Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent Window Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

In another post I mentioned that our family prepared an "Advent Window" for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I promised to explain a little about this tradition in our Parish.

To begin, I wouldn't say this is a german thing, because this is the first Parish(of many I have known here) in which I encountered this custom. It is translatable in every culture. Helpful is being in a geographically close Parish. I would say that our Parish is not larger than 5 square miles. Yes, small town. Our Parish is already consolidated from 4 Parishes to 1. So, we have 4 Church buildings which make up this 5 mile Parish.......Anyhoo...
In November a letter goes out to all the families of first communicants for the coming spring asking who would like to prepare an Advent Window for one day during Advent. Every single evening during Advent (until the 23rd of December) one family prepares /decorates a window and a meditation or prayer or story/songs... for interested parish members. It all takes place outside and lasts no longer than 30minutes. People usually offer a hot drink and cookies afterwards and people chat warmly together. It does create a somewhat intimate atmosphere.
Our family prepared a "Live" window. Two of our daughters portrayed the Blessed Mother and Eve. I got the idea from a picture of the same that was shown on several websites, The Anchoress for one. I believe it was titled "O EVE". My dh loved the idea and found it theologically very helpful to get across the meaning of this feast day. Our Priest greeted everyone at the beginning and we all sang a well known advent song. He then read the Gospel of the day and my dh read some thoughts about the meaning of the Feast introducing the still hidden window. We sang a German version of "O come O come Emmanuel" (different melody) and then we prayed the "Our Father". Father prayed the Oration (adventliche Praefation Marienmesse)

Open window shades.......and voila'!!!

We ended the service? ceremony? with the song "Maria durch ein Dornwald ging".

The whole atmosphere was very warm and the guests were visibly moved. I would bet that our family was the only family present who attended Mass that day. I don't mention this to judge anyone. I am just saying that this Feast day is almost meaningless to many Catholics, because they just don't know anything about it, which is to say they don't realize the beauty of it and the hope it could/should give each one of us. I pray that those present last night could discover a bit more to love about our Catholic Faith.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, Stephanie, this is so neat! Thanks for sharing the details. Wish you had pictures. So let me ask something I'm not clear about - this takes at the church or at the individual parishioner's home??

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Mary, each family prepares one window in their own home. So, every evening is at another residence.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That is really neat - a little traveling about to visit parishioners in the area.   

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

St. Ann wrote:
Our family prepared a "Live" window. Two of our daughters portrayed the Blessed Mother and Eve. I got the idea from a picture of the same that was shown on several websites, The Anchoress for one. I believe it was titled "O EVE". My dh loved the idea and found it theologically very helpful to get across the meaning of this feast day.

Oh this sounds lovely!! I know exactly what picture you're talking about because I printed it and we've been looking at it a lot recently.

Quote:
Open window shades.......and voila'!!!

The one thing I miss about Germany is those shades. I REALLY wish I had them here!

Quote:
I pray that those present last night could discover a bit more to love about our Catholic Faith.

Really Stephanie, what a beautiful witness!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

This sounds really cool, Stephanie.

OK, my German is kind of so-so. I get the grammatical gist of the song title, but I'm lost in the vocabulary. Ummm ..what is a Dornwald?

Do you by any chance have pictures? We would love to see them!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

hylabrook1 wrote:

OK, my German is kind of so-so. I get the grammatical gist of the song title, but I'm lost in the vocabulary. Ummm ..what is a Dornwald?

Peace,
Nancy

Thanks Nancy! The English title is similar to "Mary went amid the thorns".
I am trying to get a photo mailed to Jenn. I just need to figure out the attachment thingy

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here's the picture.
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

This is just beautiful!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Oh my that's beautiful!! Thanks for showing us!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

St. Ann wrote:
hylabrook1 wrote:

Peace,
Nancy

Thanks Nancy! The English title is similar to "Mary went amid the thorns".

Maria durch ein Dornwald ging

a few You Tube versions

The music can be found in Around the Year with the Trapp Family and the Trapp Family Book of Christmas Songs. The .pdf on this page includes the sheet music.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I took the photo yesterday afternoon after the fact. The actual event was the evening before while dark. Eve did not wear pink socks during the real thing .

Jenn, you are the best!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Stephanie,
I really enjoyed reading about your Advent window and especially enjoyed the picture you shared! Thank you!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Thank you, Stephanie and Jenn.

What a beautiful Advent window; Maria durch ein Dornwald ging is just beautiful.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Trinity
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote Trinity

Thank you for sharing more with us, Stephanie. : ) What a lovely photo!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version