Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Epiphany Picture Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Compiling a list of Epiphany Books for future reference. Please add any others, as you can just never have enough Epiphany books!   

Legend of Old Befana dePaola

Story of the Three Wise Kings, dePaola

Baboushka: A Christmas Folktale from Russia. Ill: Helen Caan.   I found this one last year and loved it. It's gorgeous, and the kids love it.

The Last Straw Everyone's all-time favorite!!!

They Followed a Bright Star

Gifts of the Magi

The Christmas Star

Danny and the Kings

The Little Boy's Christmas Gift, John Spiers. A caravan of travelers accompany the Magi to Bethlehem. Reviewed in 4 Real thread.

Hurray for Three King's Day. Siblings celebrate "Three Kings Day" in the Latino community.

We Three Kings by Gennady Spirin. The lyrics to the Song, with beautiful illustrations, as usual!

Cay has these listed in Christmas Mosaic, and I want to get them via ILL in Jan/Feb....as I haven't seen them yet:

**Song of the Camels,    Elizabeth Coatsworth
**What Star is this?      Slate/Jay
**Three Kings and a Star,    Fred Crump Jr.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Thanks Suzanne for the list...so nice to have them all in one place.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2008 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Some that we enjoy in addition to the above:

Baboushka and the Three Kings by Ruth Robbins, illustrated by Nicolas Sidjakov (Caldecott Medal winner of 1961)

The Stone: A Persian Legend of the Magi by Dianne Hofmeyr, Pictures by Jude Daly

The Fourth Wise Man by Mary Joslin, illustrated by Richard Johnson

And not exactly directly Epiphany, but I saw this short story by O Henry at the bookstore and just loved the illustrations.

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, P.J. Lynch (Illustrator).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping and adding one I just found:

Song of the Camels, a poem by Elizabeth Coatsworth, author of The Sally Series. It's the story of the three kings from the camel's point of view.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 26 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I thought I would post my favorite picture books we use to celebrate Epiphany. I would love to see other people's favorites as well.

1. The Legend of Old Befana by Tomie de Paola - From the book, “Every year, on the Feast of the Three Kings, January the sixth, Old Befana visits all the children of Italy and leaves them candies, cookies, and gifts. It is said that she is searching for the Christ Child. There are many stories about Old Befana and how she began her search. This is one of them.”

2. The Last Straw by Frederick H. Thury - A beautiful story about a camel traveling with the Wise Men who learns the lesson of humility.

3. The Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke - The story of a fourth Wise Man who missed meeting his companions to travel to see the Christ child. He begins searching alone and uses the gifts intended for Jesus to instead help people in harms way. The ending will have you in tears. A wonderful reminder to children that “Whenever you helped one of my people in need, you helped Me.”

4. We Three Kings by Gennady Spirin - A beautifully illustrated version of the song “We Three Kings of Orient Are.”

5. The Story of the Three Wise Kings by Tomie de Paola - a lovely retelling of the story of the arrival of the Wise Men.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up..

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Three that we are enjoying that aren't on the list:

The Christmas Camel, by Nancy Winslow Parker.

This is an older book we checked out from the library. Uncle Clyde sends a camel for Christmas, and includes all sorts of instructions and facts about him. Although not an Epiphany book, it does give a lot of good (but humorously presented) info on camels. And if you have children, they are very interested in the animals of the creche scene.

The Story of Befana: an Italian Christmas Tale by Ilse Plume, also printed as The Christmas Witch, but I believe it's the same book.

This is another version of Befana. She isn't presented as grumpy. It also explains (away) a bit the magic and witch background. I really love Ilse Plume's work, and this was no disappointment. The funny thing is that she isn't presented as a witch at all.

Federico and the Magi’s Gift: A Latin American Christmas Story by Beatriz Vidal. Amazon doesn't provide an illustrations, so here's the B&N picture of the cover.

These illustrations are just stunning. Federico is awaiting Epiphany and the gifts from the Magis, but thinks he might not get any gifts. Epiphany Eve he goes out and sees the stars in the form of the Magis, and then hurries back into bed so they can leave their gifts. Gives a good idea of the cultural customs of Epiphany from South America.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, one more. I love finding different versions of legends and comparing them.

The Legend of Befana by Henry Chafetz, drawings by Ronni Solbert.

This is another version of Befana. Ilse Plume's version has Befana living in the Alps of Northern Italy. This version has her living in Judea. She went with her donkey in search of the Christ Child and the Three Kings, even down to Rome to ask the Roman Emperor where the new King of the Jews could be. She ended up staying in Italy sharing the gifts.

It's a long story, but a lot of factual information intertwined into the legend, so very interesting. The drawings are also very simple but appealing.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Epiphany is coming - adding titles...

The Third Gift - Linda Sue Park (recently reviewed in this 4 Real thread)

SuzanneG wrote:
Story of the Three Wise Kings, dePaola
Was reprinted last year as a part of the collection of Christmas stories, Joy to the World.     So happy to see if back in print!!

Old Befana - Anne Rockwell (out of print)
Small book format, nice black and white illustrations.
Most complete accounting of the original legend - depicts the woman having lost a baby so has adequate background for the story and her sadness/grumpiness. Sends the kings away. Relunctantly lets shepherd in and hears his story. Later decides to find the baby king but can't and wanders looking for him - leaving gifts for children in case they are the tiny king she seeks.

Babushka: An Old Russian Folk Tale - Charles Mikolaycak

The Little Drummer Mouse - Mercer Mayer

ETA: Meant to add this as well:
The Happy Orpheline - Natalie Savage Carlson

I just stumbled on this old series. Only time it has been mentioned here is an old thread on France. They are longer than picture books but a very short chapter book. The books are set in France, so it is a good series for anything French. Story of little orphan girls, incorporate French traditions. They have many references to the Catholic faith as a part of the girls lives. Very sweet. This particular one discusses "the feast of the kings" - has a chapter about it with customs and traditions interwoven into the story line. Also mentions La Chandeleur, "...but the creche with its tiny clay figures of Holy Ones and villagers would stay in place until La Chandeleur, the day of Candlemas."

Oh, and it has Garth Williams' illustrations!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 05 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Totally out of season but better to post it sometime than not at all.

The First Christmas Gifts - old OOP Hertha Pauli book, excellent addition to read for this feast

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Totally out of season but better to post it sometime than not at all.

The First Christmas Gifts - old OOP Hertha Pauli book, excellent addition to read for this feast

Oh, thanks for the tip! She has lovely books. She wrote one of the Vision Books.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version