Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: How "fresh and new" should a HS be? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Ack! I just lost a long post.

Oh, well, probably for the best.

I did want to clarify a few things before the forums close for the night but I had to go to Mass and put FOCA postcards in the pew and now I took up computer time writing that "long post" and have no time to refilter my thought. I must visit with dh now.

Elizabeth wrote:
ss in that sense, our curriculum guide is the Catechism. I think we can educate within the parameters of that to win the hearts of our children.

I did want to say, I like this very much and, if we focus on that and on the liturgical year, we really can't go wrong with finding and learning new, inspiring, fresh ideas.

And, truly, each of our children are so different that if we talk to them daily we will find an unlimited well of new, inspiring, fresh ideas.

And these forums (and all your blogs) are pretty rich tools that help me in planning our activities and offering us new, inspiring, and fresh ideas.

But, Tracey, I do understand your questions. Really I do. I've felt this way when I'm around other families whose children seem better educated than mine. And I worry that I absorb myself more in keeping my children's heart than in offering the knowledge they will need in the world outside our home.

I really do believe that young children learn by exposure and repetition so we focus on that a lot. I'm also aware that I can't do it alone...me, myself, and I...so I do not hesitate to take advantage of what God presents to our family.

Have a blessed Sunday, everyone.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Speaking of losing posts -- while I was sitting here with Aidan on my lap catching up on this thread, Aidan managed to use my moderator panel to delete Books' post. I'm putting it here as a quote -- I'm awfully sorry, Books! He's quick with that mouse!

Bookswithtea wrote:
Willa wrote:

Absolutely.   Really, Books, I think you gave me some insight into why I feel restless and stale recently.   I wonder, if seeds stuck in the cold ground in February had souls and could talk, if they wouldn't feel somewhat the same way -- stale, stuck, confined -- but then look what happens!   I shall have to think about that -- sorry to anthropomorphize plant seeds that way, I'm afraid it's a bit silly, but I think you're right

I love your image of seeds in the ground. I guess that when I weed out in Jan/Feb, I need to figure out what is planted and waiting to sprout (and therefore worth persevering with) and what just got tossed on the ground and is more likely get eaten by the birds!

In turn, I really like your furthering of the analogy, Books -- some seeds don't have to sprout in our particular lives, perhaps? Or in our kids'....and some put down deep roots, while others stay superficial.   I think God plans us to be different to some extent. I was just reading somewhere how horrible it would be if we all got precisely the same sort of upbringing and development. Not much room for mystery there.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I’ve been wanting to come back to this conversation, but was out sick with a stomach virus all weekend. Yuck.

So much food for thought here!

connections wrote:

I think my biggest challenge is to stop reinventing the WAY we do things. I am constantly searching for a better way. A better way to organize. A better way to structure our days. A better way to address the individual needs of each of my children. But the truth is that I don't always need a better way. Often (almost always), things are working just fine and I go and change things anyway! Truly, this does not seem like the best use of my time.

Tracey, I could have written that. That is so, so me. I’ve mentioned before that I tend to tweak things that are working just fine, just for the sake of tweaking. I need to learn to enjoy the fruits of my labor and just rest in the quiet that naturally occurs when things are going as they should.

Bookswithtea wrote:
Tracey, I would do what feels inspiring to you personally. If you are excited about it, then your enthusiasm will catch on. If it feels like work, then its probably not the right time.

This really speaks to me. When things are working, chugging along nicely, it’s because I’m enthusiastic about what we’re doing. I inspire my children because I’m inspired myself. That’s why what works for me right now might not work for me three years from now. But part of keeping it “fresh” is paying attention to what speaks to me right now, and then seizing that opportunity to go with it, and see where it takes us.

connections wrote:
Rather, I should be focusing on what ideas, plans, projects, etc. speak to or reflect what is in MY heart. Starting there I can individualize for my children and their learning styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

The fact that I have been asking myself the wrong question likely explains the many false starts I have had, too. If my heart is not in it, it will fail.

You just answered the question I was posing to myself, Tracey. I can’t look at anyone else’s plan, or anyone else’s blog, and copy it. I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of gal. I think this is in part due to my temperament (sanguine choleric). I want to get a good handle on a plan, and then go for it no-holds-barred. But that doesn’t work in a homeschool where children are valued above the curriculum- where relationships rate higher than a lesson plan.

Simplifying in our homeschool, right now, means that our 3 essentials (reading aloud, nature study, and living out our faith) receive top priority in our schedule. Everything else, 3 R’s included, are considered gravy- value added. For now. This will change, I’m sure, as my children grow older, but for now, this is what “simplifying” means for us. It doesn't mean that I can't add in something fresh and new, like a hands-on history unit, or a slew of fun field trips, if that is what reaches my heart at that time.

So I guess to keep things simple and yet fresh/new, we have to be willing to stop and see what moves us/inspires us at this point in our lives. And then reach out to our children with that.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Sarah M wrote:
So I guess to keep things simple and yet fresh/new, we have to be willing to stop and see what moves us/inspires us at this point in our lives. And then reach out to our children with that.

You said this really beautifully. Its taken me forever to get to the point where I can let a lot of things go. But peace and joy are even better for a child than a whiz bang education. I guess I'm a slow learner, as that should be obvious.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Sarah M wrote:

[/QUOTE]

My good friend Kimberly wrote how she did this.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Mackfam wrote:
Recognizing that my heart is capable of expressing a general philosophy isn't necessarily limiting - there is room for me to learn about other philosophies and ideas, but their expression will look different in my home because my heart will have expressed them in a way that sings of my joy and communicates best to my children. I may be able to extract a small bit of one philosopy and have it then assimilate into the whole of my self quite easily. But still, my basic philosophy of expression is authentic and intact.

That's what I think too.   I suppose someone coming into the discussion in the middle could read Mother's Heart and think: (1) that the mothers think it's all about them and (2)) that it's very mushy.

I acknowledge that there are many influences on my childrens' lives that aren't ME -- in fact, that's a very good thing since I have boys. I don't want them to be copies of their mom They are influenced by their father, their church, their relatives, and so many other things. But I have to focus on MY part of it and do that part.

And I have to see where I am and work from there. ... not bring in an outside model, even a good one, and try to force myself and my family into it.

Mom still has room to learn and grow, though.

On a practical note, I've always liked Leonie's idea of collecting ideas and thoughts that appeal to her -- and thinking about them for a while before transferring them into her own life. ... deciding how they would work best in HER family.   And then not being crushed when they don't work immediately. That goes back to Books' analogy of some seeds scattering and some sprouting, and then some, perhaps, germinating unseen for quite a time before they show any evidence of life.

Take Up and Read

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Connections

Willa wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
Recognizing that my heart is capable of expressing a general philosophy isn't necessarily limiting - there is room for me to learn about other philosophies and ideas, but their expression will look different in my home because my heart will have expressed them in a way that sings of my joy and communicates best to my children. I may be able to extract a small bit of one philosopy and have it then assimilate into the whole of my self quite easily. But still, my basic philosophy of expression is authentic and intact.

That's what I think too.   I suppose someone coming into the discussion in the middle could read Mother's Heart and think: (1) that the mothers think it's all about them and (2)) that it's very mushy.

Willa- I think I see the concern you are anticipating here. However, I believe that part of a Mother's Heart is a desire to nurture that which is written on each of our children's hearts. Our hearts seems always to include a focus on our children as individuals- for we support them in discerning that which God is calling them to become in this life.

Their path in life will always be unique and outside of us. Yet, we support, love and mentor them with what is written on our own hearts. Therefore, as you have said, we share what is on our hearts because that is something we can do. In this regard, our desire to help our children identify and follow their unique paths is a little self-correcting.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Bookswithtea wrote:

Tracey, I would do what feels inspiring to you personally. If you are excited about it, then your enthusiasm will catch on. If it feels like work, then its probably not the right time. Last semester, my only goal was to make sure that the basics were covered (as in math, phonics, religion) and that the laundry and dinner were happening. I didn't read a book aloud for almost 4 months. Did I just say that aloud here????

But I did have more time to look into my little one's eyes, have them help me make a simple lunch in the kitchen, listen to my teen talk about his social life, and the laundry got done. Dinner happened even though it wasn't the perfect meals I wanted to provide. I went to bed at night feeling ok between me and God, even if it wasn't reflective of my philosophy or vision, overall. I didn't read a whole lot of blogs, either. I didn't need to be reminded of the wonderful things out there that I could not do at that time. It was a time reflective of where my family was at and having a high need baby. He's older now and I can do a little more. I've added FIAR back into our lives, and a little bit of Catholic Mosaic and Serendipity (not all at once or in their entirety though). I chose these because they make *me* happy when I do them. My heart is warmed. And my kids thrive because of my enthusiasm.

I think cleaning out the cob webby stuff from fall and then a good look at your home is the best place to start. If its a time to just do the basics, then do them and let the rest go without any guilt. If its time to add in some watercolors or a fairy tale and that warms your mother's heart then do it.

The only don't is to never let any program, pre planned or home made, become your master and usurp the gentle yoke of Jesus. He is much gentler on us than we are with ourselves, imho. Being a gentle spirit is more than just being gentle with our children. Its also being gentle with ourselves.

Books, this is very, very helpful to me right now. Thank you for posting it.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Connections wrote:
However, I believe that part of a Mother's Heart is a desire to nurture that which is written on each of our children's hearts. Our hearts seems always to include a focus on our children as individuals- for we support them in discerning that which God is calling them to become in this life.

That's exactly how I feel, and you said it better than I did. It was something I wanted to bring out specifically just in case it wasn't totally clear. I suppose most mothers have an intuitive understanding of that truth though!

Take Up and Read

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2009 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Willa wrote:
   I suppose most mothers have an intuitive understanding of that truth though!

Willa-
I have been thinking a lot about the role intuition plays. I find so many times that I over-analyze things instead of allowing intuition to guide me. That's why I found it so valuable for you, Elizabeth and Jennifer to discuss the role of a Mother's Heart. Had I allowed my intuition to guide me, I probably would not have found this so eye-opening. Yet, when I think and research and compare too much, I overlook my own intuition.

Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version