Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Author Studies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2009 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've finally organized all my picture books by author. I've tried organizing them by theme in the past, but I think it will be easier to find them this way. As I was puting the stacks on the shelves it occurred to me that I have lots of books by Jan Brett, Tomie De Paola, and others. I decided for this coming year, I would do an "author of the month" sort of thing with my kids. We'll choose a different children's author each month and read all the books we can by that author and maybe learn a bit about the person too. So, I'm just wondering, which authors do you find worthy of such a study? The kids I would be doing this with are ages 2 to 10.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 18 2009 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky,
Did you know about Cay's Author Fiesta? She has provided some really great resources we've loved there!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2009 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I have that link bookmarked from a long time ago but I forgot about it. (I have way too many bookmarks! ). I have A Picture Perfect Childhood sitting on my shelf too. Thanks for reminding me about the great resources I already have! (It's definitely time to get organized around here! )

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 19 2009 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is the list of picture book authors that Cay included in the Author Fiesta studies she did back in 2004 and 2005 - before the blog site. Lots of good ones there.

Mary Azarian
Allan and Janet Ahlberg
Jim Arnosky
Marguerite deAngeli
Jim Aylesworth
Janice Levy
Candace Fleming
Cheryl Harness
Ellen Jackson
Virginia Kahl
Verla Kay
David Wiesner

(1) *Aliki
(2) *Kathi Appelt
(3) *Molly Bang
(4) *Jill Barklem
(5) *Jan Brett
(6) *Marcia Brown
(7) *Margaret Wise Brown
(8) *Eve Bunting
(9) *Virginia Lee Burton
(10)*Eric Carle
(11)*Nancy White Carlstrom
(12)*Barbara Cooney
(13)*Demi
(14)*Tomie de Paola
(15)*Richard Paul Evans
(16)*Paul Galdone
(17)*Michael Hague
(18)*Russell and Lillian Hoban
(19)*Trina Schart Hyman
(20)*Susan Jeffers
(21)*Ezra Jack Keats
(22)*Steven Kellogg
(23)*John Langstaff
(24)*Lois Lenski
(25)*Astrid Lindgren
(26)*Arnold Lobel
(27)*Max Lucado
(28)*Patricia MacLachlan
(29)*Robert McCloskey
(30)*Gerald McDermott
(31)*Josephine Nobisso
(32)*Bill Peet
(33)*Marcus Pfister
(34)*Patricia Polacco
(35)*Beatrix Potter
(36)*Cynthia Rylant
(37)*Allen Say
(38)*Maurice Sendak
(39)*Shel Silverstein
(40)*Peter Spier
(41)*Eileen Spinelli
(42)*Robert Louis Stevenson
(43)*Hilda Van Stockum
(44)*Dr. Suess
(45)*Tasha Tudor
(46)*Nadine Bernard Westcott
(47)*Gloria Whelan
(48)*Laura Ingalls Wilder
(49)*Audrey Wood
(50)*Jane Yolen
(51)*Harriet Ziefert
(52)*Charlotte Zolotow

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 19 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Becky.......I still do this all of the time.......even though my kids are 12 and up.......with that one wee 7yo.

Sometimes it is an author recommended here or there......eg. our most recent one after a book recommended by Bridget on her blog........

sometimes it is a book we liked from the library........or perhaps one I have a copy of my own....

But, I can tell you.........my kids, at the same age as yours.......LOVED Bill Pete and Steven Kellogg! They were hilarious!

The only one my kids did not like......nor did I.......and we were so disappointed.........we WANTED to like her books.......was Margaret Wise Brown

Whatever author I do.......I just go online to the library site and order all the ones they have.

Sometimes......USUALLY we take longer than a month..........and most of the time.......we do not do any activities with them........we just read and enjoy.

This is a really fun, low stress thing to do.......while encouraging literature and making family memories.

Other favorites:

Jan Brett
Virginia Lee Burton
Barbara Cooney
Cynthia Rylant
Tasha Tudor

Right now we are doing:

Ferida Wolff

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 19 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We've got an author study for every letter of the alphabet at Serendipity. Some of the haven't been updated yet. I think they're there up from "A" through "K" and then starting again at "T" through "Z". We're working on the rest of the links

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for the great lists Mary and Chari! I find it interesting to hear/see what other people's favorite authors are. And Elizabeth, I've been spending lots of time at the Serendipity site lately. What a LOT of work you have done. I wish I could be a "fly on your wall" and see how you use all these neat ideas in person. I just think about it and get overwhelmed. So, I pick and choose for now.
For our studies next year I decided to go through all our picture books and pull out some that are by the same author. I know I have almost every Jan Brett and Tomie DePaola book written. I will definitely use those two authors. I also have alot of Ezra Jack Keats and Virginia Lee Burton. I only have one book by Jim Arnosky (Deer at the Brook) but my kids love it. I have a bunch of his on my wishlist at Amazon for next year.
I wish I could rely on our library more, but it's just not very good as far as selection goes. So, I've been collecting picture books for a very long time. I know I have authors down on the shelves in the classroom that I can't even remember. This summer I will be pulling everything off the shelves and grouping them by author, putting them in ABC order. It should be fun to see what I can use. These are all books that the kids have heard, but many haven't been pulled off the shelves in at least a year or two. I think it will be interesting to tie in a few facts about the authors and see the similarities in their work.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2009 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote Chari

That sounds like a great idea, Becky!

And, then...see if your library has anything to round it out.

Also......sometimes friends can fatten your home library temporarily........

maybe you could do one author.....and a friend another.......and then you could switch.......and share the books.

You could even purchase them that way......she buys some.......you buy others......

Have a great time, doing one of my favorite things!!   

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Doris Burn
Laurel Long
Barbara Cohen
Sibyl VonOlfers
Max Lucado
Marianna Mayer
Favorite Authors for Christmas