Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: swine flu and pregnancy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

has anyone heard about this?

Study: Pregnant women more vulnerable to swine flu

I am trying not to panic here ... news can sound so alarming. I had been encouraged at first because also in the news today is that pregnant women will be first in line for flu vaccinations in the fall. but then I heard from a friend who is opting AGAINST that because of the higher risk of autism to the baby. personally, I'd rather be around to help take care of an autistic baby than leave these DC and my DH, but .... oh, don't wanna go there this morning ...

somebody wanna help me out here? join me in panicking or tell me to calm down?

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

calm down, by all reports I've seen, this strain of flu is actually less dangerous than your normal everyday type of flu.. boost your immune system and wash your hands and enjoy the anticipation of that little one.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Yes, that's how it has been in Australia BUT we are in our traditional flu season and your part of the world is not as yet.

I would agree with Jodie, the reports are always in Aus that 1000 or more die each year from flu's so then you would have to say that swine flu is a small strain going around that is not a serious threat to life statistically, only a handful have died.

The other major point is there usually is some other pre-existing condition in the person, even with those pregnant ladies, they had usually given birth to premmie babies, something like that.

We had a very bad flu season in '07 and it was carrying off people with no pre-existing condition, my children who are usually a picture of health..my Angela caught double pnemonia at the tail end of the flu when she was seemingly making a good recovery..that was a nasty year..swine flu has NOT been like that.

Breathing problems seem to be an issue with swine flu..people with lung conditions need to be careful and cautious.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just coming to say the same thing Jodie said, but I'll underline it! Give yourself permission to take a deep breath and calm down. My dad is an immunologist/microbiologist with a specialty in infectious diseases. This has been on his radar for awhile and mine too. This strain of swine flu is actually much milder than your standard, garden variety flu, and can be treated in exactly the same way - lots of rest and fluids.

Do as Jodie says, build your immune system and wash your hands and the children's hands often with soap and water. And, have peace.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Ok, I've just gone and read the report, they're saying that the pregnant women were healthy..that's not what we've being hearing in Aus with the pregnant women's deaths over here.

Still considering the size of the US, that is very small stats..as Jodie said, wash hands, by the time your season hits you'll be heavily pregnant, you may very well be slowing up and staying home more anyway, eat well, take whatever supplements you can in pregnancy.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

OK, thank you everybody!!! I had been comforting myself with those same thoughts, but what's alarming about this study is that the 15 pregnant women among the 266 who have died in the US were healthy before getting the flu. so it sounds as if pregnant women are at higher risk of contracting it as well as dying from it, since only 1 percent of the population is pregnant.

but maybe I'm just panicky this morning. thanks for the virtual hand-holding.

now, any comforting thoughts about the vaccination risks?

ETA: SORRY TO BE SUCH A BABY! I'm calming down now ... breathing deep ... ah, much better. thank you, everybody!!

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well I don't have much to say about the vaccination, I wouldn't do it.. I don't get regular flu shots either.

But I do have a friend who has speculated that the sulfation level getting too low may be part of the problem with the autism from vaccines.. that once it reaches a critical level and then goes below that, that that is when problems occur.. and since things like tylenol and vaccines bring that level down.. it's as good a guess as any I've heard.. and bringing those levels up does help kids on the autism spectrum though not apparently curing them.

So I would say, if you do get vaccines to take epsom salt bathes before and after to bring those levels up, just when pregnant watch the temp of the bath.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

We have family etc. in our parish who have been exposed to this as it is on the reserves many parishioners visit . There was the funeral for a new mum who passed away from the flu and family members hospitalized as well who attend our parish .Chances are we have been exposed already.
    My dh & I are at the age of risk but I feel I will not miss mass because of exposure .
We have hand sanitizer be cautious after shaking hands etc. we don't go for coffee afterwards but what can we do we can't totally isolate ourselves. We will opt for vaccinization though this fall . I am very low immune but still feel Our Lord does not wish for me to live in a bubble , be cautius yes but parinoid no
not much else we can do .

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

KauaiCatholic wrote:
so it sounds as if pregnant women are at higher risk of contracting it as well as dying from it

The immune system is somewhat supressed during pregnancy so you are higher risk from all infectious diseases while pregnant. But as the others said, swine flu is actually milder than the regular seasonal flus that are around every year.

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

The swine flu is milder, but unlike the regular flu, is more dangerous to younger people. Theory is that those older folks were probably exposed to something similar and have some immunity. Pregnant women who get swine flu tend to get sicker than others. That is why they are recc. the vaccine for them. I wouldn't get to worried about it though. The numbers are still very small. The vaccine won't be ready until Oct. Keep yourself health. Stress is definitely not good for your little one!

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The whole Swine Flu situation has been weighing heavily on my mind as well, since my dd's health is not good to start with.

I found this article helpful (despite its splashy title)... Anne, it does give info from Australia.

Swine Flu

My other concern is should I still sign my kids up for the Good Shepherd Atrium this year? We were sick with one thing after another *all* winter last year. I don't want that again. But am I being extreme by thinking of keeping them home? They love to go.

I'm adding omega-three capsules to their diets (Dr. Sears website has a half-off sale on them through Friday, and they are tiny pills- very easy for kids to swallow).

I'm not sure if the vaccine is worth the possible side effects...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Melinda when I was going out with the kids everyweek.. not only did we try and remember lots of handwashing.. but we'd all dose up with elderberry once we got home.. and we didn't have that constant one cold after another thing.

-Sir Walter Scott

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 1:30am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

if anyone is on the Sonlight Forum - there is a mom there who just attended a medical conference, and she just did a post with A LOT of information. i only am able to read there, not post or PM - so i can't ask her permission to cross post it here. but if anyone else CAN get on there and ask her if it is okay, it really had LOTS of helpful, insightful and knowledgeable info.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Just last night I was talking to my husband about the swine flu and panicing. I basically had myself locked in our apartment the whole Fall season and the first year of the baby's birth!! Thankfully he was able to calm some of my fears and we'll just be very careful.

The only thing he did say was that he'd rather I not get the "new" swine flu vaccine as he is afraid they haven't tested it enough. I'm going to go print out the articles you ladies linked to here to show to him. (He did say though to get the normal flu vaccine so I'll have something at least).

Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

Here are a couple videos about the vaccine. I am very leary of it myself, it has not been tested and I prefer not to be a guinea pig, amongst numerous other reasons.

Will We Have A Choice?

http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/670.html

A yahoo write up:

10 good reasons not to get it
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 31 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

***Moderator's Note***

When the issue of vaccination comes up it is important to remember that this is a topic people tend to feel very strongly about, one way or the other. When discussing this topic please remember that this is ultimately a prudential decision between husband and wife and different families will make different choices based on what they feel is best for their family. We thank you in advance for continuing to share discussion and links in a respectful and charitable tone.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version