Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Year for Priests -Activities/Resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kbarry
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 27 2009 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote kbarry

I recently read through the old thread on making a Mary notebook, and was wondering if anyone had given any thought to the year of the priest. So far, I've had few ideas:

-vestments and sacred vessels (could include bishop, pope, etc)
-interview with a parish priest
-St. John Vianney and other great priests
-Gospel passages related to Jesus giving the apostles priestly authority
-how the priesthood has changed through history (Old Testament/Melchizidech on up to present day)
-prayer for vocations

Any additional ideas or thoughts on resources?
Back to Top View kbarry's Profile Search for other posts by kbarry

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

This is such a beautiful idea! We are thrilled that our Holy Father has declared a Year for Priests.

Two favorite websites pertaining to priests;

Vultus Christi the BLOG of a priest devoted to encouraging praying for priests. His posts are always inspiring and thought-provoking.

Another website devoted to praying for priests has prayer booklets and prayer cards available.

Another idea, visit a monastery or seminary.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

One thought would be to make a spiritual bouquet for your priest or for seminarians in your diocese. This site also had lots of ideas for promoting and supporting priests and vocations to the priesthood. You could also try to obtain the plenary or partial indulgence for the Catholic faithful that is being granted during this year.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

What about asking a priest -- local or otherwise -- to be the chaplain of your homeschool? We (well, actually JP did it) "told" a priest that he was the chaplain and the priest was thrilled. We try and have him for dinner at least once a month, have him involved in what we're doing, etc. Once JP's ready (in another year or so!), he will give JP his First Rec/FHC.

I like what MaryM and her crew do with the seminarians -- Mary will you please post about your directory you make and some of the other things y'all have done like the "kitchen shower"?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

They are all great ideas and links. I really want to make sure we do something as a family with this special jubilee.

I have some beautiful news, a friend of mine has just come back from a three year stint in Europe and the US, she has a duel UK citizenship which has enabled her to do all of this.

She worked as a nanny and spent her spare time visiting shrines and monasteries etc. We heard recently she was coming back for a month to say goodbye to us all forever!

She has decided to enter an enclosed order of Poor Clares in Italy, she wants to pray for priests. So guess what day she was asked to enter? 19th of June, feast of the Sacred Heart and the beginning of the Jubilee Year for priests! She has great devotion to the Sacred Heart.. We are so happy for her..

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:29am | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

Last year my First Communion class made an actual spiritual bouquet for our priest's birthday. I tried to insert a picture, but it would not work and a don't have a blog. Sorry! I'll try to explain what we did.

I drew a daisy type flower (about 6 inches in diameter) with 6 petals and had the children write a prayer we said for Father on each petal, such as the Our Father. They then colored the petals and we put two flowers back to back with a green pipe cleaner as the stem. Each child made several flowers, then we placed all of the paper flowers in a vase. We also gave him a spiritual bouquet card that we made.

If you would like to see a picture, I may be able to e-mail one if you pm me.

Edited by moderator to add picture:

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2009 at 2:16am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Your idea reminds me, Theresa, that on Father M's birthday we used to give him a spiritual bouquet. I used to buy silk flowers and attach to each flower the prayers or good works that each member of the family would offer for him. For example, I would pick a lily and attach my prayers of the Magnificant, offering my day to Jesus through Mary, etc. to that flower. My ds might pick a daisy and offer his prayers and works on that particular flower. Father might end up with a hodge podge of flowers, but I know that there were several moms who did this activity.

I also know that Illuminated Ink has a spiritual bouquet card as well.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2009 at 3:02am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm getting really excited thinking about all the possibilities for a priest notebook to compile this year. Great idea!

kbarry wrote:
I recently read through the old thread on making a Mary notebook, and was wondering if anyone had given any thought to the year of the priest.

Any additional ideas or thoughts on resources?

So here are my thoughts to add so far:

Since, during this jubilee year, the pope will also proclaim St. John Vianney to be patron saint of all the world's priests (presently he is considered the patron saint of parish/diocesan priests), a neat idea would be to include pages on different religious orders (ex: Franciscan, Vincentian, Salesian, etc.), focusing on their founders or famous members, charisms or rule, geographical locations, history, etc.

Description of each level of the priesthood/Holy Orders (Diaconate, Presbyterate, Episcopate).

Similar to the notebook Alice did for the Easter Vigil which describes each part of the Vigil Mass, a priest notebook could include indepth information on the Rite of Ordination of Priests. Just a few weeks ago we attended our first priestly ordination and the parts of the ordination rite are so beatuiful and symbolic.
-Election of the Candidates for the Priesthood
-Homily
-Promise of the Elect
-Litany of Supplication
-Laying on of Hands and Prayer of Ordination
-Investiture with Stole and Chasible
-Annointing of Hands
-Handing over the Bread and Wine
-Kiss of peace
   (I'll post the explanations of each part of the rite later so it is here on this thread.)

Names for priests or referring to priests (pastor, parochial vicar, curate, cleric, father, man of the cloth, minister, etc.) and their specific maening and language origin. The Catholic Source Book has a section on this - very interesting. One could focus specifically on:
Quote:
Curate (Latin: cura, care; French cure, curator, overseer)
One with the care (cura) of souls, especially a parish priest (as St. John Vianney, "The Cure of Ars"). Often used for a pastor's assistant or associate.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2009 at 3:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I updated the title of this thread so that we could make it a resource thread for the whole year - similar to the one last year for St. Paul. I'm really excited about all the possiblities for making this a memorable year. So please add your ideas, thoughts, resources, activities.

I read a post at the Aquinas and More blog that I think is something we can all think about and act on.

"We think this jubilee year is a wonderful opportunity to recognize and to honor all the priests in the Church, who touch and transform our lives, who bring us Christ in the holy sacraments, and who act in His place now on this earth. When was the last time you let the priest(s) in your life know how much their service and sacrifice has meant to you and to your family?"

So let's all share ideas for ways that we can let our priests know how important their service and sacrifice is to our families. The spiritual bouquet is one great idea. What are others you have? Post as you have ideas or post what you do throughout the year (with pics if you have them)

(oh, and I will address your post Mary G. regarding our activities with the seminarians here in our diocese when I have a bit more time)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

Thanks Mary for fixing the picture

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 30 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

Hi Carole,

I was surprised a few months ago when I went to Father V's house: he had kept the bouquet and it is in his living room. By the way, Father M celebrated his 50th Anniversary this past month, not sure if you knew.

I think small things we do for our priests can mean alot to them. This upcoming year will be a good time to do something special, even if we might consider it a little thing.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2009 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Wow - awesome ideas. One of my twins always talks about wanting to be a priest - I have told him some of these ideas and he is delighted.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

kbarry
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 01 2009 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote kbarry

Wow, thanks Mary!
Back to Top View kbarry's Profile Search for other posts by kbarry

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 3:55am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

This is a great idea...I'm taking notes.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2009 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

we have made lots of priests friends over the years. I was thinking of giving each one a month and praying/doing things specifically for them that month. I am also going to include our bishop and the Holy Father for one month each and during those months study about how one becomes a bishop/Pope and specifically learn about Pope Benedict during his month. If you don't have enough priests you know to fill up the months, you could learn about specific orders dear to your heart. For example, some of our priest friends are FSSP priests. You could pray for the whole order and study about them.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The picture book Joseph's Hands by Kety Sabatini is a great book for considering a priestly vocation, and the value of the consecrated work of the priest's hands. Rachel May recommended this title and we love it here, too.

Jody has some really nice All Things Catholic cards which include the vessels and vestments.

To give to priests, or for older reading, The Priest is Not His Own by Bishop Fulton Sheen. It's nice to see it reprinted.

That book above just reminded me of two titles done by Bishop Sheen, illustrated with full color photographs. These are OOP, but it looks like readily available:

This is the Mass and These are the Sacraments. I think these would be wonderful visuals to see the role/actions of a priest.

The author Leo J. Trese had a few titles related to the priesthood and for boys. Vessel of Clay: A day in the life of a Priest, Tenders of the Flock, Book for Boys -- I think are the titles that come to mind. Again, OOP. Sorry.

I think my approach would be a little different depending on whether I had boys or girls. If I had girls, besides the above I would focus on ways we can support our priests, like Altar Societies that make and clean linens, pray for our priests. For my boys I would include that, but also encourage in ways to foster possible vocations. I have a few books around that are comic form of various priests and monks....it doesn't have to all be serious to encourage interest.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

wrote:
Partial Indulgence is offered to all faithful each time they pray five Our Father, Ave Maria and Gloria Patri, or any other duly approved prayer "in honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, to ask that priests maintain purity and sanctity of life".

VATICAN CITY, 12 MAY 2009

With a couple of friends, our children made little chaplets of 15 beads. The littlest used chenille sticks. I didn't have any Sacred Heart medals which I thought would have been very appropriate since the Pope is beginning the Year on the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart. Oh well... the girls found some Miraculous Medals.

Thursdays are traditionally dedicated to the Holy Eucharist ... I thought I would try to pray this chaplet with my children on Thursdays during the special year.

I also have tucked away in my mind to pray Evening Prayer together as a family on Friday. The Pope is inaugurating the Year of the Priest at Vespers.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I'd like to pray a novena to St. John Mary Vianney this year as well.
The novena begins on July 27.
His feast day is August 4th.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We just got our weekly diocesan newspaper in the mail today. It looks like they are going to have a 14 day calendar in it each week (or bi-weekly) - for each of the days of that week they have a name/picture of a priest to pray for especially that day. This first week it starts with Pope Benedict, then our archbishop, auxillary bishop and then several local priests. I am so excited for this - I was thinking of something along these lines, but they made it easy for us! If you have a parish directory or information from a diocese website, you could make your own calendar.

Also, I wanted to direct attention to the discussion of Fr. Oak & Company. This is a great idea for the year of the priest - having something tangible and present in the home to be a visible representative to the priestly ministry and his role. Way cool .

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Also Leonardo Defilippis - the actor who has produced many one man (or woman) stage productions (and DVDs and a film) on various saints is working on a St. John Vianney production that will be touring the country. It looks like the kick off shows will be in the Archdiocese of Galveston/Houston in August. You lucky Texas ladies! The calendar shows the locations that have been booked so far. I'm going to check with our diocese and see if there are any plans to bring it here. We aren't currently listed. I think this would be really neat to see. We used to get the Leonardo deFilippis productions at our family's small parish in Oregon when he was just starting out as performer in the Pacific NW in the early 1980s.

Our Domestic Church

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version