Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: August - 31 Day Challenge Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Anne

OK Maybe it is a month and a week late. I saw this thread last month and was encouraged by all of you. I did not join then but now I really need to. I joined WW in June and have had some success but just a bit more encouragement is needed.

My goals for August:
Walk daily approx 1mile
Drink Water 6 servings of 8oz daily
Track my food intake
Get 5 fruits and Veggies daily

Thanks so much for this accountability
Blessings

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

My breathing still isn't up to walking outside, but I'm trying to be very inefficient at home. Making 5 trips up and down the stairs instead of consolidating things to limit the number of trips; I hope this adds to the calories I burn. Something has to make up for not being able to walk or hike! Still, I have lost 2 pounds this week. I'm thinking this has a lot to do with portion control - putting less on my plate and eating more slowly.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

hylabrook1 wrote:
I have lost 2 pounds this week.

Congratulations, Nancy!   

...and, yes, making trips up and down the stairs is what I call doing the real stairmaster. Who needs the machine when we have the real deal?!   

As for me being discouraged because of no signs of progess...this morning, the scale finally showed I'm back down to the starting point. Maybe my body has decided to stop holding on.

new sanity rule for me...only weigh myself once-a-week.    

Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Vanna

I didn't exercise yesterday due to being in a 4 hour interview (geesh).

I think having to talk about myself for that long definitely counts as a form of exercise (a mental marathon).

I've not lost anymore weight but I've maintained. I will keep try to do better.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

If only you would extend the deadline...I would surely have a GREAT weight loss...LOL..my babies are close to 10lbs...hehe!

but seriously...last weigh in I lost another 2 lbs despite a big growth in the baby. I love my 5-7 mi walks at night...we are starting to attract a crowd...more and more people from church are joining us..."we saw you walking and laughing and we wanted to know if we could do that too"...LOL! it is a fun way to make friends!

One thing that helps me in the water area is filling large mouth quart jars and leaving them in the fridge. I am more apt to drink it if I can SEE it when I look into the fridge for FOOD....drink first...eat later. I also do that with my pregnancy and red raspberry leaf tea...I make a strong large cup of that ahead of time and as it cools, pour it in another jar with extra water....no excuses now for me not to drink it.

HTH!

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc + one more due 10/08!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

OK, OK, OK. I know I need to be here. I completely ignored the topic back when Vanna first posted. Now I'm finally embracing the fact that I have to do something. And starting now!

Unlike most women who tend to put on weight during pregnancy, I tend to put it on in the post partum and nursing period. By the time my 5yo turned 2, I had taken off all that weight plus some using WW. I was at my thinnest since having children. It felt great. A big concern about having another baby was putting that weight back on. I did fine with weight gain during my last pregnancy, but once again starting putting weight on post partum.

Well, my baby is almost 2 now. And I haven't lost a pound. In fact, I weigh more now than I have ever weighed. It's very depressing but I couldn't muster up the desire to do anything about it until recently.

I need to start walking again. My older girls have been doing a yoga dvd with lots of great stretches, and I think I'll have to join them. I need to severely limit my intake of soda and sweets. (Maybe Sundays only, or count points with WW again. I'm not sure yet, but I know I don't do well with going completely cold turkey.) A food diary, whether with WW or just on my own, is a necessity.

I feel as if I'm on the edge to wanting to do this. But not quite there yet. Will you all pray for me?

(Clicking on "Post Reply" with much trepidation . . . .)

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Try, try again...
I am late in the August start but motivated this time
Ds's soccer coach said soccer is 10% foot skills and 90% fitness. Shouldn't affect me, right? No, it motivated me.
I am going to work on my fitness while helping ds.
Ds, dd and I, are going to try to do the Cool Running Couch to 5K beginnner running program. DD is motivated by some VERY cute pink running shoes she saw at Dicks when we picked up ds's soccer cleats. She is 5 going on 15.
It is 20-30 minutes of running and walking and looks just perfect for me--and gentle for the kids.
So, Monday dd and the pup and I will run while ds is at soccer. We will also run Wednesday and Friday with the weekend to make up a missed run.
I am going to try to continue county fair week and company week. These types of things REALLY throw me for a loop and it takes for-ever to get back to exercise.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Vanna
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Vanna

Irene,

Of course we will pray for you! I'm sort of the same way...only I gained weight during and after pregnancy...*cough*andbefore*cough*. LOL

I did a belly dance dvd last night. I banished the husband and the kids from the living room and shimmed for about 30 minutes. It was fun!

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I have walked every day, except for 2 (which I planned for) and also swam every day this month so far.

I am not being very faithful about keeping a food diary. Even though I had just given myself the goal to KEEP one and not necessarily change eating habits, I know I need to make better choices. Unfortunately, I'm a stress eater and suddenly a bunch of new stresses appeared on top of old ones. No excuses though! I vow to do better for the remainder of the month. Because next month the eating changes go into effect!!

I love reading the updates :)

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm back from our staycation and I'm ready to go!

Vanna wrote:
Michaela,

If you like to walk, check out the Leslie Sansone Walk DVD workouts. They are great. Leslie Sansone Website

These are the DVDs I use, per Leonie's recommendation last year. Leslie is pleasant enough to watch over and over and over (and I use the *music only* option .) I picked here DVDs up at Walmart.

mellyrose wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

Thanks so much for the food diary suggestion. I just set up a free account at www.fitday.com and it looks promising. Are the tools at Prevention similar? (I like your picture!)

Love,

Angie, I think the tools are very similar, and might even be the same back end. Can you post your mood on fitday as well as food and activities?

I don't know, yet. I'll look! I'm looking for something that shows fiber counts. Oh...on this site, I could add some specialty foods but couldn't add all the vitamin breakdowns, like vitamin K (I think.)

JodieLyn wrote:
I might get out the tape measure though.. that should be a nicely accurate way to see progress.. but I'll think about that.. not sure I want to see those numbers yet

This is what Theresa Tapp recommends, measuring inches instead of weight (or in addition to weight.) I'm going to give it a try .

I've done TTapp for 2 days and so far, so good! I'm doing it with my dd and ds which makes it more fun. We're doing th 15 minute DVD and it will take a bit to master it. It looks really simple but I tell you, I have huffed and complained and taken breaks because I'm such a baby! My dd (karate) and ds (baseball) are both fit but they were whining and complaining and laughing about it too! It's just that the moves are a bit odd at first.

The water thing is so humbling...I mean, come on...I can't manage to drink a glass of water per hour? Sheesh.

The veggies are coming along...cooking more soups, making more salads, drinking V8 and "green" drinks. Baby steps.

Walking will need to wait until I get the TTAPP thing down.

Good job, ladies! Keep it going!! Praying for all of us!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I need to get back on track! My baby will be 1 next month and I am determined to lose some of these dreadful inches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walk everyday at least 1 mile- goal to aim for is 16 miles a week using my favorite Leslie Sansone tape I had success with her in the past so I'll use it again.

Drink lots of water

Reach for fruit/veggies when I'm hungry

Limit all meals to one serving, no seconds

Get a frsh haircut that always motivates me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a size 16 and would be thrilled to wear a size 12 again. Inches are what I'm watching, not the scale, it never seems to move fast enough.

This week I have walked 8 miles, hopefully next week I'll meet my 16 mile goal.

Thanks for the motivation!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Angie Mc wrote:
I'm back from our staycation and I'm ready to go!
I'm looking for something that shows fiber counts. Oh...on this site, I could add some specialty foods but couldn't add all the vitamin breakdowns, like vitamin K (I think.)

I don't know if you'd consider paying the $39.99 (a sale price right now off the usual $49.99,) but I just wanted again to plug my favorite program, DietPower. No, we don't make any money off it in any way! You can see a lot about it on their Website and the 15-day free trial of the full program does not involve giving them your credit card info and having to remember to cancel -- it just stops working if you don't buy it.

I think it's really helped me keep a close eye on my nutrition and weight gain during this pregnancy (and it does exercise tracking too.) It has settings that are for people who are not looking to lose weight and even adjusts my nutrient recommendations based on pregnancy.

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Finally another walk -- approx. 0.89 miles in 30 minutes. Just like my last walk on August 4. Only walked on three out of nine days so far this month.

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

insegnante wrote:
Only walked on three out of nine days so far this month.

Don't think of it that way!

You walked 3 days, Theresa!!   
You got out there and did it!

BTW, I saw the distance before you came back to edit it. Too cute!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Michaela wrote:

BTW, I saw the distance before you came back to edit it. Too cute!

Yeah, oops! Can even an airplane go 89 miles in 30 minutes? Well, last night I managed to take yet another (approximately) 0.89 mile walk in 30 minutes! 4 out of 10 days now...

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Approx. 1.37 miles in 50 minutes tonight. Up to 5 out of 11 days of August!

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I just want to say -- that I REALLY didn't want to walk this morning. Slept later than I have the last few days, woke up with the beginnings of a migraine, really didn't feel like dragging myself out the door.

I did it, though. My head still hurt when I got home, and I walked a shorter distance than usual, but I was proud of myself that I walked anyway. Physically, it didn't really help, but mentally, it definitely did.

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Good for you, Melanie!    I sure hope your head is feeling better. Headaches are rotten!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Tonight, 1 hour 1 minute, 1.76 miles. 6 out of 12 days this month!

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 13 2008 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Approx. 1.02 miles, 35 minutes tonight. 7 out of 13 days in August...

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version