Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: mid-year revamp... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Does anyone else kind of re-evaluate over the Christmas break, and toss what wasn't working, and say a silent thank you for what is? Or is that just me?

What is going good for your homeschool? What have you tossed? What have you unintentionally not gotten to the way you had hoped? Etc?

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Laura:

Yep, we re-evaluate midyear and any other time there is a need. We've had different therapies for different children this year so re-evaluation is a bit more frequent than just midyear.

This is the first year we haven't done major tossing so either we are having a good year or finally figuring things out. (Please say an extra prayer for me after posting this just so things don't suddenly fall apart now that I'm saying they're going so well).    We did lighten up the reading requirements of my 9 yo as we focus on eye skills. I also was more realistic about my time and have had to limit my active planning/teaching support for my relative while still providing supervision and some assistance.

Best changes for the second half of the year -

We mandated PE for everyone with some specific tasks to include the Physical Fitness testing. Next to science, this has been a consistent weekness in our homeschool. Since the Occupational Therapist recommended Wii Fit we have incorporated that as part of PE and it has been hysterical to watch the choleric come out in some of the folks around here (me included). Maybe it will finally help me do better with my weight. The boys have all taken to Tennis (nice that it happens to be a sport their dad likes but hasn't done in years). Daddy has been taking them all to the courts for some real fun when he gets home. We discussed eye breaks and mandated acceptable activities to choose from during these breaks. (All these involve either balance, exercise, or distance eye skills like catching a ball with the 6 yo. This is working out really well too. I have a DVD that goes over skills of different sports so they don't have to try to learn these things from uncoordinated, ignorant mom.

We added in a Reading Course from Seton for our 11 yo science guru. He likes it fine but what is most important to me is that having the workbook helps me know what to sit and discuss with him - and the plans keep him doing something in an area he tends to avoid. We've had talks like, "Oh, you answered this one like it was a science question. When someone in the literature field asks what kind of priest so and so is they want something more than the name of the religious order to which they belong.    Honestly, he is finally getting it.

We got a science teacher for our highschooler. Yipee, Yipeee..... Jumping up and down in total relief. Now that I don't have to teach it, I can actually enjoy learning it. I'm calling Kolbe with science questions that come up from my other folks. If they can explain something to me, so that I can explain it to the next person we are doing well.

We have Ginger Hines art lessons on Friday afternoon (required for all youngers, available for all olders). The 11 yo loves this. The highschooler has chosen to join in. Some of the youngers endure it right now. I'm not pressing the 14 yo as I'm just getting ready to ramp up things for him as schooling is finally taking less than half a day . If the 9 yo really, really continues to despise it, we'll let it go for a time. He hates art - but I think it is more the same issue of binocularity and writing lag. We're doing those Dianne Craft circle 8s too.

One of the best things that we're keeping is the Kolbe Enhanced Evaluation service for the highschooler. I have her submit some Kolbe papers but also papers I assign in my own plans. I'm encouraging her to submit the movie script she is writing but will not mandate it at all since this is a project she took on herself not directly a part of school (I will be giving her drama credit since she auditioned and got a role in a play, plus has been working on this project including coming up with her own audition checklists and a whole lot of other stuff. I'll give her credit whether or not she chooses to submit this to anyone). I'm honestly in awe just cannot say too much. It is turning into its own mini study as she checks out books on acting, movie-making and theater from the library, tries to come up with a movie budget and plan how she is going to produce this whole thing. I am totally hands off here - and she would resent any interference on my part. She is quite protective of this work and does not want anyone else directing it. It will be interesting to see where this all leads. In any case, her writing   is just so strong that I needed someone with experience to give feedback. I require that of my assigned papers only which are not overly burdensome and in a variety of subjects. She does other things that are totally of her own creation that I do not require any kind of thing like this (just encourage her to get a qualified editor to help her so to speak). It is working well.

Oh, we did drop the oral presentation work we were doing - mostly because she is about to do a lot of this kind of thing with her play and this was redundant. We did it before as a guide for something of interest to her - as theater has become a new love.

We are about to evaluate grammar for the 11 yo and also we are about to graduate him from formal spelling and just do spelling logs. (may be a change we implement for next year).

I am in need of re-evaluating 14 yo lesson plans. With things moving along much easier for him, I don't want to overload or add in things too soon, but I really do need to assess what one or two things I should add in to the program and begin planning. He has run out of plans for history and about to need a new composition assignment. I'm thinking some things are coming together for him and I'd love to see it happen. I'm thinking maybe a paper topic or two in his history love might see if all the work we've done is coming together for him. I've got to have some time to really ponder this one.

The other big need for my attention is my 6 year old. He is in need of more discipline and he is ready to do some academic things. He acts like he isn't interested in reading at all but I'm beginning to suspect some of this is a discipline more than a readiness thing. He is flying through math concepts (self taught from manipulatives). I need to take some time and really think out a "program" that is light, that involves my loving attention and that holds him accountable in a gentle way. I just started reading the Wind in the Willow outloud (thinking it would be perfect for the 9 yo) and it is the 6 yo who is all enthused about it, begging me to read more.

Now if only I had about a month for teacher planning! Unfortunately we all got sick for Christmas and it lasted on through Epiphany with someone or other so I don't have as much time right now. Doing the best we can. What doesn't get revamped this year, definitely will for next year.

Plans have been the key in our house for a lot of the good things happening. My children love them. It is freeing and a big time saver for all of us.

The other thing I need to do _

Go through my books and pull old math and English texts I won't be using in the near future. I'm not ready to part with them yet as I don't yet know what will really fit the 6 yo, but they don't need to be cluttering my shelves at the moment. Nicely labeled in a box would do wonders and then once we've gotten into more formal schooling with the 6 yo, I'll know whether to sell or keep them.

Go through the drawers and pull and ditch the stained stuff with holes in it. Part of modesty is neatness - and we are failing in that department.

Oh, I just cannot wax enough about how lesson plans have freed us to discuss, follow our own trails and have time for one on one discussions. My dd and I just had a wonderful chat on the way to science class - found out that she had been thinking about several important things and decided to see what St. Thomas Aquinas had to say about it, because she didn't quite agree with another book she was reading. Oh, I'm just beaming inside. When I was her age, even though I loved research, it never would have occured to me to even try and tackle St. Thomas Aquinas. I'm not even sure I'd have known who he was . Somehow our strange mix of structure and plans and following the children's trails is resulting in just what we'd hoped, though originally my idea of what "school" would look like at our home was much different.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Always so good to hear you 'wax eloquent' on your plans Janet- it's all about what works in our particular family, and it is so encouraging to see you embracing that even though it wasn't in the 'original' plans

All of our specific books seem to be working...it is mom that needs the revamping! Honestly, I seem to be the biggest glitch in the daily works!

One thing is the Jacob's Algebra book- we all love it, but I really regret starting my dd11 on it. It is not that she can't understand it, but with hormones and all it would be nicer for her to have something less challenging....but she won't put it aside- something along the lines of 'but then I will have to do it later so why don't I do it now?' You know, the sort of logic stage logic up close and personal

Haven't gotten to...
Canadian History (again -but I did resurrect our old Story of Canada today and read about the Habitants (no time like the present to fix things))
Science- we have done some, but I would like to cover more
My 8yos- that kids just evades me during the day by playing so lovingly with his 6yo brother. Who wants to disturb that? He is such a smarty too... but I have noticed the penmanship has gone right down the tubes this year- must do something about that

Spelling (ditto the Canadian History)- hate teaching it, kids desperately need it (artsy daughter has some beautiful word usage but the spelling is a bit too creative!)...any ideas??

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have been in a slump ever since Christmas. I just can't seem to get my act together. So I have revamped everything! I have changed our rhythm, our subjects, everything.

We haven't been using any curriculum for math(haven't been using curriculum for anything really) We are having such fun doing more living math and stretching that concept into our other subjects. We have also morphed into unit studies. This week we started a unit on weather and we have had the best time.

This funk that I am in has caused me to rethink so many things, school and otherwise. I have always thought that Classical Education was for our family but I am beginning to see that CE is the kind of education that I wanted for me. My kids respond better to unit studies.

Anyway, I am enjoying the simpleness of our days. It helps me deal with everything else.

Blessings
Julia
mom of 3 (9,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I'm doing this, Laura, but I was sick of EVERYTHING so my revamp is from the ground up.   

Good point about the CE Julia, I find that I spend my mother culture time learning more about Catholic classical education and it does pay off in teaching the kids, even though indirectly.... mostly through conversation. I just love classical education and my firstborn took to it so naturally, that I was surprised when some of my kids didn't.   But some of them came to it later through the more indirect route.

Charlotte Mason has been good for me because there are so many different aspects of it you can take and run with.

My revamping is heading in an Ambleside direction. So often when I'm floundering I go back to Ambleside and that jumpstarts us again.

I started experimenting with Montessori during November mostly because of my special needs 9 year old. He is extremely concrete and visual and he is just thriving with our homemade version of unschooly Montessori. He even helps me design materials. LOL!   So his school stuff is going so well that it's only his two brothers I need to revise for.

With my youngest, who's just 6, he simply wasn't ready yet for Ambleside Year 1. So I had him doing our own homemade Five in a Row trails. But now I think he is starting to be ready.

For my 7th grader, he's going through one of those desultory, sleepy, distracted stages that all my kids seem to go through as they are turning 13.   All he wants to think about is Superheroes.   So I want to get a bit more meat and potatoes into his academic day.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I'm doing this now. I wrote on my blog about it and I just got a comment to never make any major changes in February. It's that February funk advice. I don't know if I'm in a funk though. I'm looking at what I think is working: math, reading, writing and history. And I'm wondering why I'm not getting around to my picture study, composer study, nature study, art, science and PE plans. Did I overplan? Should I be more disciplined? Should I try to get back on track? Or should I try something new? These are questions I'm asking myself.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Cheryl,
Your kids are almost exactly the ages mine were last year and I found the same thing happening. It brought me to the realization that with as many kids that I have, they are going to have to start working independently with some things. Over the summer I constructed a number of things that would help them do that.

1st off I designated Friday for Fine Arts and Fun. We do composer and artist study, do an art project, read poetry, and play a geography game. We also do a spelling test and anything else that we need to brush up on.

The other independent learning things I put together are probably a little much to try to put together midyear, but I would suggest trying to get them to do somethings on their own. Maybe give them a checklist of things they are responsible for working on in the morning while you are bust with the little ones like spelling, math, penmanship, some reading, etc.. I think doing the Friday Fine Arts day would be helpful too if it works for you.

Good luck!

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Jackie,

I am glad you posted. About a month ago, I started thinking that at least my oldest two needed to be more independent. I made up a simple weekly plan for each of them that lists the things that they can do independently. (math,reading,copywork and free-write) I would like to try to add science to those subjects. My ds 10 seems to really like the independence and knowing what to expect. My ds 8 is procrastinating and complaining, etc.

I think the Fine Arts day is a good idea. We do math, reading, and meet with members of our homeschool group on Fridays, but I think it could work for us on another day. I was considering changing to a one focus each day kind of schedule.

This year I planned to do most subjects as a family. I chose curriculum that involves lots of me reading aloud to the dc. On some days it can get crazy. The littles keep interrupting, the boys get silly... I was thinking it might be more productive for me to spend time alone with each child while the others play.

I agree with what Kristie said about mom being a big glitch in the day. I've gotten into a habit of hanging out talking with my dh while he gets ready for work. That cuts into part of our school day. Phone calls can also throw us off track. And sometimes I'm just so tired in the afternoon that I tell myself we'll get to the plans later... and then we don't.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Oh how I wish it were only a midyear revamp!

I can no longer deny (to myself) that I am constantly changing things. I do not mean in the positive way of responding to needs by being flexible and tweaking the way we execute things. I mean (1) throwing my hands up when there is the least bit of resistance, (2) revisiting my entire philosophy (even when it is working) and (3) not being disciplined myself to maintain consistency.

Ouch. Hard truths.

So, I am spending some time establishing better discipline (starting with me) and rhythms.

It is a hard thing for me because our home life runs smoothly and beautifully when I take an almost complete unschooling approach to academics. But I see that it is not what is best for certain aspects of my DC development (or my own). With baby on the way, I figure I had better work some of this out now!    

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Connections wrote:
It is a hard thing for me because our home life runs smoothly and beautifully when I take an almost complete unschooling approach to academics.

Yup- me too, Tracey! We've sailed right into unschooling (with a bit of background nudging- probably more similar to Lissa's tidal homeschooling than anything else.)

This year, my mid-year revamp began with my 7yo displaying her need for me to BACK OFF the academic learning. I needed that splash of cold water- I was getting so hooked on going "all CM" and doing things exactly as I've read them, that I failed to watch how my children were responding, and I *really* failed at being flexible enough to change things freely if that worked better for our family. It took my 7 yo's tears (and my own, consequently) for me to realize that I have to stop constantly evaluating my philosophy. That instead of always reading about "better" ways to homeschool, I need to tune out of what everyone else is doing, and tune into my kids.

Since this realization, things have been just lovely. I really think we've had the most pleasant few weeks of homeschooling yet. And it looks a lot like unschooling! Who knew?!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

So - here are my changes.

I got ahold of an older WinterPromise American Story 1 Guide. I am using it with ds. He loves it. Yay.

For dd6 - I chucked *everything* except learning to read, Knoble Knights Math, which she loves, and Explode the Code, which she also loves. If she wants to tag along with Science, that's fine. I am just going to focus on the basics and get a good foundation for her. And stop telling myself, "If she was in first grade at the parish school she would be doing ____..." becuz that is just a way to drive myself crazy, I think.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Laura:

We do different math for my 7 yod, but other than that and a rhythmic religion (St. Joe's Baltimore/King of the Golden City/CGS First Holy Communion prep/Cath Mosaic) plan we've followed since my oldest two were her age, the only additional thing to what *you* do is that we have a list of books in a theme that we read, draw pictures out of, and narrate. Right now we're in fairy tales, but we're moving out of those and into animal tales in March. In April, we may shrug off this rhythm and get outside planting and observing.

I'm to the point where I don't compare (let me stress) at this level. When they get into high school years ... well, that's when I get nervous.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh, I didn't count reading aloud. Of course we do that too...

And I didn't count religion as school either.

so yes, I am doing that too ....

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm not doing a revamp, but I have been muddling... over worbooks.

In the past I have always run from workbooks or text and workbook combos in horror, but this year I have 4 kids from K-4th, a semi-preschooler, a rascal and a new baby. I needed someone to substitute teach for me sometimes, and workbooks were the answer.

I have to say that they have worked. The skills are being taught, the kids think they are fun, the workbooks are available to teach when I can't.

But I feel like I don't look my kids in the eyes anymore. At the end of the day, I feel like there has been more box checking than fire lighting.   I feel like I have checked out of their education when I want to be in the center of it and learning right along side them.

I feel like the workbooks I've chosen, I've done carefully and from necessity. The choice to use them is not a bad one. But what I am trying to work out now is whether I will be able to drop some of them next year like I crave to, or if I can find a way to let the workbooks teach some basic skills so I can engage at other times.

I don't like feeling that I've homeschooled them, but they spent the year in someone else's classroom. I miss them and they are here all the time. I know this isn't only due to workbooks. It's also in part bad habits that the workbooks have facilitated in me.

No answers yet. Just ongoing muddling.

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Cheryl,
That's about how it works here too. The oldest loves having the independence and just does his thing while my 9 yr old needs more nudging; although, he is getting much better. I think he's finding his own personal rhythm for the day and likes that he can follow it to an extent (doing some work and then eating a late breakfast as he's not hungry right away like everyone else).

We have a coop day and piano lessons on Wednesdays. So, I suppose that would be like your Friday. I am finding that we aren't flying through our mathbooks as quickly due to have 2 odd days; but, I'm going to see how it goes. My boys like math and so if we continue it in the summer maybe that'd be ok.

I did go to the 1 subject focus each afternoon while baby naps. I like it better than doing half hours of several things each day. I am going to experiment with 2 week blocks this spring kind of like Waldorf does. 2weeks history every afternoon followed by 2 weeks science, and so on. I want to try this out and see if the depth of learning is greater. If so, I'll use it next year. I'm thinking planning might be easier as well because I can totally focus on one subject...order the books from the lib, etc..

Anyone else do blocks like this?

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

cactus mouse wrote:
Oh, I didn't count reading aloud. Of course we do that too.......

What we are doing is not just reading aloud. We're taking themes in blocks, as Jackie suggests, in a Waldorf-y way. Right now, my 7 yo is in fairy tales. My 9 yo is in Norse Myth. There are history, science, literature, and even religion (Bible) blocks. I suppose we could turn Catholic Mosaic into a block, since I like to share a CM story with the kids at least once per week anyway! We mix the 6 to 8 week blocks up as seasons demand. You schedule when you want what to happen. Science is more hands on and outdoors. These blocks are wonderful for peace of mind.

Basically, what happens is we read the story the first day. I might read it again the second day while the child or several children illustrate a scene from it using a picture I drew as a model or creating their own. On the third day, the children narrate the story. The fourth day, we concentrate on details of the language or scientific/historical significance of the story. Eventually, the children make their own book of the Main Lesson. I love this very gentle approach!

And Rachel, if you do this for the Main Lesson, you can still use workbooks for phonics, math, and grammar. It's the best of both worlds!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version