Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Traditional Calendar vs. New Calendar Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathochick
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote cathochick

How did you decide? What was your reasoning for choosing one over the other?

When DH and I were received into the Church, we chose February 23 because the calendar said it was the feast of St. Polycarp. We were impatient to "experience Lent as Catholics" and chose a feast day in the time we had remaining before Lent that year.

I bought a traditional calendar a little while back and found that February 23 is not the feast of St. Polycarp after all.

So how does one decide which one to follow?

Mom to Dom 9, and Joe 5.
The Dominican Bungalow
Back to Top View cathochick's Profile Search for other posts by cathochick Visit cathochick's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

We have both, of course we attend the TLM for several years now so it was easier for us to follow the traditional. However for ease and unity with friends we also celebrate using the new calendar, I suppose you could look at it as double feasting     

I know this does not help you, my point is relax, you will develop into your comfort zone.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 12 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathochick wrote:
How did you decide? What was your reasoning for choosing one over the other?

When DH and I were received into the Church, we chose February 23 because the calendar said it was the feast of St. Polycarp. We were impatient to "experience Lent as Catholics" and chose a feast day in the time we had remaining before Lent that year.

I bought a traditional calendar a little while back and found that February 23 is not the feast of St. Polycarp after all.

I love talking about the Roman calendar! Since I attend a church that uses the Paul VI 1970 Missal, I follow the current calendar.

There are many, many canonized saints in the Church and all have a corresponding date to celebrate their day. The problem is that there are too many. The Church over the years has revised the calendar a few times to make sure that the saints days didn't outnumber and overshadow the focus of the Liturgical Calendar: Christ and his Paschal Mysteries.

Currently, there is the Universal Calendar, which has the solemnities, feasts, memorials that should be celebrated by all throughout the world. Then there are various calendars for each country, celebrating feasts relevant to their country (i.e., US celebrated John Neumann, Elizabeth Seton, Katharine Drexel, Kateri Tekakwitha, etc.). Then there are calendars specifically related to religious orders, such as Franciscan, Carmelite, Dominican, Benedictine, which include many of their own saints. Then there are local dioceses and parishes which may have certain feast days they celebrate, related to their patron saints.

ALSO, there is an official Church listing called Roman Martyrology which contains a listing of saints for each day of the calendar year. There are more than one for each day...originally by the name I think it mainly had the martyred saints, but now it contains all the feasts. I have an older version, that was translated into English. In 2004 a new edition was made, but since it's in Latin, I haven't gotten a copy.

St. Polycarp's birthday is mentioned on February 23 in the old one, although his celebration in the old calendar is January 26. So, like Molly, you can celebrate both, as both are mentioned in the Martyrology. The revised calendar did move some feast days, many to the "birthday" of the saint (the day they died and went to heaven). I know Benedictines celebrate St. Benedict both in March and now July 11.

The Roman Martyrology is interesting reading for me. You can see how some days were picked...and there are a variety of choices, the death, the birth, transition of relics, beatification, and canonization dates. I always enjoy finding out the "whys" of dates.

I haven't checked this for total accuracy, but I found in Wikipedia:

Roman Calendar of Saints or here Current Calendar

and Traditional Catholic Calendar to compare.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

We use the traditional calendar because we attend the TLM. However, if you get the calendar from TAN, it lists both the new and old calendar feast days.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We Catholics sure feast a lot!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Bridget wrote:
We Catholics sure feast a lot!

I love talking and studying these calendar too. That's probably why I wrote a book about books throughout the year.

These are pdf files but Hillside offers both:

This Booklist
and
Traditional Calendar Booklist

Not all the dates are there, just the ones we have books to go with.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Thanks for the info about the TAN calendar! It is such an interesting comparison, but for us it gets to be a surprising point of contention. Most resources we use for homeschooling (daily planner, Catholic Mosaic, saint books, etc) follow the new calendar. But then my dh gets a little persnickity if there is a big departure from the old calendar. It's especially tricky around here on weekday feast days that have been moved to Sunday - (to go to the TLM on that day or not). Anyway - I will be looking into the TAN calendar for 2008!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version