Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Year for Priests -Activities/Resources Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 18 2009 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Does anyone have a recommendation on a book by/about John Vianney that would be good? I'm thinking for myself. I don't know all that much about him and would like to add his words to my daily prayer times.
Back to Top View JenPre's Profile Search for other posts by JenPre

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Helen

JenPre wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation on a book by/about John Vianney that would be good? I'm thinking for myself. I don't know all that much about him and would like to add his words to my daily prayer times.
I prefer his Little Catechism over The Sermons but I see that Tan Books also has the Thoughts of the Cure for only $3.00.
Tan Books Page
I need to get the Cure of Ars by Mary Fabyan Windeatt. Even though her books are for children, I have enjoyed and benefitted from each one of her titles.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Three books I can recommend highly:

Neummann Press just reprinted The Man Who Fought the Devil by Eva K. Betz. It was for children, but it's a really, really great book (as all Betz titles are). I think young adult/adult would still enjoy it.

From TAN, The Cure D'Ars -- St. Jean-Marie Baptiste Vianney By: Abbe Francis Trochu. This is a thick volume, but really one of the best bios of this saint (my mother highly, highly recommends).

Out of Print, but Henri Gheon's The Secret of the Cure d'Ars is excellent. You might be able to find a compilation of several of his "secret" series entitled Secret of the Saints.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Thank you Helen and Jenn! I'm off to see what I can get!
Back to Top View JenPre's Profile Search for other posts by JenPre

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Helen

At Vultus Christi, a prayerful blog by a priest mentioned above by Servant, there is the letter by the Pope proclaiming the Year of the Priest The middle of the letter the Pope recounts events from the life of St. John Mary Vianney. This could be a good place to start reading about the Cure.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Helen wrote:
At Vultus Christi, a prayerful blog by a priest mentioned above by Servant, there is the letter by the Pope proclaiming the Year of the Priest The middle of the letter the Pope recounts events from the life of St. John Mary Vianney. This could be a good place to start reading about the Cure.

I've come across this blog a few times in the past. Such a wonderful resource! I hadn't seen this letter from the Pope either. I'm off to print it out to bring to Adoration with me later on today!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Does anyone know if there's a priest paper doll available somewhere? I found a JPII paper doll book (from Dover, IIRC) with all kinds of papal vestments, but not a regular priest one :). I told dd I'll make her one if we can't find one pre-made. If I do make it I'll be happy to share.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Helen wrote:
...but I see that Tan Books also has the Thoughts of the Cure for only $3.00.

I absolutely LOVE my "Thoughts" book!

I am also borrowing this one from a friend, but I see it's OOP and hard to find at a reasonable price: Eucharistic Meditations

The Vision Books have The Priest Who Out-Talked the Devil.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I was poking around Amazon for some of the titles mentioned here and found Fulton Sheen's The Priest Is Not His Own. That one might be a good study for this year.

Also, anyone know if it is officially called the "Year of the Priest" or the "Year for the Priest". I have seen it both ways.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Matilda wrote:
I was poking around Amazon for some of the titles mentioned here and found Fulton Sheen's The Priest Is Not His Own. That one might be a good study for this year.

Also, anyone know if it is officially called the "Year of the Priest" or the "Year for the Priest". I have seen it both ways.

I love reading Fulton Sheen! Thank you for the link.

While reading Pope Benedict's letter this afternoon he said "Year for the Priest". So maybe that's the "official" title? I too have seen it both ways though!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Viviane posted this question in the priest book thread at the Book Club forum. Thought I'd move it here too since we are discussing resources for our children/families.

KauaiCatholic wrote:
can anyone help with priestly books for the younger set? I have several Vision/Windeatt books on order that I plan to read to my dc, but am looking for more on their level.

I browsed around Amazon for a while and came up with "Joseph's Hands" by Kety Sabatini and "What Does a Priest Do? What Does a Nun Do?" by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe, but I'm just going off the Amazon reviews. anybody here have any advice?

I really like this idea, btw. just trying to make it elementary-age friendly, and many of the books mentioned so far seem a little beyond that ...

So just a heads up if anyone here is interested... there is an adult book thread on priests (though some children's books have been mentioned) here.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Matilda wrote:

Up until the last week or so I had only seen it refered to as the "Year of the Priest." In March when the info first came out CNS, National Catholic Register, and other news sources were refering to it that way. I only first saw it as "Year for the Priest" with the publicity of the past weeks and it does look like it is officially "Year for Priests" - the offical logos which have jsut come out would indicate this name is what will be used.

I am confused - it is pretty set in my mind as year of the priest so I'm going to have a hard time making the adjustment - but am going to go change the topic subject line now...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And a larger logo you can print off and use as a coloring page or notebook cover.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 19 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Servant2theKing wrote:
We are incredibly blessed that Pope Benedict has declared "The Year for Priests", from Jun 19, 2009 through Jun 19, 2010! This is such an important time to be praying for our priests. Here are some important websites to assist us in observing the Year for Priests. Please pass this information along and encourage fellow Catholics to pray continually for all priests...they sacrifice their lives so that we might share in the life of Christ!

http://yearforpriests.blogspot.com/

http://vultus.stblogs.org/year-of-the-priest-20092010/

www.opusangelorum.org

We have put together a prayer binder devoted to this special time for priests and have created a small altar for this purpose. Thursdays are traditionally devoted to praying for priests...Fridays might also be appropriate since priests are so united with Our Lord's Passion. The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary also serve as beautiful inspiration for meditating on the life of priests.

Our Domestic Church

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2009 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Amanda

Wow, it seems as if this would be the perfect year for a project I keep thinking of for my ds and/or homeschool group. I've wanted to have my son interview a number of priests, focusing on their childhoods and young adulthoods. Then he could write up the interviews and (after letting the priests review them) put them in a small booklet. My hope is that it would be a good way to help kids realize that priests were "regular kids" once, too, and so possibly get them thinking about vocations.

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2009 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Amanda

stefoodie wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a priest paper doll available somewhere?

CHC's Catholic Family Paper Dolls e-book has a priest paper doll, I believe.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 22 2009 at 1:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some additional web resources:

Official Vatican website - Annus Sacerdotalis

This is the prayer for priests from that site:

Lord Jesus,
In Saint John Mary Vianney you have deigned to give the Church a living image of yourself and a personification of your pastoral charity.

Help us during this Year for Priests to live good lives by being close to him and his example.

Grant that we may learn from the saintly Curé of Ars how to rest contentedly before the Holy Eucharist; to know that only your Word enlightens us each day; to know how tender is the love with which you welcome repentant sinners; how consoling is the confident abandonment to the care of the Holy and Immaculate Mother; how necessary is the ever-vigilant battle against Evil.

Grant, O Lord Jesus, that from the example of the holy Curé our young men may once again realise how necessary, humble and glorious is the priestly ministry which you wish to entrust to those who open themselves to your call.

Grant also to our communities - as once your did at Ars - those wonders of grace which you bring about when a priest knows to “make his parish a place of love”.

Grant that our Christian families may find their home to be within the Church – where your ministers may always be found – and that they may enrich the domestic hearth with the beauty of the Church.

Grant that the Charity of our pastors may enliven and enkindle the Charity of all the faithful, so that every vocation and every charism, given by your Holy Spirit, may be welcomed and honoured.

But above all, O Lord Jesus, bestow upon us the ardour and truth of the heart that we may come before your Heavenly Father, making our own the same words that St. John Mary Vianney prayed to Him:

I love You, O my God and my sole desire is to love You until the last breath of my life.

I love You, O infinitely lovable God and I prefer to die loving You than live one instant without loving You.

I love You, O my God, and I do not desire anything but heaven so as to have the joy of loving You perfectly.

I love You, O my God, and I fear hell, because there will not be the sweet consolation of loving You.

O my God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love You, I want my heart to say it in every beat.

Allow me the grace to suffer loving You, to love you suffering and one day to die loving You and feeling that I love You.

And as I approach my end, I beg you to increase and perfect my love of You.   AMEN.

USCCB Year for Priests page

This is the prayer that the USCCB has suggested people pray this year:

Dear Lord,
we pray that the Blessed Mother
wrap her mantle around your priests
and through her intercession
strengthen them for their ministry.

We pray that Mary will guide your priests
to follow her own words,
“Do whatever He tells you” (Jn 2:5).

May your priests have the heart of St. Joseph,
Mary’s most chaste spouse.

May the Blessed Mother’s own pierced heart
inspire them to embrace
all who suffer at the foot of the cross.

May your priests be holy,
filled with the fire of your love
seeking nothing but your greater glory
and the salvation of souls.
Amen.

Saint John Vianney, pray for us.

What beautiful prayers.

Our Domestic Church

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Lapbooks for Catholics has The Year of the Priest faith folder.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2009 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Here is our plan for making spiritual bouquets for priests throughout this year.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 01 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Does anyone know of a source for inexpensive (bulk) St. John Vianney medals? I usually get medals for our homeschool group activities from Autom because they have good bulk prices and selection - but they don't have one for the Cure d'Ars...

Our Domestic Church

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version