Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Your favorite basket Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh, I so want to order EVERY basket, so I can't make my mind up on just one or two...I keep going to the site, filling my cart with too much, and then leaving without ordering because I'm afraid I'll order it all...but I'm redoing my desk files for incoming mail and outgoing correspondence and I really want a pretty basket full of beautiful Vera Bradley folders sitting there...maybe I'll finally decide on that one today.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2009 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Have you all watched this youtube video of the Petersboro Tent Sale IRL? It is so fun to watch......and I'm not quite sure WHY! Maybe because after having a couple of these for awhile, I can just PICTURE myself there, ALL DAY, agonizing, thinking, pondering what baskets to buy. I seriously would be there ALL DAY LONG. I am sure this is why God has me living in Seattle.

I have a dream. In about 20 years when we're all old and gray, and don't have our noses in homeschooling books and websites, and aren't tripping over wet towels and stepping on Cheerios all day long, we can all meet at the Peterboro Tent Sale and have a 4Real Reunion. Doesn't that sound like fun????

Spring Tent Sale dates have been announced.....May 6-10.

Sue (soodow).....are you going???? If you do, you MUST come back and report!!!       

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 15 2009 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

Have you all watched this youtube video of the Petersboro Tent Sale IRL? It is so fun to watch......and I'm not quite sure WHY!    Maybe because after having a couple of these for awhile, I can just PICTURE myself there, ALL DAY, agonizing, thinking, pondering what baskets to buy. I seriously would be there ALL DAY LONG.    

I can't believe I hadn't seen this...the kids and I loved watching it! When they showed the lady with the van full of Peterboro baskets they said, "look mom, that lady doesn't even have as many as you!"      It's true...and I keep contemplating more. My second order just came in...baskets for the kid's books for next year. They're lovely...and of course, from the tent sale. I too can imagine myself there ALL.DAY.LONG! Maybe take a lunch break, ponder a few baskets that I was on the fence with...and then go back! Oh, Suzanne...let's meet for lunch there next year! OK? I can't wait til we're old and gray!

SuzanneG wrote:
I have a dream. In about 20 years when we're all old and gray, and don't have our noses in homeschooling books and websites, and aren't tripping over wet towels and stepping on Cheerios all day long, we can all meet at the Peterboro Tent Sale and have a 4Real Reunion.      Doesn't that sound like fun????

I'm buying my plane tickets now...but how will I get all my baskets home? No...I shall rent a van. My husband will be thrilled to hear of this plan as he is certain that I have spent a quarter of his salary with them already.

Maybe if we have a 4Real conference next year we can ask Peterboro to come as one of the vendors! They'd make a fortune! Can't you just imagine their table of lovely tent sale baskets right at the beginning of all the other vendor tables? Who wouldn't want a delicious large basket with handles to collect their goodies and carry their notebooks and snackies for the day? I ask you...could a single one of you resist? I should be their southeastern rep!      

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 15 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jen,
link to the ones you bought for the kids, please?
nk

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:

Maybe if we have a 4Real conference next year we can ask Peterboro to come as one of the vendors!

I bet they've never been to a homeschooling conference before!

I have a few of the shopper baskets with handles. HANDLES are AWESOME! Shall I write that again?????? HANDLES are AWESOME!

I have a couple that I inherited from my grandma, so they are at least 50 years old and still going strong, and then I bought the rectangle ones (that Jennifer already linked to) and then the square ones that were in the tent sale. They are so great for us, because we can pick up our baskets and go to other rooms to work/read in a snap.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Elizabeth wrote:
Jen,
link to the ones you bought for the kids, please?
nk

I don't see them in the tent sale anymore. I called Peterboro and told them I was looking for a basket that would hold a group of books standing up and that wouldn't tip over if it were set out in the middle of a table. Joan (the owner's wife) tried out all the baskets and suggested this one to me:

I looked through their site and found this basket to be very similar in size - my baskets are 14" x 14", and this basket is 14" x 9 1/4". You can see from the pics how many books mine hold, and I'm certain the smaller size would be just fine for most.

They're very helpful (although a little slow in the shipping department... ) so you might be able to call and make a request of them...goodness knows I've called them enough that I might be invited to their Christmas dinner this year - kidding! If you are interested in calling to inquire - they were called Peterboro Kitchen Storage baskets and the SKU number was: LargeDisplayTS.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 15 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jen,
I think I found your baskets. They're not on sale any more though.. Bummer. The ones pictured look narrower than yours but the dimensions listed sound the same. I never would have thought that many books would fit in those baskets.
Right now, my kids have their books in boat and tote bags. I'd like to re-purpose those for the pool this summer. I'm not sure where I'd put the baskets in my learning room though. Hmmm...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2009 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Jen's are 14 inches across . The ones they have avail reg. price are only 9 inches. It's worth watching and checking occasionally.....their products and stock and tent sale change constantly.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 15 2009 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Oh, I see. I misread it.Thanks, Suzanne. So, those won't do. That's a good thing, because I don't think I could justify buying one of them for each of my kids right now. Still thinking...

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2009 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I bought my unfinished wooden apple crates at Michael's for something like $5 or $10. They are extremely sturdy and fit a whole ton of books. One of my crates is dedicated to library books only and has held up for years. It looks very "farmhouse" if you know what I mean. But my husband likes to say I have a "basket psychosis" because we have so many. I guess I always pick up ones that are irresistably appealing AND on sale at all sorts of places- Marshalls, JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels. They're everywhere, of course. I have a ton holding all sorts of things. My favorite is a small Nantucket style basket hanging on a magnetic bullclip on the inside of our front door which handles outgoing mail and is very practical. The baskets with flat backs and hang-up handles are great for getting things up off counters and hutches. But for big hulking collections of books on the floor or shelving I would always use a wooden fruit crate.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 18 2009 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Heere's a pretty alternative and they condense several very nicely.

Not baskets...but pretty.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I recently blogged about my baskets and, goodness!, I had more than I thought I did.

I encourage others to blog. It's fun and, afterall, May is the month for baskets.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

They have a code, TULIPS, for 13% off until the 19th! Just in case anyone needed more enabling...

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 14 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

Yeah, right. Thanks!!

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2009 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Here is a sale on some baskets:SERRV is a fair trade organization. They are having a major clearance. I have been wanting some of their baskets for a long time, but I have absolutely NO extra funds this month!

check it out!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Just wanted to thank everyone who participated in the basket thread... when it came up I wasn't in a position to do anything about it, but now I am prepared to go shopping! I have repurposed and reused and worn all my baskets into the ground. I need some new ones. I actually looked up Peterborough on mapquest last night. It is exactly 3 hours and 48 minutes away from us. I was hoping it would be a day trip, but my dh did say he has some business in NH later in the year...

Is anybody using a Peterboro basket to hold toys like Matchbox cars, Schleich animals, etc.? The canvas bins I bought from Wal-mart a few years ago are on their last gasp. The metal skeletons are poking through. The baskets are durable enough to take boys, right?

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2009 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Tami wrote:
I"m getting ready to make a couple of these slip-covered crates mainly for my files, but I bet they'd work for books, too!

HOW CUTE! I am so glad you mentioned those. I have extra fabric AND plenty of those ugly plastic things. I hate buying new stuff so this is perfect.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Willa wrote:
Tami wrote:
I"m getting ready to make a couple of these slip-covered crates mainly for my files, but I bet they'd work for books, too!

HOW CUTE! I am so glad you mentioned those. I have extra fabric AND plenty of those ugly plastic things. I hate buying new stuff so this is perfect.

I agree!!! Thank you, Tami for posting this! This would make a great project for redeeming some of those ugly plastic crates...and Willa's right - if you use fabric already in your stash it's a win-win! I'm definitely bookmarking this to file in my inspirational projects folder! I hope I can carve out some time to try this! Wouldn't it be cute with a pink calico in the baby's room for diapers or storing clothes...or something more masculine and non-descript for my boy's room? (My boys love all shades of tan...how exciting can that be?) This would even be great in the learning room!!! Wouldn't your version of the file crate system look pretty in a dressed up, slipcovered crate? Can you tell I really love this idea?

Thanks so much, Tami! This is a great frugal idea!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
Is anybody using a Peterboro basket to hold toys like Matchbox cars, Schleich animals, etc.? The canvas bins I bought from Wal-mart a few years ago are on their last gasp. The metal skeletons are poking through. The baskets are durable enough to take boys, right?

I'm using all of my baskets for books...whether holding my books, or books for the kids. I do use a couple in the kitchen and one is my errand running basket.

I'm certain they could be used to contain toy collections, but I'm not sure how much boy abuse they will take, Angela. If it were an older son who was serious about his schleich collection, I'd say ...if it's for the younger set who frequently like to see how many people in your family they can fit in one container for a photo op (not that yours do, but mine definitely do this!) you might want to reconsider containing toy collections in them. I think you could use them to contain toy collections if you had them in the main area of your home where you would be able to offer consistent, "...that's not what we use this basket for...it's to hold your collection of _______. We can find something else to use as a step stool." ...or something like that.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using the baskets in this way at all!!!! But, I did want to be up front and say that as well built as these baskets are, I think they do have a limit.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I am dreaming of baskets.....

Can anyone give an update on there Peterboro Baskets after a year with them!

Thanks!!!!
Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version