Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Tomie de Paola Advent and Christmas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Gwen... I have never heard of it... but I am certainly interested Thanks for mentioning it.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

jenngm67 wrote:
It WAS the 21st, now July 3. Quite a change of seasons when you are trying to do traditional feast day celebrations! A shepherd's pie doesn't seem as appealing in Summer!

Former Feast of St. Thomas ideas. This day was a deadline of sorts...cleaning and baking for Christmas countdown starts on this day!

The kids and I just read Christmas Folk by Natalia Belting/illustrated by famed Barbara Cooney the other day. I'm pretty sure it's OOP. Copyright 1969. We found a copy at the library.

I didn't realize St. Thomas Day was changed. This book takes you through "The hallow days of Yule are here..." beginning with:

St. Andrew on Nov. 30,
St. Barbara on Dec. 4,
St. Nicholas on Dec. 6,
St. Finan's Eve on Dec. 12,
something about the green men and wee gray men (they look like Irish fold)on Dec. 17,
St. Thomas Eve on Dec. 20,
St. Thomas on Dec. 21,
Dec. 24 "White-mitered, like bishops, White-sheeted, The guisers go out, March round about, Sunwise, round about, Sing at each house, For luck, For cakes."
Dec 25th
Then into the Twelve Days of Yule with St. George
Jan. 5 "The season Yule comes now to its end."
Twelfth Night.

My little one's b-day is Dec. 20th so the girls are planning to:

"On Thomas' eve no work be done,
Or feast or frolic, none...
...But maids will peel
And sleep on onions,
Praying: 'Good St. Thomas, do me right,
Send me my true love tonight;
In his clothes and his array,
Which he weareth every day,
That I may see him in the face."

I assume that it was believed that by sleeping on onions and saying this prayer on St. Thomas' eve, they'd see their future husband.

At the back of the book it reads "...artist Barbara Cooney gives a rich, detailed interpretation to these otherwise little-known Yuletide customs."

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Great tip Cay! They've got a few copies of Christmas Folkat Amazon. I've noticed that when something gets mentioned here, and it's OOP, it doesn't last long at amazon.com!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the suggestion on the book, Cay.

From Father Weiser's The Christmas Book he mentions

There is an old legend that when many years had passed the Magi were visited by St. Thomas the Apostle, who after instructing them in Chrsitianity, baptized them. They were then ordained to the priesthood and late made bishops.

Another link to the Christmas story!

I see the wisdom in moving his feast, though. The focus is on Advent and the readings. If we keep having saints' days during the final countdown, the focus is lost. An apostle should have a stand alone day for his feast.

Don't forget the O Antiphons start on December 17. That is a big focus in our family. My favorite description to use in the family is from Florence Berger in Cooking for Christ. Even my father participated in this which made for some of my most cherished memories.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

More on O Antiphons:

Some music for the chant.

Of course, the verses to O Come, O Come Emmanuel are the Antiphons for each day.

This Dominican convent's blog is going to post the antiphon and music for each day.

Dominican House of Studies has the Latin versions online, also. This would the chant said at the Liturgy of the Hours or Mass.

Some recordings I have of the O Antiphons:

In English

ST. Meinrad Archabbey recording.

I think I have a few others...but this is what I remember.

I have one little booklet that could be used with the family, A final small booklet I have is Hasten the Kingdom: Praying the O Antiphons of Advent by Mary Winifred, printed by Liturgical Press.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Just to let you all know, the language is old-fashion rhyme (my girls couldn't quite understand all the poetic flow) but Cooney's illustrations held their attention and offered lots of observation and discussion.

I can't find a picture of it online so I scanned it. Now I can't seem to get it sized to fit here so it's on my blog.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

jenngm67 wrote:
Another link to the Christmas story!

I see the wisdom in moving his feast, though. The focus is on Advent and the readings. If we keep having saints' days during the final countdown, the focus is lost. An apostle should have a stand alone day for his feast.

Jenn,
You never cease to amaze me.

I was just fixing to ask why, oh why, do they change the feast days and move them around when there is such beauty to be found in the more traditional days and ways. Like St. Barbara, she's all but forgotten!

I see your point though. Thanks for addressing it.

mom to 5

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Hi,
When I just reread Clown of God, what struck me was the statue of the Christ Child and the special place we as Catholics give to the Christ Child not just at Christmas time - there are so many devotions around the world specific to the Holy Child. It may be that this struck me because I had also just reread Santo for Pasqualita where it talks about the Nino de Atocha. I think a nice addition to the unit study for this week would be to look at some of the devotion to the Holy Child and learn about the specific devotions and history and symbolism of what He is holding in each of the statues. Some of the most well known being:

Infant of Prague (Czech Republic)
Santo Nino de Atocha (Spain, Mexico)
Santo Bambino di Aracoeli or Lama dei Peligni (Italy)
Santo Nino of Cebu (Philippines)
Divino Nino de Bogata (Columbia)

This Devotions to Infant Jesus website has an overview and links to various pages. On this page there are some images of saints traditionally depicted holding the infant Jesus (Mary , Joseph, Christopher, Anthony, Cajetan)

Consecration of your child to the Infant Jesus would be a special touch to add this Advent.

To add on to your list and tie in the Italian traditions, there is the Gesu Bambino in Rome's Church of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli. I found information in the Christmas in Italy from Worldbook (MaryM mentioned in another thread) and also it's mentioned in this Christmas Crib by Nesta de Robeck, online book.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The Bambino Jenn mentioned is placed into a very, very old presepe (creche) scene...our pastor in Italy, Monsignor Sable, told us that part of the presepe dates from the 4th century. We made a special trip to see it.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

guitarnan wrote:
The Bambino Jenn mentioned is placed into a very, very old presepe (creche) scene...our pastor in Italy, Monsignor Sable, told us that part of the presepe dates from the 4th century. We made a special trip to see it.

Oh, that's so neat!

Got this from the VIS today. Anyone have some links with pictures of this creche?

RESTORATION OF NATIVITY SCENE BY ARNOLFO DI CAMBIO

VATICAN CITY, DEC 15, 2005 (VIS) - A nativity scene, one of the most famous works of art to be housed in the Roman Basilica of St. Mary Major, will be presented to the public today following several months of restoration work.

The nativity scene was created by the Florentine sculptor Arnolfo di Cambio - whose death 700 years ago is currently being recalled with a series of exhibitions and cultural events throughout Italy - between 1290 and 1292 at the behest of Nicholas IV, the first Pope from the Franciscan Order. The pontiff ordered Arnolfo di Cambio to construct a nativity scene in the form of a chapel, in order to encourage devotion for the relic of the manger, which according to tradition is housed in St. Mary Major.

The sculpture has undergone interventions and alterations over the centuries, and only a few figures from the original nativity scene have survived: St. Joseph, the ox and the ass, and the three Magi. The most famous intervention was that undertaken by the architect Domenico Fontana who in 1590, by order of Pope Sixtus V, transferred the whole group beneath the altar of St. Mary Major's Sistine Chapel, which was then being built.

The restoration, ordered by Cardinal Bernard Law, archpriest of the Basilica, involved studies on the work's artistic and historical context, and the technique with which it was created, as well as photographic studies and a series of scientific investigations on remaining traces of polychromy. The restoration revealed, among other things, that a sculpture of the Virgin with Child, which had long been considered to be a work of the late Renaissance, is actually the original of Arnolfo di Cambio's nativity scene, its front re-sculpted in accordance with the artistic fashions of the late sixteenth century.

The restoration work was directed by the experts Arnold Nesselrath and Luciano Ermo of the general direction of the Vatican Museums. The nativity scene is currently on display in the museum of St. Mary Major, awaiting the completion of restoration work in the basilica's Sistine Chapel.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Nancy,

Did you live in Italy? We were stationed at Aviano AFB and knew Monsignor Sable!!!! He was a good friend of ours and such a special man. He blessed our wedding on our 15th anniversary while we were over there.

What a small world!!

Blessings,
Lisa

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2005 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Elizabeth,

Where are you posting the plans on the 4Real Learning website? Or have you put them there. I think I missed something.

Thanks!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 18 2005 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lisa,

Yes, we were in Gaeta for two years, 2002-2004. Monsignor was our contract priest...but you know, I'm sure, that he was much more than that. He tried so hard to help us understand how things work at the Vatican, how to visit St. Peter's and get the most out of the experience, how to get to know the American seminarians in Rome...how Italy really works...

Sigh. Now I'm homesick.

Are you still an active duty USAF family?

The world is very small...that's a very good thing.

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2005 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Nancy,

I still can't believe we both knew Monsignor Sable.

Yes, we're still an AF family. I posted a few weeks ago for prayer about our upcoming assignment. We're hoping to get Langley, AFB in Virginia. It's our last assignment before retirement and we'd like to settle down there. I'm from Northern Va and it would be so great to finally be back home! Please pray for us.

Merry Christmas!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 20 2005 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I remember now! And, I've been praying for your assignment. We're still waiting for orders for next summer. I truly do know how you feel!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Great tip Cay! They've got a few copies of Christmas Folk at Amazon. I've noticed that when something gets mentioned here, and it's OOP, it doesn't last long at amazon.com!

Just got my copy today. Thanks for the recommendation! It's a great book. I also received "Hark! A christmas Sampler" and am enjoying that.

I have a book recommendation. My mil had picked up from her local library book sale On Christmas Day in the Morning by John Langstaff. This is a collection of 4 or 5 medieval Christmas carols lavishly illustrated. This version was illustrated by Antony Groves-Raines, Harcourt, Brace, 1959. The book has been reprinted with a different illustrator, Melissa Sweet. But I HIGHLY recommend the original illustrations. Here are some links to see Groves-Raines' style. He is quite detailed, with a medieval flair and very colorful.

Guinness Illustrator

Hans Anderson

On Christmas Day in the Morning

I found several copies on www.bookfinder.com...just make sure you are getting the 1959 version.

Ds loves the books that illustrate the Christmas carols. That's how he memorized "Good King Wenceslaus" because of Mary Reed Newland's book that we own. This book was no different...he learned "I Saw Three Ships" in a jiffy!

I saw this list of Great Christmas Carol Books and wondering if anyone could give me feedback on these books, particularly the Huron Carol one.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2005 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

jenngm67 wrote:
I saw this list of Great Christmas Carol Books and wondering if anyone could give me feedback on these books, particularly the Huron Carol one.

Jenn, I have the Huron Carol shown here and it is beautiful. The illustrations are similar to the cover....color painting surrounded by a "frame" with a blue and white pattern. Text is word for word the carol and it includes the words and music plus a page at the end telling the story of St. John de Brebeuf.

O Holy Night comes with a great CD of the Harlem Boys' Choir and is also word for word for the carols. The art is by Faith Ringgold, which is very colorful with a privitive look. Carols include Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Holy Night, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, and Joy to the World. Thanks for bringing this up! I need to get my CD out of the back of the book    

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2005 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
Jenn, I have the Huron Carol shown here and it is beautiful. The illustrations are similar to the cover....color painting surrounded by a "frame" with a blue and white pattern. Text is word for word the carol and it includes the words and music plus a page at the end telling the story of St. John de Brebeuf.

O Holy Night comes with a great CD of the Harlem Boys' Choir and is also word for word for the carols. The art is by Faith Ringgold, which is very colorful with a privitive look. Carols include Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Holy Night, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, and Joy to the World. Thanks for bringing this up! I need to get my CD out of the back of the book    

Thanks, Gwen!!!! Time to add more to my wish list.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more book recommendation. I just got some boxes back from my ds that got lost in the shuffle of our move and it had the Life Book of Christmas, 3 volume set from 1963. I found a few copies on ebay in searching right now. I usually don't like compilations, but these are really well done, with full-color pictures and grand artwork, explanations of the traditions and history of Christmas, and includes music, crafts, recipes, games and much more. Also full of quotes from great writers on Christmas.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Quick Hurry! If you have ideas for Week 2 of the Tomie unit, chime in now so I can incorporate them on the revised plan.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version