Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2005 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I think the first time I noticed it was on the back of a Rosary prayer booklet. Here is a site that mentions it:
rosaries.com I googled rosary indulgence to get that site, but a bunch came up. I think only one listed it as partial, but I didn't investigate the conditions.

I had to do a talk on indulgences for confirmation students last year, and I was surprised at how many opportunities there are for plenary indulgences. It is nice to know to that they are commuted to partial indulgences if you can't take care of that attachment to sin issue which I know is a big one for me.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We're not going to the Basilica. DH has the stomach thing...

Willa has said you can't pick your Lent; apparently, you can't pick your Advent either.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

So sorry to hear this, Elizabeth! I'll pray for his quick recover and for an end to all the illness that's been affecting your family...

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
It is nice to know to that they are commuted to partial indulgences if you can't take care of that attachment to sin issue

Now I think I must have misunderstood this aspect of the plenary indulgences all these years. I thought it was sufficient to be committed to breaking every attachment to sin. As I re-read the wording I see this in not correct . Basically if you were free from every attachment to all sin, you'd be a saint, which I definitely am not.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote momwise

This Marian activity book for children might have some stuff you can use today and through Advent. Be forewarned that they have adapted the Scriptures for children, which is especially dumb in this case because at the beginning of the book it states "ages 9-11." Such is the state of modern catechesis . I see lots of things that your 5 yr. olds would enjoy. There is a cut out Nativity scene, wordsearch, crossword puzzle, nice Rosary coloring sheet, etc.

Visit the Gallery, which is part of the same site.

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

bump

great ideas!

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bump and a reminder that Dec. 8th, is a Holy Day of Obligation. I'm praying for the intentions of the members here .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We were at tonight's vigil Mass, and I especially prayed for Aussieanne's recovery.

This is one of my favorite feast days...somehow, the gentle reminder that the Blessed Mother, conceived without sin, could have sinned anyway but chose the "better part" throughout her life, is so inspirational to me. At Mass tonight, Father reminded us that we, too, are capable of turning toward God and the hope of Heaven, always. Sainthood is not a prerequisite. We can choose, freely, to avoid sin. Mary did...

Also, I think that at this hectic time of year it is heartening to see the faithful at Mass for the Holy Day. We set aside our worries and schedules and come together to honor Our Lady and strive to be like her. We had quite a few young families at Mass tonight - how cool is that!?

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 2:46am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I am glad this was bumped up again.
We have a big day today. It has been very difficult to find a Mass we can all attend. Our plan is 2:30pm , which is actually a Mass for the elderly...we'll just add a little young spice to it . We have a lot of ice on our sidewalks and bike paths here, so riding bikes to church is just too dangerous. I do not have a car, so I really have to do some coordinating/planning. (not my strength) Also, this afternoon at 5pm our family is presenting the day's Advent window. Everyday in Advent a family decorates a window in their home with an Advent theme. A Priest or Deacon or catechist supports each family and everyone is invited to the "opening". It lasts at the most 1/2 hour.
Yesterday's was truly sweet, but had absolutely no mention of anything Christian. Jesus was not even mentioned. It was all about Rudolph. There was not even one prayer! This really unsettled my 9 yr old who will be dressed as Our Lady today and her little sister as Eve. She is ready to strike!!!! I then explained to her that because our day falls on a high feast day there has to be a different emphasis    We read a little in the Innos Biffi books and the whole of "Take it to the Queen". This all gave her a new perspective, I hope.

After the Gluhwein and Lebkuchen and the guests leave our priest, Fr. Clemens, will bless our home. (I still need to clean) We will hopefully, have a nice dinner afterwards and then my dh will go to Vespers with Fr. Clemens.

Is there an indulgence for frantic american mothers in Germany????

Aussieannie and Lily are tops in my prayer list today!!!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

St. Ann wrote:
I am glad this was bumped up again.
We have a big day today. It has been very difficult to find a Mass we can all attend. Our plan is 2:30pm , which is actually a Mass for the elderly...we'll just add a little young spice to it . We have a lot of ice on our sidewalks and bike paths here, so riding bikes to church is just too dangerous. I do not have a car, so I really have to do some coordinating/planning. (not my strength) Also, this afternoon at 5pm our family is presenting the day's Advent window. Everyday in Advent a family decorates a window in their home with an Advent theme. A Priest or Deacon or catechist supports each family and everyone is invited to the "opening". It lasts at the most 1/2 hour.
Yesterday's was truly sweet, but had absolutely no mention of anything Christian. Jesus was not even mentioned. It was all about Rudolph. There was not even one prayer! This really unsettled my 9 yr old who will be dressed as Our Lady today and her little sister as Eve. She is ready to strike!!!! I then explained to her that because our day falls on a high feast day there has to be a different emphasis    We read a little in the Innos Biffi books and the whole of "Take it to the Queen". This all gave her a new perspective, I hope.

After the Gluhwein and Lebkuchen and the guests leave our priest, Fr. Clemens, will bless our home. (I still need to clean) We will hopefully, have a nice dinner afterwards and then my dh will go to Vespers with Fr. Clemens.

Is there an indulgence for frantic american mothers in Germany????

Aussieannie and Lily are tops in my prayer list today!!!

Oh, Stephanie, I'm glad you shared your wonderful traditions! Advent windows--what a cool idea. If you have the mind to post any pictures (hint, hint). I'm praying for your interior peace so you can get everything done. I know it will be wonderful!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

St. Ann wrote:
Is there an indulgence for frantic american mothers in Germany

Like Jenn, I was really intrigued by your Advent window tradition! Could you tell us more, Stephanie??? Maybe tomorrow...with a cup of tea in hand...and a beautiful Advent window before you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I think it's hilarious that Rudolph is the focus of a German Advent window. The world gets smaller every day!

Stephanie, you're in my prayers today - I would love to live in Germany for a while and experience these traditions for myself!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Oh I would love to hear about the Advent windows too. How wonderful that you get to present yours today!!

One of the things I've done differently this year (since the cat broke our Mary statue ) is print a beautiful image of the Annunciation and put it on the table with a candle and silk roses. I did this not to confuse anyone but because it's something that IS so often confused and I want it to be crystal clear in my children's minds and hearts. It was at the Annunciation that the angel Gabriel declared Mary to be "full of grace" or more literally translated from the Greek, "She who has been perfected in grace" and these are the readings for the mass today. I want them to understand clearly the difference between the Virginal Conception of Christ and Mary's Immaculate Conception as these are so often confused even by Catholics.

Were going to be going to mass (extraordinary form) at noon, picking up lunch and coming home to read some Maria stories and watch parts of All Generations Shall Call Me Blessed.

It is my youngest's (Maria Faustina Immaculata) feast day but since tomorrow is her birthday we're saving the cake until then. We did, however, bake cookies last night.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

I have never heard of Advent windows. I hope you can share more about those with us. : )

Michele, those are some lovely ideas!

We attended the 9am mass this morning and I was pleased to see how full the church was. I feel so blessed as a SAHM on days like today. It makes it so much easier to attend mass.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Just checking in to say all went well. Very well, in fact!

Mom survived

When I have my coffee tomorrow morning I will try to tell you a bit more.
Thanks for all the support!!!

I feel like Our Lady was smiling upon us.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Adding This thread about the Mary Candle. Stephanie uploaded a fabulous image of hers.

Also see Advent Window for her village's very fabulous tradition!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version