this morning (while the exterminator sprayed ), and it was noisy and I was sitting on bar stools with 5, 3, and 1 year old boys, but Fox News was on (we don't have tv at home), and there was a report that new findings/study/predictions (?) are that young people are NOT more prone to getting it.

Anyway, just throwing that out there since it was what was previously reported and is apparently not thought to be the case anymore.

That is fascinating about elderberry, Jodie. I think that I will have to add that to our regiment. I caught the flu for the first time last year (never have had a flue shot), and it was terrible (I also ended up with a double ear infection). Fortunately, no one else seemed to catch it except the 2 year old who was only sick for a couple of days with me.

ETA: The exterminator sprayed our house, which was why we left in a hurry before breakfast--not spraying the restaurant while we were there. That would have been double

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

I'm researching this right now...when the swine flu first started hitting headlines I thought, Oh, thank goodness I'm not pregnant and don't have that to worry about. Well, I'm pregnant now!

I think I'm going to get the vaccine. My husband and I are both nurses,,,but we practice alternative medicine liberally and have a child that is being evaluated for being on the autism spectrum, so vaccines are a frequent issue around here. We see both sides of the issue a little too clearly I think, and feel nearly paralyzed with indecision because of it.

I was not going to get the vaccine. But we have found out through the "nurse-vine" that there are four pregnant women in our state in ICU right at this very moment with swine flu. One of them is on ECMO and not expected to make it. At the moment, the threat of this flu seems much more real, and my dh is in an almost near-panic wanting me to get the vaccine and calling the health department to pin them down on when it is going to be available.

I do realize that for the vast majority of people this illness has not been a big deal. But...that's where we are. Not sure where we'll land when the time comes to make the decision, that's why I was searching the archives for input. :)

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I just found out that this blog from Shonda Parker is addressing the "swine flu".

Lots of good info on natural ways to deal with it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
I just found out that this blog from Shonda Parker is addressing the "swine flu".

Lots of good info on natural ways to deal with it.

Jodie,
That was a great post and I found it quite helpful! Thanks for posting it!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Jodie thank you for the link to that post! I just read it through and even though the things she wrote is common sense, it's things I needed to be reminded of anyways!

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

I have to highly recommend elderberry extract as well. We use a brand called SAMBUCUS that you can find on www.vitacost.com for about half the price you would in a health food store (at least, that is how it is in our area)...

There are many studies on elderberry extract and sambucus...and I know when they did studies back in the late 90s that they did try it on H1N1 and other permutations of the (H3n3?)...etc...and it was effective in preventing...and shortening the duration of the illness...you'll have to google that info, though. :)

God Bless,
Maggie

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks for that link. It was helpful because it seemed objective and yet had none of that "ahhh run for the hills" tone that so many things out there have!

I just bought some Sambucus today in fact for oldest dd who has a good old-fashioned cold going on. I've never done the elderberry for me or my kids, so I thought I'd use this as our test case.

I'm prego (due in March). I'm assuming elderberry is okay for pregnant ladies too.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yes Kacky, I use it when pregnant too.

-Sir Walter Scott

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennyM

I haven't researched this yet, but I thought I'd ask you all-- what amount of elderberry extract would you give to a 2yo ? I'm assuming it is in liquid form....

Thanks!
Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jenny, it depends on the type of elderberry.. there's syrups and extracts etc. It's from a fruit.. one that you can pick and eat the berries so in that I feel it's pretty safe. What I generally do is figure the adult dose at around 150lbs (I know that's on the light end) and then divide down by weight.. to get to what to give a small child.

-Sir Walter Scott

JennyM
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennyM

Jodie,

Thank you! I was just reading what you had to say about the dosage in the cold/flu prevention thread. I hadn't seen that before I posted my question here. I think I'm going to head out soon to stock up on all of our remedies! These threads have been so helpful.
Back to Top View JennyM's Profile Search for other posts by JennyM

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I've been wondering if pregnant women are more at risk because we have to go to so many check-ups and sit in waiting rooms with sick people! Our whole family has been sick for a week, three days after my last O.B. check.

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

TracyFD wrote:
I've been wondering if pregnant women are more at risk because we have to go to so many check-ups and sit in waiting rooms with sick people! Our whole family has been sick for a week, three days after my last O.B. check.

While it's true that sitting in those waiting rooms does provide "opportunities" for transmission, that's not it, Tracy. It's because pregnant women's immune systems are somewhat depressed. In order to sustain your pregnancy, your immune system must tolerate something foreign to your body, so God, in His wisdom, designed our bodies to lower their tolerance so that we could nourish the little life within.

It's not really known with precision in what ways immunology is affected with pregnancy, just that it is in a significant way, both in terms of resistance and ability to fight infection. Thus, during any flu season, a good idea would be to bolster your own immune system with healthy measures...and avoid the crowded corner of the waiting room if you can.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version