Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Once again, I have come to you smart women with a question. I am confused about the celebration of the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Here are my questions:

1.   When do you celebrate the Queenship? My liturgical calendar states that the Queenship is celebrated on August 22. The Catholic Culture website says: "Before the reform of the General Roman Calendar this feast was celebrated on May 31 and today was the feast of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary which is now celebrated on the Saturday following the Second Sunday after Pentecost."   But I know a lot of people who celebrate on May 31.

2. Is the Queenship also referred to as the Coronation?

3. In The Coronation page of the Rosary Coloring pages that Jen (I think) has loaded onto the internet and which are referenced in the Assumption thread - can someone explain some of the symbols to me - especially who the man on the right is supposed to be?

Thanks so much!

Waverley
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Some information about the history of the traditional and current calendars here.

The General Roman Calendar indicates the days of the year to which are assigned the liturgical celebrations of saints that are to be observed wherever the Roman Rite is used. The current calendar for the Roman Rite sets the date of the Queenship of Mary on August 22. Those who attend a Tridentine Latin Mass use the old calendar - the date on that calendar being the May 31st date.

The changes for the current calendar all have very specific meaning. I wish I could find a post that Jenn did specificaly on that (I'll keep looking). In the case of the Queenship of Mary, on the current calendar it takes place on the last day of the octave of the Solemnity of the Assumption. It is a fitting connection between Mary's Assumption into heaven and her crowning as Queen of Heaven.

And yes, the Queenship and Coronation are used interchangeably, as I understand it.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And I had to find the picture before addressing the question about symbols. All the figures above Mary in the picture and lowering the crown onto her head represent the Trinity. The one on the right is God the Father.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
The changes for the current calendar all have very specific meaning. I wish I could find a post that Jenn did specificaly on that (I'll keep looking). In the case of the Queenship of Mary, on the current calendar it takes place on the last day of the octave of the Solemnity of the Assumption. It is a fitting connection between Mary's Assumption into heaven and her crowning as Queen of Heaven.

The feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary was originally celebrated on August 22, in the octave of the Assumption. The revised General Roman Calendar of 1969 has this as an optional memorial the Saturday following the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, pairing the two feasts together.

May 31st was the original date for the Queenship of Mary. From Adolf Adam's Liturgical Year:

Quote:
The new Roman Calendar has trasnferred it to the octave day of the feast of Mary's Assumption into heaven, "in order to bring out more clearly between the Blessed Virgin Mary's Queenship and her Assumption."

When I was reading MUNIFICENTISSIMUS DEUS by Pope Pius XII, the
Apostolic Constitution defining ex cathedra the dogma of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, I was struck by this passage (emphasis mine):

Quote:
40. Hence the revered Mother of God, from all eternity joined in a hidden way with Jesus Christ in one and the same decree of predestination,[47] immaculate in her conception, a most perfect virgin in her divine motherhood, the noble associate of the divine Redeemer who has won a complete triumph over sin and its consequences, finally obtained, as the supreme culmination of her privileges, that she should be preserved free from the corruption of the tomb and that, like her own Son, having overcome death, she might be taken up body and soul to the glory of heaven where, as Queen, she sits in splendor at the right hand of her Son, the immortal King of the Ages.

It combines the Assumption with the Queenship of Mary, which made perfect sense for the the feast on August 22nd for me!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 18 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Thank you both so very much!! I knew y'all would have some great answers. I kind of thought that might be God in the Rosary coloring page but I wasn't sure.
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I just wanted to mention the changes to May 31st. It's still a Marian feast day, but the Feast of the Visitation instead of the Queenship of Mary.

Originally the Feast of the Visitation was July 2,

The Liturgical Year by Adolf Adam wrote:
chosen because it wast he day after the octave of the feast of John the Baptist's birth (June 24)....The new Roman Calendar has moved the feast to May 31. The reason given is that a date between the solemnities of the Annunciation and the Birth of John the Baptist accords better with the gospel story.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

Originally the Feast of the Visitation was July 2,

And it makes so much sense to now have the visitation on May 31st, since it's before the feast of the birth of St. John the Baptist in June!

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version