Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: pretty little ways Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

SuzanneG wrote:
I'm definitely motivated by a LIST to checked off. Pretty paper with a bunch of things to get crossed off on my clipboard is motivating to me...   Maybe change something about that or fit it in a differnet time period can make a big difference. ie: having a yummy smelling counter spray helps motivate me to clean off the kitchen counters at night.

At Motivation for the Mundane I was struck by Suzanne's description of using pretty paper for her clipboard. I also carry a clipboard...with legal yellow pads . I was struck by her yummy smelling counter spray. Mine has no smell at all . All of this has me pondering...and concluding...that I'm *pretty and yummy* environmentally impaired!

Could all of you pretty and yummy geniuses help me out, please?! What pretty little ways bring you a smile, make a task more pleasing, make your home more inviting. I just started using candles for our bedtime routine...that's pretty .

Thanks, Suzanne!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 21 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

pretty paper????

how simple is that!

I like it!

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

a pretty apron to wear while I work...last week, I was throwing out some flowers i had on the kitchen table and stuck a gerber daisy behind my ear while I cleaned...it kept me joyful.
I like to light a candle in the room I'm headed to next a few minutes before I'll get to it...then by the time I get there to clean, it smells nice, and I'm motivated to make the room match the smell!
Open windows in the spring get me moving...everything seems fresh and lovely with sunlight and a breeeze.
Nice cleaning supplies in a pretty basket are a motivation for me too...it's funny how the visual appeal really does have an effect on us...
Tablecloths on the table and a vase full of fresh flowers somewhere in the kitchen are my favorite ways to make our home cheerful and welcoming. Even a mason jar full full of purple asters from the front ditch can be charming if you let it .
Vintage anything makes me happy...I can't afford to outfit out home quite like the country magazine that I love, but a vintage linen on the mantle or a depression glass for the bathroom counter make me love the feel of my home. I recently caught an estate sale at my favorite flea market and picked up vintage embroidered mantle cloths that matched liturgical seasons...one with only purple for lent, one with pink and blue flowers for the easter season, one with only green for ordinary time, one with blue for the month of May...the purple one is on the mantle now, and every time I see it, I feel satisified. BTW, I got them for three dollars each!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I would even go one step further and make a pretty clip board. Here and here are some inspiration.
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 21 2009 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I absolutely love being surrounded by pretty, girly things as ways of motivating or sweetening mundane chores....

**aprons
**Mrs. Meyers - choose a favorite scent, this is what I use to wipe down counters in the kitchen and bathroom and it does lift the senses.
**pretty baskets
**pretty paper (I have all the notepads and I love these for making lists!)
**covering steno or plain spiral notebooks with pretty wrapping paper or scrapbook paper and using them to list long term projects or even daily to-do's.
**finding the pretty font on my word processor program to make a menu or grocery list pretty...adding small victorian images to the corner so there's something pretty to look at.
**using white binders to organize projects but spending a little time to make a pretty cover with scrapbook paper and supplies
**LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a pretty clipboard
**smallish collections of vintage white pottery and milk glass in my kitchen...just something so pretty about this collection and it's lovely for me to look at, but it saddens me to see my cabinet all cluttered with baseball cleats and mail and garden seeds...so I'm motivated to keep it tidy so the collection of whites stands out.
**pink gloves for cleaning toilets to coordinate with my pink apron
**sweet smelling beeswax for polishing the old, scratched, dearly loved and everyday working kitchen table - it transforms it and smells so nice in here once it's polished.
**fresh flowers on the table
**pretty, white, lacey tablecloths (all found secondhand)
**thrift store baskets, ceramics and glass in pretty vintage colors and designs for storing soap, cleaning supplies, etc. I like finding old linens there as well.

I am very visual, and I **need** an activity - mundane especially - to have as much pretty (sights, smells, coordinating clothes) as it can!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I'm short on time but I will say that I too love pretty details. So much around me is clutter and toys and books and clutter and more clutter (we are 12 people living in 1500 sq. feet!) so pretty little things make me feel like a queen! :) I have also noticed that I can scrub a toilet till it sparkles, clean the oven, and mop the floors and no one will say boo about it, but if I put some pretty flowers in a vase, or even just some dandylions in a mason jar with a bright ribbon - everyone ooohhs and aaaahhhhs like I redid the kitchen or something!   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you all...and keep the ideas coming!

Inspired by you, I went back to something pretty that I loved in the past...but dropped somewhere along the line of mothering 3 boys ...essential oils. I purchased some to add to cleaning supplies and some to place in misters to scent the air. I also found perfume oils to add to misters. More on this after the supplies arrive and I get to work!

I also remembered a pretty little way for wrapping gifts. I purchased this gift bag assortment of colored paper bags, write message or draw picture on bag when flat, open bag and toss in small gifts, fold the top over, hole punch twice (use single hole puncher), lace ribbon. (These bags can also be used for making animal puppets.)

Have a great week!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote trish

Something so simple but makes a huge difference in my kitchen is a pretty table cloth.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 23 2009 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I'm redoing my kitchen this afternoon with dandelions!       Thanks Lisbet.

Angie, what is an essential oil? and what cleaning products do you put them in?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

flowers on the windowsill over the kitchen sink (even if it's not all clean and pretty first.. and just in a jar or cup and just dandelions the littles pick out of the yard) make it more pleasant to do dishes there.. a clean window to look out of also makes dishes more pleasant.. or a spicy fresh candle can make it nice.. I had a citrus ginger one that was perfect for in the kitchen.. fresh smelling but with that hint of spice from the ginger.. but even ginger has a fresh smell. Makes standing over dirty dishes MUCH more pleasant

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Mackfam wrote:
pretty baskets
**pretty paper (I have all the notepads and I love these for making lists!)

You ladies have me humming Christmas carols in my head.

Lisbet wrote:
...if I put some pretty flowers in a vase, or even just some dandylions in a mason jar with a bright ribbon - everyone ooohhs and aaaahhhhs like I redid the kitchen or something!   

I usually get asked Who's coming over? I think they're finally catching on that Momma just likes pretty.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here are a couple fun links for inspiration at Dawn's:

Pretty Little Notebooks

The Clipboard Corner

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

This is so timely Angie as I have been thinking and working on the same things around here. This past weekend we pulled my daughters' tea cup collection out of their closet and relocated them to a cabinet in our dry bar area (80's house...they all have bars!). I decided to take a couple and put them on the window box over my kitchen sink and have been smiling at them all weekend. Two of them are Mary Englebreit tea cups. How can you not smile at Mary Englebreit? They have also inspired me to scrub the kitchen sink a little more frequently than normal and tidy up the clutter around them so that they stand out a little more. It is a very pretty little thing that has had a big impact over here!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Oh, and I'd like to know what you mean about using candles for your bedtime routine!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Merciful Heavens!!!!! Look what I just found on Etsy: Personalized Altered Clipboards by Clipboards by Dana!!!! Aren't they cute?? Or just punch in "Designer Clipboard" and there will be MORE!!!! So PRETTY!!!!

ETA: More Clipboards from Fancy Frames Boutique

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh Suzanne, I was just about to log out when I saw this topic bumped...just seeing it makes me happy! Goodness, I did implement some pretty little ways and had meant to take pictures to share...then life happened...but I really *do* want to show you what I came up with...and thank you for all the inspiration.

And yes, the clipboards are awesome!

OK...maybe tomorrow I'll get to those pictures . Thanks for bumping.

Love,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm bumping this thread because it was so fun, and I enjoyed it so much! Angie linked it on another thread recently, and I had just been thinking about it! I was happy to find it again!

I'm adding some other *pretty* motivators I've found:

** Pretty barrettes or hair clips - no matter how disheveled I look, a pretty hair clip is cheery.

** A pretty bouquet of seasonal *something*. I used to think only fresh flowers were for bringing inside and putting in vases...but I've learned that there is so much more! Right now we have a pretty bouquet of October Glory Red Maple leaves gathered together that are truly stunning. They're fiery red and look lovely in a white cream pitcher on the table! In the winter there are small twigs that are sometimes reddish that look quite pretty when all gathered together, and pussy willows will force open if you snip a few off and bring them inside. Evergreens look nice tucked in creamy white vases during the cold winter months, and anything with red berries is festive!

** I like to leave a book or magazine with a pretty cover on my bedstand. It's inviting to me, and sometimes I only set it out so I can look at the cover.

** I pretty ribbons. I fell in love with a rich velvet set from the Sundance catalog and find I use it all over my home - to hang stockings, to tie a beloved set of magazines together for gift giving, to hang our Advent wreath, to disguise a utilitarian piece of wire that holds a basket in place on the wall by my phone. I watch for scraps and snips of pretty ribbon from thrift stores and attached to vintage linens. (HT goes to Lindsay for mentioning the Sundance ribbon that I fell in love with!)

** I enjoy making my own beeswax polish now. It's so much more economical and quite easy. My home's furnishings are modest...and well loved...with lots of character. You know what I mean, don't you? So, adding this simple polish to warm things up and bring out the wood is really satisfying and makes everything so lovely!

** I recently freshened my kitchen. I challenged myself to spend nothing. I was lacking pretty. All of the materials I used to spruce up my kitchen and my windows were "found" items reclaimed from another part of my home. It was really motivating and inspiring to do something a little different in there. Probably not everyone's style, but it feels cheery and welcoming to me and I keep getting compliments from my husband. So, I'm very happy.

I'd love to hear more of your ideas for pretty little ways to make home.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

And...I'm not losing this thread again! Clicking on Add this topic to My Favorites right now!!!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

candles! in these dark winter days.. having a candle or two in the living room going.. especially when dh is due home is so very cheerful and welcoming.. and yummy scented ones are a bonus

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

etsy is just fabulous for prettifying.

as a gift to me and to my loved ones who plan to buy gifts for me, I went to Etsy and marked a bunch of things (mostly under $5) as "favorites". i then gave my account name and password to the family and let them buy for me.

some of the things i've put on my "favorites" list:

pretty teacup, i like chintzy things, not necessarily shabby chic, but preferably made in england as there's just a quality there that's missing in other items

antique serve ware (i mean spoons and forks and tongs, etc.) -- especially those with intricate designs on the handle, some can be had for around $3

i got my floral folders from Tuesday Morning

i love candles but only the "look" -- the smells bother me and give me a headache

if you like pretty paper, paper mojo has everything you need. papermojo.com i get Rossi papers and other things with Florentine designs on them. i'm thinking of wrapping up some boxes that i have here to prettify some more, like my index card box, and my pen holder.

vera bradley bags! get them on clearance!

printables -- susan branch has some on her website all the time. alice cantrell too.

fountain pens.

my kitchen is totally utilitarian though. think whites and chromes and blacks. maybe in the spring i'll take off the wallpaper and do some painting. i'd love to have some fruit-themed paintings all around.

flowers are everything! but they can get expensive. in the spring i plan to get some more plants from bluestone perennials to fill up the yard with some flowers that are good for cutting and/or drying.

look on ebay for cath kidston or greengate stuff. hubby brought home some floral greengate spoons for me from germany. just looking at them makes me sigh. they're not cheap, but every once in a while there's a small item that's affordable.

eyelet and lace. 'nuff said.

and nothing else puts me in a pretty mood as much as classical music playing softly in the background. and of course, tea! i love me some french bleu earl grey. the blue flowers in the tea are just pretty-pretty-pretty.

my current culinary obsession, macarons, are very pretty:)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version