Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Twilight books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 01 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

My 14 yr old dd has several friends who are reading a series of books called
Twilight that is about a family of "nice" vampires. Does anyone know anything about the series?

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

Have you checked out the write up and reviews at Amazon?

I do find it helpful to quickly look through both some positive and negative reviews if it is a book I don't know.

Looks a little outside my comfort zone but I don't have any first hand experience.

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 04 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

I did just now read through some of the reviews. Thanks, Donna for the link
to the Amazon page, btw. I'm really put off by what I've read so far, and it
sure doesn't sound like anything worth reading. All the customer reviews, though, are of the writing style, characters, etc, not moral issues, and all written by fans of vampire books (which I definitely am not). I'll probably
read it just so I can tell my daughter I read it, but it doesn't really sound appropriate. Still, I'd be interested in any comments by anyone here who has read the book, or heard anything about it. Since I was against Harry Potter until I read it, I hate to just reject it out of hand.

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

stephanie
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 05 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote stephanie

IMO, I wouldn't let my 14 year old read it. I recently read the first two and decided not to continue on with the series. The main character has an unhealthy obsession with a vampire boy and it's is not how I would want a teen dating relationship portrayed to a young girl.
Back to Top View stephanie's Profile Search for other posts by stephanie Visit stephanie's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Bumping this up to share Fr. Euteneuer's recent commentary on these books.

Quote:
Vampire Logic

With the issuing of the third movie in the Twilight series I have to speak out about our culture's twisted fascination with vampires. I don't hesitate to tell people that I am totally disgusted with the new fad sweeping over our youth culture these days. It is not just kids that are taken up with the wiles of the dark world either: many moms of teens are swooning for them too. I think that these seductive creatures are simply the spawn of the Harry Potter culture that has for over a decade now been indoctrinating kids to think that the occult world is normal and that all this evil messaging is harmless when dressed up as entertainment. That's vampire logic - and just what the devil wants us to think.

Gone are the days of Bella Lugosi's Dracula (1931) where good was good and evil was evil. A crucifix would drive Dracula away and then he had to go into his infernal coffin when the first streaks of dawn appeared. He was in every way presented as a creature of evil, dark of heart and dread to encounter. He drank human blood too, a feature that was supposed to strike terror in every person who valued his life's essence. The image of a blood-sucking creature who lives in slime and darkness and will pounce on you to drain out your very essence should terrorize every decent person. This is because vampires used to be images of demons. That's what demons are all about: the vanquishing of all human decency and life. They represent the spiritual vortexes of the demon world that drag down to the depths of hell all who fall prey to their wiles.

But, my, how vampires have come up in the world these days.

Nowadays vampires are divided into good and bad - no longer intrinsically evil. The good ones rescue vulnerable women instead of biting them and, allegedly, drink only animal blood (well, we haven't seen the last Twilight movie yet...). And crucifixes? Don't think you'll see any of those driving away bad guys in these movies. The heroes are the "good" vampires, not the Church or religious faith in Christ.

These super-star vampires also walk around in sunlight and, as a matter of fact, their skin just happens to glisten like diamonds when exposed to direct sunlight. Isn't that wonderful? The glam vamps are gentlemen, chaste and well-intentioned, yet they are always hovering around the edge of "falling" and in seductive situations which cause young people to think that they are capable, like their hero vampire, Edward Cullen, of going just so far and pulling back, out of self-control. That's teaching them to play with fire, not a real chastity message for kids.

The worst part of this fascination with vampires from a faith point of view, however, is its blasphemy of the Eucharist. "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you," said our Blessed Lord in Chapter 6 of John's Gospel. He is the One who offers His flesh and blood for the life of the world. The vampires eat (bite) the flesh and drink the blood of victims rather than give their own to redeem others. Their bites corrupt and transform their victims into vampires like themselves. They have no life in them. They are the "living dead" by their own estimate.

How sad that this generation has been so taken in by those who represent the very antithesis of the core reality of our Faith - the Eucharist. Vampire logic is anti-Eucharistic logic, and it's very dangerous for our kids. In their obsessive fascination with such darkness, kids (and adults) turn their backs on the One who actually died for them.

To those who say, "Oh, Father, it's only harmless entertainment," I say simply: You've been warned.

Sincerely,

Rev. Thomas J. Euteneuer
President, Human Life International

FWIW I have my kids read Dracula in high school to get a perspective on the evil aspect of vampires.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Thanks, Michele! My 14 yr old just asked about these books too. This text from Father E. is great support for future discussions. I know that this topic will come up more than once in our home.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

St. Ann wrote:
Thanks, Michele! My 14 yr old just asked about these books too. This text from Father E. is great support for future discussions. I know that this topic will come up more than once in our home.

Stephanie, this thread (Twilight series?) from late 2008 has more discussion and some really helpful links. Like Stef (steffodie) compiled a list of resources on her blog and there is a link to a blog - Spes Unica- started by a Catholic Youth Minister to follow this topic.

ETIDED to add: In addition to Fr. E, Michael O'Brien recently wrote and article addressing this as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

I have not read these books, but my oldest dd (an adult in her later twenties) has, and she rips the series to pieces in detail. She particularly rips into the characters of the two protagonists. From what she's told me, I would avoid having any minor read any of the books. According to her, the female protagonist is a whiny, self-absorbed brat, and the male protagonist is an obsessed stalker.

From what I've heard from my daughter, I wouldn't read these books (wasting brain space and time as well as reading about thoroughly unlikeable and amoral characters) if I was paid. If you want details, pm me and I'll send you my daughter's links that go over the books in grim detail. Caution: She reads things, has attitudes, and uses language that I do not approve of.

In Christ,

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2010 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote Belle

My 14 year old has read them. She loathes them. She read all of them though, she said it was like watching a train wreck. The writing is so awful it's hard to put it down, just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. Her scathing mockery of it compelled to me have a look myself. (I trust my daughter to make sound judgements even on topics that are a little controversial or in this case, out right dribble. And so far the trust is well placed)

She was right. It was horrible. But I couldn't put it down. I kept thinking to myself, someone actually published this?

Honestly, the first book was rejected 14 times before it was picked up and published. 14 different publishing companies recognised it for the twaddle it is. I'd love a list of those publishers so I can dedicate my business to them. They at least had the good sense to knock back the easy bucks in favour of their dignity.
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 29 2010 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Belle wrote:

She was right. It was horrible. But I couldn't put it down. I kept thinking to myself, someone actually published this?

14 different publishing companies recognised it for the twaddle it is. I'd love a list of those publishers so I can dedicate my business to them. They at least had the good sense to knock back the easy bucks in favour of their dignity.

Yes, because the publisher is making TONS of money, and I'll bet the other 14 are KICKING themselves.

I'm afraid most publishers are not very altruistic in their motivations. Even non-profit publishers will publish things they don't like but think will sell to make up for publishing the things they love but won't sell as much of.

I think the key phrase is "you couldn't put it down." That is what will sell more so than good writing. Look how popular soap operas are on television, and they have neither good writing or good acting and certainly qualify as train wrecks.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I read the first two of the series last summer, only b/c I had already decided they were bad, but I kept running into very faithful families who were allowing their teen daughters to read them, and claiming that b/c the characters don't actually have a s*&ual relationship, they're OK.

Bleh. There is no message of chastity for virtue's sake or anything; it is only b/c Edward is so strong and is afraid he will kill her that they refrain. And he sits in her bedroom and watches her sleep all night. Like someone else said, a stalker. And in the 2nd book (yes, I continued past the first just out of curiosity), Bella is nearly suicidal in her daredevil activities b/c she's so miserable without him.

There is Nothing in these books I'd want my kids to read them for. I think they are far worse than HP, where at least the good guys are fighting evil, and have chaste teen friendships.

I know a couple people who've let their kids see the Twilight movies, but not read the books, saying the movies aren't as bad. have no idea there as I won't give a dime of my money to those movies. (I used the library to read the 2 books)

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

CrunchyMom wrote:
Belle wrote:

14 different publishing companies recognised it for the twaddle it is. I'd love a list of those publishers so I can dedicate my business to them. They at least had the good sense to knock back the easy bucks in favour of their dignity.

Yes, because the publisher is making TONS of money, and I'll bet the other 14 are KICKING themselves.

I'm afraid most publishers are not very altruistic in their motivations. Even non-profit publishers will publish things they don't like but think will sell to make up for publishing the things they love but won't sell as much of.

Yes, I know. I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek when I made the dignity comment.

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2010 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

Karen T wrote:
I read the first two of the series last summer, only b/c I had already decided they were bad, but I kept running into very faithful families who were allowing their teen daughters to read them, and claiming that b/c the characters don't actually have a s*&ual relationship, they're OK.

Bleh. There is no message of chastity for virtue's sake or anything; it is only b/c Edward is so strong and is afraid he will kill her that they refrain. And he sits in her bedroom and watches her sleep all night. Like someone else said, a stalker. And in the 2nd book (yes, I continued past the first just out of curiosity), Bella is nearly suicidal in her daredevil activities b/c she's so miserable without him.

There is Nothing in these books I'd want my kids to read them for. I think they are far worse than HP, where at least the good guys are fighting evil, and have chaste teen friendships.

I know a couple people who've let their kids see the Twilight movies, but not read the books, saying the movies aren't as bad. have no idea there as I won't give a dime of my money to those movies. (I used the library to read the 2 books)

Karen

Actually, (not to defend this series) the reason Edward won't sleep with Bella is not just because he might kill her but because Edward is from a time where one should be married before one engages in a s**ual relationship. Which doesn't actually dawn on Bella because lets face it, the girl's not exactly quick on the uptake.

When he proposes to her in book three, it is because whilst he believes he's damned for what he is, (a vampire) on the slight chance that Carlisle might be right (that if they overcome their circumstance by not feeding on humans and using their immortality for altruistic purposes then maybe their souls can be saved after all, then he will protect Bella's virtue.

Although he's actually using her rampant teenage hormones against her by insisting that if she wants to have s*x with him then she must marry him first.

And yes, their relationship is nothing but uber creepy. And that's without factoring in the whole sparkling non-people killing vampire thing.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2010 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Twaddle. Plain and simple.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version