Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: How "fresh and new" should a HS be? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

I feel guilty about the times when I am not keeping our HSing fresh with new projects, opportunities, ideas. I feel pressure to create learning experiences that will be lovely and new!

Of course, life has a way or throwing us new experiences (like a baby on the way).

How fresh and exciting should I be keeping our "studies?" How much time should I be spending planning and researching and locating?

While I know this is a personal question and we all "run" our HS differently, I cannot help but wonder if consistently executing a few things well would be time better spent.

What do you think? What is our obligation to keep things fresh and new?

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2009 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I just read this post at Kim Fry's blog, and this one at Rebecca's- both deal with simplifying lessons, not re-inventing the wheel. Just some ideas to get this thread going- and then I'll be back to ponder with you when I gather my thoughts!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Tracey,
I think you can have both simplicity and a curriculum that interests both you and your children. In another thread,
Sarah wrote:

I met a women recently who let me in her house to show me the curriculum she used with her 2 children. They were homeschooled all the way through and are doing wonderfully at a popular Catholic college. Even though she had the time to do more with her 2 kids (she married late and could only have 2), she simply did math, a language arts lesson of some sort, and one other subject each day. They practiced piano and dad read catechism questions for 15 minutes before bed. She assigned a chapter book and gave them 2 weeks to finish it! If they were done early then they still had the remaining time for their own leisure. I couldn't believe her simplicity. She told me that she asked little, but what little they did had to be done well.

Here is an example of a woman who has a simple system, but there's room within that system to expose her children to a wide range of interesting and relevant topics. It's a workable method of educating.

Certainly, life will offer you lots of interesting turns.You can seize those opportunities within a framework like the one above. You need to ask yourself the goal. If the goal is a rich curriculum tailored to your children's needs and affinities, then you might not be able to follow the some of the models Kim links in her post.

For instance, the Duggars, no matter how wonderful they are (and I see much that is good there) follow a very controlled Bill Gothard curriculum. In order to use that curriculum, they have to agree not use any component of any other curriculum. That wouldn't work for most of us. While it completely eliminates the stress of planning, it also eliminates the opportunities that come with tailoring a course of study that is in tune with your particular family. It's rare that any packaged curriculum would have such tight controls.

So, it's possible, like in the example above, to have a set curriculum and also have freedom within it to tinker as you see fit, when it works for you. Just be sure to choose that curriculum carefully in light of the goals of your family and God's call to you specifically.I think there is a danger of simplifying too much and creating more complicated problems that come with forcing an inappropriate (for learning style, ability, subject matter, etc) curriculum on both mother and child.

You're right that how much time and how much "freshness" will depend on the family. You need to take into account the goals you and your husband have for your own household. If it's paramount that the house is in perfect order every day, all day, you will want to pass on messy crafts and things that take your hands-on involvement. If it's important that all your children are ready for college, you'll want to be certain that what you've chosen provides that kind of preparation. If you are going to make most of your learning an apprenticeship on a family farm or in a family business, then "academics" won't look the same as that of a family whose dad is a professor of philosophy at a Catholic liberal arts college and assumes that all the children will go to school there. (And I'm not saying that farmers can't be philosophers--they can. I'm just saying that there are so many hours in each day and each family will have their own areas of emphasis. People would no doubt be astonished at how much time in this family is devoted to some sort of athletic endeavor.)

Sarah's example is reasonable. Those children have math and some kind of language arts every day. And then, there are five slots a week for discretionary topics. Perhaps those topics are suggested by a curriculum (that's the model we've chosen for Serendipity) or maybe they are dictated by the interests of children (a more unschooling model). It's simple plan, but it doesn't exclude creativity on the part of mother and children.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Connections

Sarah- Thank you for the links.

Elizabeth- Thank you for your thoughts. I still have a lot to evaluate and I appreciate the direction greatly. I believe in exposure to new ideas and opportunities (and those include projects, though we tend to do better when the children direct most of those.) So in that regard, I DO strive for fresh and new. In fact, I think that is one of the greatest advantages of homeschooling- the introduction to (and time to ponder) so many wonderful ideas and opportunities.

You mention the framework and I realize that I need to better define the framework for myself and then allow for fresh and new within that framework. I think my biggest challenge is to stop reinventing the WAY we do things. I am constantly searching for a better way. A better way to organize. A better way to structure our days. A better way to address the individual needs of each of my children. But the truth is that I don't always need a better way. Often (almost always), things are working just fine and I go and change things anyway! Truly, this does not seem like the best use of my time.

Perhaps I am applying the fresh and new principle to the wrong thing (the framework) when I should focus on applying it to the ideas and opportunities within a simple framework.

Thank you, thank you for helping me work this out.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Connections wrote:

You mention the framework and I realize that I need to better define the framework for myself and then allow for fresh and new within that framework. I think my biggest challenge is to stop reinventing the WAY we do things. I am constantly searching for a better way. A better way to organize. A better way to structure our days. A better way to address the individual needs of each of my children. But the truth is that I don't always need a better way. Often (almost always), things are working just fine and I go and change things anyway! Truly, this does not seem like the best use of my time.

I think you're on to something here! Keep the framework simple and then adjust the content to your circumstances. When you have a new baby or everyone's sick or you're in the middle of the move, you can keep the content simple. When you have some wiggle room, you can add a little more creativity to both content and method of delivery.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I agree with what everyone says and I, too, regularly plan to re-simplify.

This being said, I have noticed that *I* often need a fresh perspective to keep going. This is the purpose usually of my researching. It's because most subjects, and the subject of education itself, are so rich and rewarding in themselves.

It is not a "have to" but something that is delightful.... so delightful that it can become a distraction, so I have to pay attention to making sure I keep it in a balance. I want to freshen my perspective and grow in my own understanding of learning, but I do more than I *need* to do.

I will admit I also tweak schedules and methods regularly. I realized just a couple of years ago that this was my way of re-approaching something. For example, to improve my house I usually have to start by getting right in there and moving furniture and tinkering. This physical movement helps my brain and imagination to engage. In a similar way, I tend to shuffle schedules and methods not drastically, but enough to engage my brain and imagination. It takes a bit of work, but it seems to help me actually carry out.

For the kids, simplicity is fine and in some ways necessary.   I am pretty sure this is one of the reasons why homeschooled kids tend to perform well academically compared to "schooled" kids.   I know there are people who choose one program and stick with it throughout. I stay with one basic model -- basically summed up by the Robinson Curriculum style of math, a language and a booklist (I don't use their books but just the basic idea).   But I vary it throughout the year just like I might find a classic skirt and then vary it with different tops and accessories.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Willa,
When you say "Robinson style," how much of Robinson are you using? So much of Robinson's method is tied up in his "rules and procedures."

OTOH, I've kind of fallen into math, reading on a topic, and an essay every day and then varied afternoon activities and handcrafts. I don't consider it Robinson at all but it is simple in method with the possibility of be rich in content.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Elizabeth wrote:
Willa,
When you say "Robinson style," how much of Robinson are you using? So much of Robinson's method is tied up in his "rules and procedures."

OTOH, I've kind of fallen into math, reading on a topic, and an essay every day and then varied afternoon activities and handcrafts. I don't consider it Robinson at all but it is simple in method with the possibility of be rich in content.

I don't do very many of his rules and procedures. What would we do without our sugar and VGs?   We don't sit at desks. OK, well, I do the 30 math problems early in the morning WHEN we're in a math season.   I don't use Saxon.

This is closer to the way I apply it. Sure, perhaps then we needn't even call it Robinson because I don't follow his rules OR use his materials but the skeleton of math, Latin and literature (plus informal nature study plus normal life) is the heart of our homeschooling. To myself I call it the Cor Matris method (Mother's Heart) to remind myself it's under Mary's auspices and that "a mother's heart is the child's schoolroom" and that this is the most important part at least in MY sphere of influence.    So no, probably not TOO much like Robinson!

Take Up and Read

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Warning: a little long...

I think there is a balance between refreshing, simplifying and meeting a family's needs. I think its going to look different in each household, too.

There is definitely something to be said for not re-inventing the wheel. The only concern I have is when the manuals become the master over mom, burdening her unnecessarily. Some moms are really comfortable taking what they love from a manual and pitching the rest. Others feel they have failed if they don't check every box. The only programs that make me truly uncomfortable are ones like Elizabeth mentioned above, that require a 100% signature commitment to their entire vision. The ATI program is in a class of its own, imho. Families that use these programs may seem like they have it all together, but there are sometimes things in the background that we cannot see...that we would not want in our lives.

I do not think that every day needs to be fresh, lovely and inspiring. If I did, I would have given up long ago.

Somewhere on the forums, someone posted a blog from a mom about February Blues and that really encompasses how I feel about freshening up. There's something about the end of January/early February. I can feel Spring coming on, even in the depths of winter and Lent. I am also painfully aware of the things on my shelf that have gathered dust. They seemed like such a good idea in August. Now they seem to taunt me. It feels really good to me to get them out of my daily hs shelves so that everything on my shelf reflects what I am actually using. Sort of a focus on what we are accomplishing rather than what we've let drop along the way. Maybe I'll save those other things for another year, or maybe they'll go in my "for sale" box in springtime. But at least I am not looking at it every morning!

I think sometimes we get so focused on the best education for our children that we forget that it also has to be workable within our families and gentle with Mom. At the end of the day, if we've tried our best as mothers/wives/educators, then our curricula shouldn't berate us (Jesus certainly isn't) for all that's left undone, no matter what it is or who designed it.

We tend to be very hard on ourselves as hs moms. And so often we see what someone else is doing and are tempted to think its better than what we are doing. We don't know if that mom just had a baby, or if Dad works away from the home for weeks at a time. We don't know if that neat blog we read is even reflective of that person in real life. I certainly don't assume the worst of the blog community (indeed, I learn a ton from them!), but truly, we don't *know* people just because we read about their hs days and their families on the net. Does anyone remember Cheryl Lindsay? Her magazine had a vision that I still find incredibly inspiring. What no one knew was that her husband was beating her and her church and homeschool community wouldn't help her because of their beliefs about submission. In the end, she found compassion outside of Christianity altogether.    I tend to look at blogs and spaces and walls all through that lens now. The grass is rarely greener elsewhere...

Tracey, I would do what feels inspiring to you personally. If you are excited about it, then your enthusiasm will catch on. If it feels like work, then its probably not the right time. Last semester, my only goal was to make sure that the basics were covered (as in math, phonics, religion) and that the laundry and dinner were happening. I didn't read a book aloud for almost 4 months. Did I just say that aloud here????

But I did have more time to look into my little one's eyes, have them help me make a simple lunch in the kitchen, listen to my teen talk about his social life, and the laundry got done. Dinner happened even though it wasn't the perfect meals I wanted to provide. I went to bed at night feeling ok between me and God, even if it wasn't reflective of my philosophy or vision, overall. I didn't read a whole lot of blogs, either. I didn't need to be reminded of the wonderful things out there that I could not do at that time. It was a time reflective of where my family was at and having a high need baby. He's older now and I can do a little more. I've added FIAR back into our lives, and a little bit of Catholic Mosaic and Serendipity (not all at once or in their entirety though). I chose these because they make *me* happy when I do them. My heart is warmed. And my kids thrive because of my enthusiasm.

I think cleaning out the cob webby stuff from fall and then a good look at your home is the best place to start. If its a time to just do the basics, then do them and let the rest go without any guilt. If its time to add in some watercolors or a fairy tale and that warms your mother's heart then do it.

The only don't is to never let any program, pre planned or home made, become your master and usurp the gentle yoke of Jesus. He is much gentler on us than we are with ourselves, imho. Being a gentle spirit is more than just being gentle with our children. Its also being gentle with ourselves.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm answering your original question without reading the replies, Tracey. "Fresh and new" are not my goals for high schoolers. If I had to grab a few words that I do strive for as a mom of a home educating high schooler they would be...

Student-driven. Does the student own the work? How/is the student accountable? Does the student pay consequences for poor attitude, decisions, work? How does the student bounce back from failures?

Purposeful. Is the work necessary for any reason? Does it get the student closer to long range goals? Is is worth the time?

Proportionate. Is the work heavier in the area of gifts, talents, and how these fit with future goals? Is the work as efficient and effective as possible in weaker, less needed areas?

Mastery. Does the student have basic skills? Broad knowledge? A few areas of expertise?

Our container for these principles (and I'm sure we have others that I'm not thinking of at the moment) looks like this:

Student-driven academic goals:
A. To gain admission to ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism, Honors Program.
B. No Honors Program.
C. English major at ASU with emphasis on writing.

How to meet requirements:
1. Heavy work in the area of writing.
- Take English 101 and 102 at Community College (completed)
- Write well and as many essays as possible for subjects.
2. Good SAT scores.
- Test into math courses at Community College (one down, one to go)
3. Good portfolio to show broad knowledge and unusual skill.
- Excellent reading list.
- Excellent movie list.
- Black belt in American Kenpo (by graduation from hs)
- Local internship with newspaper (trying to establish)

So, the fresh and fun come from the content. Devin finds it endlessly fresh to read books and watch movies. Currently she is on a political science roll. Fresh and fun come from discussion and writing, too.

Honestly, I have little to do with Devin's work at this point. I'm more of a consultant than a manager or co-worker. Anticipating the next high schooler, I think that our principles and container will still hold but the content will look much different...heavy on baseball, management, and communications.

Hopefully I'll have time to read more here later. Thanks for the topic!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bookswithtea wrote:

I do not think that every day needs to be fresh, lovely and inspiring.

Great point, Books.
Not every day can be "fresh, lovely and inspiring"...naturally. But it is good for us to look, at least, for "fresh, lovely and inspiring" moments throughout the day...and teach our children to do likewise.

I spoke to a hsing mother last week who is now 50 years old, has two older children (26 and 30) and two younger children (9 and 5).

She told me all about the differences in the way she raised her older vs. younger children. She said she now realizes that the correction she so diligently gave her older children helped prevent lots of heartache, problems, and correction later in life. They got the message while they were young and it was still a gentler correction than what they would have gotten when they were older had they been raised without correction and grown up untamed.

Now she is at an age with little energy to be diligent in the correction of her younger two children and she's worried they'll not be prepared for the rough road ahead.

That bothered me a bit because my older children remind me of all the things they didn't get away with but their younger siblings do. I admit it...I am a more lenient mother today than I was in my twenties.

I also consider the whole person more now than all the nitty-gritty parenting tasks and books consumed myself with in the beginning years of my parenting.

While I don't think "schooling" during the first 10 years of life has to be a grindstone...there is enough time for that later in life...after the age of 10 I think it is time to start guiding that child towards a more diligent, thoughtful production of his days.

But life cannot always be fresh and new. Our children will learn that later in life...on the job, over the none-ending diaper changes and bill-paying.

But finding those precious "moments" are important.

I think, personally, that following the Church's beautiful liturgical year is the best way to freshen up our days, our schooling, our parenting.

Also, keeping a seasonal flow (which Willa has written about before) has always done my family and me wonders with our homeschool.

Bookswithtea wrote:
I've added FIAR back into our lives,...

Around this time every year I begin to feel FIAR calling me from the bookshelf. We're planning to take our boat out for a little row very shortly. FIAR has never disappointed us and, keeping a gentle school schedule around here has always given us the time to do FIAR and other-like projects which keep our HS "fresh and new".

Bookswithtea wrote:
Being a gentle spirit is more than just being gentle with our children. Its also being gentle with ourselves.

Amen!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Willa wrote:
   To myself I call it the Cor Matris method (Mother's Heart) to remind myself it's under Mary's auspices and that "a mother's heart is the child's schoolroom" and that this is the most important part at least in MY sphere of influence.   

Willa,
This is beautiful! This is precisely what I want for my children: for my heart to be their classroom.That means I don't want someone else's checklist to be my classroom at home. I want the beauty and uniquely personal charism home education can afford. That means I will invest some thought and time and prayer into either tweaking someone's plans or writing my own.

Bookswithtea wrote:

There is definitely something to be said for not re-inventing the wheel. The only concern I have is when the manuals become the master over mom, burdening her unnecessarily. Some moms are really comfortable taking what they love from a manual and pitching the rest. Others feel they have failed if they don't check every box. The only programs that make me truly uncomfortable are ones like Elizabeth mentioned above, that require a 100% signature commitment to their entire vision. The ATI program is in a class of its own, imho. Families that use these programs may seem like they have it all together, but there are sometimes things in the background that we cannot see...that we would not want in our lives.

To clarify, ATI is Bill Gothard's curriculum (which is the Duggar curriculum). I think programs like this one and strict Robinson don't look at each child individually. It's hard for me to see how they reach a child's heart--or perhaps, how they reach every child's heart. And I too, worry about looking like it's all neat and tidy when there's something not quite right under the surface.

Here's the February Blues post that Books noted.
Cay Gibson wrote:
I spoke to a hsing mother last week who is now 50 years old, has two older children (26 and 30) and two younger children (9 and 5).

She told me all about the differences in the way she raised her older vs. younger children. She said she now realizes that the correction she so diligently gave her older children helped prevent lots of heartache, problems, and correction later in life. They got the message while they were young and it was still a gentler correction than what they would have gotten when they were older had they been raised without correction and grown up untamed.

Now she is at an age with little energy to be diligent in the correction of her younger two children and she's worried they'll not be prepared for the rough road ahead.

Cay, I worry about this sometimes too. And in a big family, I also worry that sometimes we leave too much supervision of little ones both academically and otherwise to the big ones.Too often, big kids' education can suffer because they spend too much time doing mom's job with little ones. And the little ones miss out on mom's wisdom all too often. Mom's can and do delegate too much mothering (and/or too much teaching)and everyone might miss out on the choicest part of being children with older parents.
When Michael left for college, I really recognized how much I wanted my little ones to have the same creative, involved-on-my-part education that he had when he was little. Of course, he didn't have the benefit of doting big sisters and energetic big brothers and that's a huge plus for my little ones. Really the little ones should have the best of all worlds. It's a balancing act, I guess.

And you're so right Cay--the liturgical year is ever old and ever new. I think it can be beneficial for a family to have even academic work focused on the liturgical year for a season sometimes. We tend to do this at Advent and we often do it in late September/early October when we have a plethora of feast days and birthdays in our house. The natural seasons provide freshness, as well. I plan on a whole week in the bluebells, whenever they decide to bloom.It's a family tradition that has brought us much joy and happy memories. Those seasonal things might make me nuts if I were worried about checking every box and so, for me, that would make the pre-fab plan more complicated than simple.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Bookswithtea wrote:

There's something about the end of January/early February. I can feel Spring coming on, even in the depths of winter and Lent. I am also painfully aware of the things on my shelf that have gathered dust. They seemed like such a good idea in August. Now they seem to taunt me. It feels really good to me to get them out of my daily hs shelves so that everything on my shelf reflects what I am actually using. Sort of a focus on what we are accomplishing rather than what we've let drop along the way.

Absolutely.   Really, Books, I think you gave me some insight into why I feel restless and stale recently.   I wonder, if seeds stuck in the cold ground in February had souls and could talk, if they wouldn't feel somewhat the same way -- stale, stuck, confined -- but then look what happens!   I shall have to think about that -- sorry to anthropomorphize plant seeds that way, I'm afraid it's a bit silly, but I think you're right

Take Up and Read

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Elizabeth wrote:
Willa wrote:
   To myself I call it the Cor Matris method (Mother's Heart) to remind myself it's under Mary's auspices and that "a mother's heart is the child's schoolroom" and that this is the most important part at least in MY sphere of influence.   

Willa,
This is beautiful! This is precisely what I want for my children: for my heart to be their classroom.That means I don't want someone else's checklist to be my classroom at home. I want the beauty and uniquely personal charism home education can afford. That means I will invest some thought and time and prayer into either tweaking someone's plans or writing my own.

What a lovely thing for me to focus on. I too often wonder which great idea I should duplicate in my home. Really, that isn't even the correct question to ask.

Rather, I should be focusing on what ideas, plans, projects, etc. speak to or reflect what is in MY heart. Starting there I can individualize for my children and their learning styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

The fact that I have been asking myself the wrong question likely explains the many false starts I have had, too. If my heart is not in it, it will fail.

Thank you all for getting me thinking about so many helpful things!

Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Connections

Bookswithtea wrote:

Tracey, I would do what feels inspiring to you personally. If you are excited about it, then your enthusiasm will catch on. If it feels like work, then its probably not the right time.

If its time to add in some watercolors or a fairy tale and that warms your mother's heart then do it.

There it is again...the mother's heart!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Elizabeth wrote:

To clarify, ATI is Bill Gothard's curriculum (which is the Duggar curriculum). I think programs like this one and strict Robinson don't look at each child individually. It's hard for me to see how they reach a child's heart--or perhaps, how they reach every child's heart. And I too, worry about looking like it's all neat and tidy when there's something not quite right under the surface.

And that's what makes me look time and time again at families who seem to have figured out how to use a curriculum AND still claim the hearts of their children...as the Duggar and Maxwell families do.

But that really isn't what I should be doing because their families are not mine.

Curriculums that are not child-friendly and mom-friendly do not work around here.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Cay,
You couldn't use the ATI curriculum anyway, because you couldn't sign the statement of faith. The Gothard curriculum is a lifestyle, really, that encompasses everything from first aid to finances to courtship.Gothard spells out success in every parameter based upon his interpretation of scripture and then you use Wisdom Booklets to teach to that definition of success. And remember, to use the curriculum, you have to agree to the whole shebang.I guess in that sense, our curriculum guide is the Catechism. I think we can educate within the parameters of that to win the hearts of our children.

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Cay Gibson wrote:

But that really isn't what I should be doing because their families are not mine.

Their families are not ours. This should be our mantra when we are feeling discouraged, imho. Its just too easy to think everything is better for someone else, whether its their curriculum or their parenting method, or how fast they get back to normalcy after a baby, or whatever. Their families are not ours and we just don't really know what their families are all about. We only know our own, and that is good and right.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Curriculums that are not child-friendly and mom-friendly do not work around here.

This is exactly how I feel. I really don't think that writing our own curriculum or using someone else's is the solution. The solution is what is both child friendly and mom friendly and right for this moment, for our family.

~Books

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:
Cay,
You couldn't use the ATI curriculum anyway, because you couldn't sign the statement of faith. The Gothard curriculum is a lifestyle, really, that encompasses everything from first aid to finances to courtship.Gothard spells out success in every parameter based upon his interpretation of scripture and then you use Wisdom Booklets to teach to that definition of success. And remember, to use the curriculum, you have to agree to the whole shebang.I guess in that sense, our curriculum guide is the Catechism. I think we can educate within the parameters of that to win the hearts of our children.

In case anyone is wondering, here some links to peruse. This is what I mean about not really knowing another family, no matter how successful they appear (not referring to any family in particular here). Their successes may not be internally driven, for example, if they've signed on to an external authority over the details of their lives. We can still enjoy blogs or other online avenues to get ideas, but our vision still needs to be formed by Jesus and Her Church. I think there's a freedom in that. A release to be uniquely who we are meant to be. There are many mansions in our Father's house...and more than one way to be successful.

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/gothard/general. htm

http://www.pfo.org/evol-fad.htm

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/march/35.77.html

~Books

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 24 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Connections wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Willa wrote:

Willa,

What a lovely thing for me to focus on. I too often wonder which great idea I should duplicate in my home. Really, that isn't even the correct question to ask.

Rather, I should be focusing on what ideas, plans, projects, etc. speak to or reflect what is in MY heart. Starting there I can individualize for my children and their learning styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

The fact that I have been asking myself the wrong question likely explains the many false starts I have had, too. If my heart is not in it, it will fail.

I think you have found your answer there, Tracey, and really the key for all of us as we seek to homeschool.

My heart is the forge for the ideas and philosophies I find in homeschooling. Not all philosophies will meld in my heart - it is of a basic design and stamp given to me by the Creator. Within my heart is an immense capacity to love and that love generates enough energy to transform ideas and plans and projects so that when they are communicated to the children these ideas and plans are animated by my own love for them and to a certain extent take on the basic philosophy of my heart. In this expression of what I consider our *basic family philosophy* lies great refreshment and joy. This expression often communicates newness because it's not quite like the thing it was based on, it has taken on a supernatural love from my heart to the children. This is how watching a brown thrasher - seen over and over again can be fresh and new every time. Because my heart is drawn into and illuminates the experience.

Recognizing that my heart is capable of expressing a general philosophy isn't necessarily limiting - there is room for me to learn about other philosophies and ideas, but their expression will look different in my home because my heart will have expressed them in a way that sings of my joy and communicates best to my children. I may be able to extract a small bit of one philosopy and have it then assimilate into the whole of my self quite easily. But still, my basic philosophy of expression is authentic and intact. This is why I believe that in times of stress, like February when we all begin to wonder if...it is good to retreat into that comfortable philosophy where the expression of joy is natural. It is in this our basic philosophy that we find refreshment.

Thus, there is no need to compare myself to other families - even those with whom I share a great deal in common. I know that each individual mother's heart will transform and express differently. Each heart has its own song.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version