Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Young Men's Unit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 30 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Inspired by Jennifer and Elizabeth's unit, I really wanted to create something like this for boys. I started asking around on a Catholic e-mail list that I belong to and found that Mary was looking to do the same thing. We talked about it today and came up with some subjects. Over the next few weeks we'll be working on a book list - anything and everything that might fit into our categories. We wanted to post some things here and get some suggestions from all of you dear people.

Categories:

*History
*Literature (Elizabeth George, Ralph Moody, or anything else)
*Fine Arts (perhaps photography)
*Hanicrafts (carpentry)
*Handiman ("Man Jobs" as Mary says)things around the house
*Natural History looking at (possibly Archimese & Galen & Periodic Table of Elements, you know, those Bethlehm books)
*Work Ethic

Right now we are looking to start with younger boys, 11 or so and working our way up. So, if you have something that we might want to wait on for a little bit older, it would be a great help if you note it as such.

We are looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thank you!

Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Don't forget to use the suggestions by MacBeth. Her tie in with literature and nature study is just so fabulous.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote mary

thanks for posting this, kristen! i'm going to just list some ideas i've had bouncing around.

are there any series portraying a young boy to manhood? the only one i can think of is the ralph moody series that starts with little britches. we are currently reading the first book as part of sonlight's core 4. this series will my boy equivalent of anne of green gables.

other books that may or may not work:
swiss family robinson
the story of john audubon
swallows and amazons
my side of the mountain
gary paulsen books
robinson crusoe
james herriot
the story of a bad boy

fine arts - photography. my son takes a lot of bird pictures, puts them on cards and sells them at the nature center. i'd like to introduce him to photoshop.

handicrafts - would the american boy's handy book work here?

natural history (science?) - archimedes and the door of science, galen and the gateway to medicine, the mystery of the periodic table and the chemical history of a candle. exploring the history of medicine. glues, brews, and goos.   (thanks jennifer for reminding us about macbeth's site!) mathematicians are people too!

faith - john bosco, cure of ars, padre pio, my dear young friends by PJP2 father brown stories

work ethic - created for work and boyhood and beyond

still thinking. . .
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary wrote:
are there any series portraying a young boy to manhood?

Not sure what age you ladies are aiming at but what about Fr Finn's Tom Playfair books. Although old fashioned they have much about being a young Catholic gentleman and excellent virtues. I love them, the boys are real, but decent.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

great idea. i have a list but no hands to type. erin, i love the look of those books - had never heard of them.

m

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote mary

Erin wrote:
Mary wrote:
are there any series portraying a young boy to manhood?

Not sure what age you ladies are aiming at but what about Fr Finn's Tom Playfair books. Although old fashioned they have much about being a young Catholic gentleman and excellent virtues. I love them, the boys are real, but decent.

i have the whole series. my sister's kids loved them. i did try them on my son a few years ago but they completely went over his head. hmm, maybe i will try them again. thanks for reminding me!
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'll be coming back later... I'm trying to do something of this sort, too, combined with medeival history, Fr. Lasance's Young Man's Guide, and the Kolbe Lit. Guides.

Right now I am thinking (some from Kolbe's Lit Guides):

Fellowship of the Ring
Red Badge of Courage (my ds is interested in military history/strategy)
The Yearling
Robinson Crusoe
Howard Pyle's books about King Arthur, Robin Hood

There are more, but I have to go look at my notes. He's also using some Boy Scout merit badge books.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I typed up my plans here - lots more in my folders but no time to type.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

MarilynW wrote:
I typed up my plans here - lots more in my folders but no time to type.

Sorry - I am having trouble with publishing this post - will fix it as soon as I get a chance.

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 1:22am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

The author of Little Women, Louisa May Alcott, wrote a book called Little Men. It also has a portion of the plot about nature study and the boys are homeschooled.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kristen,
Here is the resource list I've used with my three big boys, each with some variation. I'll vary it more the next time, too, but this is the starting point:

Books/Newspapers/Magazines
Apologetics/Catechism
In Conversation with God (Fernandez)
A Philadelphia Catholic in King James’ Court (Kennedy)
Catholic Christianity (Kreeft)
Mere Christianity (Lewis)
We’re On a Mission From God (Bonacci)
Rome Sweet Home (Hahn)
Surprised By Truth (Madrid)
Surprised By Truth II (Madrid)
Welcome Home (Claveau)
Your Questions: God’s Answers (Kreeft)
This IS My Body (Shea)
By What Authority? (Shea)
The Screwtape Letters (Lewis)

History
Christ the King Lord of History (Carroll)

Readers
Out of the Silent Planet (Lewis)
Perelandra (Lewis)
This Hideous Strength (Lewis)
Wise Woman and Other Stories (MacDonald)
The Best of Father Brown (Chesterton)
Huckleberry Finn (Twain)
Bard Of Avon (Stanley and Vennema)
William Shakespeare and the Globe (Aliki)
Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare)
Brush Up Your Shakespeare! (Macrone)
The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare)
Captains Courageous (Kipling)
The Hobbit (Tolkein)
The Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkein)
The Two Towers (Tolkein)
Real Love (Bonacci)
Witness To Hope (Wiegel)
Return of the King (Tolkein)
To School Through The Fields: An Irish Country Childhood (Taylor)
The Best of Beston (Coatsworth)

Poetry
Robert Louis Stevenson: Poetry for Young People (Schoonmaker Bolin, ed.)
Edna Saint Vincent Millay: Poetry for Young People (Schoonmaker Bolin, ed.)
Emily Dickinson: Poetry for Young People (Schoonmaker Bolin, ed.)
William Shakespeare: Poetry for Young People (Kastan, ed.)
Carl Sandburg: Poetry for Young People (Bolin, ed.)
Walt Whitman: Poetry for Young People (Levin, ed.)
Robert Frost: Poetry for Young People (Bolin, ed.)

Writing and Grammar
IEW Structure and Style (available from the Institute for Excellence in Writing www.writing-edu.com)
Writer’s Inc.
The Stewart English Program I (Educator’s Publishing Service)

Critical Thinking and Test Prep
Vocabulary From Classical Roots A (Educator’s Publishing Service)
Vocabulary From Classical Roots B (Educator’s Publishing Service)
Critical Thinking Book One (Critical Thinking Press)

Current Events
Arlington Catholic Herald (www.catholicherald.com)
Envoy (www.envoymagazine.com)

Science and Nature Study
National Geographic (DK Limited)
Eyewitness: Astronomy (DK Limited)
Eyewitness: Electricity (DK Limited)
Eyewitness: Human Body (DK Limited)
Brother Astronomer: Adventures of a Vatican Scientist (Brother Guy Consolmagno)
Star Talker Astronomy Program (Riehle)
One Small Square: Night Sky (Silver)
Keeping a Nature Journal (Leslie and Roth)
Developing Critical Thinking Through Science (Critical Thinking Press)
Lyrical Life Science, Volumes 1, 2, &3 (www.lyricallearning.com)
The Fairy-Land of Science (Buckley)

Math
math-a-day (Pappas)
Elementary Algebra (Jacobs)

Music
The Barefoot Book of Stories from the Opera (Husain)

Art History
Sister Wendy’s Story of Painting (Beckett)

Tapes/CDs
History
The Great Adventure (Cavins)
Salvation History (Hahn)
The Profound Effects of Music on Life (Pudewa) (Institute for Excellence in Writing))
Anne W. Carroll: Hernan Cortes
Anne W. Carroll: The Crusades – Deus Vult
Anne W. Carroll: The Inquisition and the Quest for Justice
Anne W. Carroll: The Protestant Revolt: King Henry VIII
Anne W. Carroll: The French Revolution
Anne W. Carroll: The Spanish Civil War

Music
My Favorite Opera for Children (Pavarotti)
Music Masters Series
Mr. Bach Comes to Call (Classical Kids)
Hallelujah Handel (Classical Kids)
Song of the Unicorn (Classical Kids)
Jazz for Kids (www.childrensguild.org)
Beethoven Lives Upstairs (Classical Kids)

Videos
The Merchant of Venice
Romeo and Juliet
Wynton on Form: Listening for Clues (Wynton Marsalis)
Wynton of Rhythm: Why Toes Tap? (Wynton Marsalis)
Young Peoples Concerts: What Does Music Mean? (Leonard Bernstein)
Young Peoples Concerts: What Is Classical Music? (Leonard Bernstein)
Young Peoples Concerts: What Makes Music Symphonic? (Leonard Bernstein)

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Gee, Elizabeth, had I known you were going to post that here, I would not have spent $30 on a copy of your Transition lessions.   

Little Men was one of my first thoughts. Boy scout merit badge books was also another source that I was going to check into because those little books are so full of information whether the children are scouts or not.

Mary and I are both pretty well set as far as a "curriculum" goes (for this year, anyway) and want to add in some of the "boy" stuff. However, I am still looking into history and other things for the following two years or so and to use with my other boys. I am finding that I could do a "boys study" with several different history periods. That might be where this eventually goes for us, who knows.

I certainly apprecaite all of the input so far. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kristen in TN wrote:
Gee, Elizabeth, had I known you were going to post that here, I would not have spent $30 on a copy of your Transition lessions.   

Sorry Kristen! Actually, the list has been here all the time. I just used the search engine, found it in an old post and re-posted it here. I don't have an electronic version of Transitions or the booklist on my computer--I lost it all in lightning strike.

When Stephen and Nicky are ready for it, I'll start with this list and adapt it for them. I'll probably not doing the daily lessons--the way Transitions is written--ever again though.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've been coming across titles/authors and keep forgetting to mention them.

I was going to mention James Herriot's works especially his series:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.
And his
Every Living Thing

And an apologetics series, but written very captivatingly is Owen Francis Dudley's novels, his "Problems of Human Happiness Series". There are many used copies available. I know there's a reprint available, but I don't like to support them because they don't recognize the current Pope and Magisterium. But the books are great, and I had no problem finding copies.

I see Chesterton is also on Elizabeth's list, and I was thinking Nancy Brown's Book would be good.

Louis de Wohl's historical novels are also excellent for the young age.

I highly recommend Father Hardon's Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan and also Father McCloskey's Lifetime Reading Plan as a guide. At this age, they can just start getting their feet wet but there are many authors that would not be over their heads.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

OOps edited to say that I think I'm thinking about a bit older boys than yours and I cannot remember the exact ages you were looking at. My ideas are mostly more for the 12 and up range, though most of the saints would work for youngers as well.

Look for heros that are in the time periods studied. So in studying Vietnam, we'd read The Grunt Padre. WWII would certainly include St. Maxmillian Kolbe. My boys like reading about battles and weapons so that is included in our studies - but we also read/discuss just war and the virtues and discipline that can be modeled from some of this in great and spiritual causes - the boys respond very, very well to the more military analogies to the faith (ie soldier for Christ, putting on the breastplate of .... from St. Paul). I have a book about the Priests of Dauchau which is fine for my older boys. I know we are interested in digging into the Chinese Martyrs. There were many young men who were early martyrs in ancient Rome. My boys identified with many of these. My science fan son always looks for scientist/science minded saints (St. Maxmillian Kolbe had great skill in math and science and was interested in technology and invention, btw). Another good Saint to read would be St. Ignatius of Loyola. Actually there are quite a few soldier/saints and soldiers who suffered because they had to be faithful to Christ first. There is lots to chew on and discuss in so much of this. There, of course, are Saints who overcame some of the negative influences/addictions - like St. Camilus de Lellis. Others who left the military of their day because they could not support the anti-Christian policies of the government - and whole legions that were martyred together. Of course, we love Saints like St. Dominic Savio who had a very remarkable list of resolutions before his First Holy Communion - including death before sin. His life story, includes examples of how he lived that out in everyday ways. It is very appropriate for all, but especially young men and one of my sons in particular has developed a strong devotion to St. Dominic Savio.

I have lots of ideas and lots of boys - but no time to make a formal list right now. Kristen - you are close enough to us that you're welcome to come by and peruse and ask the boys to show you projects (PM or e-mail me and we can plan a get together). I know our sons have similiar interests and inclinations. I have to be creative to get them to write - but projects adorn most corners of our house.

I will say that whenever we study something, my boys look at pictures (so have lots of pictures of the equipment, buildings and technology) and they go into the garage workspace and make their own models. One of mine doesn't even like or want directions - just a picture. We also read about the pioneers in technology, medicine, science, etc. Many of these folks have some character traits worth emulating - things like perseverance, determination,and a whole bunch of early scientists were, in fact, Catholic priests. We aren't as much into sports here, but I'm sure there are some good sports themes along the same line that will highlight good character and some of these other moms with sports minded families will have more ideas here, I'm sure. Perhaps a movie on Brian Picallo (sp?) for older boys - I don't remember but you certainly would preview before showing - cannot remember if there were any language issues or such.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know what you mean, Janet. I have loads of books/biographies but not all are coming to mind! Your post just reminded me of a few more titles:

Jeremiah Denton's When Hell Was In Session. I read that as a young teen and was really moved.

The Shadow of His Wings, the Franciscan priest who belonged to the SS.

With God in Russia and He Leadeth Me by Walter Ciszek.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Is the text of the Young Man's Guide available online? I'm searching, but haven't turned it up yet.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I don't think so. All catholic books dot com is the cheapest place I have found it tho.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I looked for a copy of Young Man's Guide online and couldn't find it, either. Wish I had a powerful scanner to scan the book to share. I do have a copy, if you want some ideas of content.

My library had this book,
Carpentry for Children
by Lester R. Walker, preface by David Macaulay

Don't be put off by the title. It's written for preteens and early teens and is quite good. No electric tools. Line drawings and photographs.

Along the craft line, I was going to recommend two titles

There's the classic Reader's Digest Crafts and Hobbies which has a wide range of choices. This is not a "girlie" type of book. The choices can inspire anyone.

More attractive is the new Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration by Martha Stewart Living Magazine. My son and I did a side-by-side comparison. While the range of topics are similar, the latter book having a few more, both books have great detail. Ds said he prefers the MS book because of the lovely color photographs. Pleasing the eye does win over -- as the Reader's Digest book only has b&w photos.

I was searching on my shelves and remembered these saint books would be good, especially for young men:

Today is the feast of St. Bernard of Clairvaux, and the best biography I've read is The Family That Overtook Christ by M. Raymond.

Out of print, but a fantastic book, and so appropriate for this year, since he's being canonized October 11 of this year is Damien the Leper by John Farrow (Mia Farrow's father). This is the Image version, older, but somewhat cheaper.

Two by Francis Talbot, SJ:
Saint Among Savages, life of Isaac Jogues

Saint Among the Hurons, life of Jean de Brefeuf, seems to be a rarer title, so I'll not link it to the outrageous prices. Maybe Ignatius Press has plans to reprint it soon.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Thanks! I'll order a copy. My son had already decided to study the Middle Ages this year, and I have so many resources for that. It won't kill me to buy the Young Man's Guide, I guess!      I was thinking this morning that maybe I can divide up his terms & name each one with a theme name (like the girls' baskets). So, perhaps a shield, a sword, etc. Maybe tied into the armor of God? Does Young Man's guide have a theme like that? (I like to design my own planning pages and log book, and the secretary in me just loves putting graphics on the pages. Whatever keeps me motivated & organized!)

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version