Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: How we think- 6. Summary & Stories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Right Willa. I remember the discussion on Blink and I know I mentioned it sounds like intuition.. but I haven't actually read that book.

But yes, and you also have to allow yourself to trust your intuition.. when you don't that's when you get people saying "I knew I shouldn't have..." how did they know? likely intuition but they choose not to trust it.

I've always felt that it should be trusted.. more often than not it ends up being right. But as I've said before not to the exclusion of common sense. Just because you think you should trust someone and you're more than likely right.. doesn't mean that it's worth the risk to put yourself into a dangerous situation.. because there is that chance that it could still be wrong.

But it also doesn't make sense to me to not trust something that can be right 80% or even 90% of the time.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2009 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I just updated the second post of this topic to include a brief reminder sheet in a Word Document format at Scribd to print and display or carry. This is my first time using Scribd so please let me know if you have any problems with access or printing. It didn't copy exactly as it views in my Word doc. but it's close enough, just ignore the breaks in the outline .

Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for making the document more helpful. I want to show when all is working together smoothly, actions trigger truthful thoughts which lead to appropriate feelings and mood as well as reactions that are fitting, shown by our behaviors. Intuition can be tapped into at any point by opening, loosening, to God's grace. All of this stands on a foundation based on a well-formed conscience and the Catholic faith. Below the top 3 lines are reminders of where we can go astray in our thinking and attitudes as well as help to distinquish between different types of difficulties we face. At the bottom is a space to add personal goals and motivations for developing the habit of identifying all of the above!

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2009 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thank you Angie. I will try to open it tomorrow. I'm on a phone now.

I have so many things I need work on!

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 19 2009 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Willa wrote:
Jodie, "Blink" just arrived from the library yesterday. It is fascinating reading. I think you mentioned it in an earlier part of this series.   

LisaR mentioned it first, then I jumped in and mentioned I had read it a few years back. Are you liking it? I didn't finish it...not sure why now . It's interesting that our family has latched onto this word to ask, "What's your blink response?", I'm guessing because it makes something abstract, intuition, concrete...the blink of an eye. Handy!

Sarah wrote:
I have so many things I need work on!

Oh, me too, Sarah! I've been at this habit formation since August 2008 and find the benefits make my efforts worth it. I hope you do too and will be happy to hear back from you.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 23 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Another little story...

Last Monday, my cell phone was missing...again. My first thoughts were "The children have no respect for my things (all or nothing)! I've told them a 1000 times not to touch my phone (overgeneralization)! I should never leave my phone out (should statements)! This week is going to be painful enough and I can't do it without the phone (future telling)!" Now, when my phone was missing 2 weeks earlier, I had the same thoughts and feelings and my behaviors were yucky. I lined up the suspects, demanded that we find the phone immediately, huffed around the house for awhile until I finally ran out of steam and regrouped. Fast forward to the second chance and how I practiced the regroup. I had the same thoughts immediately but was able to stop. I switched my thoughts to..."My children make mistakes. They do many things well. The phone is mostly taken care of. Sometimes I will make a mistake and leave my phone out where most likely it will be the 3yo who will be tempted to play with it. I can live without a cell phone." I called the children together and said, "My phone is missing. Let's take 10 minutes to find it. If we can't find it, we'll put it on the St. Anthony list." We didn't find it. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO tempted to keep looking, and looking, and looking. It pained me to entrust finding it to St. Anthony . It took until Friday while we were cleaning for the phone to be found...on the master bathroom floor tucked behind the toilet (yep, looking like the work of a 3yo .) I'm so relieved that we didn't waste gobs of time on looking! And I'm also seeing a pattern...I often get a second chance to re-do my mistakes .

Love,

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Angie, I liked the book but I thought it didn't totally settle the question of when to listen to your blink response and when not to.   The main idea seemed to be that when you've done your "homework" so to speak, (and when you've taken care to avoid irrational emotional trigger-reactions, too) then sometimes your first "blink" response is much more intelligent than your conscious reasoning process would be.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm reviewing the "how we think" material formally with my teens this week. Please feel free to join us at How we think - teens. Thanks!

Love,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version