Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Young Men's Unit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennyMaine wrote:
Thanks! I'll order a copy. My son had already decided to study the Middle Ages this year, and I have so many resources for that. It won't kill me to buy the Young Man's Guide, I guess!      I was thinking this morning that maybe I can divide up his terms & name each one with a theme name (like the girls' baskets). So, perhaps a shield, a sword, etc. Maybe tied into the armor of God? Does Young Man's guide have a theme like that? (I like to design my own planning pages and log book, and the secretary in me just loves putting graphics on the pages. Whatever keeps me motivated & organized!)

It is based on the "armour of God". Part One is The Panoply of War
The Shield of Faith

The Arrow of the Love of God
The Helmet of Hope
The Lance of the Fear of God
The Sword of Respect for Authority
The Breastplate of Justice
The Girdle of Self-Control
The Bow of Work

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Awesome! Gotta love that!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

What age is the Young Man's Guide geared to? Is it too hard or tmi for 10 year olds?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote mary

i have a ton of books on organic gardening that i'd like to include. my son would like to work on our garden and eventually sell the produce.

is there a good book on basic household repair that would be appropriate for this age?

naturalist books from the book list in pocketful of pinecones:
lives of the hunted by ernest thompson (this is really good)
the story of john j audubon by joan howard
ring of bright water by gavin maxwell
dune boy by edwin way teale
the passionate observer by jean henri fabre
bambi's children by salten
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Real work - mine learn by doing. I guess with an EE for a dh, the boys do an awful lot of real repairs. They also are very much into making things out of wood and designing their own means of locomotion. We do have wires, motors from broken items around the house, batteries galore, and other such stuff. We do a lot of inadvertant recycling because they claim just about everything for their projects. Dad is their safety inspector (sometimes with a bit of encouragement from mom to be a bit more picky - ie make them show you start to finish).

They mentor next to dad and he trains them on how to do things safely. They have tested and replaced wiring with him, removed and replaced the u trap under the disposal that is forever being clogged by the inadvertant popsicle stick that doesn't make it on the project and some toilet repairs. My boys use a lot of real tools - they cannot use the most dangerous stuff unless dad is home (if someone got in trouble with me at home, I wouldn't even know how to find the off button), they have to work in pairs, etc. and only after thorough training and dad's approval (ie they are old enough and responsible enough and he has observed from a distance enough to know that they stay focused) are they allowed to use some of the tools on their own.

The biggest thing with my boys is being in charge of their own projects. So if it is gardening, they really want to be left with a budget and then bring the plan - ie this is what we need. We do not say or have a lot to do with things unless they ask - other than to give a budget and provide some books. Other projects, we try to stay out of unless we just have to do something safety wise (and yes, we do have to tell them a project is off limits until it passes safety inspection). Repairs, well, most of those somehow get done between dh and the boys. He delegates what he knows they are capable of doing - and when he is away, they tell me if there is something they are able to help with that has broken.

We have focused a lot on planning and follow through (including clean up and return of tools to proper home).
                           learning from mistakes
                           considering others - (ie do not leave the helicopter with the straight pin needles on the floor for mom to step on)
                           being careful in measurements and construction. Paying attention to details.
                           treating the tools with care.
                           safety awareness (though doing things daring and dangerous remains a temptation)
                           willingness to chip in and do the dirty job because it needs to be done and you can do it.
                           service to the elderly (and a willingness to listen to exactly how they want the garden weeded or the things done, etc.)
                            doing a job thoroughly and well (For the greater glory of God) and it doesn't hurt that when you do something in a hurry or sloppily, you run out of money from wasted wood, or such or have to spend a lot more time fixing stuff).

Gardening
electrical repairs
building of motors and generators
making weapons, tools, boats, etc. in imitation of a
     time period

diaramos and models. Cotton balls colored black make
    great smoke and those ornament hooks will hang them
     from the ceiling in mock battles, etc.

Scrap wood, mud, army men and some food coloring and a miniature American flag make a great Battle of Iwo Jima model of the raising of the American flag. Then you can read about the photographer and the two pictures (the first flag was rather small and the commander wanted a bigger flag. The picture was of the second flag raising not the initial one).

Books that I would think were deadly dull - my boys love. Specifications of aircraft - boys use that to make scale models in paper. They read every bit of it and can recite all the various and assundry capabilities that are listed. They work until their models reflect size and performance of these aircraft. (The only caveat is that these things are everywhere at times - and there is a whole fleet of British, American, German, Russian, and Japanese planes. There may even be a few French ones thrown in.

The more technological language in there the better. I would be lost and bored to tears. They love to tell me the various improvements made on the submarine - from the time of the civil war to present.

My 12 yo favorite book in terms of fiction was The Swiss Family Robinson. My girls hated that book - well except when the girl came in. My boys liked all the parts except they said the girl ruined the story .

Some of the books from the Middle Ages period that our boys liked:

Men of Iron
Ivanhoe
The Gauntlett
Crusader King

If you are doing the middle ages, save all those soda can flip tops. Those make great chain mail sewn onto an old glove using certain thickness of wire. When that becomes too tedious, then they start working on plate mail (those huge cans you buy from the store all get washed and smashed and reused). We have entire armor in our house- even helmets. Study some heraldy or symbolism. I have a book on the symbols of each of the apostles and many of the saints and all my children ended up with those cloaks (don't even remember what they are called now), but these were emblazoned with their namesakes symbol or herald.

You just need a certain critical mass of boys together and they learn all kinds of leadership skills.

Oh, they made bows and cross bows. Had medieveal tournaments. But we also studied things like the truces declared and such. We read about the Battle of Lepanto.

There is just so much - your boys could be directed in so many different ways for great things. Study the original Jesuits. The founder was a soldier who turned all that training to a highly effective spiritual force for the Lord.

I must admit we haven't been totally organized about this and much of it is just seeing the connections myself as the boys did what they do. I had two girls first and kind of was baffled for a while trying to figure boys out.

The more they explore, do, build, engage in real, physical work; the more sensitive they become to the needs of the rest of the house. They are enamored of all things military - the technology, the battles, the forts and buildings, the combat (struggle to come out on top). When they make a connection to the spiritual battle and to their dad, the better people they become.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Janet,

*Thank you* for that awesome post. My oldest boy is not much of a do-er at this point -- more of a reader -- but my little boys... this is all terrific advice.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

sarahb
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote sarahb

did anyone mention Jack London's books?

Back to Top View sarahb's Profile Search for other posts by sarahb

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

JennyMaine wrote:
I was thinking this morning that maybe I can divide up his terms & name each one with a theme name (like the girls' baskets). So, perhaps a shield, a sword, etc. Maybe tied into the armor of God? Does Young Man's guide have a theme like that? (I like to design my own planning pages and log book, and the secretary in me just loves putting graphics on the pages. Whatever keeps me motivated & organized!)

Dover has some great Clip art Cd's that are great for making notebooking pages!
I have used their medieval collection as well as floral frames and several other titles. I love being able to use them from the computer to create my own pages.
this new release looks good...as well as the illuminated initials, celtic letters and ornamental letters...but I digress...

FYI...don't look too long at Dover..you might just want to bring home the whole store! Barnes and Noble has them btw.

HTH!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Dover is currently having a summer sale!
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 5:25am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

I purchased this at CurrClick and I'm very pleased with it:

Medieval Notebooking

That Dover clip art sure is tempting!

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

First of all, thanks to everyone for contributing to this.

Second, for those of you who were wondering about the Young Man's Guide, I had typed out quite a bit for Mary. She replied to that e-mail again, so I will cut and paste the contents here:

Part First - The Panoply of War

The Shield of Faith
15 chapters about God and one True church

The Helmet of Hope
chapters 16-20, one being "Trust in God: Be of Good Cheer!

The Arrow of the Love of God
chps 21 - 24 including St. Francis Xavier's Hymn of Love

The Lance of the Fear of God
chapters 25 28, not pleasant but profitable, human respect, christian
courage...

The Sword of Respect for Authority
chps. 29 - 39 including a Glance at Nazareth, Honor Father and Mother, etc.

The Breastplate of Justice
chpts. 40-48 about prayer and sacraments and Truth Above All, etc.

The Girdle of Self-Control (how do I explain what a girdle is?    )
chapter 49-52 including Deny Thyself, Take Up Thy Cross, etc

The Bow of Work
Chapters 53-59 including the Serious Side of Life, Work and wages, etc.

Part Second - Conflict and Conquest

The Struggle and the Prize
The Enemy
Defeat
How to Conquer

Part Third - On the Journey of Life

Manhood
With chapters including politeness, cheerfulness, and kindness

Part Fourth - A the Parting of the Ways

Whither Goest Thou?
The Married State
The Priesthood
The Religious State
A Few Concluding Words

Prayers and Devotions
Daily Prayers
Mass Devotions
Confession Devotions
Communion Devotions
The Stations of the Cross
Litanies Approved by the Church
Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament
Prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Prayers to the Blessed Virgin
Various Prayers
Indulgenced Ejaculations and Prayers
The Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Quit
A Rule of Life

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Wow, Kristen, great job! As far as explaining girdle - don't have to - just show a picture of a Roman centurian with all that metal around the lower half - like a "skirt" almost. I think that was girdle in terms of men's armor. If you need me to, I'll look it up in my 1800s dictionary.   

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

If you are looking for anything 'hands on' to add, this Auto Care Curriculum looks good. I ordered it, but haven't seen it yet.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

Bridget, that looks great. Thank you!

Janet, I just read through your post yesterday. Thank you for offering to let me tour your home. I might be taking you up on that one day. John will be 13 in December. It seems people think he is much younger due to his height. I was also thinking along 12 and up, but am certainly open to a little younger which is what Mary is striving for.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just read some recommendations of Adventure and How-to titles for boys that have piqued my interest. I have not seen them, but thought I would post them here. The ages have a wide range, but I do think in today's society some of these skill level is lower in older ages.

I know I have younger boys, but I remember how my two brothers were. They loved to read and find things on their own through books, and then to tell it back to us, as if it was their own discovery. They also learned like Janet says, trial and error on their own, and shadowing and helping Dad and other "workers".

The Outdoor Book for Adventurous Boys by Adrian Besley

The Adventurous Boy's Handbook: For Ages 9 to 99 by Stephen Brennan and Finn Brennan

Back in the Day: 101 Things Everyone Used to Know How to Do by Michael Powell

The Boy Camper: 160 Outdoor Projects and Activities by The Editors of Popular Mechanics

The Boy Mechanic: 200 Classic Things to Build by The Editors of Popular Mechanics

The Boy Mechanic Makes Toys: 159 Games, Toys, Tricks, and Other Amusements (So Many Projects, Not Enough Time!) by The Editors of Popular Mechanics

The Boy Magician: 156 Amazing Tricks & Sleights of Hand by The Editors of Popular Mechanics

I keep forgetting Daniel Carter Beard wrote several other books besides his The American Boy's Handy Book: What to Do and How to Do It

The Field and Forest Handy Book: New Ideas for Out of Doors

The Book of Camp-Lore and Woodcraft

Shelters, Shacks, and Shanties: The Classic Guide to Building Wilderness Shelters

The Fair Weather and Rainy Day Handy Book is about to be released. Looks good for girls and boys.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote mary

thanks jennifer, many of those are on my list but a few were new to me. i really need to start working on our categories and then plug in some of these terrific ideas and see what we have.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version