Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Angel Food books coordinated with... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I finally bought them from Sacred Heart Books and Gifts last night. I did not realize that Linda was having a sale; I might need to visit Sacred Heart Books and Gifts again. Thank you, Suzanne.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm really excited, I have just borrowed the first book from a friend, so we are starting this on Monday Wanting to clarify, it's the Baltimore Catechism Bk 2 you use isn't it?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We have been reading these stories. It has taken me months to finally bite the bullet and order them, but I'm so glad I did.

I have used the chart and read some of Baltimore Catechisim 1 along with it. I must admit to confusion about what the difference is? The questions seem to coordinate, at least in the beginning, with the chart, even though it isn't the same book?

My boys are too young to require memorizing it verbatim. At 3 and 5, I'd rather put that energy into learning things that come more easily to them like rhymes and poems. But, I do read from the catechism and get them to repeat some phrases (e.g., to know him, to love him, to serve him), and they LOVE these stories.

In fact, ds1 will listen to multiple stories on end. I like how gently they "moralize" or, rather, teach. It is much nicer than when I try to teach those things myself. He has such a gift for putting these ideas into a language that is understanding and appealing to children, and they are edifying for me as well.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

You can easily follow along with the Angel Food books (and the chart) whether you are using Baltimore Catechism #1 or #2. The catechism is laid out the same way, the answers are just a little more detailed for Baltimore Catechism #2. There might be a few more Q and A in #2 - but chapter for chapter they are the same I believe. I can't check/compare side by side right now because my books aren't with me...but I can check a little later and give you more specifics on the differences of the two books. I just remember that when the two kids were studying them side by side they coordinated, but my older daughter (using Baltimore Catechism 2) had slightly longer answers to memorize for some questions, but the Angel Food story still worked for both.

We are actually using the chart and the Angel Food books with Baltimore Catechism #1 right now if that helps. The order of presentation of the chapters is slightly different if you have a really old copy of the catechism, but those are referenced on the chart under the Baronius Press edition. Most of us use the St. Joseph revision of the Baltimore Catechism.

Lindsay,
I love the way you're doing this with the boys! That's what I'm doing with my little guy (4 almost 5yo). We work on one or two questions at a time from the Illustrated Cateshism for children (very simple questions and answers), and he just enjoys listening to the Angel Food Stories as I read to the other kids.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Both the baltimore catchism # 1 and the baltimore catchism # 2 cover cover the same topics using the same number of Chapters (so any chart corrolating the *lessons* with another resource will work with both the # 1 and the # 2 catechism).

The difference is that the there are more questions and answers in the #2 catechism and some answers are more in depth in #2.

For example in lesson eight there are seven Q&A in #1.
Lesson eight in #2 has those seven Q&A plus an additional eight.

Both #1 and #2 ask the question

What do we mean when we say that Christ will come from thence to judge the living and the dead? (question number 52 in #1 and 104 in #2)

The answer given in #1 is When we say that Christ will come from thence to judge the living and the dead, we mean that on the last day Our Lord will come to judge everyone who has ever lived in this world.

In #2 the answer is slightly more detailed.
When we say that Christ will come from thence to judge the living and the dead, we mean that on the last day Our Lord will come topronounce a sentence of eternal reward or of eternal punishment oneveryone who has ever lived in this world.

I use the St. Joseph First Communion Catechism (#0) with my children in grade two and under as the language is easy to understand and remember (it has 54 Q&A to learn). I've corrolated the Q&A with the Q&A for #1 and #2 since the lessons are not corrolated.

I've also made up flashcards for the children using the numbering for #1 but with the three levels of questions color-coded (yellow highlighting for the easy (#0) version, black for intermediate (#1) green for harder (#2), red for bible verses that go with the question. We use them for quiz games rather then direct drill, same objective but more fun :-)

I can put up a pdf of the flashcards and a chart on google docs if people want.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Bk. 1 & 2 have the same lesson titles; book 2 is just more detailed and a "lesson 38: The Our Father". I use No. 2 with all my kids, but I don't really require memorization exactly... we read through it slowly together and discuss it until I'm sure they know it pretty well, at least according to their ages. Last year I bought the first Angel Food book to try it out a bit and all my kids, even the 12 yo, really enjoyed them. The plans to coordinate with the Catechism faltered a bit, though, because my then 5 yo was always adamant in his demands to read "one more story!" So I think maybe I need to head over to that sale...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Erin

We started the book today. It is SO beautiful!! So Catholic, I'm going to start saving pennies to buy my own copy.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I finally sat down with my books and your spreadsheet, trying to make our reading plan. I have the Angel Food books, but in the old versions. The titles don't coordinate with the ones you used in your spreadsheet.

According to the originals, the Angel Food series was in this order:

I. Angel Food
II. For Heaven's Sake
III. Going His Way
IV Just for Juniors
V. Angel Food for Jack and Jill
VI. Angel Food Time

I'm so dismayed because I the one I don't have is the Jack and Jill one, and it's volume 1 in the Neumann Press set.

It's always something! $$$$$

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 15 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Does anyone know if there's a chance these will go back out of print any time soon?

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JaysFamily wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a chance these will go back out of print any time soon?

There's always a chance, but I wouldn't go out and buy just because of that. You will be able to find used versions of the original editions and the Neumann Press editions at some point. Sometimes I get panicky thinking I have to grab this resource now, but if I allow myself to walk away and think about it, it helps me make a more stable decision on focusing on what I need today.

But I will talk wholeheartedly about Father Brennan's books. I love, love, love his writing. I grew up with one book and it made a last impression on me. I have read a few stories to my son in the past few years and he has not forgotten them. So it's two generations of for us.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Angel Food series by Father Gerald Brennan was originally printed in the 40s by Bruce Publishing Company. There were six books in the series:

I. Angel Food
II. For Heaven's Sake
III. Going His Way
IV Just for Juniors
V. Angel Food for Jack and Jill
VI. Angel Food Time

Neumann Press has reissued 4 of the volumes, but in a different order:

I. Angel Food for Jack and Jill
II. Angel Food Time
III. Angel Food
IV. For Heaven's Sake

In addition to the series, there was a collection published in 1964 of 50 of the Angel Food stories in one volume, entitled Father Brennan's Favorite Stories. This is the only book I had growing up, but I read it cover to cover so many times.

With Jen's permission, I have added some information to her original spreadsheet. I know I'm not the only working with both in and out of print books.

I kept Jen's originl on the first worksheet and added two more worksheets (tabs on the bottom). The "Original editions" adds the two extra volumes corresponding Baltimore Catechism lessons, but it also is sorted and organized by the original volume number order. I also added an asterisk to any story that appears in Father Brennan's Favorite Stories.

The third worksheet is a list of all the catechism lessons and the stories from Father Brennan's Favorite Stories.

I started making individual worksheets for each volume, but that was mainly for my own information, and I thought it might be overkill to publicly share that.

Spreadsheet
2010-06-17_113243_Angel_Food_Balt_Catech_2_Lessons_Complete_ Edition.xls

Let me know if there problems or questions.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2010 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I have added some information to her original spreadsheet. I know I'm not the only working with both in and out of print books.

Jenn,
This is AMAZING!!!!! Actually, your whole post was extremely helpful coordinating the in and out of print series! Thank you, Jenn!!!!!   

This is a series that I'd like to complete with the out of print books, and your spreadsheet really adds to the helpfulness and being able to coordinate! I'm just so grateful!

...and I'm off to print!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
JaysFamily wrote:

There's always a chance, but I wouldn't go out and buy just because of that.

And...they've been a staple of Neumann Press offerings for so long...I think you're fine waiting until this purchase can be carefully discerned.

Agreeing with Jenn wholeheartedly though - we just love the Father Brennan books! All of my kids do! And, the Angel Food books are wonderful for reading outside of catechism lessons - on Marian Feasts, All Souls and All Saints, so many others! I frequently refer to the topical listing to reference a story that might fit the liturgical season.

Anyway, I wouldn't rush to purchase them. Take your time and work within your budget, but when you do consider them, know that they will likely be a very good and worthwhile investment. In the meantime, keep your eyes open at used book stores, and your parent's attic (see Mary's story somewhere on this thread ) for copies!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thank you, you are too sweet. It was your idea and if you hadn't set up your spreadsheet I wouldn't have been able to do it. I fret over the first steps of how to set up the spreadsheet.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For those that would like a preview of one of the stories, I have "The Most Beautiful Picture in the World" here.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I just came across this blog which has the Fr. Brennan stories online. They are not in order that I can tell, but they are cited. We love these stories, but the books are pricey, and I though this was a great resource so that one could at least preview before investing!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2011 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Lindsay thanks for the link. The set is on my wish list and just haven't purchased yet. I'll be browsing this site.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up with a question: the Angel Food books coordinate with the St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism, right?

I looked at Jenn's spread sheet and it says that it can coordinate with either?

I just got Volume II from Neumann Press, and I want to buy the catechism that would coordinate most closely with the stories. I am getting confused

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

The spreadsheet coordinates with the St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism.

If you have a Neumann Press edition of the Angel Food Stories (sounds like you do), you'll need to look on the first tab of the spreadsheet download, it says Neumann Press for the coordinating lesson/story.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 21 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks for clarifying that, Jen.

The St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism is what I like to use.

Also- had a heart attack when I looked on Amazon and saw the price of the plain Baltimore Catechism

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version