Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Tomie de Paola Advent and Christmas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Working on week 3. If you have a chance, take a look at it on Real Learning and see if you have any ideas or books to add. Post them here and I'll incorporate them into the newly revised plan!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Hi,
When I just reread Clown of God, what struck me was the statue of the Christ Child and the special place we as Catholics give to the Christ Child not just at Christmas time - there are so many devotions around the world specific to the Holy Child. It may be that this struck me because I had also just reread Santo for Pasqualita where it talks about the Nino de Atocha. I think a nice addition to the unit study for this week would be to look at some of the devotion to the Holy Child and learn about the specific devotions and history and symbolism of what He is holding in each of the statues. Some of the most well known being:

Infant of Prague (Czech Republic)
Santo Nino de Atocha (Spain, Mexico)
Santo Bambino di Ara Coeli or Lama dei Peligni (Italy)
Santo Nino of Cebu (Philippines)
Divino Nino de Bogata (Columbia)

This Devotions to Infant Jesus website has an overview and links to various pages. On this page there are some images of saints traditionally depicted holding the infant Jesus (Mary , Joseph, Christopher, Anthony, Cajetan)

Consecration of your child to the Infant Jesus would be a special touch to add this Advent.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Along the same line, there's a book Stories of the Child Jesus from Many Lands that has some delightful stories.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

And I guess you could add in the Jesus Stocking (all good deeds placed in there for Jesus or the manger with the 'hay' placed in there for each good deed...

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
It may be that this struck me because I had also just reread Santo for Pasqualita where it talks about the Nino de Atocha.

We just picked up our copy from the library. I'll use it this week with the consecration prayer. Thanks!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Clown of God also makes very vivid the idea of offering our special gifts/talents or any humble offerings to the Lord. Just as Giovanni offered his juggling and Lucida offers the weeds (which become the poinsettias) the children can think of special gifts/talents/offerings they can make to Jesus. For this reason, I also think the carol of the Little Drummer Boy fits in well here as something to listen to this week - he had no gift to offer but his drumming - pa rum pum pum pum

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:21am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
- there are so many devotions around the world specific to the Holy Child.   

I just noticed that the topic scheduled for Catholic Answers Live (radio program) for Friday, December 16 is "The Holy Infant Jesus" with Ann Ball. I assume it will talk about the devotions to the Infant Jesus. It looks like she has a new book, The Holy Infant Jesus, that will be published next year about the images of the Holy Child throughout the world. On her website you can print out prayer cards for three of the Infant Jesus images.

Our Domestic Church

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I can't get through Clown of God.    One of the kids always has to finish it.      Yesterday as I was trying to finish Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt my 5 yo ds said, "I don't like it when you cry at the end of the books." So should I try to get through Clown again or just skip it?

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Gwen,
I think you should cry. It's good for all to see a book move you.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
I can't get through Clown of God.    One of the kids always has to finish it.      Yesterday as I was trying to finish Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt my 5 yo ds said, "I don't like it when you cry at the end of the books." So should I try to get through Clown again or just skip it?

We're criers over here. Tomie de Paola has now made me read through tears over three of his books..."Clown of God", "Night of Las Posadas" and "Now One Foot, Now the Other." Either I get choked up or the tears flow readily! I haven't read all of deP books yet, so I don't know what else will get me! But I continue to read them.

We have other books in our "lineup" that bring me to tears on their beauty. This board book Who Is Coming to Our House that I love. I get choked up at the end with Mary and Joseph holding the new baby Jesus..."Welcome, Welcome, to our house."

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I second the crying... Cay Gibson mentions it in Literature Alive too ...
Just tell him you think the story is sad at that point... or they are happy tears... and that he can cry if he likes

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was searching for another set of books and came across this Betty Crocker's Cooky Book and thought I would pass on the recommendation. This is a reprint. I grew up with this cookbook...my mother and my paternal grandmother had it. It's so great because there is a color illustration of at least half the cookies. It's not a thick book, and you might have recipes that are tried and true, but to have the illustrations are just priceless...I like having visual aids! ! It's an adult cookbook, but I found as a child I would pore over the pages just looking and learning about the different types of cookies. In Elizabeth's unit, when looking for "pouring, sifting, stirring" this book will give ample inspiration!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've only recently started enjoying de Paola, and never did an author study about him. I've noticed that his "signature" is sometimes a little heart. I'm not sure what time frame that signature can be found. I've seen it in a few of our books "First Christmas" and "Country Angel Christmas"...but I haven't looked in all the rest.

It's a hidden picture to find in his stories, which is fun. But I'd love to hear more info about it if anyone knows.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Have you tried his website? www.tomie.com.
I think he says why in there...

Lighting a Fire

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
Have you tried his website? www.tomie.com.
I think he says why in there...

Thanks. I thought I had combed that site, but here's a quick explanation:

Q: Why do you sign your name with a heart and why do you draw hearts in your books?
A: The heart has become a sort of symbol for me. I also use it as shorthand or an abbreviation for "love."

I hope one day he'll write a book on St. Nicholas and St. Lucia...to round off Advent Saints....course, I have loads more requests!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Not to mention St. Thomas who apparently was the 19th (I think). I was reading the other day about Thomasing with some special cookies...

Lighting a Fire

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Ah-ha... there I see why Thomas is forgot... they moved his feast after the calendar reform

Lighting a Fire

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
Not to mention St. Thomas who apparently was the 19th (I think). I was reading the other day about Thomasing with some special cookies...

It WAS the 21st, now July 3. Quite a change of seasons when you are trying to do traditional feast day celebrations! A shepherd's pie doesn't seem as appealing in Summer!

Former Feast of St. Thomas ideas. This day was a deadline of sorts...cleaning and baking for Christmas countdown starts on this day!

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2005 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

we post together... they used to go a'thomassing on his day in search of the stuff for the feast of St. Thomas. It seems such a shame to change that one...
That'll teach me to read old books

Lighting a Fire

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Another thought on the Infant Jesus thread.....I was in the Adoration chapel yesterday and found a prayer book containing the Stations of the Infant Jesus. I have never heard of these. There are 12 stations of Jesus from the Incarnation to young boy with meditations and prayers. It looks like a beautiful prayer for the Christmas season. Anyone else know about it?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version