Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Modified Choral Reading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

THE STORY:
(For just THE METHOD, look at bottom of post.)

Last year around this time, I took (then 9yo) ds to an eye doctor who specializes in reading difficulties. After a thorough exam, he said that ds's eyes were fine. The Dr. asked me to describe my concerns and in particular how I perceived ds's educational strengths and weaknesses. (Ds is bright, athletic, great gross motor skills, challenges with fine motor skills, can see a bird in a tree that no one else sees, finds stuff - our Little St. Anthony - good memory, enthusiastic retellings of stories, good attention span, patient, willing to work, etc.) Next, the Dr. handed ds a book and asked him to read it. Ds "sounded out" a word slowly then said the next word quickly.   The next time ds started to sound a word out, the Dr. immediately told him the word. This went on until ds finished the paragraph. Then the Dr. asked him to read the paragraph again. The same procedure but ds finished more quickly. The Dr. asked him to read it again. This time ds read it perfectly.

Then (here comes the humble pie part) the Dr. looked at me and said, "Just what I thought, you have been teaching him how to read the wrong way." Yikes! He went on to explain...

Ds is a "minority" type of reader. He is more global and struggles with the details. (I knew that.) When he "sounds out" a word, he gets bogged down. He will try to memorize words (sight words) but will mix them up, especially the little words, because "they look alike." Because he is bright and energetic, he is insulted by dumbed down easy readers because they don't have the complexity of story that he needs to make the reading interesting. The Dr. suggested we use the method he just used. He said not to worry about "interrupting" ds or be concerned that ds was "just memorizing." He explained that his own daughter learned in a similar fashion. I left the office seeing how the method was done but received no other guidelines so the method below is my version on the theme.

Within one month, ds had increased his reading by at least 2 grade levels. This increase is directly linked to finding this method which was the perfect fit for him. Although there needed to be some level of developmental readiness, ds and I had felt that he was ready to read better but that something wasn't "clicking." It is one year later now and ds can read the morning Gospel readings independently! We continue to use this method on a daily basis with all his reading informally and formally we are reading Treasure Island. He can read two pages within 15 minutes with minimal help…woo hoo!

THE METHOD:

1. Choose a book above student's current reading level. We encouraged ds to choose the book based on interest and perceived "this is a REAL book." He ended up choosing a DK high level easy reader about baseball.

2. Sit on the couch next to each other with book held in front by student.

3. Mom may need to use book marker to keep both readers on same line.

4. Have student begin reading.

5. As soon as student slows down, say the word immediately. Child will repeat word (most of the time) and continue reading.

6. Move quickly.

7. Time sessions, starting with a few minutes. Increase with tolerance. Push past comfort zone but not to misery!

8. Identify patterns. Often this type of reader will read “harder words” while stumbling over small words such as and, but, and had.

9. For the competitive type, keep track of how fast the child finishes a paragraph or page as well as how many times you needed to help him. (Aiden is super competitive and loves a challenge so we made a chart and he filled it in. The good news is that this tracking could be used successfully with most children because most will improve with repeated readings .) When he mastered a book, we would put it in a “mastered” bin for independent reading.

10. BOOT CAMP: Aiden was so eager to read that I gave him the option of a reading boot camp. Each day he would use this method four times a day. I would use it twice a day using the most difficult book. His dad and sister would do it once a day each, using picture books. We did this for one month and saw such a big improvement! He was able to master many books this way which increased his confidence.

I've been wanting to share this for some time. Getting it in writing has proven to be a challenge! If I haven't made sense please let me know and I'll be glad to clarify.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thank you THANK you Angie!

My dd is JUST like this. I had heard about this type of thing, and briefly tried it, but got bogged down in thinking "no I should teach her like all the others" and "I'm giving her a crutch if I teach like this - I'm reading for her". Thank you for your story - you are giving me the push to try this in earnest now.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I've been meaning to post on this for days now. I'm definately going to try this with mt ds7. This sounds great for him because he gets "tired" of sounding out.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh good...I will look forward to hearing if this approach helps any other child.

Modification Idea: If you have a fidgety child, move to a table and place the book on the table to keep the book still. (We currently sit on the couch because I'm often nursing at the same time...which Amy already knew .)

Important Thought: I can't stress enough that Aiden, himself, was SO determined to read. This wasn't something that was pushed on him. I'm sure that his desire had much to do with the success.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here's a related thread, in case you missed it.

Love,

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2005 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Angie,

So interesting! My middle one was like this. She was a later reader than my first, and I finally ealized one day that I needed to sit with her, let her see the book and the words, and then she'd retain them. I love your explanation of how to implement. Congrats to Aiden on his leaps and bounds!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Angie,

Since reading this post I've been trying to really observe my oldest while she/we read. She really DOES miss many more easy words than the longer, harder ones.

When she does things like say "saw" for "was" or "the" for "them" (or any other number of crazy substitutions I've heard lately ) do I just quickly correct her even though she may have gone on to the next word already? It's easy to correct the ones she is slowly sounding out, because she's slow then.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2006 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

Angie,

I would like to revisit this topic to get your opinion on the post above, Amy asked

Since reading this post I've been trying to really observe my oldest while she/we read. She really DOES miss many more easy words than the longer, harder ones.

When she does things like say "saw" for "was" or "the" for "them" (or any other number of crazy substitutions I've heard lately ) do I just quickly correct her even though she may have gone on to the next word already? It's easy to correct the ones she is slowly sounding out, because she's slow then.

My dd9 does this as well, so I am interested in your answer.

God Bless
Robynn in Lancaster, CA
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Good to see you here, Robynn! Thanks for reposting this question. I do correct as we go along even if he gets ahead (although sometimes he gets to reading quickly and I'll miss it.) Yes, he will back track and read the little word and continue on from there. Since ds is very much the "big picture" reader, he appreciates that even the misreading of a little word can throw off his understanding.

I'll look forward to hearing back from you all on what is working and not working for you with this method!

Love,

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2006 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Angie, I was very interested in your post. This sounds so much like John. It makes me crazy how he can read big words but stumbles over "this", "as", "was", etc.

I'm going to try the modified choral reading!
Thanks for this idea!!

I already know about finding books to keep his interest. I think that I have every "I Can Read" book Levels 3 & 4 about history that has been written!

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Angie,

I tried this with my almost 9yo non-reader this week, and it was amazing! He isn't thrilled with the method (he feels like I am rushing him), but he is suddenly reading!

Thanks so much!
Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MichelleW wrote:
Angie,

I tried this with my almost 9yo non-reader this week, and it was amazing! He isn't thrilled with the method (he feels like I am rushing him), but he is suddenly reading!

Thanks so much!
Michelle

Isn't it something, Michelle? I'm convinced that when applied to the right need and applied at the right time, this process helps the brain to make connections quickly.

Aiden is to the point where now I'm even saying "pause" when he tries to skip over a comma or other punctuation.

Here's another recent development, I showed Aiden what it looks like when I "push" my reading. I picked a page from Treasure Island and read it as fast as I could. I stumbled over words, missed punctuation, and was out of breath at the end. He thought this was hilarious. I asked him if he could "push" his reading too. He obliged, and to his surprise, he read rather quickly. While doing this I didn't correct...no time . This quick exercise helped him to feel the level of concentration and energy needed sometimes to do difficult work. It also made me feel very sympathetic for him.

I'm especially grateful that Aiden is a rough and tumble kind of child. I'm not sure how I would tackle this with a very sensitive child. Are any of you working with sensitive children?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version