Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Twilight series? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I was hoping to avoid these books. We do wizards but I'm not so sure about vampires. A friend lent it to dd13 (her friend, not mine) and now she is reading it. I had wanted to pre-read but........

Should I grab it from her and ban it or let her read the first one and drag out the series. She is not a fast reader and she already told me she knows she won't be reading the fourth book.

Lavenderfields
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Lavenderfields

This probably won't be of any help to you, but my dd18 told me not to let her sister 11 almost 12 read them. There is another thread on this book, but I don't know how to link, but do a search.

God Bless
Robynn
Back to Top View Lavenderfields's Profile Search for other posts by Lavenderfields

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I tried searching and did not come up with anything. I'll let her finish this book.... although she is going on retreat this weekend so I suppose I could curl up, ignore the boys and read it myself, then decide.

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I DID read the bio on the author, and she is LDS and it almost seemed to appear like the wholesome Mormons were supporting her efforts?
I kind of got a mixed message when reading about her and her intent.
I don't have kids who would be interested in the series, but it has been an issue in our local group recently...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is the link to a short thread with a few posts from spring.

Honestly I had not paid much attention to this earlier thread and don't know the books, but quite coincidentally a local homeschool friend of mine just sent this link to me to post to our local homeschool group. It was written by a Catholic youth minister who is somehow connected to their family. It's a website/blog specifically dealing with these books from a Catholic critique perspective.
-Spes Unica

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

The first book only at 13. It gets too adult in their feelings as the series proceeds. The 4th book is Very adult as in marital relations happen. I don't want to give spoilers in case anyone wants to read the series on their own.
I did enjoy them as I really like vampires! I have read many things about the author (and her website too). She states in something I read these books are intended for late high school through young adult (18-24 age range).
If you need more specifics, you can PM me if you like.

I am hoping the movie is good. It opens Friday!

Marybeth

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

My dd12 has been asking to read these and wants to see the movie. She's read all the Harry Potter books and has seen most of the movies. I'm ok with those for her maturity level. But these Twilight books, I'm not so sure about.

I read a review of these from a christian (not specifically Catholic) book review site (can't remember where it was), and they basically said it's "evil". I'm not necessarily buying into that.

What I don't like, personally, is the intensity of the relationship between Bella and Edward. She is willing to give up everything for him. And they seem to romanticize that aspect. That is just too strong a message and it's not the kind of thing I want my daughter exposed to right now. Just like I wouldn't have let her read Harry Potter at age 8, I don't want her reading this at age 12. I'm sure she could handle this kind of thing when she's late teens to early twenties, but not now.

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Marybeth wrote:
The first book only at 13. It gets too adult in their feelings as the series proceeds.

I completely agree. I am not at all into vampires but I loooooooved this series . I'm going to see the movie with a group of friends, tonight, in fact. But the emotional intensity between Edward and Bella is very strong, and I don't think I'd let my dd read it until she was.... at least 16...17 maybe? It's different than Harry Potter- we aren't just dealing with forces of good and evil here, we're dealing with romantic feelings that are very intense and increase in that intensity with each book. I'm not sure I'd want my teenage daughter to be wrapped up in that. Just my opinion, of course.

P.S. If you are a Twilight fan, go to my flickr page-- some girlfriends took me to Forks a few weeks ago to do the Twilight tour!! Fun!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

ladycarobe
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote ladycarobe

I totally agree, the romantic/emotional intensity is very strong and not suited for young teens.

Sarah, I visited your flickr page...how cool!

ETA, I don't think that it is necessary to snatch the book away from your daughter now that she is already reading it. If you read it quickly after she finishes and talk about it with her, everything will be fine.

mom to dd6 , dd4 and dd2 and pregnant.
Back to Top View ladycarobe's Profile Search for other posts by ladycarobe

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 21 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

My 18 yr old dd has been reading Christian author Karen Kingsbury in between her college and work schedules. So I was surprised to see the first Twilight book on her bedspread the other day. One of her friends must have loaned it to her.

Then yesterday, on the way to a soccer tournament in New iberia, one of the girls (she's 15) was talking about the books. She said the first one wasn't the best and was hard to get into but the second one was great.

I haven't read them and, like MaryM., hadn't paid much attention to threads concerning them. Now I'm all ears...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Twillight is showing up everywhere now. I did not read the book over the weekend, but I did not let my dd take it with her on her retreat. When we picked up the other girl riding with us to the retreat guess which book she was holding......yes Twillight. Dd came home and reported that most of the girls she hung out with on the retreat had read the books and some girls had already seen the movie. Being a mom and protecting our children is such hard work!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mary Chris wrote:
Being a mom and protecting our children is such hard work!

Argh. Tell me about it

I posted a compilation of reviews and comments, in case it's helpful for anyone -- Amy Welborn's, Regina Doman's, and Maureen Wittmann's are included.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Stef, I did look through those. She is into the book now, I will let her finish it. She is my reluctant reader, and with her dyslexia, she'll probably miss some of the stuff in the book anyway.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version